New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-02-2019, 03:52 AM   #111
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalk776 View Post
How did you change the car icon in car play to bmw mine just shows a default car icon
Not sure if the autoplay one is the same as the ZBOX, but without plugging my phone in I opened the app (from the app list) and went to Settings and it's an option from there.

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #112
jpapg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
The How-To video is now on-line, sorry but it is 1 hour and 5 minutes long, but then there is a lot of detail.
Available at this link...

Great job DavesZed !!!
Pretty clean and straightforward. I did a similar DUI back in 2010-11 where I'd fitted a holder for the Galaxy tab 7inch, based on the BMW's portable navigation retrofit parts.
Anyway ...
I like the new unit quite a lot, and because I still love the car, I think Im gonna go for it, but before, I'd like you and the other fellas in the forum to kindly share your views on the following:
  • It's not mentioned anywhere in your videos, but how does the unit access the Internet?
    Is that a SIM card slot near the SD slot, or the only way is via a Wifi hotspot/tethering from a mobile phone ?
  • I have installed an aftermarket amp (basic sound system really sucked), so there's already one Y-loom behind the stock radio.
    I know the space there is pretty tight and those Y-quad looms are quite large in size.
    Do you think there 'll be additional room for one more to fit back there ?
  • Does the manufacturer provide firmware/software updates for the unit ?
  • Anyone installed Torque in this unit ?
    I have an ODBII bluetooth dongle, which I'd like to keep on using, even though the unit is still able to utilize some data from the CAN bus, like speed, revs, out temp, doors statuses, etc...
  • What's the display quality of the unit, in terms of brightness ?
    I'm guessing, you haven't been able yet to drive with the roof down on a warm shiny day and check if the screen is still readable and free of reflections, because of that terrible English weather ...
  • Did PhoneLink work for you and what's exactly the difference with the AAuto/HUR method you used to 'mirror' the phone apps to the head unit ?
  • Does Sygic Navigation come pre-installed ?
  • Back in the days, I'd retrofitted the 6FLA option (basic bluetooth module under the steering column) in the car.
    Is the unit able to handle this, or do I have to switch to the unit's bluetooth, in order to see the contacts catalog on screen and place calls from there ?
  • What's the form/capacity factor of the supported SD cards ?
    Im guessing is microSDXC ...
  • How did you contact A-carnavi and place your order ?
    Did you use the 'Inquire for better price' form in their website ?
    I didn't find any other way, nor is the price of the unit anywhere mentioned.

Thanx,
Regards

Last edited by jpapg; 04-10-2019 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 05:12 AM   #113
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpapg View Post
Great job DavesZed !!!
Pretty clean and straightforward. I did a similar DUI back in 2010-11 where I'd fitted a holder for the Galaxy tab 7inch, based on the BMW's portable navigation retrofit parts.
Anyway ...
I like the new unit quite a lot, and because I still love the car, I think Im gonna go for it, but before, I'd like you and the other fellas in the forum to kindly share your views on the following:
  • It's not mentioned anywhere in your videos, but how does the unit access the Internet?
    Is that a SIM card slot near the SD slot, or the only way is via a Wifi hotspot/tethering from a mobile phone ? Sorry, yes it's from a HotSpot from a phone
  • I have installed an aftermarket amp (basic sound system really sucked), so there's already one Y-loom behind the stock radio.
    I know the space there is pretty tight and those Y-quad looms are quite large in size.
    Do you think there 'll be additional room for one more to fit back there ? Honestly it'll be VERY tight, really depends on how big yours already is.
  • Does the manufacturer provide firmware/software updates for the unit ? Yes
  • Anyone installed Torque in this unit ?
    I have an ODBII bluetooth dongle, which I'd like to keep on using, even though the unit is still able to utilize some data from the CAN bus, like speed, revs, out temp, doors statuses, etc...Yes Torque does work with this, BUT you can only link with a WiFi dongle as the unit does not recognise Bluetooth OBD2 inputs (no idea why not)
  • What's the display quality of the unit, in terms of brightness ?
    I'm guessing, you haven't been able yet to drive with the roof down on a warm shiny day and check if the screen is still readable and free of reflections, because of that terrible English weather ... These units are fitted with the new anti glare screen. I have had the roof down on a fair few occasions here in the UK since I installed it (despite the rain while installing it!) and my findings are that with the sun to the front you do get a reflection of the passenger seat (mine are red) but you can still see and read the screen. My wife was wearing white the other day and it was very reflected in the screen though. With the sun behind you (ie; on the screen) you can still read it perfectly fine.
  • Did PhoneLink work for you and what's exactly the difference with the AAuto/HUR method you used to 'mirror' the phone apps to the head unit ? PhoneLink is an utter waste of time and completely redundant with the likes of Bluetooth music streaming and Android Auto or Carplay. You can only control anything on the screen via your phone so no use while driving.
  • Does Sygic Navigation come pre-installed ? No but it's available from the Play Store for FREE. Google Maps is pre-installed, but you need to either use data while driving or download the maps for where you are going via WiFi before you leave.
  • Back in the days, I'd retrofitted the 6FLA option (basic bluetooth module under the steering column) in the car.
    Is the unit able to handle this, or do I have to switch to the unit's bluetooth, in order to see the contacts catalog on screen and place calls from there ? I have the built-in Bluetooth for my calls and my contacts list is in my head unit. I was doubtful beforehand whether the units microphone would pick up my voice while driving (its on the left side of the screen on the side of it), but I have tried it and it works perfectly.
  • What's the form/capacity factor of the supported SD cards ?
    Im guessing is microSDXC ... yes Micro SD up to 128gb
  • How did you contact A-carnavi and place your order ?
    Did you use the 'Inquire for better price' form in their website ?
    I didn't find any other way, nor is the price of the unit anywhere mentioned. Yes as you say "Inquire for better price"

Thanx,
Regards
As in red above

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #114
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

DavesZed, I am having a problem with a-carnavi. I paid for the Android screen with iDrive and Wireless CarPlay on 04/03/2019 via PayPal. Later - still on 04/03/2019, they informed me that the item is not available in the configuration that I ordered it (wireless CarPlay). They asked me to wait a week. Then I noticed that the specs for the invoice was different (inferior) to the specs listed on their website (earlier version of Android OS, half the RAM, etc). On 04/10/2019, they told me that wireless CarPlay is still not available and the wait would be a "long time". I requested a refund from them 04/10/2019. They agreed to issue a refund 04/11/2019. No refund has been issued. I've had to escalate this with PayPal. Do you have any advice for me regarding dealing with this company?

Here is what their webpage lists:

Android 8.1
●Rockchip PX6(RK3399)
●6 core: Dual Cortex-A72(CPU 1.8GHZ)+ Quad Cortex-A53(CPU 1.4GHZ)
●2GB DDR4 32GB Emmc Memory.
●Build-in Microphone
●Support external Microphone
●GPU :Mali T860MP4
●Capacitive 8.8/10.25 inch
●Resolution: 1280*480
●2 x USB , 1x SD;
●Support Mirrorlink - Android & IOS.
●Built-in high sensitivity GPS.
●Bulit-in WIFI,Support 3D Map
●Support Multi Touch.
●Built-in BMW Canbus,Support iDrive.
●Support Steering Wheel Control.
●Support Original car info.
●GPS Sound is output from Front-left Speaker.
●Be compatible with original screen 6.5/8.8/10.25inch.
●Be compatible with/Without Optic fiber.
●Be compatible with/Without Original Navigation
●Support Original ALL FUNCTIONS.
●Support Original Radio.
●Built-in Bluetooth and Support Original Bluetooth.
●Support Idrive control in Android Menu.
●Support Idrive control in original Menu.
●Support Original/aftermarket camera.
●Support Parking trajectory/Radar.
●Support AUX Switch automatically-some old cars switch manually.

Here is what is on my invoice:

Android car multimedia for BMW E89 Z4 without original Idrive
●PX6 Android 8.0 OS
●10.25/8.8 inch Capacitive touch screen
●Quad core , Cortex-A9 Processor CPU 1.2GHz
●DDR3 1GB Ram, 16GB Rom
●2 x USB , 1x SD; SD Max support 32GB ,USB Max support 64GB
●built-in Quad core Mali400 graphics processor,Support 3D Map
●High-Definition TFT Screen, solution: 1280*480
●Support Multi Touch
●Built-in high sensitivity GPS receiver
●Bulit-in WIFI
●Support Video format: H264、MP4、AVI、RMVB、FLV、MKV
●Support 1080P.
●Support Audio format: MP3、WMA、FLAC、APE、AAC.
●Support BMW Canbus ,Support iDrive,Steering Wheel Control, car info.
●GPS Sound is output from Front-left Speaker when running radio .
●Support Phonelink Function: AirPlay(iPhone), Miracast(Android)
●Support 3G Function (Optional)
●Support DVR Function : USB 2.0 & AV/CVBS

