New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-06-2023, 08:50 AM   #1211
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
and now the goalpost is moved. once again bud its okay...it doesn't matter what people like, as long as you like it. you must have some serious insecurities that you keep projecting on me.
Are you really arguing semantics? OK man. Let’s just agree to disagree. I bet we can agree on something. I bet we both hope the Philadelphia eagles crush the Kansas City Chiefs Sunday. Are you with me?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 09:24 AM   #1212
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
It may surprise you to find how many people in the forum actually know and understand (I for one know full well it will, it was never even a question), its the question of when and how
How shouldn’t be a concern. You either adapt or you don’t.

When is already stated. 2030 or 2035 for the US.
      02-06-2023, 09:56 AM   #1213
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
People buy them because it’s an EV THAT WORKS. Other ev’s are either all 100k+ or really cheap but dog shit slow with shitty range and without the tesla network.

If the cars suck so bad, why are people buying them? They’re actually expensive when you compare prices of them years ago.

Has nothing to do with status or is it now? What status is that? I thought Tesla isn’t a luxury brand?

I don’t consider my model 3 luxurious at all.

I just know I’m driving the leading car maker when it comes to ev’s. It’s a superior brand to those who are trying.
You're drinking the Tesla kool-aid and suckling on that Elon teet, that's fine.

You also completely ignored what I said. Just because YOU don't think they're a status symbol or luxury doesn't mean jack.

BTW, the KIA EV6 not only charges faster but can also use all chargers that use the STANDARDIZED J1772 plug, unlike Tesla with their proprietary connector. Kia is utilizing an 800v architecture whereas Tesla is stuck on 400v, meaning the EV6 or Ioniq can go from 10% to 80% in ~15 minutes. You probably wouldn't consider it though, because "Ew it's a Kia..."
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13441.50
      02-06-2023, 10:06 AM   #1214
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Tesla includes a j1772 plug with their cars what do you mean?

It’s also faster to 60.

You can hate tesla all you want, they’re still the leader in ev sales period.
      02-06-2023, 10:15 AM   #1215
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Tesla includes a j1772 plug with their cars what do you mean?

It’s also faster to 60.

You can hate tesla all you want, they’re still the leader in ev sales period.
Tesla chargers DONT utilize J1772, meaning ONLY Teslas can use them. The whole "charging infrastructure" argument is dumb, Tesla doesn't care about advancing EV tech and trying to convert more people over if all they're going to use is proprietary connectors. They care about SALES numbers, pretty easy logic to follow if you have more than 2 brain cells. If they were serious about that, they would've used the standardized plug.

You once again ignored what I said. Hope your shotty build quality treats you well in your Model 3!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 10:18 AM   #1216
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
You're drinking the Tesla kool-aid and suckling on that Elon teet, that's fine.

You also completely ignored what I said. Just because YOU don't think they're a status symbol or luxury doesn't mean jack.

BTW, the KIA EV6 not only charges faster but can also use all chargers that use the STANDARDIZED J1772 plug, unlike Tesla with their proprietary connector. Kia is utilizing an 800v architecture whereas Tesla is stuck on 400v, meaning the EV6 or Ioniq can go from 10% to 80% in ~15 minutes. You probably wouldn't consider it though, because "Ew it's a Kia..."
I pretty much only charge at home and use the 110v super slow charger at that. However I did take a road trip from FL to NC in the model 3 once and have used the occasional supercharger outside of that trip.

That being said everything I have experienced, read and seen from other people online is that the Tesla charging network is vastly superior to what's available for other EVs. Just for starters that J1772 plug is clunky as fuck. While the Tesla plug may not be "standard" it's a far better user experience. There also isn't a whole bunch of different charge networks for which you need to have accounts for each etc. The integration into the Tesla nav etc is significantly better (from what I've read). So the Kia could probably charge faster in an ideal world with max charger output etc. I'm not sure that if my main concern with an EV purchase was being able to charge quickly on the road that I would consider anything other than a Tesla.

As I personally don't really care about that I would certainly consider the Kia or the new Hyundais, but I would care more about total range than charging capabilities. I also like many of the features of the Tesla (which may or may not be available in others) like using the phone as the key, the phone app to control AC etc. I saw a video of some EV, can't remember which, where they had to push the "ignition" button to start it. Why?
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2023, 10:18 AM   #1217
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Tesla chargers DONT utilize J1772, meaning ONLY Teslas can use them. The whole "charging infrastructure" argument is dumb, Tesla doesn't care about advancing EV tech and trying to convert more people over if all they're going to use is proprietary connectors. They care about SALES numbers, pretty easy logic to follow if you have more than 2 brain cells. If they were serious about that, they would've used the standardized plug.

