New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-06-2023, 03:12 PM   #1497
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Many people don't want an ev now. Talking about it as 'fear' isn't accurate. I've test driven the y and s and travelled 1000s of miles in a mates model s. Doesn't make me want one/Doesn't appeal to me or my use case. Currently I have free choice to say no and buy what I want
By repeatedly talking about 2035 we are reminded of that free choice ending and that's where the problem lies. EVs need government mandates and subsidies etc to move ahead. Its an agenda that probably most folk on the street think is a pie in the sky.

They announced the 2035 ban when? 2020?

They gave everyone 15 years. Not 15 months or 15 days.

This technology will get better over time. Will it be fully ready by 2035? Probably not but we’ll be close.
      03-06-2023, 03:21 PM   #1498
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
They announced the 2035 ban when? 2020?

They gave everyone 15 years. Not 15 months or 15 days.

This technology will get better over time. Will it be fully ready by 2035? Probably not but we’ll be close.
Tesla is the ev leader..Look where the tesla is.... its been over 5 years since it became mass market and it pretty much churns out the same looking vehicle and models,
throw in a niche Plaid here or a raven there ..take away some radar or performance brakes there from mass sellers..
if this is how much can change in 5 + years there really is no hope in 15 years.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick60013.50
chad86tsi1605.00
spidy512491.50
      03-06-2023, 03:35 PM   #1499
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tesla is the ev leader..Look where the tesla is.... its been over 5 years since it became mass market and it pretty much churns out the same looking vehicle and models,
throw in a niche Plaid here or a raven there ..take away some radar or performance brakes there from mass sellers..
if this is how much can change in 5 + years there really is no hope in 15 years.
Brother look at when the model s was first debuted and when it became the fastest production car in the world. Look at its range too.

Look at what the tesla supercharging network has brought. I think without that tesla would be irrelevant.

The model 3/y are the best selling ev’s to this day. They’re doing something right.
      03-06-2023, 03:41 PM   #1500
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
The model 3/y are the best selling ev’s to this day. They’re doing something right.
This is like going to a craft-brew web forum and explaining that Budweiser is the best selling beer in the US. While true, it doesn't' really say much about the beer, of the customers that drink bud.
Appreciate 4
KRS_SN13504.50
M5Rick60013.50
Accentu8702.50
      03-06-2023, 03:43 PM   #1501
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
This is like going to a craft-brew web forum and explaining that Budweiser is the best selling beer in the US. While true, it doesn't' really say much about the beer, of the customers that drink bud.
And just like that beer company, car makers are trying to make money.

People complain about the constant rise from an already expensive tesla and yet ITS STILL THE BEST SELLING EV TODAY.

so yeah I’ll have a Budweiser on that note!
      03-06-2023, 03:45 PM   #1502
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I wouldn’t use Tesla as a way to estimate future industry progress over a 15 year span. Each manufacturer will have their own priorities and competitive motivators that will lead to interesting solutions being attempted to all of the challenges to getting us to the 2035 goal — a goal that only covers a few states in the US BTW.

I’ve driven Tesla’s on a test drive. Not a car I’m excited about and not one I’d own. I really enjoy my BMW 530e PHEV though and I’m sure I’ll enjoy a BMW BEV. Tesla is too focused on building cars for people who hate driving. That’s OK, I’m just not their target consumer. BMW is building EVs for people like me though… And that’s the same in the ICE world. A Toyota doesn’t drive like a BMW and a BMW doesn’t drive like a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 03:56 PM   #1503
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
And just like that beer company, car makers are trying to make money.

People complain about the constant rise from an already expensive tesla and yet ITS STILL THE BEST SELLING EV TODAY.

so yeah I’ll have a Budweiser on that note!
Like beer companies, some car companies also want to make a good product.

Like beer consumers, some car customers also want to buy a good product.

profit leder =/= good product, They can co-exist, but it's not a predictive factor.

volume leader =/= good product, They can co-exist, but it's not a predictive factor.

Last edited by chad86tsi; 03-06-2023 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      03-06-2023, 03:58 PM   #1504
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Brother look at when the model s was first debuted and when it became the fastest production car in the world. Look at its range too.

Look at what the tesla supercharging network has brought. I think without that tesla would be irrelevant.

