European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

Closed Thread

05-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #1
maza918
Rep
Drives: 335i X-Drive

BMW FS lease assumption during lockdown?

Hi all. I was just notified that I cleared Stage 2 of the lease assumption process of a lease I'm going to take over. I live in Michigan where the lockdown has closed the SOS / DMV so I'm concerned about the ability to register my new car or drive it. Does anyone know if BMW FS provides a temporary registration or anything as part of Stage 3 of the assumption process? Please let me know. Any help or even tips on how to proceed would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 11:15 PM   #2
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

BMW FS does not provide any registration service for the vehicle. It was very easy for me to register my lease assumption. They send you the paperwork to bring to the DMV to register the car. I took my paperwork to a tag agency and paid them the registration fees, and $75 for them to do the legwork. I don't know if that's an option for you during the covid BS.
      05-17-2020, 11:37 PM   #3
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

You're responsible for the registration and all you need is provided from BMWFS' paperwork that they give you. You'll need to reach out to your state's DMV process for temp plates during this time
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
activediff
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I assumed an F80 lease back in March, right as COVID was shutting everything down. I am also in Michigan and have been unable to register the car. As the other response notes, BMW won’t handle the registration or title transfer. Those need to be done in-person at the DMV. I have had 3 appointments progressively canceled as the lockout extended. My next appointment is for June 8th (first available). Joy.
So, I took the plates off my previous F80 (lease return, also in March) and put them on the new ride. I would have transferred those over but, you know, COVID. I haven’t driven too much but I have just kept the BMW paperwork in car. I believe that the governor has issued guidance for police to be lenient on issues like this.
One note is that the BMW power of attorney only lasts 30 days. You can request a new one, if the first one expires. I will do that shortly.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
activediff
United_States
Rep

One more note...I did call and actually get through to the DMV a month ago. They basically told me to wait it out or to try working with a Michigan BMW (or other?) dealership to process the paperwork.
I don’t know if this would work. However, if you have a good relationship with a dealer...maybe?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:04 AM   #6
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by activediff View Post
... try working with a Michigan BMW (or other?) dealership to process the paperwork.
I don’t know if this would work. However, if you have a good relationship with a dealer...maybe?
That is a great idea. All dealerships have access the the DMV services and have plates in stock. They may charge you to process the paperwork, however you'll at least be able to get plates and drive the car.
      05-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
maza918
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
That is a great idea. All dealerships have access the the DMV services and have plates in stock. They may charge you to process the paperwork, however you'll at least be able to get plates and drive the car.
Thanks guys for the helpful responses. I just made an appointment at the SOS / DMV for the first available option of 6/12, which based on activediff experience is clearly subject to change. I also put in a call to my contact at the local BMW Dealer to see if they could help. I was told that they do have the ability to do the paperwork but due to the registration paperwork requirements they can only do it for vehicles in their inventory. I asked him to inquiry further and will let you guys know if he comes back with anything else. I sure hope there is an alternate option even if just temporarily to be able to use the vehicle until SOS/DMV operations return to "normal".
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:14 PM   #8
activediff
United_States
Rep

Michigan DMV finally opened! Finally got my M3 registered today...from my March lease assumption.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #9
maza918
Rep

Congrats, activediff ! I took your advice and was able to schedule an appointment online and had it end of last week. I was able to complete all tasks including registration. Wahoo! Thanks for your help and Congrats on the M3!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread