New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

07-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #45
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
Gun is a tool that's true, but it's a tool for killing.

Why do we need a tool for killing available to everyone even crazy ppl?

Cars are a tool for driving but if you can't see or have seizures or other problems nobody will let you drive

So why does everyone get a right to use a tool for killing? Who is that helping? Why does a tool for killing need to be so easily accessible?

I never understand you guys comparing tool of killing to a tool of construction or a tool of transporting. It's not even close to each other except you can use the word tool for both.

It's like saying a pen and a car are basicly the same thing because they are both tools lol
There are already regulations in place that are designed to prevent these types of people from getting their hands on guns. The problem is, not everyone is reported, and some fall through the cracks. We need to work on strengthening our mental health reporting and treatment before we start banning guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Canada 🇨🇦.
hard to infer what you are trying to say here? If you are saying canada is just as diverse as America, id say its hard to be as diverse when your entire population is smaller than California's, while their immigration policies are stricter than ours.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
DonaldPump5373.00
SoCalS2k274.50

07-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #46
Chihuahua
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

We have normalized sociopathy in this country.

I blame the internet.
Appreciate 1
SoCalS2k274.50

07-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #47
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:

Cars are a tool for driving but if you can't see or have seizures or other problems nobody will let you drive

So why does everyone get a right to use a tool for killing? Who is that helping? Why does a tool for killing need to be so easily accessible?

I never understand you guys comparing tool of killing to a tool of construction or a tool of transporting. It's not even close to each other except you can use the word tool for both.

It's like saying a pen and a car are basicly the same thing because they are both tools lol

So the question, lies then, in that do you also consider restrictions on tools that "can be used for killing" as compared to those which have that as a primary driver. I also don't look at a gun as a "tool for killing" as I don't plan on killing anyone with it - same as I don't plan on killing anyone with my car.

A gun is a "tool for protection" in the same sense as a door lock, a home alarm system, and so forth is.

If we go by your comment as a "tool for killing" then should we also outlaw or restrict other items which may have that as their primary purpose today?

Knives?
Bow and Arrow?

What about those that can be used and frequently are for killing?

Vehicles?
Baseball bats?
Steel Pipes?

What about marital arts? They can certainly be used for killing and many would argue that is their primary purpose.

Should we outlaw or restrict the ability for folks to learn martial arts?

What about the simple hand attached to your arm? For folks who are quite large, it could be argued that a simple punch could easily kill. How do you regulate that?

See my points here?
      07-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #48
Chihuahua
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Mental Illness is more prevalent in the USA vs many other countries in the world. The problem (not really a problem, but the issue as it relates to this convo) is that the USA is one of the most diverse places in the world. Everything from uber rich, to uber poor, 100s of ethnicities and races, tons of religions practiced all over, etc. This leads to a massive variance in personal morality among Americans. This leads to animosity towards others through racism, jealousy, etc. This also leads to a massive variance in how people are brought up, how well they are cared for, and how easily someone can slip through the cracks.

The issue is, whenever these things happen, everyone is quick to villainize or defend guns, and dont look at the underlying cause. Mental health is swept to the side cause that doesnt get brownie points.
Bingo.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #49
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Quote:
Why do we need a tool for killing available to everyone even crazy ppl
To protect us from the crazy people who will try to kill or harm us regardless of what weapon they can use. Firearms are a fantastic equalizer. They give a single person a fighting chance against a pack of thugs, and they give women and older people a level playing field against young/much stronger predators. I highly encourage every adult male and female to earn their CC and carry at all times.
Appreciate 4
DonaldPump5373.00
Run Silent10994.50
Now_Rudi5664.00

07-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #50
Eriphill
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
There are already regulations in place that are designed to prevent these types of people from getting their hands on guns. The problem is, not everyone is reported, and some fall through the cracks. We need to work on strengthening our mental health reporting and treatment before we start banning guns

hard to infer what you are trying to say here? If you are saying canada is just as diverse as America, id say its hard to be as diverse when your entire population is smaller than California's, while their immigration policies are stricter than ours.
Almost every one of these shooters is on SSRI's (antidepressants), but yes lets blame the tool.