They've done many things right. It's worth keeping in mind that standing still is running backwards as things stand.
Appreciate 2
spidy512491.50
      03-06-2023, 04:10 PM   #1505
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I wouldn’t use Tesla as a way to estimate future industry progress over a 15 year span. Each manufacturer will have their own priorities and competitive motivators that will lead to interesting solutions being attempted to all of the challenges to getting us to the 2035 goal — a goal that only covers a few states in the US BTW.

I’ve driven Tesla’s on a test drive. Not a car I’m excited about and not one I’d own. I really enjoy my BMW 530e PHEV though and I’m sure I’ll enjoy a BMW BEV. Tesla is too focused on building cars for people who hate driving. That’s OK, I’m just not their target consumer. BMW is building EVs for people like me though… And that’s the same in the ICE world. A Toyota doesn’t drive like a BMW and a BMW doesn’t drive like a Porsche.
Agree with 99% of what you say
Regarding the '2035 goal'
It's really not a goal that many people based on what they hear and see think can be realistic.. or else there won't be debates..
many even don't even see it as a goal that they subscribe to.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2023, 04:48 PM   #1506
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They've done many things right. It's worth keeping in mind that standing still is running backwards as things stand.
I'm not saying they're the best car brand in the world. I like my model 3 but it's not like i jerk off to it like some people do to their BMW's here.

They still run the EV world PERIOD. What they have done since the debut of the model s no one has reached yet. There is no ifs ands or buts about it.

The fact that their model 3/y, as expensive as it was when it first debuted, to the sudden price increases each model year, has been the best selling EV, says something.

It means those who want to experience this, have decided that there isn't anything else out there that offers what tesla offers at that price point. Which is what i was referencing months ago. Some people might have way better build quality, ok but then the performance and range isn't there. Some might have decent or on par performance with tesla, but then the range isn't there. Some people might find similar range as tesla, but the performance and price point isn't there.

I kept on saying it will take 5-8 years for car makers to fully catch up and surpass tesla if tesla, like you said, decides to just stand still.

If tesla finally brings out that 25k EV, depending on the specs, it will keep tesla ahead of everyone else. The charging network put tesla on the map, no pun intended.

This will get better as time moves on. Trust me. It doesn't look like that but it already has, and will.

2035 seems close but it's still far away. Wait until we get closer to 2030 you guys will see. Then you all can say, holy shit that fucking shithead BGM knew it all along.
      03-06-2023, 04:51 PM   #1507
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Agree with 99% of what you say
Regarding the '2035 goal'
It's really not a goal that many people based on what they hear and see think can be realistic.. or else there won't be debates..
many even don't even see it as a goal that they subscribe to.
This is kind of frustrating. It’s not a goal. It’s a mandate forced upon capitalists and consumers by governments. I wish the government would force all of you people to buy my products by 2035. I make health products that if you install them in your house, you live healthier. Maybe government should force people to be healthier or at least make a law that it’s going to be forced on them by 2035? I bet if they made such a law, I’d have the number one selling products of my kind in the history at my industry.

I do like Elon musk, and his company Tesla, but does anyone here think that company would’ve made it out be anywhere close to where it is today had it not been for all the tax incentives his products got? Of course not. I’m not even going to entertain a discussion on that. We all know what the truth is. Well, it’s only going to get worse as they start to force this on people. But I’m still banking cooler heads will prevail in the not too distant future. Let consumers decide what they want. Free capitalism. It works every time it’s tried.
Appreciate 2
chad86tsi1605.00
KRS_SN13504.50
      03-06-2023, 05:39 PM   #1508
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
I'm not saying they're the best car brand in the world. I like my model 3 but it's not like i jerk off to it like some people do to their BMW's here.

They still run the EV world PERIOD. What they have done since the debut of the model s no one has reached yet. There is no ifs ands or buts about it.

The fact that their model 3/y, as expensive as it was when it first debuted, to the sudden price increases each model year, has been the best selling EV, says something.

It means those who want to experience this, have decided that there isn't anything else out there that offers what tesla offers at that price point. Which is what i was referencing months ago. Some people might have way better build quality, ok but then the performance and range isn't there. Some might have decent or on par performance with tesla, but then the range isn't there. Some people might find similar range as tesla, but the performance and price point isn't there.

I kept on saying it will take 5-8 years for car makers to fully catch up and surpass tesla if tesla, like you said, decides to just stand still.

