New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #23
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant.S View Post
You can tell by the lines near the oil filter housing.
Thanks a lot!!! I can't believe my own eyes... I wonder what the part number of that thing is. I looks like they rearranged some other stuff down there as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #24
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Correct. Oil cooler is on the passenger side. On the M3 if im not mistaken its the gearbox oil cooler that sits in front of the radiator, no?
Not on the M3. The gearbox oil cooler is the heat exchanger to the left of the main radiator. The oil cooler is a thinner heat exchanger that sits in front of the main radiator.

M24, a German company well known for racing, makes an upgraded oil cooler for the M3:

Last edited by Hujan; 11-29-2013 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #25
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Ahhhh... Thanks! I was just reading a thread about some guy in Russia that fitted a DCT on his N54 powered 335 and then retrofited the transmission cooler from the M3 on his DCT.
      11-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #26
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

OP check this out http://www.burgertuning.com/low_temp...W_135_335.html
      11-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #27
MarleyBarley
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 35i

Pretty cool. Anybody tried it?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #28
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleyBarley View Post
Pretty cool. Anybody tried it?
That's actually pretty awesome. Sounds like it would be a great way to go. Any reason it won't work for our cars? N54 is N54, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #29
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
That's actually pretty awesome. Sounds like it would be a great way to go. Any reason it won't work for our cars? N54 is N54, right?
I thought so until Constant.S posted that picture earlier in this thread (edit: my 09 car has an oil cooler, and I couldn't believe that any Z4 35i were produced without it - I was wrong). Anyway, I assume this could be coded into the ECU as well? (Edit: no, because the thermostat is mechanical, and so is the oil pump btw) It would be cool if the "start oil pump" temp could just be set 10 degrees lower.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 12-06-2013 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: facts added
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #30
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
There's a 'theoretical' downside in the bypassing the thermostat keeps the oil below its normal operating temperature for longer, which 'theoretically' would cause more wear and emissions.

I think the ideal fix would be to get a different theremostat, such as the one used in that aftermarket kit that was discussed earlier.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #31
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
I thought so until Constant.S posted that picture earlier in this thread. Anyway, I assume this could be coded into the ECU as well? It would be cool if the "start oil pump" temp could just be set 10 degrees lower.
Yeah, mine has a factory oil cooler. It looks exactly like the photo on the BMS site. Sounds like you may not have a factory oil cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
There's a 'theoretical' downside in the bypassing the thermostat keeps the oil below its normal operating temperature for longer, which 'theoretically' would cause more wear and emissions.

I think the ideal fix would be to get a different theremostat, such as the one used in that aftermarket kit that was discussed earlier.
I suppose that's true. I'm a little less concerned about emissions than increased wear. It just amazes me how much hotter the oil runs in the Z4 than the M3. It's a 50 degree difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #32
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

1m /335is radiator fan is a plug and play part. This poster claimed ~15F idle temp reduction and mentions anecdotes it helps for track use also.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591900

I wonder if that fan plus lower temp thermostat (maybe from m3?)or the thermostat bypass would solve e89 oil temp issues for far lower cost without having to go with aftermarket $$$ oil cooler kit

Last edited by nicknaz; 12-01-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #33
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
I suppose that's true. I'm a little less concerned about emissions than increased wear. It just amazes me how much hotter the oil runs in the Z4 than the M3. It's a 50 degree difference.
I guess the M3 not having a pair of up-to 1000C / 1900F hot turbos might be one explanation?
Also, I don't know how hot it gets, but the DCT has its own cooling circuit in the M3...

This might also explain why:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=24

(Random internet speculation that the oil temp gauge in the M3 shows only a derived combo and not the actual oil temp directly...)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #34
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Also, I don't know how hot it gets, but the DCT has its own cooling circuit in the M3...
I've found the DCT in goes into some type of self-preservation mode and short shifts at 4000rpm when 'things' get really hot. I say 'things' in quotes because I am not sure what exactly got too hot, only that the oil temp gauge was showing an indicated 290-300F at the time.

Realeom shows a heat exchanger for the E89 DCT (probably uses the main radiator), as opposed to dedicated radiator on the E9X M3

I agree with you that pair of turbos generating a lot of heat and and less radiators is what makes the E89 a card carrying invitee to the N54 limp mode party
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #35
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you that pair of turbos generating a lot of heat and and less radiators is what makes the E89 a card carrying invitee to the N54 limp mode party
well said!!!
      12-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #36
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess the M3 not having a pair of up-to 1000C / 1900F hot turbos might be one explanation?

