New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
davfagan1118
Rep
Drives:

iPod integration issue

Just took delivery of my new z435i on Friday (Love it so far). I previously had a 2008 135i. Both cars have the iPod/USB adapter, neither have had nav. On my z4 when I play songs in random mode, sometimes the song that is playing won't match the title being show on the radio display. The song playing also only plays for the amount of time that the song title being displayed would have played for. I never experienced this on my 135i. Has anyone else seen this type of behavior. It never happens if I use the next/prev track buttons.

(On order) 2017 M240i - Mineral Grey, Terra Leather, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Nav, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Atebit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yellow 2011 Z4 sdrive30i

Well, I just had a similar issue on mine w/Nav. I mentioned it when I brought the car in for the "dancing windows" issue (where one window would go back down again after using the wide "all windows" button to close the windows.

That fix required replacing some relays as well as a software update. Apparently the software update fixed my iPod issue as well. The tech who did the work told me he noticed the same title mis-match problem on my Nav screen before the update, but afterwards it was working properly. I haven't had a problem since.
      07-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
rufless
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 3.5i

Did the software update fix the problem?

Just wondering if davfagan1118 tried the software update and whether it fixed the problem.

I got my 2011 Z4 3.5i about 10 days ago and am having a similar issue with the "now playing" display for iPod tracks. In my case, the display either shows a single song title, the correct one, or an alphabetical list of all songs on my iPod, with a checkmark next to one of the songs, which isn't the one actually playing. The problem is random. The name of the artist and album is always the correct one.

I'm using the shuffle feature of the iPod to play all my songs in random order. I have the navigation system and the premium sound package.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
rufless
Registered
Rep

Just an update on my previous post...

The problem is more consistent now. When I first start the car, the song display is correct. If I wait about a minute or two, it switches to the incorrect display and stays that way.

I brought the car to the dealer today for another reason and had them look at this problem. The service techs saw that the problem was there, but they said there are no bulletins from BMW covering that issue, so they can't update my software unless I want to pay for the service. They suggested waiting until my next service and seeing if there are new bulletins that would allow them to update the software under warranty. It's not a big deal, but it's kind of annoying that I can't get it fixed until BMW acknowledges this problem or some other issue with my iDrive/Navigation system that would require an update.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

So something wrong with the car that is under warranty and they want either BMW acknowledges there is a problem or you pay for it to have it fix. I think my toaster has better warranty than that.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
rufless
Registered
Rep

Yes, it doesn't seem right, and if it were a more disruptive problem, I'd make a bigger deal about it. I don't know how much leeway the dealer has in situations like this, and I haven't had any previous experience with this dealership. I have a couple of other unrelated issues I'm trying to work out with this dealership, we'll see how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Atebit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yellow 2011 Z4 sdrive30i

So here's my update a few months later since they flashed the car to fix the window issue.

At first, I thought this had totally fixed the iPod issue. But I still notice it screwing up occasionally. Not as often as before.

I have been traveling a lot for work, but I plan to bring it back I'm for this issue. The more service orders they write on this problem, the more likely they'l investigate (I hope).
      07-29-2011, 03:28 AM   #8
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Maybe it is time for you to look at the iPod adapter rather than flashing/updating CPU
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
porticebot
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4 35is

i bought my 2011 z4 35is back in april/june and noticed this issue right away. my first suspicion was that when the ipod would take too long to wake up and playlists would get messed up.

here's what happens in my car. when i first start the car, it will try play the last song it was playing but it will mess up the display of the tracks. if i was playing a song out of a playlist, i would have to go into another playlist untill the track list in the play list was correct, then go back to the original playlist where my original song was playing and all would be fine untill i turned off the car again.

to me, it appears as if when you continue playing a song from the ipod after have just started your car, the song you were listening to will play correctly but the song list would show the ENTIRE ipod song list in alphabetical order and not show the song correctly or show the correct playlist songs correctly.

this is hard as hell to explain to a bmw service guy and it doesn't happen all the time.

i hope they fix this with some software update. i had the same issue that the car was brand spanking new without any other issues so there was nothing they could do to service it. the bmw tech got me to buy the $70 dollar ipod cord even :/
Appreciate 0