New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #111
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.0

Better way to mount headlight brkt

Fillipo,

I solved problem with a hose clamp going through slots in original bracket. I trimmed bracket to align with center line of control arm and then used hose clamp to permanently hold bracket.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #112
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Nice! I think this is also what jts1981 was referring to. Thanks for the pictures!

Filippo
      07-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #113
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just adding a post here that references the Hella Supertone installation, for which I did a separate thread.

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...6#post21954126

Filippo
      07-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #114
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For those following along (or those doing searches for scant e89 information!) ...

I'm in the middle of installing the footwell mid-bass woofers. These are somewhat elusive. The Bavsound kit does not include them. As I previously mentioned, and based on jake169 input, I am installing Hertz 165.1 speakers. The fit seems good (and I suspect any 6.5" single coil speaker would fit). But I did not want to cut the factory wiring harness, so passing this information along.

There is no BMW connector for the male side of the connection, since the factory speakers have the connector integrated in the chassis. No one in the aftermarket seems to sell this connector, either, nor could I figure out if there is a like connector on the BMW. So finally I went spelunking for a two-pin spade bit connector that was in the zip code. Sure enough Metra 72-6512 looked close, made for a Chrysler. I ordered it from Amazon (which has the wrong photo ... ignore the photo, the p/n is what matters).

I cut the plastic housing off, exposing the spade points. They fit perfectly into the BMW female connector on the wiring harness. I'll put small cable tie across the backside of the male and female connectors to keep them together. Problem solved.

I will need to drill 4 mounting holes in the car, which was not my favorite thing to do, either. But frankly the hole locations are close enough that it is too much of a headache to make (and mount) a conversion plate. I plan to put a bead of silicone caulk between the speaker chassis and car chassis.

FWIW, pulling the panels to access the speakers are easy. In both cases you have to unscrew the above foot kickpanel (underside of dash) with a few torx screws. Those panels then slide backward. You pull both door sills (a good firm tug pops them off), and finally you slide each kick panel off the rear carpet (where you'll see the kick panel sort of clips to the carpet). Of course on the driver side there is a phillips screw that mounts the hood release handle, which must be removed. Real simple stuff. The kick panels also slide back and out, once you've disconnected them from the carpet at the rear.

Filippo

Note the factory speaker connector is integrated into the overall speaker chassis. Of the two connectors shown, the right one is original, the left shows the shroud cut off:

Speaker ready for installation:

Hertz speakers clocks in at twice the weight of the BMW factory speaker it replaces:

Last edited by fmorelli; 07-22-2017 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #115
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Looks like first 2 pics links are bad - and I really want to see them. BMW is pretty good about offering the individual spade connectors if you can find them.

Also - everyone should keep in mind weight is not necessarily a good thing. Using Neodymium magnets can yield a "better/equal quality" speaker at less weight (tweeters specifically) and smaller packaging
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #116
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that wait was a determining factor. Rather the factory units are on a cheap plastic chassis and the Hertz seen far more substantial in every way possible.

Sometimes Google Photos kills the link and then it stabilizes. I really don't understand it, but I'll update and fix.

Filippo
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #117
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm posting all this detail on the Z4 footwell woofers as I've found nothing elsewhere, and hopes this helps someone. The Hertz 165.1 speakers are installed, and I just need to put the panels back in place.

I contemplated drilling four holes in the metal paneling, to mount the speakers, which was really not my first choice. But I was concerned about making an adapter plate (you can't buy one) because of the close overlap of the chassis (its mount points) and the factory screw locations. Inspecting the metal panel, I realize that BMW has actually inset plastic plugs which the screws mount to. I decided to make 1/2" birch plywood plates. As for making the adapters, I copied the outline pattern from the factory speakers. I drilled countersinks and switched from the 8mm socket head screws to panhead screwdrivers which mount more shallow. The resultant adapter plates were sprayed black. Before installing anything, I put some sound deadening material on the back panel. I then screwed the adapters to the chassis, then plugged in the speakers (make sure the pos/neg orientation is correct or the speakers will be out of phase), then I used a wire tie to hold the two plugs together since my modified Chrysler plug doesn't lock in.

