New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Love my 35is, but seriously thinking of getting rid of it.

I have a paid off 2012 35is that has less than 20k miles on it. As much as I love it, I’m seriously thinking of getting rid of it and here’s why. Lately, every time I drive it something minor seems to go wrong with it. While they are mostly easy fixes, I always feel like I’m just one drive away from a major problem. I know I should just drive it and enjoy it, but it’s hard when I read all the horror stories about DCT transmissions, etc. anyone else feel the same way?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

My wife's DD '13 35i has about 57k miles on it and has been out of warranty (and I mean totally without any kind of warranty) for well over two years. I have a good relation with a local indie shop and I stay on top of whatever might be going south. So far no problems whatsoever. You might want to try a variation of what I did before the car went out of warranty. Have a good shop go over it with a fine tooth comb to see if they can spot anything you're not aware of and make your sell/keep/repair decision based on that.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 12:03 AM   #3
Z4EDH
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.5IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I have a paid off 2012 35is that has less than 20k miles on it. As much as I love it, I’m seriously thinking of getting rid of it and here’s why. Lately, every time I drive it something minor seems to go wrong with it. While they are mostly easy fixes, I always feel like I’m just one drive away from a major problem. I know I should just drive it and enjoy it, but it’s hard when I read all the horror stories about DCT transmissions, etc. anyone else feel the same way?
I feel ya, I have the same car, same year, more miles. Mine has an extended warranty but literally has 2-3 issues every other month. If some of these were out of pocket I’d be sick. I’d look and see if you could get a 3rd party extended warranty...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 01:33 AM   #4
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

I live by the words of Matt Farah from Smoking Tire youtube channel: "If you want a BMW go ahead but have 2 grand on a shelf ready if something goes wrong!"
Most major things that may have to be replaced are around 2k jobs: turbos, DCT clutch, injectors x6, adaptive struts, even hpfp or water pump are not cheap fixes. So if you have that 2000 USD/EUR ready and put aside you can take it easy and not worry about something braking each time you start it up. And enjoy the car.

Believe me i have worried a lot too.. 2009 car, never had a warranty. Mostly i worried in the beginning of ownership. Now im not that worried anymore. Have had no major problems for 3 years and that has eased my mind. Also i have accepted that 2000 eur rule.

At first i thought that rule applied only on higher end bmw-s like 35i and m cars, but i think this applies to even budget, bargain basement, low end bmw-s. I saw my friend pay 2700 eur for valvetronic repair on a e90 320i.. a 2 liter, almost the smallest engine you could get in that 3 series. I guess they dont even offer that small engines in USA. So even there 2k rule applies.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I would love to have a 35IS with only 20K. My 35i has 35K miles with about $1K in repairs plus the usual brake fluid, alignment etc. I think warranties are reasonable up to about 35K miles
I think you are good for quite a while but see my private message.
One thing would be to reduce the rear camber to the minimum to save those tires, if its not too late.
Appreciate 0