New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #45
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doberzus View Post
If you do not need 4 doors (especially guys coming from the F82/M4) and can justify the extra $10K. I would HIGHLY suggest getting the TTRS, if you're looking for crazy acceleration, traction, exclusivity.

The TTRS is roughly 300lbs lighter and has a much nicer interior, from the seats to the steering wheel directly from the current R8. Has a shorter wheelbase and overall a more "sportier" car. The TTRS is also more exclusive and rarer at this point and you won't see them everywhere like the M/AMG counterparts.

I already ran two STOCK 2017 GTR's (one was a buddies and the other a guy I met at a car meet). The TTRS only got pulled by *half a car length from 40-115 and 60-120. We were basically neck and neck until we started getting deeper into triple digits. With a simple stage 1 tune, we are talking high 10s @126-129MPH traps.

Not even going to mention how hard the TTRS pulled on the GT350. These 2.5L 5 cylinders are the real deal. You do not feel the "thrust" of the motor. However, with the lightweight, the car really MOVES out. I cannot say enough good things when it comes to the performance of this car. I will admit, it's a lot more boring to drive than the F80, Hellcat and GT350. I do miss the more RAW feel of the F80.
I drove a stock RS3 yesterday & oh man was it fun. More fun than the F80 M4 I drove IMO. Maybe b/c I got to toss it around & didn't toss the M4 around? M4 interior was nicer, minus seats, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #46
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

New RS3 and TTRS are cool little cars. For sure. If I lived somewhere where I could use AWD, I'd have one.
      06-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #47
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
New RS3 and TTRS are cool little cars. For sure. If I lived somewhere where I could use AWD, I'd have one.
It rains in Charleston....

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #48
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
It rains in Charleston....

Sure does. Nothing like getting the back out in the wet. But it doesn't snow, well, often. That's where I draw the line for AWD.
      06-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #49
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

The other elephant in the room is that the RS3 sounds like a mini R8 V10 whereas our F8X cars sound like complete trash.

You can make a car fast and sound good...who knew!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #50
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
AWD is valuable for improved traction in dry conditions no matter where you live. And as a corollary, RWD is very viable in the snow-belt as many of us can attest. So location isn't really the important parameter.

I'm sure you are aware that an AWD Lamborghini or 911 Turbo is not intended to be a sports car for the winter. So then, an AWD performance car of any other type - even types which are much more practical than a Lamborghini or Porsche - is not necessarily intended expressly for winter use either. That's why AWD high performance cars, just like RWD ones, typically come with summer tires.

If you like RWD, you like RWD. Nothing wrong with that. But to suggest your geographical location should be used as a basis to rule out AWD vehicles is misguided, I'd say. It's not much different from someone who drives a FWD car saying, "If I commuted to work on a race-track, maybe I'd consider RWD."
Appreciate 2
3002 tii2281.50
XMetal1131.00
      06-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #51
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Meh, Haldex isn't fun. It's fwd with tiny little rear drive shafts for shuttling a little bit of power back when there's an abundance of slip. Sure, VAG has a better setup than MB, Volvo or BMW/MINI's versions, but it's still pretty deficient in the fun to drive category. You also used two rear/mid engine super cars as your corollary. Maybe look at a picture of an RS3 again?

I drive a fwd car, but mainly because I preference a manual over which end is driven and getting a manual, rwd wagon or hatch is impossible in the US. And manuals are the cornerstone of dumb logical arguments. But I for one totally understand someone ignoring fwd or awd cars. Rwd is absolutely more fun. Maybe not faster, but we're driving around on city streets, and at least my personal sponsorship and prize purses are non existent.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #52
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Meh, Haldex isn't fun. It's fwd with tiny little rear drive shafts for shuttling a little bit of power back when there's an abundance of slip. Sure, VAG has a better setup than MB, Volvo or BMW/MINI's versions, but it's still pretty deficient in the fun to drive category. You also used two rear/mid engine super cars as your corollary. Maybe look at a picture of an RS3 again?
The point wasn't to say an RS3 was a supercar though. Did it really seem like that was what I was trying to say? The person I replied to made a post about AWD, geography, and in a follow-up, weather. Even if the thread were regarding an RS5, an R8, or indeed any AWD performance car, his comment and logic would still apply. That was what I addressed with my reply and I am surprised there could be any ambiguity in that fact. In fact, even though he did not mention it, just to be thorough I addressed the matter of preference as well.

