New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-03-2016, 05:01 AM   #45
sjeupie
Private
Rep
Drives: Tiefseeblau E89 Sdrive 23i wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.D.335xi View Post
I firmly hit it in the middle.

Hopefully, the design of the storage compartment didn't change between our model years and you will have success too.

The ski pass through kit is essentially a long nylon bag with a plastic frame that fits to the same "hole" in the bulkhead as the stoarage compartment. As a result, if it was installed there would be nothing solid to push against to remove from the passenger compartment (like the storage unit, the ski pass through is installed from the trunk side). That doesn't mean that there isn't some way to push it through into the trunk from the passenger compartment. However, without actually seeing it installed I don't know how straight forward a process it would be.

The lack of an external key mechanism somewhere on the trunk of the Z4 is a design flaw in my opinion. My 2009 335 coupe had comfort access (as does my Z4) and it still had a lock on the trunk that I could open with the key if necessary.
Ok thnx. Did not see any nylon bag lying around so that answers that question. I was going to use my Landy for hauling my ski's around anyway

Did you try to juice the car with starter cables or you went straight for the storage compartment method? I'm asking cause I wonder if, having disconnected the +, starter cables are out of the question anyway as the OP didn't manage (with a charger though).

I'll be back at the car in 4 months time or so with some starter cables and 'blunt weapons' and will report back here. Let's hope for the best. Because, although she's sexy to look at (especially in the deep blue see colour, I assume you can relate to that ) I prefer driving her around as well!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #46
Jetmart
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z435is

I have a 2011 35is with an emergency trunk lid pull release. How does BMW expect you to get to it if not through the storage compartment between the cockpit and the truck? The manual points out the pull tab but no mention on how to get to it.
      01-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #47
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Well the release is mandated by law to allow people trapped in the trunk to get out. (That's why it is glows in the dark)
That said, it is still "reachable" through the pass thru but you might have to break some tabs and then reach thru with a grab tool and a bit of luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #48
Jetmart
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z435is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltee View Post
Well the release is mandated by law to allow people trapped in the trunk to get out. (That's why it is glows in the dark)
That said, it is still "reachable" through the pass thru but you might have to break some tabs and then reach thru with a grab tool and a bit of luck.
Makes sense. Thanks
      01-04-2016, 01:28 AM   #49
C.D.335xi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Garage List
2014 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you try to juice the car with starter cables or you went straight for the storage compartment method?
No, I didn't try jumper cables.
      01-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #50
sjeupie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltee View Post
And only in the US I believe. I never checked (and currently can't ) but I believe the EU versions have got no lever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.D.335xi View Post
No, I didn't try jumper cables.
Ok, I'll try that too then and report back. No risk of damaging something I assume by connecting it to the battery of my Land Rover Diesel? I'm new to BMW and everything seems to require a bit more attention than a Land Rover, which loves to be abused.

Last edited by sjeupie; 01-05-2016 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #51
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Some similar thoughts

My car is in storage for the winter with no A/C source, but gets an occasional drive. The battery stays connected. But I may still need to get at the battery if it should die. I thought I could free the emergency trunk release from its bracket and remove the hatch between the seats and lead a lanyard to the emergency release, in case the battery dies which of course is in the trunk. But Is the emergency release mechanical or electrical? I realize that if it isn't locked I can use the Emblem trunk release but that is actually electrical also. I could leave the trunk ajar but then I would need to deal with disabling the trunk light. Can't believe there isn't another way to handle this.

If the above all require battery power, I assume I could use jumper cables to the under hood connectors. But if that is too far away I need to push the car out of the garage. However the Park and/or emergency brake are electrical and therefore need to be left off?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 02:42 AM   #52
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

I know that it seems European models don't have the emergency release handle as my UK car.
If the battery is disconnected and the boot lid dropped, what powers the two side locks to jam it shut?
Does it just latch slightly and can the boot just be lifted a few cm's.

I know when I had the boot lid liner off, there is a solenoid operating a white lever with a spare hole for the emergency release cable.
When pushed the locking solenoids operate providing there is power.
So even pulling the emergency release may not open boot if there is no power.

I think what you have to be careful with is how you disconnect the battery, not the lead but the whole connector block. Otherwise you are breaking the circuit to the engine jump points.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #53
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Trunk quandaries

Concerned that the battery may die during storage, I decided to try opening the trunk with the car locked and no key. But first I tied a lanyard to the emergency pull and led it in through the access port between the seat. The point being to determine if the emergency pull would unlatch the trunk or would merely actuate an electric switch for the motor that normally unlocks the lid and be useless if the battery was dead. So I pulled the cord and Ta-da it does both. The trunk opens then the motor runs redundantly. So: I left the lanyard on during storage, The car can be locked as long as a window is open so you can get in.
I don't know any way to test the electric park and the hand brake to see if they can be released with a dead battery so I left the electric hand brake off and the electric park off in case they use current or the battery dies and I need to push the car back out of the garage for a jumper connection.

For those who live in other countries, the emergency pull is a ripcord thingy that clips inside the trunk lid and even glows in the dark and is required by law for the use by a very small clumsy person who falls in while the trunk is closing..[
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #54
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I checked today.
Lowering the boot to almost shut it catches and can't be reopened.
So even if lowered gently the boot will latch and only with power could I open boot.
No emergency release or access via the ski tunnel, as I don't have that option.
I think I would have to be very careful when disconnecting battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 03:19 AM   #55
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

Didn't read everything, but
  • Opening the front door with a key
  • Opening the hood/bonnet with the latch in the leg area and
  • Attaching a charger or an external battery (e.g. http://amzn.to/22P1VaX) to the connectors under the hood (http://bit.ly/22P2kdI - different car, same connectors)

isn't an option for you to get into the trunk?

