New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-14-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Suggestion for government traffic designers

Right now, driver manuals say stay to the right or move to the right until you are moving with the pace of traffic or can't move any further right. This was great advice 50 years ago.

Alas, today it is ignored and it seems to me that the slowest drivers drive in the left lane, the next slowest in the middle lane and the fastest in the right lane (because that is the only lane that is moving okay).

So my suggestion is that the government should instead say that one should drive in the left lane and move to the left unless one is moving at the pace of traffic or one can't move any further left.

I believe that as a result of this revised instruction, slow drivers will move to the right and fast drivers can then pass on the left!
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      06-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #2
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

You can't put the fastest traffic right by rule because it would generally create more hazards. They should just more thoroughly enforce the passing laws which they do in some parts of the country.

I exercise strict lane discipline when I can. I'm always in the right lane unless passing. About the only time I'll ride in the left lane is if it's backed up behind two or more cars not advancing on each other and I'm waiting for one to clear.

Unfortunately, my sister is a left lane hog. After years of trying discussions aimed to change her behavior I've distilled her logic down to two reasons she persist in sitting in the passing lane.

1. The right lane has to many cars coming on and off the highway. She finds this distracting and scary so she prefers to stay in the lane farthest from merging traffic.

2. She doesn't go slower than the speed limit, if anything she's five or more mph over the limit and nobody should be driving faster than that anyways.

So, I'm guessing this is what's going on with most people riding in the passing lane.
      06-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #3
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Right now, driver manuals say stay to the right or move to the right until you are moving with the pace of traffic or can't move any further right. This was great advice 50 years ago.
It would still work today if we all weren't self-absorbed sociopaths and had better situational awareness. I blame the internet (mostly).
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

guys...my rant is not intended to be taken seriously. It just frustrates me that I see this time and time again and no one (e.g. the cops) ever does anything about it. Speed may kill but the constant weaving in and out of lanes that cars do because of this behavior causes more accidents.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
You can't put the fastest traffic right by rule because it would generally create more hazards. They should just more thoroughly enforce the passing laws which they do in some parts of the country.

I exercise strict lane discipline when I can. I'm always in the right lane unless passing. About the only time I'll ride in the left lane is if it's backed up behind two or more cars not advancing on each other and I'm waiting for one to clear.

Unfortunately, my sister is a left lane hog. After years of trying discussions aimed to change her behavior I've distilled her logic down to two reasons she persist in sitting in the passing lane.

1. The right lane has to many cars coming on and off the highway. She finds this distracting and scary so she prefers to stay in the lane farthest from merging traffic.

2. She doesn't go slower than the speed limit, if anything she's five or more mph over the limit and nobody should be driving faster than that anyways.

So, I'm guessing this is what's going on with most people riding in the passing lane.
Your reason #2 is the primary cause for selfish left lane hogs. People feel entitled to drive how they see fit and expect anyone else to fall in line and agree with it. I'm going fast enough, why should I move over? Ugh…

As someone who firmly follows the rules of the fast/slow lanes I am always the first one to move over if someone is coming up fast behind me. I'm usually doing well in excess of the speed limit myself but that is irrelevant. It's all about faster traffic, regardless of speed. Plenty of times I'm cruising at 85-90 and someone comes up behind me wanting to go faster. I just move over and let them pass. Why wouldn't I? Can't stand people who refuse to move over. They usually give you the stink eye when you pass them too as if you are the one doing something wrong.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15515.00