So, no, no need to check out any more RS3 pictures - I am quite familiar with it's mechanical details. It was simply a matter of those not being relevant to the point being covered.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #53
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
AWD is valuable for improved traction in dry conditions no matter where you live. And as a corollary, RWD is very viable in the snow-belt as many of us can attest. So location isn't really the important parameter.

I'm sure you are aware that an AWD Lamborghini or 911 Turbo is not intended to be a sports car for the winter. So then, an AWD performance car of any other type - even types which are much more practical than a Lamborghini or Porsche - is not necessarily intended expressly for winter use either. That's why AWD high performance cars, just like RWD ones, typically come with summer tires.

If you like RWD, you like RWD. Nothing wrong with that. But to suggest your geographical location should be used as a basis to rule out AWD vehicles is misguided, I'd say. It's not much different from someone who drives a FWD car saying, "If I commuted to work on a race-track, maybe I'd consider RWD."
OK. I like RWD and would not switch to AWD unless I had to based on geographical location and weather conditions. I used to live somewhere where that was a thing. I've had RWD cars and driven them in the snow with appropriate kit, but it can be pretty damned tedious and infeasible when it gets deep. AWD is immensely capable in all conditions but it is flat out boring.
      06-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #54
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK. I like RWD and would not switch to AWD unless I had to based on geographical location and weather conditions... AWD is immensely capable in all conditions but it is flat out boring.
Very reasonable. As I say, absolutely nothing wrong with preferring RWD.

Only reason I replied was because it genuinely sounded like you thought AWD was there for driving in bad weather rather than being a performance attribute of the vehicle. Words matter I guess, right? Anyway, have a good one.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #55
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
The point wasn't to say an RS3 was a supercar though. Did it really seem like that was what I was trying to say? The person I replied to made a post about AWD, geography, and in a follow-up, weather. Even if the thread were regarding an RS5, an R8, or indeed any AWD performance car, his comment and logic would still apply. That was what I addressed with my reply and I am surprised there could be any ambiguity in that fact. In fact, even though he did not mention it, just to be thorough I addressed the matter of preference as well.

So, no, no need to check out any more RS3 pictures - I am quite familiar with it's mechanical details. It was simply a matter of those not being relevant to the point being covered.
You can at least recognize that you're arguing capability and the OP is arguing involvement, correct?

And even so, the GT2 RS still manages to survive and thrive without awd. The 911 benefits all around from its rearward balance and the inherent grip that provides. The RS3 is sort of the opposite, it even has wider front tires to try to reduce understeer.

It will be interesting to see how the R8 RWS measures up too. It's nice to see a few brands move to offering the choice of awd or rwd after the initial push swept many things to awd only.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #56
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can at least recognize that you're arguing capability and the OP is arguing involvement, correct?
Assuming you mean the OP as in the member whose post I replied to, the answer is "No."

Based on the language in the post I replied to, no, involvement was not the topic at all. You can see that clearly if you read his post and his follow-up. But as I already said, I did cover preference, just to contrast the point that I understood was being made and which I was responding to. Later he clarified his position, I acknowledged it, and we moved on.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how the R8 RWS measures up too. It's nice to see a few brands move to offering the choice of awd or rwd after the initial push swept many things to awd only.
Yes, I think both RWD and AWD are great for performance cars. Even FWD works in some cases. That we still have choices is fantastic.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      06-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #57
El Conquistador
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240 Vert - 6M as god intended

I wish they made a version with a manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
rr006rbc1204.00
      06-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #58
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
The other elephant in the room is that the RS3 sounds like a mini R8 V10 whereas our F8X cars sound like complete trash.

Another subjective statement. Many people enjoy the sound of the N55.
      06-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #59
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

M3/M4 don't have N55's.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #60
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
M3/M4 don't have N55's.
Does anything now that the M2 has gone to the S55?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #61
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

wtf
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #62
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post

I have no idea what you're talking about. I show a lot of pride when people compliment my car and how it sounds like a weed wacker.
Appreciate 2
Red Bread4463.00
      06-05-2018, 10:35 PM   #63
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anything now that the M2 has gone to the S55?
The new G05 X5 40i just debuted with the B58, so for MY2019 only the F16 X6 35i and F06 640i GC continue on with the N55. They’ll both be gone by mid next year (X6 35i replaced by the G06 X6 40i, 640i GC discontinued to make way for the G16 840i GC), and the N55 will officially be history.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      06-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #64
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about. I show a lot of pride when people compliment my car and how it sounds like a weed wacker.
touche sir...touche
Appreciate 1
NickyC17461.50