And Canada has mass shootings as well.
Appreciate 3
DonaldPump5373.00
arkie6300.50

07-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #51
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback

what a steaming pile of crap...

Quote:
Mental Illness is more prevalent in the USA vs many other countries in the world. The problem (not really a problem, but the issue as it relates to this convo) is that the USA is one of the most diverse places in the world. Everything from uber rich, to uber poor, 100s of ethnicities and races, tons of religions practiced all over, etc. This leads to a massive variance in personal morality among Americans. This leads to animosity towards others through racism, jealousy, etc. This also leads to a massive variance in how people are brought up, how well they are cared for, and how easily someone can slip through the cracks.

The issue is, whenever these things happen, everyone is quick to villainize or defend guns, and dont look at the underlying cause. Mental health is swept to the side cause that doesnt get brownie points.
Rates of mental illness are substantially the same in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.. https://ourworldindata.org/mental-health Yet we shoot each other at very different rates.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #52
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

I stand corrected.

But that doesn't give DonaldPump the right to suggest he can use violence to charge in Harris' office. My specific comment was about the current leadership. Nobody is running on getting rid of the 2nd amendment. Yes there are a few outliers, but that isn't what is trying to be done as a whole by the Democratic Party.

Gun regulation is not equal to getting rid of all guns.

Edit: Shooter sounds like he was a white supremacist, wielding and AK47. Maybe the radicalization of the right needs to be addressed.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #53
SoCalS2k
Captain
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Canada 🇨🇦.
I think a lot of what you saying is so true so I have a deeper question to hear your thought on it.

For many years these type of things with crazy ppl is happening. I think crazy ppl are doing crazy stuff everyday somewhere in the world. But the media or ppl in power figures out if they can sensationize it then they can get something they want. For example when it's around election time suddenly there's all this terrorist appearing and evil muslims. But I was thinking this is many times sensationalized act of a crazy person but it gets changed to be muslims are evil because it's helps media or politician get power.

I also noticed similar thing happen to some trump fans (in not any way a trump fan im total opposite!!) but I did notice in unfair way when someone does something crazy then all them are blamed. Like that guy who had all the trump stickers on his van. Media tried to blame all trump ppl as being violent crazies.

But I really believe this is the act of truly sick and crazy individual ppl but media sensationalized it to meet an agenda like make all muslims look evil or whatever the goal of that time is.

But now that we are in this culture where everything is sensationizles and some group has to get blamed for what a crazy person does that what is the solution? If you keep false blaming a group for action of crazy person can you ever actually address mental health issues and actual problem?

Like every time there is a terrorism suspect they always kill him immediately You never get to hear anything. I always wondering if it's good to hear and to see what they are saying maybee we can learn and get to some kind of solution.

Same with kids in school shooting, they always show kid who looks drugged out or weird but it never goes anywhere else, everyone just blames and points fingers at all kids who think different, but I don't think they are the problem. The problem was the act of an actual crazy person with access to a weapon.

So I really think all this media sensation to make a bigger argument or point fingers is the real problem! There was an event when a racist guy killed some muslims in New Zealand and I was really shocked by what their president did. She said she would never repeat his name or give him an my extra attention. I thought that was a great idea and good step to dealing with these issues. Because that crazy guy wanted attention so she denied him the fame he wanted.

If media would stop trying to make a point (muslims are evil, trump ppl are evil, outsider kids are evil) and would g be a simple report and not sensationize these things I bet it would make it happen less.

I know when you goto a baseball game and some crazy fan does something crazy on the field the tv doesn't show it or talk about it and I think that helped cut it down a lot.

I'm not saying they should cover up these happening they should report and we should know, but they should stop trying to make everything into a political issue is my opinion. Going back to terrorism in my life every Muslim type person I met has been so kind and nice but on tv or news they are all shown to be lunatics

I think here we will see who the media will try to blame and they will 100 blame some group for this but in my heart I feel this is probably a totally crazy person and this needs to be addressed better.

