New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-25-2022, 07:23 PM   #67
BGM-M3COMP
Colonel
BGM-M3COMP's Avatar
1873
Rep
2,365
Posts

Drives: 2022 M3C
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Built is the key word...have fun "building" an EV.
Who gives a shit about building these days LOL.

That's why there's many tiers of performance cars that come with a warranty. So you don't have to touch them.

EV's are so fast, you just get in and go. And stomp your "build" into pieces.
__________________
2022 model 3 LR.
Kia ev6 - order cancelled
Model s plaid on order
Model y performance also on order
Model x plaid maybe Iíll order too
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 07:51 PM   #68
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Canada
3901
Rep
3,314
Posts

Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Who gives a shit about building these days LOL.

That's why there's many tiers of performance cars that come with a warranty. So you don't have to touch them.

EV's are so fast, you just get in and go. And stomp your "build" into pieces.
My point is, what you buy is what you get with an EV. Yes they're fast and can take out almost any ICE vehicle on the road, but it ends there. Part of the fun of owning a car, in my opinion, is making it your own. The mechanical parts that can be upgraded and changed to make your car different from your neighbors. Whether that be for speed, sound, etc. It's part of the reason why so many people are on these forums as well. If you buy a Plaid because you want the fastest thing out there, the only thing to do if you want more, is buy another newer/better car. From an enthusiasts standpoint, they become so disposable. There's no legacy or history that comes along with an EV and the ownership...newer will always be better (like a cell phone). I doubt people are going to be looking back on old Plaids in 10-15 years and feeling nostalgic enough to want to "bring back the good ol days ". Every model year will be forgotten, and it's that part of car culture that will be forgotten as well. Makes me sad.
__________________
Current: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2022 Audi Q7
Gone: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2020 BMW M340i / 2019 Audi Q7 / 2019 Audi S5 Sportback / 2019 Audi S4 / 2018 Audi S5 Coupe / 2018 Lexus IS350
Appreciate 4
Cos270472.50
Efthreeoh12070.00
chad86tsi961.50
      11-25-2022, 08:05 PM   #69
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Cos270's Avatar
473
Rep
317
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
My point is, what you buy is what you get with an EV. Yes they're fast and can take out almost any ICE vehicle on the road, but it ends there. Part of the fun of owning a car, in my opinion, is making it your own. The mechanical parts that can be upgraded and changed to make your car different from your neighbors. Whether that be for speed, sound, etc. It's part of the reason why so many people are on these forums as well. If you buy a Plaid because you want the fastest thing out there, the only thing to do if you want more, is buy another newer/better car. From an enthusiasts standpoint, they become so disposable. There's no legacy or history that comes along with an EV and the ownership...newer will always be better (like a cell phone). I doubt people are going to be looking back on old Plaids in 10-15 years and feeling nostalgic enough to want to "bring back the good ol days ". Every model year will be forgotten, and it's that part of car culture that will be forgotten as well. Makes me sad.
Don't waste your breath. This is a person that laughs at people's vehicles being "taken away from them". He's an immature troll.
Appreciate 3
gatorfast4714.00
Efthreeoh12070.00
      11-25-2022, 08:40 PM   #70
G MONEY
Captain
346
Rep
898
Posts

Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: EARTH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Who gives a shit about building these days LOL.

That's why there's many tiers of performance cars that come with a warranty. So you don't have to touch them.

EV's are so fast, you just get in and go. And stomp your "build" into pieces.
My point is, what you buy is what you get with an EV. Yes they're fast and can take out almost any ICE vehicle on the road, but it ends there. Part of the fun of owning a car, in my opinion, is making it your own. The mechanical parts that can be upgraded and changed to make your car different from your neighbors. Whether that be for speed, sound, etc. It's part of the reason why so many people are on these forums as well. If you buy a Plaid because you want the fastest thing out there, the only thing to do if you want more, is buy another newer/better car. From an enthusiasts standpoint, they become so disposable. There's no legacy or history that comes along with an EV and the ownership...newer will always be better (like a cell phone). I doubt people are going to be looking back on old Plaids in 10-15 years and feeling nostalgic enough to want to "bring back the good ol days ". Every model year will be forgotten, and it's that part of car culture that will be forgotten as well. Makes me sad.
That's why you need a car that can beat the plaid. One of these days I will catch 1 when I'm in the GTR. Can't wait to see the look on the Chad's face when I walk him
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 08:53 PM   #71
G80indy
Save the Manuals
G80indy's Avatar
1424
Rep
2,749
Posts