This might also explain why:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=24

(Random internet speculation that the oil temp gauge in the M3 shows only a derived combo and not the actual oil temp directly...)
No doubt! I'm not surprised the turbos heat up the oil that much, mostly surprised BMW didn't do something to keep the oil a bit cooler. Seems odd they'd tolerate 245 F oil in the N54, but only 205 in the M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #37
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1m /335is radiator fan is a plug and play part. This poster claimed ~15F idle temp reduction and mentions anecdotes it helps for track use also.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591900

I wonder if that fan plus lower temp thermostat (maybe from m3?)or the thermostat bypass would solve e89 oil temp issues for far lower cost without having to go with aftermarket $$$ oil cooler kit
Nice find! I assume we'd need a Z4 35is radiator fan? Or are they all the same in the 1M/335is/135is/Z4 35is?

Also, bear in mind that downpipes usually reduce oil temps. The stock cats trap a lot of heat in the engine bay/turbos and contribute to higher water and oil temps. Catless or HFC downpipes would vent that heat better. Perhaps not significant by itself, but combined with a fan and some modulations to the factory oil cooler, it might go a long way.

Last edited by Hujan; 12-03-2013 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #38
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Nice find! I assume we'd need a Z4 35is radiator fan? Or are they all the same in the 1M/335is/135is/Z4 35is?

Also, bear in mind that downpipes usually reduce oil temps. The stock cats trap a lot of heat in the engine bay/turbos and contribute to higher water and oil temps. Catless or HFC downpipes would vent that heat better. Perhaps not significant by itself, but combined with a fan and some modulations to the factory oil cooler, it might go a long way.
Realoem and other posters suggest Z435is has the same 600W radiator fan as the Z435i.

I haven't looked up 135is

I would source from 1M/335is since those for sure have the 850W radiator fan. "should" be plug and place since I believe the 850W and 600W fan have the same form factor

Yes, high flow DP, FMIC, radiator fan and maybe lower thermostat seems like a solid play for more HP and lower temps.

I am speculating (and going off topic) next.... I believe the high oil temps in the N54 is to combat the carbon buildup on valvetrain that can happen in direct injector engines (S65 is not direct injection). There are a lot of articles about carbon build up around.

Check out this article that suggests hotter temps cause deposits to burn off

"The bulletin also suggested that harder driving would result in hotter intake-valve temperatures, causing deposits to burn off."

Read more: http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorhea...#ixzz2mTPWMlBg

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-...-adopters.html

FWIW, if I were to do all these oil cooling mods I would be sure to add oil catch can too.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #39
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Dinan Morgan Hill installed all my Dinan upgrades. Last year they upgraded the software from Stage 2 to 3 without having to purchase their upgraded oil cooler. They said my stock oil cooler will do just fine. I've never had any issues with my temperature at track events. I've been running stage 3 for a year now without any issues.

However, my local BMW dealership offered to fit the Dinan Oil cooler should I wish to upgrade to it.
      12-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #40
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Realoem and other posters suggest Z435is has the same 600W radiator fan as the Z435i.

I haven't looked up 135is

I would source from 1M/335is since those for sure have the 850W radiator fan. "should" be plug and place since I believe the 850W and 600W fan have the same form factor

Yes, high flow DP, FMIC, radiator fan and maybe lower thermostat seems like a solid play for more HP and lower temps.

I am speculating (and going off topic) next.... I believe the high oil temps in the N54 is to combat the carbon buildup on valvetrain that can happen in direct injector engines (S65 is not direct injection). There are a lot of articles about carbon build up around.

Check out this article that suggests hotter temps cause deposits to burn off

"The bulletin also suggested that harder driving would result in hotter intake-valve temperatures, causing deposits to burn off."

Read more: http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorhea...#ixzz2mTPWMlBg

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-...-adopters.html

FWIW, if I were to do all these oil cooling mods I would be sure to add oil catch can too.
Great points. The carbon burn off is a good explanation. Carbon buildup was a huge problem in the Mini world as well. A lot of guys sweared that hard driving would reduce the issue. Guess there is some merit to it.

So my mod list is starting to shape up:
  1. 850 W fan from 335is/1M
  2. BMS oil catch can
  3. BMS filter
  4. BMS oil thermostat
  5. AR race cat downpipes
  6. Evolution Racewerks FMIC w/ charge pipes
  7. Forge diverter valves
  8. Tune
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #41
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
[*]BMS filter[/LIST]
I would do a little research about the air filter vs. the OEM with stock turbos... You dont want to suffer from heat soak...
      12-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #42
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would do a little research about the air filter vs. the OEM with stock turbos... You dont want to suffer from heat soak...
Was going to go with a drop in panel filter in the OEM box. I am not a fan of open filters. Is that what you meant?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #43
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So my mod list is starting to shape up:
I want a ride when you are done
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #44
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Was going to go with a drop in panel filter in the OEM box. I am not a fan of open filters. Is that what you meant?
Yes