And if you could identify crazy ppl why should they be allowed anywhere near any kind of tool that could be used for their crazy ideas!

I really love to hear your opinion since I think you are also saying crazy ppl is the root of the problem

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #54
SoCalS2k
Captain
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Quote:
Why do we need a tool for killing available to everyone even crazy ppl
To protect us from the crazy people who will try to kill or harm us regardless of what weapon they can use. Firearms are a fantastic equalizer. They give a single person a fighting chance against a pack of thugs, and they give women and older people a level playing field against young/much stronger predators. I highly encourage every adult male and female to earn their CC and carry at all times.
When I see a crazy person I usually try to get far away from them not confront them. I leave that to professional that know better then me

Like when I'm driving I think everyone is crazy!! They are all coming into lanes or tailgating or other stupid stuff. I try to avoid them but I know other ppl trying to show them who's boss and tailgate back or curse each other and then sometimes it gets out of control to massive road rage problem. I don't think escalating is good that's why I don't understand why anyone but police need to walk around in streets with gun. This is not against second amendment since I don't know enough about that but I'm talking about walking around on streets. There's too many crazy ppl out there and last thing I need is for them to be armed. Giving them all cars and cell phones has been bad enough. I hate driving these days!!
Appreciate 1
NickyC4903.00

07-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #55
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
I stand corrected.
Thank you.

Quote:
But that doesn't give DonaldPump the right to suggest he can use violence to charge in Harris' office.
I 100% agree.

Quote:
Nobody is running on getting rid of the 2nd amendment. Yes there are a few outliers, but that isn't what is trying to be done as a whole by the Democratic Party.
Gun regulation is not equal to getting rid of all guns.
I also agree. This is a fair point. I don't believe that any current democrat primary contender has denounced the 2A. I do think that many want substantial restrictions, though.

I also agree that gun regulation isn't necessarily a bad thing and I do think that we should do more to keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them.

The problem lies twofold, though:

1) Criminals and those with mental illness are already banned from owning firearms. The problem isn't more regulation, it's stricter enforcement of the regulations we already have.

2) I personally don't trust our government to do anything right or moral. Giving them more control over who and who cannot protect themselves with a gun just makes me all kinds of nervous.

Quote:
Shooter sounds like he was a white supremacist, wielding and AK47. Maybe the radicalization of the right needs to be addressed.
He was Iranian.

I understand that some of the books he mentioned in his social media posts can be traced to those promoting white supremacist bullshit, but the overarching theme of those books wasn't specifically about that.

As such, when taken as a whole, rather than cherry picking tidbits to fit a particular narrative, it is very likely that he wasn't a terrorist or a white supremacist.

Again, for clarity - he wasn't white.

07-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #56
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
Rates of mental illness are substantially the same in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.. https://ourworldindata.org/mental-health Yet we shoot each other at very different rates.
Whilst that may be accurate,

1) The USA has a woefully inadequate mental health system. This is likely the major source of the problem. Those other countries are simply better at managing the epidemic.

2) I'd have to search for it, but I believe that the UK has comparable rates of violent crime and mass assaults/attempts at murder as the USA - they just use different tactics (bombs, knives, acid, fire, etc. instead of guns). As such, it doesn't really matter how a child was murdered - just that he was murdered - wouldn't you agree?
      07-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #57
NickyC
Major General
Rep

Quote:
When I see a crazy person I usually try to get far away from them not confront them. I leave that to professional that know better then me

Like when I'm driving I think everyone is crazy!! They are all coming into lanes or tailgating or other stupid stuff. I try to avoid them but I know other ppl trying to show them who's boss and tailgate back or curse each other and then sometimes it gets out of control to massive road rage problem. I don't think escalating is good that's why I don't understand why anyone but police need to walk around in streets with gun. This is not against second amendment since I don't know enough about that but I'm talking about walking around on streets. There's too many crazy ppl out there and last thing I need is for them to be armed. Giving them all cars and cell phones has been bad enough. I hate driving these days!!
All true of course. I just wish we knew when they were coming so they could be avoided. Sometimes we get surprised ya know.

