New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
zoomzoomers
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si 6MT

Just got back from a research forum for the new prototype Z4 this past Sunday

I went to this thing this past Sunday to check out and critic the new Z4 prototype at the Pomona fairplex this past Sunday. At the event we got to critic, sit in and discuss other cars along with the prototype. Such as the current Z4, Porsche Boxter, MB SLK350, Mazda Miata Hardtop, Nissan 350Z Roadster and the new Z4 prototype.

Please take this with a grain of salt. It was only the prototype and it wasn't a running model. So they told us. Let me just say, WOW!!! The thing looked awsome. They didn't let us bring cell phones, cameras or anything. They actually pat you down with a metal detector before you enter.

New flash. The prototype was a retractable hardtop and the thing looks so good I almost asked where to put the deposit down to. The thing looks so agressive and mean it's no joke. The car doesn't look anything like the current Z. If anything the current Z sitting next to it look plain Jane and boring compared to the prototype. Unfortunately, the prototype had the idrive in it. It looks like it will also have the new 3.0 TT in her too. They asked us how we felt about a Z4 (prototype) that would have 306 hp. Since the 3.0 TT in the 335i has 306 hp (in Europe), I figured that's what it must be. The lines of the car are down right sexy and the car looked like it would cost $100k +. They did a very good job of designing the exterior of her. I really hope it makes it to production. It seems that BMW wants to compete with the competition and get a retractable hardtop of their own. Which would mean that the Z4 coupe has seen it's final days.

If you have any questions let me know. I might be able to remember more if you asked some questions.

Bruce Lee
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Bruce, you got any photoshop skills?

What kind of tranny did it have?

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
zoomzoomers
Enlisted Member
Rep

LOL. Everyone thinks that I'm Bruce Lee and that is my own quote. It's actually a quote of the actor/martial artist Bruce Lee not mine.

Sorry, I'm in finance and the only thing I equate to photoshop is that little square building in the middle of parking lots where you go turn in your film.

Well the one prototype they did let us sit in, with the help of one of their employees, was an auto. They didn't tell us what type or how many gears. It did have the paddles like the current 3 series does. Also, they told us that the interior was a rough draft and none of the swtiches or buttons worked. They were careful to watch over us so that we didn't push anything or even touch anything. Say good buy to that bin between the two seats. There is actually a small shelf there with a cargo net about 4 inches deep that runs across the entire car. Oh yeah! Finally she gets dual exhausts! They wouldn't let us look underneath the car, but you just don't miss dual tips.

On another note. They let us open the truck, well they opened it for us and we saw a video of the roof in action. It looks like the exact system from the new 3 series convert. Also, I noticed when folded the glass of the hardtop is on top of the other folded roof panels. Which means when you open the trunk you see the glass on top. Personally, I thought it was a bad design and vulnerable to breaking if you drop something while removing anything from the trunk. I told the guys there so let's hope they can change that around a bit.

Bruce Lee
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

I gots me a quad exhaust

Sorry for the name confusion, I didn't even read the quote or your last name for that matter, I just thought you signed it with your name.

Thanks zoomer. Did they have any recognizable rims on there or were they something that you've never seen before?

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
zoomzoomers
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
I gots me a quad exhaust

Sorry for the name confusion, I didn't even read the quote or your last name for that matter, I just thought you signed it with your name.

Thanks zoomer. Did they have any recognizable rims on there or were they something that you've never seen before?
Brand new stuff. I did see that they were still running 18's though. I wish I could have snapped a shot of it. It looked awsome. Definitely will blow the competition out of the water if it makes to production.

Bruce Lee
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
...It seems that BMW wants to compete with the competition and get a retractable hardtop of their own. Which would mean that the Z4 coupe has seen it's final days.
About time... I would have plopped my $$ down on a hardtop vert if it was available now.

I dunno about the Coupé seeing it's final days... maybe the soft top, though. Ha... who am I kidding, the Coupé's seen its final days because of poor sales.
      07-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Dammit. Time to look into selling my M.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Did they actually tell you that this was a Z4 prototype? Could it have been the Z8 replacement? Over 100K would lead me to think that.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
Bluesharp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Roadster, Montego Blue

Per the body styling, does it have the flame surfacing? Is the diagonal slash still there, perchance? Does the driver sit as far back as in the current Z?

Thanks man. This is a great thread.
      07-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

I don't think that's how much it would actually cost..its prolly like my M Coupe...it looks like it costs more than it does

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #11
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

too bad about the hardtop

the softtop leaves trunkroom pretty well alone
the hardtop will make it tough to pack for 2 for a weekend if you want to drive top down......

my top's down all the time anyways so I don't care if it's cloth or metal
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
X2 prefer cloth, takes up less trunk space!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #13
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
unless they could make a tambour top...that would be kinda cool!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #14
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
About time... I would have plopped my $$ down on a hardtop vert if it was available now.

