New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #111
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
I think this is a valid description. The Macan is more of a sports car. Which I might enjoy for a month but then - I might get annoyed about the stiffer ride and smaller size. I pretty much need a grocery getter and like power versus a lame assed 4 cylinder GLE. And I don't need 0-60 I need 45-75 power.

Betting depreciation on current Porsche and BMW are similar going forward unless I buy a limited Porsche that everyone suddenly wants. Such as the GTS which they didn't make last year. I don't think it's a safe bet to get the same outcome you did. Good call buying that.

Seriously almost decided. X5 or X3 40i. Both have enough juice and comfort. And cheaper. Only Porsche still in the running now is used Cayennes.

Thanks for all the inputs folks. I do appreciate it. I know I'm spending WAY too much time over thinking this. Combination of being stuck home and having a specific deadline returning my lease has created the perfect storm of over analyzing.
I think your arguments are sound and just. I will note, Porsches suspension dampening and rebound are second to none so while it may have stiff springs that yield great handling, it is quite a great riding car and certainly ones I’d place at the top of any SUV/CUV class.
Have you checked out the Macan 4 cylinder? I can also get you 8% off a Macan if you want my contact.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #112
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
I think your arguments are sound and just. I will note, Porsches suspension dampening and rebound are second to none so while it may have stiff springs that yield great handling, it is quite a great riding car and certainly ones I’d place at the top of any SUV/CUV class.
Have you checked out the Macan 4 cylinder? I can also get you 8% off a Macan if you want my contact.
Thanks. Honestly every time I sit in a Macan I feel it's too small for me. I might buy a used Cayenne because I do believe they are better cars than the BMWs. There is one I like and I am this close to sending an email asking their best cash price. Seems as if with the used market beginning to saturate there should be some give in it.

BTW is your contact in Arizona?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #113
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
jamesinaz Have a look at basic maintenance cost in your area, for example engine oil change, air filter and brakes. I have looked at P-cars off and on and the basic maintenance prices seem to be a step above other German brands. That is, if you don't DIY.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 09:51 PM   #114
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Thanks. Honestly every time I sit in a Macan I feel it's too small for me. I might buy a used Cayenne because I do believe they are better cars than the BMWs. There is one I like and I am this close to sending an email asking their best cash price. Seems as if with the used market beginning to saturate there should be some give in it.
Depends how you'll be using the Macan. If you'll be the primary driver most of the time then I find it spacious enough. It's my dad's daily and he has no complaints besides wishing Porsche made a sedan alternative so he could sit lower.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 09:52 PM   #115
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post

Thanks for the offer, but luckily for me, my father in law has been friends with the GM of my local Porsche dealer for years, and has purchased over 20 Porsche's from them over the years, half of which were likely custom built, and he will likely be getting a GT4 too, so I should be set for a good deal when the virus settles and my lease comes to an end.

I've only driven the current "S" trim, but it was very impressive, so the GTS can only be better, and I think its just right for me, as its also replacing my old 05' X3 which my son is taking to Florida for college (hopefully that will happen), and the Macan's interior space is pretty similar in size while still being able to fit my Sheltie in the trunk - he's one of the reasons I needed an SUV/Wagon (that and home depot/Lowes' runs), he will throw up in the backseat of any car, but strangely not in the trunk of an SUV.

Here's my current build, may do an all black exterior, but I like the contrast of the white. I would love to do Mamba Green but that may be a bit too extreme
-Full Leather Interior
-Premium Package Plus
-Sport Chrono
-Surround View
-Lane Change Assist
-Steering Wheel Heating

I was thinking about an X3 M40i for a while, but the steering and interior just don't really do it for me, and while the X5 has a gorgeous and superbly furnished interior, its overall just not engaging, but very practical. I also looked at a Cayenne E-Hybrid, but not as engaging or pretty as the Macan, no PDK, a higher price, and Ihate the touch buttons, though I did like the idea of getting gas less often. The Macan feels like a jacked hot hatch but with a luxury interior and gorgeous styling and that's why I love it! Its not the most practical, but its just enough for my needs.

