New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #155
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

What is the style number for those wheels?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake745 View Post
FYI, we have the same color combo.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:16 AM   #156
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Thanks Dave! I will make sure to look at the ram and ID7 version. If you have know a specific seller or particular unit you think is good, please let me know. Please feel free to PM me link and I will buy it. I have never bought from Ali nor am I this tech-savvy lol. Any help is appreciated.

FYI, we have the same color combo.
That looks really nice, only one problem.... the steering wheel is on the wrong side only kidding.

I'll be in San Diego in November, I'll keep an eye out for you

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:55 PM   #157
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Gotcha, makes sense. Totally forgot about the stereo part. I’m about to order the unit from Ali express and will probably install in two weekends when it arrives next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed4USA View Post
It took a lot longer than I thought it would. Specifically due to three plugs which are impossible to unplug due to their "catch-pin locking mechanism". The pins are tiny and impossible to depress with enough force while simultaneously removing the plug from the socket.

If anyone knows of a tool or way to do this please let me know as, I feel like I may have destroyed the catching-pins with a knife trying to depress them.

The android nav screen plugs into the arm-rest aux port for sound. Therefore, any speakers that work with your stereo, work with the android nav unit. The android nav screen does not replace the stereo.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:19 AM   #158
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

The wheels are “styling 294”? Which can be found here: http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

Quote:
What is the style number for those wheels?!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:20 AM   #159
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Haha 😆

What part of San Diego will you be visiting. It’ll be awesome is you saw it while here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
That looks really nice, only one problem.... the steering wheel is on the wrong side only kidding.

I'll be in San Diego in November, I'll keep an eye out for you
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 02:08 AM   #160
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Haha 😆

What part of San Diego will you be visiting. It’ll be awesome is you saw it while here.
We'll be staying at the Bahia Resort Hotel in the Mission area. It's the southern most point on our 2 1/2 week road trip through California

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #161
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Very cool. It’s off highway 8, do let me know when you’re in town.

Quote:
We'll be staying at the Bahia Resort Hotel in the Mission area. It's the southern most point on our 2 1/2 week road trip through California
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #162
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

Is it possible to update to android 9 from 8.1?

I’ve looked and 1. my system is not reporting any available system updates, 2. all of the instructions that I can find online seem to indicate there are update buttons which my system lacks.

Is it a bad idea to do this update? The only app I use is the “AutoKit” app for wireless Apple CarPlay (with the adapter). I’m really hoping the update will fix the audio skipping that occurs every minute or so (happens when my phone is plugged directly into the dongle and when my phone is wirelessly connected to the dongle).

If anyone has a wireless Apple CarPlay adapter where the audio doesn’t skip regularly, please send me the purchase link.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:43 AM   #163
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Is it possible to update to android 9 from 8.1? In short, NO. I've been speaking to the manufacturers about this just yesterday and apparently it's a replacement board for Android 9 (a bit short sighted of them to produce the current board without the ability to be upgraded, something smart phones seem to have built-in for a least a couple of years to come!)

I’ve looked and 1. my system is not reporting any available system updates, It won't because it doesn't have this ability, strange but true
2. all of the instructions that I can find online seem to indicate there are update buttons which my system lacks. Go into "Settings" and then down to "System Info" then press "Factory Setup" and a keypad will come up, press 1314 then OK. But you're not going to get anywhere with this anyway

Is it a bad idea to do this update? The only app I use is the “AutoKit” app for wireless Apple CarPlay (with the adapter). I’m really hoping the update will fix the audio skipping that occurs every minute or so (happens when my phone is plugged directly into the dongle and when my phone is wirelessly connected to the dongle). I've looked into this as well, as it's the same with the ZBOX version. I've read through post-upon-post on the XDA Developers site regarding the Carplay/Android Auto box software and it seems that this is a long on-going issue. It does it for both the Carplay and Android Auto if you are using the USB dongle. Now for Android Auto users, if you use Headunit Reloaded app instead then you don't need the dongle and the sound is perfect!