Last edited by Zed4USA; 04-16-2019 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: consolidated three posts
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:09 AM   #115
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed4USA View Post
DavesZed, I am having a problem with a-carnavi. I paid for the Android screen with iDrive and Wireless CarPlay on 04/03/2019 via PayPal. Later - still on 04/03/2019, they informed me that the item is not available in the configuration that I ordered it (wireless CarPlay). They asked me to wait a week. Then I noticed that the specs for the invoice was different (inferior) to the specs listed on their website (earlier version of Android OS, half the RAM, etc). On 04/10/2019, they told me that wireless CarPlay is still not available and the wait would be a "long time". I requested a refund from them 04/10/2019. They agreed to issue a refund 04/11/2019. No refund has been issued. I've had to escalate this with PayPal. Do you have any advice for me regarding dealing with this company?
Firstly I didn't see this post before answering you on YouTube, so please ignore that as you've answered my question here.
Ok I'd say that they have just given you the wrong spec info as all the units are the same. As for having CarPlay built-in I think they have jumped the gun a little here and announced something that simply isn't ready yet. Personally I'd rather pay something around $30 for a dongle than $90 for it being built in, the dongle isn't in the way at all.
I'll speak to my contact and get him to look into it for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:10 AM   #116
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok for those that were waiting here is my installation video on the Parking Sensors and Reverse Camera....

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:25 AM   #117
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you! I appreciate your help. The refund has been initiated on PayPal (hasn't hit my credit card yet, but that can take 3-5 days).

My car has USB in the arm-rest (from the factory). Would it work to plug the USB CarPlay dongle into that port, or would that not work?

Quote:
Firstly I didn't see this post before answering you on YouTube, so please ignore that as you've answered my question here.
Ok I'd say that they have just given you the wrong spec info as all the units are the same. As for having CarPlay built-in I think they have jumped the gun a little here and announced something that simply isn't ready yet. Personally I'd rather pay something around $30 for a dongle than $90 for it being built in, the dongle isn't in the way at all.
I'll speak to my contact and get him to look into it for you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:30 AM   #118
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! I appreciate your help. The refund has been initiated on PayPal (hasn't hit my credit card yet, but that can take 3-5 days).

My car has USB in the arm-rest (from the factory). Would it work to plug the USB CarPlay dongle into that port, or would that not work?
No that won't work, it'll be one of the two flying USB leads.

I'm about to send you a PM!!

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #119
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No that won't work, it'll be one of the two flying USB leads.
Thank you Dave.

Do I understand it correctly that the USB port under the arm rest is not connected to the stereo and only provides power?

Do I understand correctly that the two flying USB leads are part of the display install? If that is the case, might it be possible to reroute one of the two flying USB leads to the USB port under the arm rest?

Last edited by Zed4USA; 04-18-2019 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: confusion about USB port under the arm rest
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #120
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you Dave.

Do I understand it correctly that the USB port under the arm rest is not connected to the stereo and only provides power?

Do I understand correctly that the two flying USB leads are part of the display install? If that is the case, might it be possible to reroute one of the two flying USB leads to the USB port under the arm rest?
The USB under the armrest is connected to the stereo either directly or via the MULF in the boot (depending on headunit) doesn't matter which though as it is a different style of connector to USB anyway. But it is both power and data for the USB input point on your headunit.
Yes the 2 flying USB leads come with and are directly connected to the screen. You could route them to the armrest and then install one of these USB sockets somewhere in there (photo), that would make a nice OEM style install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #121
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you again for your help and information.

At the moment, I use USB and AUX in the arm rest for a bluetooth receiver in conjunction with a CD-mounted Qi phone holder / charger to give me wireless audio and iPhone screen visibility for maps.

In an ideal setup, I'd like a Qi charging pad in the armrest (powered via USB), and Wireless CarPlay to the android screen. I wouldn't need to reroute the USB in the arm rest for that. But I would need Wireless CarPlay in the android unit, and I'd need to switch to the oddments tray in the arm rest (which I'm doing anyway - as soon as it arrives from the Baltics). The tray I have now with the cupholders and phone tray is too thin for an iPhone Xs with a case, never mind an iPhone Xs Max. And I never use the cupholders there anyway.

