New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #89
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercompletion View Post
That price point is WILD, wow.

I'm very skeptical the 60k model is doing 3 sec 0-60 though
According to GM you have to add the Z51 Performance Package to it. I can't seem to find pricing, but some have speculated it will be a $10k option bring the total close to $70k.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...-corvette.html

Quote:
The fastest 0-60 time of any entry Corvette ever — under three seconds when equipped with Z51 Performance Package.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #90
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Really, the interior is that much of consideration? If the interior takes away from being able to drive the car to its potential is one thing, but for Chevrolet to produce a mid-engine'd sports car with the level of performance advertised at a $70,000 price point I'd think you'd have to overlook what will probably be minor interior issues.

I was considering a 2008 Cayman 5 years ago before I bought my Z4. The interior was nothing to write home about. Laid out decently for driving, but the design and build quality was average for the original MSRP price point. It wouldn't have kept me from buying the car.
Yes. You spend your entire time inside the car so if the interior is not nice, its a problem to me. Looks like the C7 took care of a lot of the concerns I had with the interior. Cant wait to see this car!

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #91
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Yes. You spend your entire time inside the car so if the interior is not nice, its a problem to me. Looks like the C7 took care of a lot of the concerns I had with the interior. Cant wait to see this car!
Looks like they took note of people still complaining about interior fit/finish.

Going over some closeup shots of interior bits, it looks high quality. Lots of leather, alcantara, deviated stitching, aluminum, carbon fiber.

Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      07-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #92
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
Stretching pretty far to compare this to the Fiero in any way shape or fashion beside sit being made by GM and being a midengined 2 seater.
My point is GM hasn't been able to pull off the mid/rear engine combo effectively or reliably (Fiero, Covair). I'm hopeful that they've taken this endeavor way more seriously; it appears that they have. We'll see how it fairs after a full year on the market in terms of reliability. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a 1st year C8, probably not even a 2nd year.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this car will kick total ass and I'm extremely thrilled that they kept it a simple NA pushrod V8 and didn't go with turbos and the like. I'm sure this car will look amazing in person, especially with the right wheels, no wing, and the right color.
      07-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #93
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
According to GM you have to add the Z51 Performance Package to it. I can't seem to find pricing, but some have speculated it will be a $10k option bring the total close to $70k.
Current Z51 package is $5k with dry sump. Dry sump is now standard. So I wouldn't bet on it being $10k. A 1LT Z51 could end up being mid $60k.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #94
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
My point is GM hasn't been able to pull off the mid/rear engine combo effectively or reliably (Fiero, Covair). I'm hopeful that they've taken this endeavor way more seriously; it appears that they have. We'll see how it fairs after a full year on the market in terms of reliability. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a 1st year C8, probably not even a 2nd year.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this car will kick total ass and I'm extremely thrilled that they kept it a simple NA pushrod V8 and didn't go with turbos and the like. I'm sure this car will look amazing in person, especially with the right wheels, no wing, and the right color.
I don't really see your point as neither of those cars had close to the money, risk to the company, or engineering prowess behind them but anyway...the Z06 will be a DOHC twin turbo.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #95
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post

I don't really see your point as neither of those cars had close to the money, risk to the company, or engineering prowess behind them but anyway...the Z06 will be a DOHC twin turbo.
The Z06 usually has a breathed on version of the base engine, but ZR1 goodies in chassis and brakes... doesn't it? Maybe that's the GS. 🧐 I think the ZR1 will probably be a supercharged v8 like it is now. We will see!
      07-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #96
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I hear what you're saying but the price delta between a 911 with similar performance might make the interior quality less important.
I dont disagree with that. And it seems they have improved the interior since the c6 which was atrocious.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #97
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

I understand some of the skepticism but this car met every deadline and had zero funding issues through procurement, r&d, fabrication. The chance of this car not being a show-stopper on the track and on the road is slim to none.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #98
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The Z06 usually has a breathed on version of the base engine, but ZR1 goodies in chassis and brakes... doesn't it? Maybe that's the GS. �� I think the ZR1 will probably be a supercharged v8 like it is now. We will see!
Yeah, I am starting to think that is still a possibility. Few weeks ago everyone thought the CT5-V Blackwing(or whatever they will call it) would have twin turbo V8. Apparently Jonny Libermann from Motor Trend says it is getting 6.2L Supercharged V8, not the Blackwing motor. I could see C8 Z06 getting 6.2L supercharged V8, C8 ZR1(Zora) getting twin turbos and/or hybrid powertrain. I think the C8.R GTE release will be telling, whether that car has turbos or not.