Sorry to thread jack op!
Join the Miami Blue club!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 12:40 AM   #116
TheTallJS
United_States
Rep
Drives: Metallic Black 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2020 Benz GLE 450, specifically a white or silver exterior and brown leather with aluminum trim and auto rear sun blinds, so I can buy it off you used. Beloved straight 6 turbo.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #117
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
OK, thanks for the comments. Yeah, I know maintenance is higher on a Porsche. Lucky me I no longer drive many miles now. Maybe 6-10K a year at most. So I'm willing to pony up one more time before they take my car keys away. LOL.

On the GLE450 - try and find one. MB must have some issue making them. GLE350 tons of them. The rarity probably means they aren't discounting much.

I am now assuming from various comments here and online research that if I buy a Porsche or BMW off inventory I should get something like 8% off MSRP. If that is true then I'll try both Macan and the S version. The test drive of the X3 40i was as described above, not horribly engaging but it probably meets me needs and offers some fun. We shall see. Off to dealer today to try Macan.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #118
GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

Macan vs. Macan S...
I had the base Macan as a loaner, and imo the "S" is FAR more desirable. The exhaust sound of those quads alone makes driving the S a totally different experience. The base a bit lighter in front, but couldn't really feel any handling improvement.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #119
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
OK, thanks for the comments. Yeah, I know maintenance is higher on a Porsche. Lucky me I no longer drive many miles now. Maybe 6-10K a year at most. So I'm willing to pony up one more time before they take my car keys away. LOL.

On the GLE450 - try and find one. MB must have some issue making them. GLE350 tons of them. The rarity probably means they aren't discounting much.

I am now assuming from various comments here and online research that if I buy a Porsche or BMW off inventory I should get something like 8% off MSRP. If that is true then I'll try both Macan and the S version. The test drive of the X3 40i was as described above, not horribly engaging but it probably meets me needs and offers some fun. We shall see. Off to dealer today to try Macan.
Macan GTS is the better choice, mainly because a GTS will include all the equipment that a Macan S needs to be moderately optioned. I have a possible future GTS spec'd at $85k that would be $87k for the S. But GTS' are only just arriving so like you said, lower discounts and harder to find. I think you'd probably be happy with a lightly used/CPO Cayenne S or E-Hybrid.

Last edited by stein_325i; 05-17-2020 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #120
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the offer, but luckily for me, my father in law has been friends with the GM of my local Porsche dealer for years, and has purchased over 20 Porsche's from them over the years, half of which were likely custom built, and he will likely be getting a GT4 too, so I should be set for a good deal when the virus settles and my lease comes to an end.

I've only driven the current "S" trim, but it was very impressive, so the GTS can only be better, and I think its just right for me, as its also replacing my old 05' X3 which my son is taking to Florida for college (hopefully that will happen), and the Macan's interior space is pretty similar in size while still being able to fit my Sheltie in the trunk - he's one of the reasons I needed an SUV/Wagon (that and home depot/Lowes' runs), he will throw up in the backseat of any car, but strangely not in the trunk of an SUV.

Here's my current build, may do an all black exterior, but I like the contrast of the white. I would love to do Mamba Green but that may be a bit too extreme
-Full Leather Interior
-Premium Package Plus
-Sport Chrono
-Surround View
-Lane Change Assist
-Steering Wheel Heating

I was thinking about an X3 M40i for a while, but the steering and interior just don't really do it for me, and while the X5 has a gorgeous and superbly furnished interior, its overall just not engaging, but very practical. I also looked at a Cayenne E-Hybrid, but not as engaging or pretty as the Macan, no PDK, a higher price, and Ihate the touch buttons, though I did like the idea of getting gas less often. The Macan feels like a jacked hot hatch but with a luxury interior and gorgeous styling and that's why I love it! Its not the most practical, but its just enough for my needs.

Sorry to thread jack op!
Join the Miami Blue club!
I want to but... I've added a new contender so I may not be joining the Porsche club at all! I test drove a GLC 63 and loved the AMG V8, and not to mention based off W206 C63 rumors, that V8 may not have a long lifespan. Luckily won't have to make a decision until end of the year/next year, or whenever the virus ends since my son's X3 will likely be staying with us through the fall due to college closures, along with my lease which is due by December, but right now its pretty much between Macan GTS and GLC 63.