I dunno about the Coupé seeing it's final days... maybe the soft top, though. Ha... who am I kidding, the Coupé's seen its final days because of poor sales.

Someone wrote on another forum that their dealer said they couldn't order an '08 Z4 Coupe because it was being dropped.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #15
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

what did the overall size of the new version look like?
bigger than the current/smaller than current.....
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #16
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Someone wrote on another forum that their dealer said they couldn't order an '08 Z4 Coupe because it was being dropped.
I think I read that same thread... I forgot where.

Anyway, BMW should be doing more research to figure out the market trends. Seems like a lot of the Roadster folk would want to keep a fabric-top option. Who knows, maybe they'll do what Mazda did with the MX-5.
      07-25-2007, 12:27 AM   #17
zoomzoomers
Enlisted Member
Rep

OK, let me try to answer all your questions here.

1. I'm pretty sure BMW is trying to cut costs and kill 2 birds with one stone by dropping the coupe and going with a retractable hardtop. It's just the way the market is going me thinks.

2. It was labled as the Z4 "prototype". So yes it certainly is not a Z8 replacement. That I'm positive.

3. You will all be glad to hear that Bangle's design theme is dead and burried in the new prototype. It's hard to describe but we had to critic the car from dead on, 3/4 front, side, 3/4 rear and dead rear. Nowhere can you see any flame surfacing ques. Thank God! If I had to describe it, and others there felt the same, the car is extremely aggressive looking. The headlight assembly was simply awsome looking with LED's inside and halo's to boot (large). Front airdam was extremely modeled (??? lots of stuff going on) with 3 huge air inlets with aggressive meshing. From the from the car looks like it's going to fly off or come and devour you alive. It definitely has a look of movement and passion from the instant you see it. The overall flow of the body, from the f bumper to the trunk (including the retract roof) is extremely aggressive and almost space ship like. The lines flow very well. M port holes are gone and in place of them is a slit (?). It looks very well integrated and well done. The flow of the retract. roof and the trunk to the integrated little wing is "powerful"! Very good lines.

4. The diagonal slash is finally gone!

Bruce Lee
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 12:38 AM   #18
zoomzoomers
Enlisted Member
Rep

5. The prototype seems a lot bigger? Or at least it seemed that way to me and a few others. Oh, by the way, everyone there were Z4 owners. I'd describe it as the Z4 (current) went and grew up and filled out. More like he went from Jr. High to High school but via the football or wrestling team. It just seems very "buff" compared to the current Z. I actually told the interviewers these comments pretty much verbatim.

* The prototype looks like it's been to the gym and put on some muscles.
* Looks like the most aggressive Bimmer to date, including all M's.
* Some how, even though the prototype was stated to be the same overall lenght as the current Z, the car doesn't, I say again does not, have that long hood look and short rear look. Somehow the designers made the car look very proportionate. Gone is that look that you're sitting in the trunk.

6. Pretty much everyone agreed there that they didn't like the fact that the top took up so much room. Forget going to the grocery store with the top down. I think it had the least room, compared to the SLK and Miata, with the top in the trunk.

7. Again, it's definitely not a Z8 replacement. They asked up around 20 questions on who much do we "think" the car should be worth to how much would we pay for it to how much over what the current Z would we think we would pay for it. So, I'm almost certain that it's not anything but the Z4 prototype.

8. The car in look and feel feels so much more refined and luxurious compared to the current Z. The exterior as well as the interior get's the bling treatment pretty much everywhere. The interior felt and looked like it could be at home in a 6 series.

Everyone please take everything I've said with a grain of salt. I'm still very excited about what I saw and am probably injecting too much of my personal likings of the prototype. Still, I would put a deposit for it now if I could. I think that it's that much of a move forward for the car. Something it certainly deserves. Hate to say this, but side by side the prototype made the current Z about as ugly duckling as they could have. It also made the current Z rather cheap looking compared to it. That's all I have for now, but let me know if there's anything else. I hope someone leaks the pic of it soon so all of you guys can see for yourself.

Bruce Lee
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 01:30 AM   #19
magicogar
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5

Errr...does it look like this?

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 01:31 AM   #20
zoomzoomers
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicogar View Post
Errr...does it look like this?

No! That things looks awful!

Bruce Lee
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 01:43 AM   #21
ronn888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I can't believe that thing got out of the Pomona fairplex without anyone taking one picture...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 01:46 AM   #22
zoomzoomers
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn888 View Post
I can't believe that thing got out of the Pomona fairplex without anyone taking one picture...
Well you couldn't no cameras were allowed. They even searched us for cell phone cameras. So I don't know how anyone would have taken a pic of it.

Bruce Lee
Appreciate 0