Drives: Z3, E46, G80
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

Don't feed the troll
__________________
2023 G80 6MT, CCBs
2002 330i Dinan, 5MT
2000 Z3 Conforti, 5MT
Appreciate 4
Cos270472.50
gatorfast4714.00
E46ZHP245.00
Efthreeoh12070.00
      11-26-2022, 08:24 AM   #72
BGM-M3COMP
Colonel
BGM-M3COMP's Avatar
1873
Rep
2,365
Posts

Drives: 2022 M3C
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
My point is, what you buy is what you get with an EV. Yes they're fast and can take out almost any ICE vehicle on the road, but it ends there. Part of the fun of owning a car, in my opinion, is making it your own. The mechanical parts that can be upgraded and changed to make your car different from your neighbors. Whether that be for speed, sound, etc. It's part of the reason why so many people are on these forums as well. If you buy a Plaid because you want the fastest thing out there, the only thing to do if you want more, is buy another newer/better car. From an enthusiasts standpoint, they become so disposable. There's no legacy or history that comes along with an EV and the ownership...newer will always be better (like a cell phone). I doubt people are going to be looking back on old Plaids in 10-15 years and feeling nostalgic enough to want to "bring back the good ol days ". Every model year will be forgotten, and it's that part of car culture that will be forgotten as well. Makes me sad.
This isn’t the 90s or the 2000s. Car makers build their performance cars that will exceed any of the buyers capabilities.

How many proven studies have shown that in the multi billion dollar business of modifying cars more often than not and the number is probably staggering that when people modify their car it makes the car WORSE. Or you can pay a shop to do the work and claim “my car was built not bought” lmao. And lose your warranty in the process. Worry about noises, engine blowing up, tune being right and all that bullshit to your expensive car just to go 1 more second faster in the 1/4 lol.

These ev’s will all soon be 11, 10 or 9 second daily drivers that give you full confidence of not only being safe with the latest tech, but the all wheel drive and the fierce urgency of going fast because of the electric motors.

Imagine daily driving a 9 second car with a warranty.

Yeah that’s a plaid.
__________________
2022 model 3 LR.
Kia ev6 - order cancelled
Model s plaid on order
Model y performance also on order
Model x plaid maybe Iíll order too
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 08:34 AM   #73
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
1102
Rep
436
Posts

Drives: 2022 M240i
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
This isnít the 90s or the 2000s. Car makers build their performance cars that will exceed any of the buyers capabilities.

How many proven studies have shown that in the multi billion dollar business of modifying cars more often than not and the number is probably staggering that when people modify their car it makes the car WORSE. Or you can pay a shop to do the work and claim ďmy car was built not boughtĒ lmao. And lose your warranty in the process. Worry about noises, engine blowing up, tune being right and all that bullshit to your expensive car just to go 1 more second faster in the 1/4 lol.

These evís will all soon be 11, 10 or 9 second 0-60 daily drivers because horsepower will be regulated and rationed..
that give you full confidence of not only being safe with the latest tech, but the all wheel drive and the fierce urgency of going fast because of the electric motors.

Imagine daily driving a 9 second car with a warranty.

Yeah thatís a plaid.
FIFY
Appreciate 2
Cos270472.50
Efthreeoh12070.00
      11-26-2022, 08:51 AM   #74
BGM-M3COMP
Colonel
BGM-M3COMP's Avatar
1873
Rep
2,365
Posts

Drives: 2022 M3C
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Just like today, there will be tiers.

Soccer mom suv will be 13 second cars. Higher performance models will be 11 seconds and those hyper models, of whatever variant will be 9 or even faster.

The future is exciting!
__________________
2022 model 3 LR.
Kia ev6 - order cancelled
Model s plaid on order
Model y performance also on order
Model x plaid maybe Iíll order too
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #75
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Canada
3901
Rep
3,314
Posts

Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
This isnít the 90s or the 2000s. Car makers build their performance cars that will exceed any of the buyers capabilities.