The pictures should be self explanatory.

Filippo

Here are the finished adapter plates. Note you can see the phillips screws I used - longer ones for adapter to chassis, shorter ones for speaker to adapter.:

These are the recessed holes that allow for flush use of panhead phillips screws, when mounting the adapters to the body chassis:

Here is the adapter installed, with sound deadening in the background panel.

Here you can see how a wire tie was used to hold the plugs firmly together:

Speaker installed:
      07-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #118
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

So you only created the plates due to not wanting to mount to the metal (and use the plastic mounting nut plates? No depth issues?

And a new toy I just bought (if your interested) : https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-.../dp/B00ADR2B84

Plenty of SPL meters available on-line to use this with. Been too hot to go try it out in the vehicles
Appreciate 1
fmorelli160.00
      07-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #119
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
So you only created the plates due to not wanting to mount to the metal (and use the plastic mounting nut plates? No depth issues?
I was probably not too clear. I really didn't want to drill the chassis if I didn't need to. I didn't need the additional depth (there is plenty there). The adapters need 1/2" so I could countersink the panhead screws so they would not hit the speaker once it is mounted.

Quote:
And a new toy I just bought (if your interested) : https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-.../dp/B00ADR2B84

Plenty of SPL meters available on-line to use this with. Been too hot to go try it out in the vehicles
Yeah the heat is brutal in Virginia where I am right now. I go out and work on the car 5 minutes at a time. The rest of the time is spent in the shop making stuff, where there is A/C.

So on to the mic. My audiotech fisher amp has integrated DSP which is configured using their DSP PC Tool. While I do most work myself (hey it is cheaper than psych therapy sessions), bimmertech guys have told me that unless one has significant DSP tuning experience, one is better off letting a pro do this. I'm just not sure I want to spend the ramp up time to sort it all out. I've been asking around for a good reference in the Washington DC area, but no useful feedback yet on various forums.

Maybe I should order up the mic and take the plunge ...

The Rainbow 8" rear speakers arrived from Germany today. So next I'll pull apart both sides of the rear bulkhead so I can install both the speakers and amp, and do some sound deadening.

Filippo
      07-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #120
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

I have a similar amp (Audioson in the Z and a fischer in the x3). I'd d swear they are the same boards, just cross branded (plus are all the same configuration), but I digress.

I had them use a separate RTA for the z tuning (award winning installers here in Dallas), but I still ended up re-tuning over the course of a week. I got 2 different sound files for the X3, and again adapted accordingly. 50 yr old ears now in effect.... On both systems - one you understand the basics - it's fun to play around with. The complexity is in the crossover types and the db filter "strength". Bimmertech should have a file for the Z, they (Nelson - great guy) sent me theirs for the X

So - how do they sound?

The subs are going to be a bitch :-)

Last edited by Lurcher; 07-25-2017 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
fmorelli160.00
      07-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #121
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I got a question. I've asked this on the F30 board as well. My bimmertech amp came with an F30 file - Bav Stg 1 w/Ghost subs (these things are all over the F30 forum) as a start point. Here's what confuses me. The E89 Z4 676HIFI is a 9-channel system, right? 2 door, 2 footwell, 2 rear shoulder, 2 rear woofers, 1 front center. The bimmertech is 8-channel (as is the F30 sound system I believe).

What am I missing? What is the topology of our car's sound system? I may need to go look at the ETK for the car. I am told the bimmertech is a plug-n-play solution, but I don't get the channel disconnect.

Thanks,

Filippo
      07-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #122
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

So I lost the center channel when I put the amp in, as the amps only 8 channels. It was that or put a second amp in for the subs.

In the X3 and others - there is no mid-bass (6.5 inch), so it works (fronts (tweets/4 inch mid)/rears/subs/center). We are just special.....

Trust me - you won't miss it with the time delay. What I would recommend is some foam on the portion of the tweeter facing back - as the speaker is so close when driving it's hard to delay it "enough". Put you hand up to the tweeter when playing, holding a finger vertically on the back edge to see what I mean. Totally changes the imaging...