If anyone has a wireless Apple CarPlay adapter where the audio doesn’t skip regularly, please send me the purchase link.
Hope that helps a little, although it's not positive.
As for the update, there is one currently out that has some flaws in it, but there is another one due out within the next week so I'll update as soon as I know.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #164
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Installed or at least partly installed. I am having some audio issues. I am not able to select aux from clicking mode on the radio unit. Secondly, I get the clock or no signal when I try to go to the bmw interface. Please help. Oh and Apple play is no where to be found but I think I say a previous post about downloading a file, I do have the white dongle from a car Navi
Attached Images

Last edited by Blake745; 07-26-2019 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:25 AM   #165
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update, I can now see the BMW screen but still no aux, now my BMW Bluetooth isn’t working and I can’t still get audio from the android unit.

Quote:
Installed or at least partly installed. I am having some audio issues. I am not able to select aux from clicking mode on the radio unit. Secondly, I get the clock or no signal when I try to go to the bmw interface. Please help. Oh and Apple play is no where to be found but I think I say a previous post about downloading a file, I do have the white dongle from a car Navi
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #166
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Update, I can now see the BMW screen but still no aux, now my BMW Bluetooth isn’t working and I can’t still get audio from the android unit.
OK lets go through a few things first....

That screen is clearly showing that your AUX input is at it's lowest point, so you won't be receiving any audio, so that needs to be put up to at least two dashers from the upper limit.
Have you used the 3.5mm AUX to AUX cable and run it from the new loom to the AUX socket in the centre console?
Have you transferred the two green fibre optic (MOST) cables from the original radio plug to the new plug on the new Y loom? You need to do this so that it is installed into the new plug that plugs directly into the rear of the radio.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 07:43 AM   #167
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
....Oh and Apple play is no where to be found but I think I say a previous post about downloading a file, I do have the white dongle from a car Navi
It's not in Google Play, download it from here.... https://www.dropbox.com/s/2y1m57ae6e...pk.1.1.7z?dl=0
Then put it on a memory stick and install it onto the screen.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #168
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks as always, Dave. Milo was super helpful, he responded to my questions overnight. He told me to connect the fiber optics, just like you referenced. For original iDrive, need to have the fiber optics connected to the new loom. Now I have sound and no more errors. Works like a charm and the sound from the fast and furious trailer is top notch 👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾

Quote:
OK lets go through a few things first....

That screen is clearly showing that your AUX input is at it's lowest point, so you won't be receiving any audio, so that needs to be put up to at least two dashers from the upper limit.
Have you used the 3.5mm AUX to AUX cable and run it from the new loom to the AUX socket in the centre console?
Have you transferred the two green fibre optic (MOST) cables from the original radio plug to the new plug on the new Y loom? You need to do this so that it is installed into the new plug that plugs directly into the rear of the radio.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #169
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

As for this link. It seems Dropbox has disabled it.

Quote:
It's not in Google Play, download it from here.... https://www.dropbox.com/s/2y1m57ae6e...pk.1.1.7z?dl=0
Then put it on a memory stick and install it onto the screen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #170
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So, radio is totally dead. No more sound no more visuals from screen. This happened as I was placing the unit back in place for final bolt down etc. I tried reverting back to the old screen and connections but to no avail there too. I checked all associated fuses and all seemed fine. Just my luck with this install 😩
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #171
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
As for this link. It seems Dropbox has disabled it.
Try again, it should now be reactivated
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 06:02 PM   #172
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So, radio is totally dead. No more sound no more visuals from screen. This happened as I was placing the unit back in place for final bolt down etc. I tried reverting back to the old screen and connections but to no avail there too. I checked all associated fuses and all seemed fine. Just my luck with this install 😩
There is either a blown fuse or the loom has come loose somewhere
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #173
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Could it be one of the fuses under the dash, or the lone fuse where the loom attaches to the radio?

As for the loom, it is quite possible that is the case. I am looking through each wire at the moment.

I’ve gone through all the fuses, no issues with them.

Quote:
There is either a blown fuse or the loom has come loose somewhere
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #174
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update after working through the night. I was able to track down the issue. It was a loose wire. Happy to report it works again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 01:36 AM   #175
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Glad you've found it.
I assume the loose connection was in the new loom plug?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 08:23 AM   #176
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Ok guys, I should have never happened upon this thread lol. What is a good link to Purchase the 4/64 GB version with Google 9?