Also, I love Miami Blue, but if I'm gonna go crazy on colors 100% Mamba Green is my choice!

Last edited by stein_325i; 05-17-2020 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #121
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I hope the dealer allows me to test drive both the base and S models. And if he has a Cayenne S used I'd like to try that as well.

Really am trying to keep the price of this vehicle to around $70K. That's what the after discount cost of a properly equipped new X5 would be and I'm really going to need to LOVE driving something to up that price.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25064.00
GenXer1363.00
      05-17-2020, 11:28 AM   #122
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I hope the dealer allows me to test drive both the base and S models. And if he has a Cayenne S used I'd like to try that as well.

Really am trying to keep the price of this vehicle to around $70K. That's what the after discount cost of a properly equipped new X5 would be and I'm really going to need to LOVE driving something to up that price.
If the Macan is back in the running, I'd also try testing put a GLC 43/63. I recently drove a 63 and it was very impressive. Haven't driven a 43 GLC, but have driven a C43 which it is based on, and its an impressive vehicle with great handling and a very great sounding V6 (w/ AMG performance exhaust), and the GLC adds air suspension which should help for ride comfort. The Macan/Cayenne will still likely be more comfortable, but not really sure what your threshold on comfort is.

2020 GLC interiors are very impressive with better materials than the X3, and the new MBUX system and gauge cluster, not to mention are much cheaper and more practical than the Macan, although will likely not be as fun, but still impressive for an SUV nonetheless, could be an interesting cross-shop, I remember when it first came out it won a C/D comparison with the SQ5 and Macan S. Anyways, all your choices are very good and difficult to choose between, even I have a difficult choice between Macan GTS and GLC63, but honestly all are very good cars! Good Luck!

If you do go for Macan, must have's include: A V6 engine, base Macan just feels "meh," full leather interior package (gets rid of rubbery dash, also good on Cayenne), and depending on how much you care about the drive/handling, PTV as well as Air Suspension/PASM are also good, options.

05-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #123
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
My mom has a base GLC300 4matic. It's just the right size for her. A bit bigger, more substantial and more utilitarian than an X3. But for $10K more an X5 is a whole lot more vehicle both in size and comfort. She didn't like it because it just felt too big for her.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #124
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
My mom has a base GLC300 4matic. It's just the right size for her. A bit bigger, more substantial and more utilitarian than an X3. But for $10K more an X5 is a whole lot more vehicle both in size and comfort. She didn't like it because it just felt too big for her.
Honestly the X5 is a great car, BMW nailed the interior especially, it looks nicer and modern compared to previous BMW offerings, and materials are excellent. The exterior could be better looking and the drive isn't really as good compared to a well equipped Cayenne or older E70 X5, but primarily as a luxury SUV, it does the job well. I definitely agree though that the vehicles are getting big. I currently have a CLS and while I love the car, I definitely want something more compact next.

I really wanted to like the G01 X3, it drives pretty well (other than its steering) and while its looks are conservative its still very attractive but the interior is dated, the materials are too cheap and hard for my liking, and I couldn't get comfortable in the seats during long drives (spent 2+ hours in a G20 which has the same seats). Other than that, its a great SUV.
      05-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #125
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Honestly the X5 is a great car, BMW nailed the interior especially, it looks nicer and modern compared to previous BMW offerings, and materials are excellent. The exterior could be better looking and the drive isn't really as good compared to a well equipped Cayenne or older E70 X5, but primarily as a luxury SUV, it does the job well. I definitely agree though that the vehicles are getting big. I currently have a CLS and while I love the car, I definitely want something more compact next.