You once again ignored what I said. Hope your shotty build quality treats you well in your Model 3!
What are you saying? If I road trip my model 3 and for some odd reason I can’t find a supercharger because they are everywhere, I can go to a standard charging station and use the adapter Tesla provides.

Whereas if you took your ev6 you can’t use the tesla supercharger network. At least not yet I don’t think. Maybe Elon will be kind enough to allow non teslas use his network somehow.

I didn’t ignore what you said, I already shitted on it.

Tesla is the leader in ev period. Best performance, range and network for its price period.

Have fun.
      02-06-2023, 10:35 AM   #1218
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/lat...ther-brand-evs

In the UK...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 10:47 AM   #1219
991C2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, Porsche 911, VW GTI

I hate EVs. They are BORING!
Yup, they're VERY quick in a straight line, but after that trick - what then?

No engine sound
No shifting
No rev matching
No skill needed

Right now, I want nothing to do with them. I had my Porsche in for service and they inadvertently turned off the sound for the speakers. It took me two months to realize it since I never use the radio. I listen to flat-6, twin-turbo bliss.

The driver interaction is what I'm looking for and EVs are the exact opposite. I had someone argue that it's the "latest technology so it's the best." I said so once auto-driving is the latest and greatest technology you'll be buying on of those since it's the best.

A neighbor of mine has had four Tesla's over the years. He's had quite a few issues with them (yes, real world issues with build quality).
Instead of the pie-in-the-sky nit-whit wanting to colonize Mars, he should actually build the best cars he can build and save the Earth we live on. He's spending billions of dollars to go to Mars. What a waste.

It's funny how this thread has turned into who can charge quicker. There's a long way to go with this technology. Pick-up trucks getting 100 miles when towing or an electric RV that only goes 100 miles is NOT the answer.

Hydrogen anyone?
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2023, 11:00 AM   #1220
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Let me ask you a question. Does it bother you that the reason you are right in your statement is because it’s being forced through law and not through normal consumer demand?
No, because I am fully aware that these EV rules are going to shift to the whims of the government in power, economic conditions, infrastructure conditions, material availability. When has any modern government actually deliver their promises on time, well maybe other than raising taxes, they are always on the ball on those.

Also, pivoting over is just a matter of looking for a car when the conditions meet our needs. Currently I do not see it.

Quote:
Let’s be honest, that’s still 7-12 years away, my kid will be leaving high school then, I am just not convinced yet on a user level. I am in no rush to jump in on technology that is simply, still got many iterations to go before it is anywhere near its peak.

Again, with the 2030-2035, I’ll believe it when it is far closer to the date. It’s just buying a car when the time is right and it meets my needs. None of the current crop of offerings meets both mine and the wife's list.

Of course, that's my take, it works for you then more power to you.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2023, 11:01 AM   #1221
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

I’m speechless. Your blissful ignorance continues to astound.
Appreciate 6
MmmmmM22588.50
Conissah1576.00
lakefront560.50
kyriian883.50
      02-06-2023, 11:27 AM   #1222
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
No, because I am fully aware that these EV rules are going to shift to the whims of the government in power, economic conditions, infrastructure conditions, material availability. When has any modern government actually deliver their promises on time, well maybe other than raising taxes, they are always on the ball on those.

Also, pivoting over is just a matter of looking for a car when the conditions meet our needs. Currently I do not see it.

Let’s be honest, that’s still 7-12 years away, my kid will be leaving high school then, I am just not convinced yet on a user level. I am in no rush to jump in on technology that is simply, still got many iterations to go before it is anywhere near its peak.

Again, with the 2030-2035, I’ll believe it when it is far closer to the date. It’s just buying a car when the time is right and it meets my needs. None of the current crop of offerings meets both mine and the wife's list.

Of course, that's my take, it works for you then more power to you.

With more people buying ev’s, it surely is working for a lot than people want to believe.

Mass adaptation is not far away.

It’s very easy to say a certain technology won’t work in present time.

That is why I always say let’s monitor these discussions in 1 or 2 year increments. So people can see it advancing from the last time they were arguing it won’t work.

Same concept here. You guys don’t think it’ll work or it’s stupid etc is fine.