I'm with you 100% on the road rage. I haven't used my horn in years, and just ignore anybody who does me wrong on the road. It ain't worth it and people are nuts.
Appreciate 3
SoCalS2k274.50
Now_Rudi5664.00

07-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #58
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Itís always important to remember that suicides make up the vast majority of gun deaths:

https://wonder.cdc.gov/controller/da...D25BE31BB58A4F
Attached Images

Hebrews 4:12
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:13 PM   #59
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Canada
Rep

not even close...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Whilst that may be accurate,

1) The USA has a woefully inadequate mental health system. This is likely the major source of the problem. Those other countries are simply better at managing the epidemic.

2) I'd have to search for it, but I believe that the UK has comparable rates of violent crime and mass assaults/attempts at murder as the USA - they just use different tactics (bombs, knives, acid, fire, etc. instead of guns). As such, it doesn't really matter how a child was murdered - just that he was murdered - wouldn't you agree?
Total homicides U.S. 4.90, Canada 1.70, U.K. .90 per 100,000 https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/ind...RC.P5/rankings . Regarding 1) there is evidence that your inadequate health care system does contribute to anxiety among the uninsured and under-insured. Who da thunk it!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:31 PM   #60
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Total homicides U.S. 4.90, Canada 1.70, U.K. .90 per 100,000 https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/ind...RC.P5/rankings . Regarding 1) there is evidence that your inadequate health care system does contribute to anxiety among the uninsured and under-insured. Who da thunk it!
- I didn't say our healthcare system was inadequate, just our mental health care system.

- Using your link, one could also ask the question; if guns are the problem, then why do countries that have total bans on guns have so much higher homicide rates than the USA? In addition, why do some countries on that list who have fairly liberal access to guns have homicide rates much lower than the USA? By definition, the link you provided proves causality is not related to access to guns.

vreihen16478.50

07-29-2019, 05:38 PM   #61
joooiiiiii
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

I used to go to the Garlic Festival all the time while living there, it's very community oriented and the food selection there is amazing. It's so unfortunate for this to happen, my hearts go out to them. However, as soon as I saw this on the news I knew that the Gun Violence tweets from politicians were going to surface.

I'm not one to make light of the 2nd Amendment but everyone is up in arms about whether its a tool or not, why there is a need for guns and/or why there is such a huge "gun culture" in the US. My argument has always been that people want something to blame and easy solutions but the fact is there is no easy solution to this. Banning guns outright is like putting a band-aid on a shotgun wound--the real reasons for this is a societal and mental health issue.

People want to compare the US, a country of 300+ million people to Europe's tiny, separated countries and their gun laws, but the truth is--their culture is vastly different than ours, even as a Westernized civilization. Why are we concentrated on guns right now? There are so many laws on acquiring guns yet they prove time and time again to be in the very hands of people who aren't allowed the have them.

Let's work on fixing our society first. Fix the broken families, fix the the incarceration system, fix the mental health of all of those that need it, and more. With 390+ million guns in the United States--even banning guns won't stop gun violence nor rid of them. Let's get real here.
Appreciate 4
SoCalS2k274.50
2000cs901.50
NickyC4903.00
Now_Rudi5664.00

07-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #62
NickyC
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joooiiiiii View Post
I used to go to the Garlic Festival all the time while living there, it's very community oriented and the food selection there is amazing. It's so unfortunate for this to happen, my hearts go out to them. However, as soon as I saw this on the news I knew that the Gun Violence tweets from politicians were going to surface.

I'm not one to make light of the 2nd Amendment but everyone is up in arms about whether its a tool or not, why there is a need for guns and/or why there is such a huge "gun culture" in the US. My argument has always been that people want something to blame and easy solutions but the fact is there is no easy solution to this. Banning guns outright is like putting a band-aid on a shotgun wound--the real reasons for this is a societal and mental health issue.