If tesla finally brings out that 25k EV, depending on the specs, it will keep tesla ahead of everyone else. The charging network put tesla on the map, no pun intended.

This will get better as time moves on. Trust me. It doesn't look like that but it already has, and will.

2035 seems close but it's still far away. Wait until we get closer to 2030 you guys will see. Then you all can say, holy shit that fucking shithead BGM knew it all along.
Err no.

Do you even follow them?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/qai/202...h-ev-industry/

Plus in the last few hours another 3k slashed off model y
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ond-time-year/

Also if the past few hours

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/06/tesl...-9percent.html
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      03-06-2023, 06:16 PM   #1509
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...lling%20models.

The Tesla Model Y was the world’s most popular plug-in electric vehicle with worldwide unit sales of roughly 771,300 in 2022. That year, deliveries of Tesla's Model 3 and Model Y have surpassed 1.2 million, which was a year-over-year increase of 36.77 percent for Tesla's best-selling models.

https://cleantechnica.com/2023/03/03...%20of%20growth.

The Tesla Model Y is #1 again in the electric vehicle market. Registrations were up 10% year over year (YoY) in January, to over 662,000 units. China’s market was the main driver of growth.

https://www.thehealthyjournal.com/fa...ld%20in%202021.

Who is leading in electric car sales?
At the top of the list of electric car models sold is Tesla's Model 3, with approximately 501,000 sold in 2021.
      03-06-2023, 06:47 PM   #1510
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Err no.

Do you even follow them?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/qai/202...h-ev-industry/

Plus in the last few hours another 3k slashed off model y
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ond-time-year/

Also if the past few hours

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/06/tesl...-9percent.html
market analyst to CEO:"We are market leaders and our sales figures are booming"
CEo to marketing team "lets slash prices."

This conversation ^ has never occured in any healthy business in any market segment, ever in recorded history. That it has happened at tesla is pretty, interesting...
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13504.50
      03-06-2023, 07:00 PM   #1511
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
market analyst to CEO:"We are market leaders and our sales figures are booming"
CEo to marketing team "lets slash prices."

This conversation ^ has never occured in any healthy business in any market segment, ever in recorded history. That it has happened at tesla is pretty, interesting...
Actually, this has occurred in many boardrooms across the country and it is a valid competitive strategy for a short time or for a long time depending on the goals of the company.

The classic term for this is a “loss leader” pricing strategy. Long term implementation of that strategy is done to drive sales in a more profitable section of the business (like selling a printer below cost to make it up selling overpriced ink). Another use of this is to attempt to corner a market early to maintain dominance once you’ve become entrenched and can push prices up.

Tesla may be leading the EV sales race right now, but they aren’t leading the car sales race overall and they have competitive headwinds that are getting very strong as traditional automakers aggressively move into EVs. Capitalizing on their current lead and branding might allow them to gain more new customers who will buy another Tesla and not end up in the EV of another brand in the future.

Business 101
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      03-06-2023, 07:07 PM   #1512
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Actually, this has occurred in many boardrooms across the country and it is a valid competitive strategy for a short time or for a long time depending on the goals of the company.

The classic term for this is a “loss leader” pricing strategy. Long term implementation of that strategy is done to drive sales in a more profitable section of the business (like selling a printer below cost to make it up selling overpriced ink). Another use of this is to attempt to corner a market early to maintain dominance once you’ve become entrenched and can push prices up.

Tesla may be leading the EV sales race right now, but they aren’t leading the car sales race overall and they have competitive headwinds that are getting very strong as traditional automakers aggressively move into EVs. Capitalizing on their current lead and branding might allow them to gain more new customers who will buy another Tesla and not end up in the EV of another brand in the future.

Business 101
Did yo umiss that they have slashed everything? That's not a loss leader strategy. Loss leaders are selling Lays potato chips for less than normal cost, knowing you will make it back on soda beer and hot dogs.

Home depot used to sell sheet OSB for a loss, but if you are buying OSB, you are also buying nails, other lumber, and usually siding or roofing, and lots of other profitable goods.

Tesla is selling cars, it has slashed the prices on all their cars, all of them.