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #56
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

For those who wonder. This is an old thread which the OP was able to solve . . Then sjeupie restarted it. He has no emergency latch and gave up until spring. Without battery power he can"t open the trunk to connect it. The underhood terminals won't do anything either. (In the USA there is the emergency latch which would be fine if it could be snagged somehow through the opening between the seats.) Then I probably confused things with my experiments fearing a dead battery while in storage, which I think I solved by running a pull cord back to the emergency latch.
I am still wondering if the electric brake and Park will release without battery power.

Update the manual shows how to release the P Park with a dead battery

Last edited by Zyal8r; 01-09-2016 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 04:50 AM   #57
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyal8r View Post
The underhood terminals won't do anything either.
This is what I do not understand. Working fine here.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #58
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Mick the problem is that his battery is disconnected. He removed the connections at the battery and then closed the trunk so nothing works. Those terminals under the hood are dead with a disconnected battery.
By the way, the transmission cannot be shifted out of P Park with a dead battery. The manual shows how to do it with an allen wrench in the car. This may come into play when towing also.
Suggest this be reviewed in the manual whether or not you store your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #59
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep

Um, at least in my car the terminals are not dead. I can add a charger or an external battery and this source will power the complete car. I believe that I could even start the engine, if external power was strong enough. For opening the magnetic locks of the trunk, a small battery as that in the link I had posted is good enough.

So I still do not understand if it's a different configuration in US cars or if there is another reason why I do not have any problems with the trunk (and at least one other German E89 driver either - http://bit.ly/1mNLpYG). Anyways, it appears that not all German cars can be opened the way it works with mine - http://bit.ly/1mNLL1h.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #60
sjeupie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
If the battery is disconnected and the boot lid dropped, what powers the two side locks to jam it shut?
Does it just latch slightly and can the boot just be lifted a few cm's.
Yes, it latches just slightly and the car did not perform it's electronical lock to tighten up the 1,5cm space. But it is enough to deny you access to the trunk.
As I said earlier, it should be possible to force the lid 5mm to the right and then 5mm to the left, to unhook the mechanical closure. IMO this would stress the hinges quite significantly and thus I prefer breaking the center compartment.

Quote:
I think what you have to be careful with is how you disconnect the battery, not the lead but the whole connector block. Otherwise you are breaking the circuit to the engine jump points.
How do you mean 'the whole connector block'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyal8r View Post
For those who wonder. This is an old thread which the OP was able to solve . . Then sjeupie restarted it. He has no emergency latch and gave up until spring. Without battery power he can"t open the trunk to connect it. The underhood terminals won't do anything either.

I am still wondering if the electric brake and Park will release without battery power.

Update the manual shows how to release the P Park with a dead battery
Correct but not sure yet if the underhood terminals really won't do anything either. But I'm afraid not.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #61
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

If voltage to the under-hood terminals does not work, it would be interesting to have a tech look at a good wiring diagram to see if any wires are accessible' perhaps at the trunk switch in the car or the fuse box. This wire should go straight to the latch.
I just hope you don't have to damage your car interior in order to get in there through the bulkhead..

Last edited by Zyal8r; 01-13-2016 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #62
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Ok i have had enough of this thread. Its time to get down to business. so here is what we know.

1. if you disconnect the battery and close the trunk the latches lock preventing the trunk from opening.
2. Using jumper cable battery charger will not supply power to the key fob and actuator to release the trunk.

the only solution i can think of:
If I had a wiring and routing schematic of the wires in the vehicle i suppose we could locate the wires that enter the cabin that operate the actuators. Once located we could use a separate power source such as a 12V battery and temporarily power that one line which would force the actuator to cycle thus opening the trunk. We would have to take note of sensors and possibly diodes in the circuit so as to avoid damaging them when supplying power this way.

potential interest points are
1. the trunk release button in the footwell. (this likely supplies a ground not 12v though)
2. the fuse box itself should have a fuse for the trunk that we could supply temp power to the positive side. (this method might require that we have power to the ECU and the module that is operated by the key fob too [don't remember the name])

although if you can power that one circuit and then press the trunk release button in the footwell i suspect that the trunk will release.

NOW does anyone care to test my theory? anyone have a schematic? This trunk issue cannot be that hard because BMW doesnt take that long to open one that isnt powered up. Plus i know the engineers have figured out a way to open it but im sure they are tight lipped.
      01-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #63
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

There isn't a trunk release button

I would assume if you remove the earth connector terminal from the battery (and not the red lead connector to the positive terminal block which I assume disconnected the engine jump point and power to car), you can't lock yourself out of car, therefore have access to the bonnet (hood) release and can therefore jump power to the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #64
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Rking its actually our theory, See the post above yours.
At any rate, I hope it works

Last edited by Zyal8r; 01-13-2016 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #65
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There isn't a trunk release button

I would assume if you remove the earth connector terminal from the battery (and not the red lead connector to the positive terminal block which I assume disconnected the engine jump point and power to car), you can't lock yourself out of car, therefore have access to the bonnet (hood) release and can therefore jump power to the car.
There is a trunk release button on my 35i USA in the door jamb.
Opening the hood (Bonnet) is not a concern.
The big red connector is not connected to the battery so I don't think it is known just where the current would go if applied to the under hood terminals without the battery in the circuit. A diagram is needed for that and also to determine if the circuit for the trunk latch might be accessed through the button in the car or the fuse box. Different countries and specs could make all this tricky.
After all this I am certain that the OP is going to say he googled it and found a simple fix.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #66
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Now I know what the blank is next to the hood release.
Miserly BMW!
Appreciate 0