How many proven studies have shown that in the multi billion dollar business of modifying cars more often than not and the number is probably staggering that when people modify their car it makes the car WORSE. Or you can pay a shop to do the work and claim ďmy car was built not boughtĒ lmao. And lose your warranty in the process. Worry about noises, engine blowing up, tune being right and all that bullshit to your expensive car just to go 1 more second faster in the 1/4 lol.

These evís will all soon be 11, 10 or 9 second daily drivers that give you full confidence of not only being safe with the latest tech, but the all wheel drive and the fierce urgency of going fast because of the electric motors.

Imagine daily driving a 9 second car with a warranty.

Yeah thatís a plaid.
I'm absolutely done with you. Your responses are so nonsensical it makes my brain bleed. Enjoy your EV.
__________________
Current: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2022 Audi Q7
Gone: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback / 2020 BMW M340i / 2019 Audi Q7 / 2019 Audi S5 Sportback / 2019 Audi S4 / 2018 Audi S5 Coupe / 2018 Lexus IS350
Appreciate 1
gatorfast4714.00
      11-26-2022, 12:08 PM   #76
G MONEY
Captain
346
Rep
898
Posts

Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: EARTH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Just like today, there will be tiers.

Soccer mom suv will be 13 second cars. Higher performance models will be 11 seconds and those hyper models, of whatever variant will be 9 or even faster.

The future is exciting!
Yawn X4
Appreciate 3
gatorfast4714.00
Efthreeoh12070.00
      11-26-2022, 04:28 PM   #77
G80indy
Save the Manuals
G80indy's Avatar
1424
Rep
2,749
Posts

Drives: Z3, E46, G80
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

You guys - don't feed the troll- nor permit takeover of the thread— it's his M.O.

Anyways….
The reason I love my G80 M3 manual is
Well…
It's a manual !
And ….
I know that it will have the same performance when I start it up in 10 years.
The performance won't have degraded. This is a huge factor for me because it's a Fairweather car and I take it out when I want to,
When the weather is perfect — nothing but smiles on my face.

I would never consider an EV because the battery bank starts to degrade as soon as you park in the garage. The battery levels over time degrade and there's nothing anyone can say to change that. No long novel-like thread replies.

Long live fossil fuels. 😉💪🏻
__________________
2023 G80 6MT, CCBs
2002 330i Dinan, 5MT
2000 Z3 Conforti, 5MT
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 06:58 PM   #78
RM7
Brigadier General
RM7's Avatar
2521
Rep
3,107
Posts

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
I would never consider an EV because the battery bank starts to degrade as soon as you park in the garage. The battery levels over time degrade and there's nothing anyone can say to change that. No long novel-like thread replies.

Long live fossil fuels. 😉💪🏻
Wow, that sounds like your intake manifold with DI
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 07:29 PM   #79
G80indy
Save the Manuals
G80indy's Avatar
1424
Rep
2,749
Posts

Drives: Z3, E46, G80
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

Only in a car that's not well-maintained. I doubt M owners would let that happen.
Is your Camaro or Stinger DI ?
__________________
2023 G80 6MT, CCBs
2002 330i Dinan, 5MT
2000 Z3 Conforti, 5MT
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 08:45 PM   #80
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
4425
Rep
9,144
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
Only in a car that's not well-maintained. I doubt M owners would let that happen.
Is your Camaro or Stinger DI ?
Do you really not know the answer? It's weird that you can be a BMW enthusiast and think that the average BMW owner knows anything about carbon buildup but not know if other cars have DI. Hint, they do.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 09:28 PM   #81
chad86tsi
Lieutenant
chad86tsi's Avatar
962
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Portland metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Do you really not know the answer? It's weird that you can be a BMW enthusiast and think that the average BMW owner knows anything about carbon buildup but not know if other cars have DI. Hint, they do.