We’ll see how that looks in a couple of years.
      02-06-2023, 11:28 AM   #1223
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
That’s why elon is the man lol
      02-06-2023, 06:49 PM   #1224
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Yeah, as long as we have child slave labor mining cobalt, EVs will work out fine.
Utter hypocrisy.
      02-07-2023, 06:59 AM   #1225
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
What are you saying? If I road trip my model 3 and for some odd reason I can’t find a supercharger because they are everywhere, I can go to a standard charging station and use the adapter Tesla provides.

Whereas if you took your ev6 you can’t use the tesla supercharger network. At least not yet I don’t think. Maybe Elon will be kind enough to allow non teslas use his network somehow.

I didn’t ignore what you said, I already shitted on it.

Tesla is the leader in ev period. Best performance, range and network for its price period.

Have fun.
Two questions.

How % of your portfolio is in TSLA?

Do you jerk off to Tesla or have you?
Appreciate 1
Conissah1576.00
      02-07-2023, 07:04 AM   #1226
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Two questions.

How % of your portfolio is in TSLA?

Do you jerk off to Tesla or have you?
2 questions.

Where am I wrong in anything I’m saying regarding tesla being the number one ev car maker?

I sure do jerk off to my tesla because it’s a superior ev brand. Do you jerk off to Elon? Pretty sure you dream about his nut all over your face.
      02-07-2023, 07:26 AM   #1227
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
2 questions.

Where am I wrong in anything I’m saying regarding tesla being the number one ev car maker?

I sure do jerk off to my tesla because it’s a superior ev brand. Do you jerk off to Elon? Pretty sure you dream about his nut all over your face.

1. I mean you seem very confident about whats happening in 10 years that you are "shitting" on everyone here. so I bet 100% of your portfolio is in tesla becauce your thinking is so absolute. most people talk shit, but where their money is really speaks volumes to what they think.

2. nice, i def yank to my m3.
Appreciate 2
Patton2502938.00
      02-07-2023, 08:12 AM   #1228
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
1. I mean you seem very confident about whats happening in 10 years that you are "shitting" on everyone here. so I bet 100% of your portfolio is in tesla becauce your thinking is so absolute. most people talk shit, but where their money is really speaks volumes to what they think.

2. nice, i def yank to my m3.

I’m judging past advances towards what we’re seeing now.

This is accelerating much faster as each year that passes.

I’m ok with this happening doesn’t mean I wish ice dies tomorrow.

I’m just saying everyone who’s fucking bitching is doing that for nothing because this is happening regardless.
      02-07-2023, 08:16 AM   #1229
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I’m judging past advances towards what we’re seeing now.

This is accelerating much faster as each year that passes.

I’m ok with this happening doesn’t mean I wish ice dies tomorrow.

I’m just saying everyone who’s fucking bitching is doing that for nothing because this is happening regardless.
fair enough, as long as the government doesn't tell me what to do then fuck it. I could give a fly fuck.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick59634.50
Patton2502938.00
MmmmmM22588.50
      02-07-2023, 08:47 AM   #1230
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

There is a shortage of electronic chips and prices are through the roof, this is because of EV's and automation requiring more chips causing further strain on an already overstretched industry that's short of raw materials.
I was talking with a guy in Europe who's business depends on chip supply for his electronic products and the chip factories are asking ridiculous prices which is driving him out of business.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 08:48 AM   #1231
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
fair enough, as long as the government doesn't tell me what to do then fuck it. I could give a fly fuck.
But that’s exactly what they are doing, and he doesn’t care. In fact, I think he’s kind of excited about it. None of this will be taking place without governments throughout the world ordering it to happen.

No, that doesn’t take away from the idea of having electric vehicles as an option being very cool. I think it’s a great idea so long as capitalism dictates what gets sold and not government picking winners and losers. If EV does take over ice it’s not doing so because of consumer interest, it’s only doing so because of favoritism on the part of government(s). Once again, he’s OK with that as our millions of other people. I am not. I believe you’re not either.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
lakefront560.50
      02-07-2023, 08:58 AM   #1232
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly.

Basically what I gathered is people hate tesla, not entirely so much ev as a whole.

I got my Tesla because it’s THE BEST EV you can buy period.

If the car wasn’t good and say Dodge came out with one just like it regarding power, range and network for the same price point as tesla I would get that. I’m not brand loyal. I get whatever is the best bang for buck. Tesla is that.