People want to compare the US, a country of 300+ million people to Europe's tiny, separated countries and their gun laws, but the truth is--their culture is vastly different than ours, even as a Westernized civilization. Why are we concentrated on guns right now? There are so many laws on acquiring guns yet they prove time and time again to be in the very hands of people who aren't allowed the have them.

Let's work on fixing our society first. Fix the broken families, fix the the incarceration system, fix the mental health of all of those that need it, and more. With 390+ million guns in the United States--even banning guns won't stop gun violence nor rid of them. Let's get real here.
Couldn't agree more, well said. I think guns are blamed because they're easy to demonize, and the folks who want control over us don't want us to have them. It's also far more difficult to actually fix society's problems, we're at the point now where even calling out shit holes like Baltimore for what they are gets you deemed an evil racist. The PC nonsense and the PC culture is completely out of control, to me it's far more dangerous than the guns.

If people really start asking questions about what has happened to our society, our culture, our families, our heritage, they'll come to some very uneasy answers about what our political leaders have been up to for the past few decades. Our society is decadent and is only getting worse, you cannot even voice your opinion against any of this degeneracy without instantly being labeled a bigot, homophobe, racist, xenophobe, take your pic because they'll call you all of them.

The destruction of the family, and the rise of single parent families has a massive amount to do with all of this. But of course fixing that is nearly impossible and would take an incredible amount of courage to take on truthfully, so let's just blame the guns. Typical.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent10994.50
vreihen16478.50
Now_Rudi5664.00

07-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #63
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Canada
Rep

I didn't say that guns were the problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Using your link, one could also ask the question; if guns are the problem, then why do countries that have total bans on guns have so much higher homicide rates than the USA? In addition, why do some countries on that list who have fairly liberal access to guns have homicide rates much lower than the USA? By definition, the link you provided proves causality is not related to access to guns.

I've said that giving Americans access to guns is a problem. I can't say that I really understand what is at work here, particularly why Americans are so different statistically than Canadians when it comes to gun violence. As I indicated below I think it is something that a phenomenologist would call an ontological problem: guns present themselves differently to Americans. But the difference I'm talking about is more emotional and subconscious, something quite different from "gun as a tool". What this means is that we imagine using guns in different ways. To me this is a genuine puzzle as we share so much culturally.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2019, 07:39 PM   #64
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
You’d have to be a retard to think they would be that obvious.
having recently renewed a permit i have to agree that it is not obvious but you can see how it is becoming more and more difficult to continue bearing. this was the most arduous and lengthy process yet and in addition to the application one had to have signature of spouse and notarized along with copies of gov't identification etc. the comical part is that i went to local precinct first to take advantage of a program they have for turning in firearms and they told me it does not qualify locally and i had to go into the middle of nowhere and turn it in to see if it qualifies there. basically everyone wants control but no one knows the regulations unless you renew directly. bureaucracy at it's finest. while this is becoming more difficult to legally own, the criminals continue to have access to weapons and firearms without issue or impedance in "fast and furious" manner or other methods.
Appreciate 1
DonaldPump5373.00

07-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #65
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can't say that I really understand what is at work here, particularly why Americans are so different statistically than Canadians when it comes to gun violence.

Quote:
I can't say that I really understand what is at work here, particularly why Americans are so different statistically than Canadians when it comes to any type of violence.

Fixed that for ya; welcome.

07-30-2019, 08:19 AM   #66
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:

Condolences to the families and friends of the victims.

Killing is a decision and an act. The tool is immaterial. Gun's, knives, bow and arrows, sling shots, spears, garrotes, blunt instruments, axes, etc., make the heinous act easier and faster...more convenient.

Guns do have a higher propensity for accidental killing which is a major caveat.

The decision to kill is made in the mind long before the act is committed...the tool is just that...a tool.

Cheers-mk

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 3
DonaldPump5373.00
Run Silent10994.50