But if I can't get Wireless CarPlay, then the next best solution would be the CarPlay USB adapter in the arm-rest, which would require rerouting the USB from the android display to the arm rest.

Quote:
The USB under the armrest is connected to the stereo either directly or via the MULF in the boot (depending on headunit) doesn't matter which though as it is a different style of connector to USB anyway. But it is both power and data for the USB input point on your headunit.
Yes the 2 flying USB leads come with and are directly connected to the screen. You could route them to the armrest and then install one of these USB sockets somewhere in there (photo), that would make a nice OEM style install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #122
tommylotto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

Quote:
I have a USB routed to the center console. It just comes up through the bottom of the tray portion of the cup holder tray. Not very professional looking.

I tried to change out the cup holder tray for the oddments tray and install a flush USB jack, but I could not find enough room under the tray to conceal the excess wire and the depth of the jack. It is tight down there. It might fit in the empty area around the cup holders with the jack installed facing up through the top of the raised area between the cup holders and the tray. I decided to think on the problem before I start drilling holes in my trays.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to put wires and jacks below the oddments tray?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 06:07 AM   #123
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

If you scroll up 6 posts from here, you'll see there is a spot where you can install a USB jack. My car came with the USB port already installed (along with AUX and a cigarette-lighter style power port). I don't think the oddments tray will interfere with those ports I have under the arm-rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylotto View Post
I have a USB routed to the center console. It just comes up through the bottom of the tray portion of the cup holder tray. Not very professional looking.

I tried to change out the cup holder tray for the oddments tray and install a flush USB jack, but I could not find enough room under the tray to conceal the excess wire and the depth of the jack. It is tight down there. It might fit in the empty area around the cup holders with the jack installed facing up through the top of the raised area between the cup holders and the tray. I decided to think on the problem before I start drilling holes in my trays.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to put wires and jacks below the oddments tray?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #124
exmlcxjv
Rep
Drives: Z4 23i

just installed on my 23i 2009 without idrive unit, exactly the same as yours.

But i do have one small problem. I'm having a minor noise from speaker almost every seconds. it seems is generated from bmw professional headunit as i saw a blinking red led light at left side , it blinks the same frequency as the noise generated.

Do you face the same problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #125
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmlcxjv View Post
just installed on my 23i 2009 without idrive unit, exactly the same as yours.

But i do have one small problem. I'm having a minor noise from speaker almost every seconds. it seems is generated from bmw professional headunit as i saw a blinking red led light at left side , it blinks the same frequency as the noise generated.

Do you face the same problem?
Make sure that all of the connections and secure and tight, the three white plugs on the back of the screen, the two black Y loom plugs and the AUX lead. I suspect something is not quite tight.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #126
shaun.button1993
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW z4

Have placed my order for one through DavesZed!

Cannot wait to see it fitted!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 02:35 AM   #127
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun.button1993 View Post
Have placed my order for one through DavesZed!

Cannot wait to see it fitted!
Morning Shaun, you've found me here as well now

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:35 PM   #128
dcg78
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 11' Sdrive35i 6-speed

So where can you buy this unit at? I am not seeing it on avinusa website?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #129
tommylotto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

Avin decided to not sell this product. However, it has appeared in the Chinese market in various forms. I found it at AliExpress being sold by various people for various prices. Good luck in figuring it out.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...Z4+e89+Android
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:38 AM   #130
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Looks like the wireless CarPlay adapters are done.

https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/w...er+for+android

https://avinusa.com/wireless-apple-c...b-adapter.html

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wir...gateway&sr=8-5

Last edited by Zed4USA; 05-23-2019 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Added alt sites
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 07:15 AM   #131
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35is

Got my first problem

Seems like android crapped out. But can't interact with the screen to make a selection. Tried to use a usb keyboard that didn't work.

Any thoughts on this anyone run into this ?

Was working fine for 3 -4 weeks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 08:21 AM   #132
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalk776 View Post
Got my first problem

Seems like android crapped out. But can't interact with the screen to make a selection. Tried to use a usb keyboard that didn't work.

Any thoughts on this anyone run into this ?

Was working fine for 3 -4 weeks
Contact your point of sale, they'll sort you out with a file reset.
Have you tried the factory reset as on the screen?

Appreciate 0