I really wanted to like the G01 X3, it drives pretty well (other than its steering) and while its looks are conservative its still very attractive but the interior is dated, the materials are too cheap and hard for my liking, and I couldn't get comfortable in the seats during long drives (spent 2+ hours in a G20 which has the same seats). Other than that, its a great SUV.
I was just at the dealership last week at a possible trade in on my M340i for the new X3M. Loved the design outside (although I wished they had done more with the fenders like they do on the M3/M4...looks too much like the X3 40i). Anyways, the interior is what killed it for me too, even when compared to my M340i. The numbers on the trade weren't bad but I don't think I would have been happy especially if a redesign is around the corner.
stein_325i25064.00
      05-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #126
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:

I was just at the dealership last week at a possible trade in on my M340i for the new X3M. Loved the design outside (although I wished they had done more with the fenders like they do on the M3/M4...looks too much like the X3 40i). Anyways, the interior is what killed it for me too, even when compared to my M340i. The numbers on the trade weren't bad but I don't think I would have been happy especially if a redesign is around the corner.
I also looked at an X3 M. I was so happy to find that the seats were comfortable, and then I drove the car. It has an incredibly rough suspension. It felt similar to that of my wife's M2, which is fine on a sports car, but not cool on a family car, not to mention my dog already gets car sick in the back of my car, so that also ruled out the X3 M. I was so disappointed because it drove well, and fixed the biggest issue I had from the regular X3 (other than the dated interior) only to introduce a new issue. I'm sure the X3 M owners will disagree with me, but that suspension is a deal-breaker and just because the letter M is on the back of the car doesn't mean the ride should be harsh.

Honestly, when I drove it, this was the first thing that came to my mind

Burrcold5210.00
      05-17-2020, 02:13 PM   #127
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I also looked at an X3 M. I was so happy to find that the seats were comfortable, and then I drove the car. It has an incredibly rough suspension. It felt similar to that of my wife's M2, which is fine on a sports car, but not cool on a family car, not to mention my dog already gets car sick in the back of my car, so that also ruled out the X3 M. I was so disappointed because it drove well, and fixed the biggest issue I had from the regular X3 (other than the dated interior) only to introduce a new issue. I'm sure the X3 M owners will disagree with me, but that suspension is a deal-breaker and just because the letter M is on the back of the car doesn't mean the ride should be harsh.

Honestly, when I drove it, this was the first thing that came to my mind

It was definitely harsh and I can normally deal with that, but this being my daily it would get tiring fast. Seat design looks amazing though and ALMOST make the interior passable but not at $100k Canadian. Couldn't do it...
stein_325i25064.00
      05-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #128
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I just returned from the Porsche dealer. I test drove both a base Macan and an S version.

First the base - really this is a well designed and fun vehicle. it is the right size for me and it gives amazing confidence driving it. Very solid and very balanced. I could definitely be happy owning one of these.

Now the S - screw the base HECK YEAH. Same car but way bettah. Pretty sure I will own one of these in the next few weeks. Just waiting for the test drive to wear off and decide which one they have to ask for a price on.

Compared to the GLC and X3 the Macan is a sports car versus sedans. Night and day. Yup, more expensive but it is the superior vehicle IMO.

Appreciate 1
stein_325i25064.00
      05-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #129
GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

Yep....thought so...
Here was mine:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #130
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
Yep....thought so...
Here was mine:
Looks great! I have owned 3 Macans (two S’ and one GTS) and likely to buy another - a GTS or turbo.

I’ve also owned two GLC63S AMG Coule Edition1 1’s.

If anyone needs a superb discount on a Porsche of any kind, I am happy to share my contact (he’s in PA). You will not find a better price.

Last edited by Funf6cyl; 05-17-2020 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #131
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
Looks great! I have owned 3 Macans (two S’ and one GTS) and likely to buy another - a GTS or turbo.

I’ve also owned two GLC63S AMG Coule Edition1 1’s.

If anyone needs a superb discount on a Porsche of any kind, I am happy to share my contact (he’s in PA). You will not find a better price.
How would you compare your GLC63 to the GTS?
      05-17-2020, 06:15 PM   #132
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I just returned from the Porsche dealer. I test drove both a base Macan and an S version.

First the base - really this is a well designed and fun vehicle. it is the right size for me and it gives amazing confidence driving it. Very solid and very balanced. I could definitely be happy owning one of these.

Now the S - screw the base HECK YEAH. Same car but way bettah. Pretty sure I will own one of these in the next few weeks. Just waiting for the test drive to wear off and decide which one they have to ask for a price on.

Compared to the GLC and X3 the Macan is a sports car versus sedans. Night and day. Yup, more expensive but it is the superior vehicle IMO.

Let's hope your choice will stick this time Going to go for a new one off the lot, used, or custom order?