Last edited by chad86tsi; 03-06-2023 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 07:10 PM   #1513
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Okay then, this synthetic fuel that Germany is going to delve into more is interesting but they could have put a better case to the eu bods that hits it on the nail more in that working and middle class people simply won't be able to afford EV's.
I can't imagine this stuff will be anywhere near as cheap as refined dino-juice. Even if only 50% more expensive in Europe (there will be zero interest in North America) that will be some expensive fuel!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 07:18 PM   #1514
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
I can't imagine this stuff will be anywhere near as cheap as refined dino-juice. Even if only 50% more expensive in Europe (there will be zero interest in North America) that will be some expensive fuel!
what is strange in all of this is that we already have organic carbon neutral ICE fuel. Henry ford developed his first ICE to run on it: Ethanol. It's cheaper than regular gas per gallon and easy to make too (simple infrastructure).

Seems the government doesn't want us to use it, for some strange reason. Perhaps they need to use a mandate.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2023, 07:26 PM   #1515
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Did yo umiss that they have slashed everything? That's not a loss leader strategy. Loss leaders are selling Lays potato chips for less than normal cost, knowing you will make it back on soda beer and hot dogs.

Home depot used to sell sheet OSB for a loss, but if you are buying OSB, you are also buying nails, other lumber, and usually siding or roofing, and lots of other profitable goods.

Tesla is selling cars, it has slashed the prices on all their cars, all of them.

Car companies have had loss leader strategies…

As I said earlier, it is driven by them attempting to head off competition by capitalizing on their brand lead right now. A sign they expect competition to be stiff so they are trying to get out ahead of it.

Will it work? I don’t have a crystal ball.

But them feeling the pressure means the automotive landscape for EVs is about to go through a lot of radical adjustments in Tesla’s forecasts and they don’t think they have a clear long term competitive advantage that allows them to charge a premium. They aren’t Apple who can raise prices during a recession where Android OEMs are cutting them due to softening demand.

In economics terms this is called “price elasticity of demand”… Apple can charge more because their demand isn’t tied very much to price. So they don’t need to join those Android OEMs in price cuts when the market goes soft and they can instead raise them to maintain their profit margin as inflation undercuts it.

This is all Economics 101

Last edited by LogicalApex; 03-06-2023 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      03-06-2023, 07:29 PM   #1516
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Business 101

That's how i see it.

They see their competition move in on this EV race so they slash prices to stay on top of the game. There is no doubt there are many MANY fans of teslas but most likely can't afford it, or justify the price to get the best bang for buck (even at it's current price point, or before the price cut) EV on the market today. That's why the 3/Y has done so well.

It might not be smart from a business standpoint, but that's not my forte. The only thing i see is that they see competition coming, so they cut prices to attract NEW buyers who might not want to introduce themselves to the EV world at the price point tesla has normalized in.

Smart but maybe not? Either way, elon is smart. So he knows what he's doing.

Car makers will catch up i'm sure. That's what i been saying. I can't wait to see this "25k tesla" elon has been cooking the past couple of years. He needs to introduce this to keep his EV crown on his head.
      03-06-2023, 08:51 PM   #1517
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Listen, I'm not trying to attack you here, but numerous times you've stated you've "blown away" other Posters when they've "debated" you, so you stand to take a test on your debating skills. I clearly pointed out my position is EV are not going to get less expensive because the cost of battery technology is not going to get less expensive than where lithium ion is now. The cost of producing EV is mostly in the cost of the battery. I pointed to the economics of manufacturing that any new battery technology will start at the top of the production cost curve and take the same time to come down the cost curve as lithium ion has. But to make EV less expensive the cost per kWh needs to come way down below where wet lithium is now and dry lithium solid-state batteries need to have much more energy density.

Your counter argument to my position is (a) Tesla has made a $25K EV, but "it's just not out yet", and (b) the Japanese and Koreans are going to sell EV, where you postulate just because they are Asian manufacturers, they won't sell $50K - $60K EV.

That's not debating. You offered no facts or reasonable position based on sound business or engineering principles why EV batteries will become less expensive to be cost competitive with ICE (assuming governments just don't tax the living shit out of gasoline and diesel). That's why you failed the debate.

All of your debate responses to any of us are void of reasoning other than "the EV shit's going to happen, lmaooo" and "I love 2035!" Your newest response is now that we are all "EV haters" because we "fear" the [...]
All valid points, but unless you enjoy raising your blood pressure, I’d just block him at this point.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2023, 10:17 PM   #1518
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Nah, my BP is just fine. But thanks for your concern. He's somewhat entertaining, like a circus act.
Here ya go
Attached Images

Efthreeoh17303.00