Does Nelson not have a file for the z?

Last edited by Lurcher; 07-25-2017 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #123
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ahhh ... some clarity. Thanks!

So while we are on this subject (and I can't find much of anything about our E89 Z4 audio systems) ... so I've read elsewhere that losing the center channel is no loss and I'm good with that.

But here's my curiosity. So does the Z4 have a 9-channel DSP/amp? That is, all speakers are powered from that amp? That's the lead question to the next - is the wiring setup on the bimmertech done so the output line to the center channel is dead? Obviously if there are 9 power wires out, this would only push 8?

I've tried to reach out to Nelson but got redirected to their generic support. I was given an F30 config. Reality is we are the only ones with 6.5" mid-bass in the footwells, so I think this is custom.

Filippo
      07-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #124
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You know I mostly post on this thread, in an attempt to keep things alive until others decide to post on this forum. Having it be nearly dead does not help the collective us .

Okay so a shout out to IND Distribution, who provides the color coded side reflectors some of us use on the Z4's. Turns out Atacama Yellow is rare enough that they didn't bother to have that on their paint selection list. No worries, Chloe @ IND asked that I send in a tow hook cover. They mixed and matched the paint, shot the reflectors, and sent everything back. No extra charge or anything. Looks good and I couldn't be happier. They'll get installed this weekend, so I can then get the lower part of the car all back together.

Filippo

jts1981209.50
      07-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #125
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorelli View Post

But here's my curiosity. So does the Z4 have a 9-channel DSP/amp? That is, all speakers are powered from that amp? That's the lead question to the next - is the wiring setup on the bimmertech done so the output line to the center channel is dead? Obviously if there are 9 power wires out, this would only push 8?
Good question. I'd just say that the center was a summed channel from FL & FR - but then it would be powered regardless. So not the right answer

Then I would say the subs are possibly bridged together (so the center gets it's own discrete channel). I'd have to plug my laptop in to my amp to see if this is how it's arranged - but I'm almost betting this is the case.

I highly doubt BMW would build anything like that for a low volume car. but...
Just checked realoem, the 676 Hifi amp is just for us! The 677 Pro also fits the X5...

I'm still betting the amps 8 channels and the subs got a single channel
Appreciate 1
fmorelli160.00
      07-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #126
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd have to plug my laptop in to my amp to see if this is how it's arranged - but I'm almost betting this is the case.
If you get a chance, let me know. I'm not quite there yet in my installation.

I know it is nuts, but Z4 does seem to be unique. The 6.5" footwells as best as I can tell are completely unique to our cars. So while I have an F30 map supplied by bimmertech for my e89 z4 (and they say they've done other Z4's), I don't buy that it makes any sense to the least of which the speakers are not the same.

If you find we are in a bridged setup I'll eat my Turner Motorsports hat! But you may have called that right!

Filippo
      07-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #127
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
8 channels:

The center channel is it's own channel
The left and right woofer is the same channel

Linky
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #128
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
8 channels:

Super helpful. Thanks much!

Filippo
      07-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #129
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorelli View Post

I didn't know I wanted these so bad until this moment
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 09:15 PM   #130
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you write IND, I bet you can order them now without sending in a tow hook cover :-) ... just write Chloe and tell her you saw them.

Filippo
      07-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #131
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
They can do standard BMW colors with out a problem. They matched my deep sea blue perfectly.

Filippo only had to send the tow hook since its a rare color.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #132
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
8 channels:
And just to be specific, the footwell mid-bass woofers are bridged. I gotta say, correct me if I'm wrong but that's some hinky shit. First why on earth did BMW decide that the Z4, the smallest of all their cars, needed footwell mid-bass woofers, when none of their other cars needed it? Next, who bridges a left and right speaker together, at least that is not a subwoofer (since channel separation is a non-issue for very low frequency non-directional)?

It would be better to kill the center channel and use the channel to get the footwell woofers each on their own dedicated line. I digress.

Filippo