Some variant is getting twin turbos.

Last edited by hellrotm; 07-19-2019 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #99
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

any info on the steering hydr vs elec?

if this thing is reliable it will shit all over market both used and new
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #100
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Same here. I planned on moving to the C7 next as I always buy a generation behind......but a 2LT,3LT , Z-51 Optioned C8 is looking very tempting right now!
Sure is. I paid about 50k for my Z51 over ten years ago. Vastly superior engineering, a decade later, for a brand new car with warranty, they’re going to sell all they can make I think.
I do have a lot of extras in my C6 and make a good deal more hp so maybe I’ll hold out for the Z06 when it comes out in a year or two, if Chevy follows their recent release times.
First year buyers will be paying a premium on these cars. My brother paid a good deal over list for his 05, I won’t do that. But if one turns up at list I just might jump. Wish it came in at a higher price, this is a real dilemma.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      07-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #101
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

I like the cockpit design... but no oral sex on long drives because the passenger couldn't get over that wall!

Appreciate 2
NYG10568.50
SD ///M42989.50
      07-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #102
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Sure is. I paid about 50k for my Z51 over ten years ago. Vastly superior engineering, a decade later, for a brand new car with warranty, they’re going to sell all they can make I think.
I do have a lot of extras in my C6 and make a good deal more hp so maybe I’ll hold out for the Z06 when it comes out in a year or two, if Chevy follows their recent release times.
First year buyers will be paying a premium on these cars. My brother paid a good deal over list for his 05, I won’t do that. But if one turns up at list I just might jump. Wish it came in at a higher price, this is a real dilemma.
One thing is for sure, C7 should be on fire sale soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #103
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
I'll take one in orange w/red interior. If this drives down C7Z prices by a lot, I might have to go that route vs a classic car once my C5 is sold. FYI, my 623 WHP C5 w/25k miles is for sale, folks!!!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      07-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #104
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
I like the cockpit design... but no oral sex on long drives because the passenger couldn't get over that wall!

Darn. Deal breaker..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #105
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
any info on the steering hydr vs elec?

if this thing is reliable it will shit all over market both used and new
It's a Corvette, of course it will be reliable.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      07-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #106
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Chevy Corvette C8 Carries Over Just One Piece From C7

Still amazed by the msrp.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #107
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Car&Driver just tested the new 992 Carrera S. It did 0-60 in 3 sec. But the as tested price of the car was $150,950. That is insane, not even a GTS model...let alone a GT model.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #108
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
One thing is for sure, C7 should be on fire sale soon.
I just got back from my local Chevy dealer to have them reprogram one of C6 fobs and they had a pair of C7’s in the showroom and thought the same thing.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      07-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #109
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
They mentioned last night that the cockpit is a little bigger. The guy said an inch more leg room.
My buddy who's 6' 4" about 260 fits comfortably in my C6. He liked driving it so much he made me an offer to buy it.

The new Corvette is going to have some marque makers lose sleep. I love my Vette but this one very well might persuade me to put one in the garage. I impatiently await reviews and track times.
Since I took a friend for a ride in my SS 1LE, he wanted to take me for a ride in his C6 corvette. It was the very first year for that corvette and I swear it underwent some kind of re-design part-way through that model, because this one just looked so basic and plastic inside. I'm only 5'11" and it felt like there was no way someone a couple inches taller would fit. I really felt like I was way too large for the car and my head would be jammed against the top. It's amazing to see just how far beyond this car even the C7s are.

I will say that from this C6 to C7, there's no comparison for interior. This C7 I took pictures of at the dealer goes up against anything else IMO. A lot of people are biased and think certain interiors are better when really, there's nothing significantly different or the "more expensive" one uses just as much plastic and fake features. I'd have a hard time living with that C6 interior, but this C7, my 2SS 1LE, no problem.

In these days, I think the perceptions are more of a problem, rather than the actual "interior".
AGREED!!

My 2 SS 1LE is actually quieter with less rattles than my M3 had. GM is not what is was regarding interior.

It's more perception rather than fact.

Similar to how most uneducated buyers still buy into "The Ultimate Driving Machine " marketing slogan of the M3/4, which it is clearly not anymore.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #110
BigNorm4Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Ford Fusion SE Ecoboost

Ford is no doubt probably sweating about their GT500 price point... a lot of automakers and their engineers are probably saying WTF!
Appreciate 0