New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

N54 s35i reliability

Hi All,

I'm researching on Z4s as a fun weekend car. I understand that Z4s do not come with the N55 even for LCI. The N54 is notoriously troublesome in e90. I'm wondering is it just as troublesome on the e89?
For some reason, I don't read as much issues on the Z4 as opposed to the other BMWs with N54.
Would like to gauge your experiences with the N54. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:46 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

I guess all z4 35i owners read e90 forums for troubleshooting and DIY guides. I for sure do. More information available. On engine issues i dont even bother searching Z4 forum and just search for N54 + issue and that usually takes you to e90post or n54tech. And of course youtube has a lot of info on N54 aswell.

Engine is the same and has the same common issues as in any other chassis.

With 3 series there are maybe more problems with early cars... 2007-2008...
Early cars did not have oil coolers for example... and so on.

Z4 came out 2009 so some of these early issues were already updated...

Owned mine for 5 years and this is what i have had to do to the car:

Front adaptive shocks started leaking. Replaced with KW V3 coilover kit.
DCT had a leak: Had DCT service done that included new pan gasket.
felt loss of power: New ignition coils and 1 step colder n55 plugs.
Oilfilter housing oil leak : replaced gaskets, aux belt and tensioner.
Smelled oil inside the cabin: replaced valve cover.
Again smelled oil inside cabin : replaced chain tensioner.
Front wheel bearings made noise: replaced both front wheel bearings.
Have done intake valves carbon cleaning once during my ownership. Was a 400 eur bill. Here nobody does walnut blasting... so found a guy who did it manually(usually on Audis).
Replaced and registered new battery.( Had original battery for 9+ years)
Have replaced all my vacuum lines with new Samco silicone vacuum lines. (preventative maintenance)
Have replaced rear lights because moisture issue.
Have replaced rear licence plate lights (one died).
Replaced drivers seat bottom heater element(Bottom did not heat up well and backrest was not regulating its temp and got hotter and hotter. Got so hot in 5-10 minutes that you turned heating off because it got painful.)
New oil filler cap.

Fortunately got the car with newest version index 12 injectors already on it. So no problem there. Fuel pumps still fine, water pump still fine. Of course maybe some of it was replaced by previous owner. I dont have any records of that. Injectors definitely were changed by him.

On top of this i have done cosmetic stuff... detailing, polishing, paintwork, all new exterior BMW badges, new windshield, new tweeter grilles, wheel refurb twice.

In 4000km i have front and rear brake pads and discs coming up. Probably going to do rear wheel bearings at the same time. Have only changed my pads once before.
And im looking for a new used steering wheel with paddles and heating.

First 2 years were pretty much problem free... most of my issues started around 2019 when car got 10 years old. All the leaks, first shocks then gearbox then engine leaks.

Car has around 70k miles on it now.

Last edited by KennyP; 11-25-2020 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
Gamb1t597.00
      11-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Guess you have a point. I think the e90 crowd is more tinkerer than e89 crowd. Thus makes sense to check that section. I find the e89 engine bay provides alot of space to work on vs. the sedan's.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Guess you have a point. I think the e90 crowd is more tinkerer than e89 crowd. Thus makes sense to check that section. I find the e89 engine bay provides alot of space to work on vs. the sedan's.
335i is cheaper to buy, more cars on the road.
Because they are cheaper and more common, they get modified more often. That in turn plays into the reliability issue. Mod the hell out of it and then you have fuel pumps failing, waterpumps failing, misfires, injector issues and so on.

Like if you google N54 second result is a guide to build a 500hp n54 with 1500usd of mods. Anyone buying a cheap 335 and then bolt on all the stuff in that guide to make it fast will run into reliability issues.

Z4 is easier to work on... main thing is: no need to remove cowl like in e90 every time you want to work on the engine. Just remove engine cover. Only hard part is getting to the turbos if needed.