Did you miss the sarcasm/irony?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 09:30 PM   #82
G80indy
Save the Manuals
G80indy's Avatar
1424
Rep
2,749
Posts

Drives: Z3, E46, G80
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

He Sure did
__________________
2023 G80 6MT, CCBs
2002 330i Dinan, 5MT
2000 Z3 Conforti, 5MT
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 11:00 PM   #83
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
4425
Rep
9,144
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

It is the internet.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 04:22 AM   #84
RM7
Brigadier General
RM7's Avatar
2521
Rep
3,107
Posts

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Do you really not know the answer? It's weird that you can be a BMW enthusiast and think that the average BMW owner knows anything about carbon buildup but not know if other cars have DI. Hint, they do.
Well, the stinger has port injection, so it doesnt have the DI-only issue that a lot of engines have. The camaro has a stock catch can on one side, but really should have both to avoid the issue, or port like the stinger and mustang. Bmw, like others, only cares about the car getting past the warranty period.

I seriously doubt the majority or even a good % of M owners blast/clear their intake manifold every 10 or 20k.
Appreciate 2
Cos270472.50
BGM-M3COMP1872.50
      11-27-2022, 11:30 AM   #85
G80indy
Save the Manuals
G80indy's Avatar
1424
Rep
2,749
Posts

Drives: Z3, E46, G80
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

One thing about Tesla that's appealing is the low maintenance.

Re DI
Buildup on the back of valves is also from oil mist. Lack of routine oil changes - letting the oil get really dirty.
Only put VPower in the tank
Change oil often

YMMV
it doesn't keep me up at night that's for sure.
ICE trade offs are well worth it for the sound, feeling and emotion.
Don't want an expensive golf cart.
Not to mention the farcical lies of EVs being green —
__________________
2023 G80 6MT, CCBs
2002 330i Dinan, 5MT
2000 Z3 Conforti, 5MT
Appreciate 2
      11-27-2022, 12:39 PM   #86
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
4425
Rep
9,144
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
One thing about Tesla that's appealing is the low maintenance.

Re DI
Buildup on the back of valves is also from oil mist. Lack of routine oil changes - letting the oil get really dirty.
Only put VPower in the tank
Change oil often

YMMV
it doesn't keep me up at night that's for sure.
ICE trade offs are well worth it for the sound, feeling and emotion.
Don't want an expensive golf cart.
Not to mention the farcical lies of EVs being green —
Good grief. The farcical lies just happen to be true, full life cycle. Most EVs break even around 30k miles and unless you live in West Virginia, charging is cleaner too. Oil extraction isn't a clean, easy process either and the hope of solid state batteries would really swing this into an even easier argument.

Full disclosure, I drive a manual VW and have one that gets even worse mileage on order.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 12:51 PM   #87
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
12070
Rep
17,412
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Good grief. The farcical lies just happen to be true, full life cycle. Most EVs break even around 30k miles and unless you live in West Virginia, charging is cleaner too. Oil extraction isn't a clean, easy process either and the hope of solid state batteries would really swing this into an even easier argument.

Full disclosure, I drive a manual VW and have one that gets even worse mileage on order.
Wait, 30,000 mile break even? (need to show the math on that statistic) And what, West Virginia?
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 12:53 PM   #88
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
4425
Rep
9,144
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Good grief. The farcical lies just happen to be true, full life cycle. Most EVs break even around 30k miles and unless you live in West Virginia, charging is cleaner too. Oil extraction isn't a clean, easy process either and the hope of solid state batteries would really swing this into an even easier argument.

Full disclosure, I drive a manual VW and have one that gets even worse mileage on order.
Wait, 30,000 mile break even? (need to show the math on that statistic) And what, West Virginia?
West Virginia is all coal, hard to charge an EV on coal and claim you're clean. Texas is still about 15% coal, so it's a longer payoff down here too, without reverting to solar, which, of course, has its own life cycle issues.

There are a number of independent white papers on full life cycle comparisons, this is a link to one example. One factor to consider too is that the US hasn't built a new refinery in forty five years and the annual costs of upkeep on those old things is continuing to rise. Of course we also but quite a bit of refined gas and diesel too, but even international refineries are nearly as old. There have been large investments in new facilities for biodiesel and SAF, but as yet, only Porsche is really doing any significant work on synthetic unleaded.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/07...tudy-confirms/
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST