New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #23
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Looking into Intercity lines. May be worth it for the extra money to make sure everything is safe. I just need to make sure I can get somebody to come the 20th or 21st of July...
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #24
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Intercity wanted over $2k. There are good open carrier options for 1k-1300 and I think that might be the better route. I'm sure intercity is top notch, but my M3 isn't an exotic... As long as the carrier has insurance, I'm not really worried
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #25
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Intercity wanted over $2k. There are good open carrier options for 1k-1300 and I think that might be the better route. I'm sure intercity is top notch, but my M3 isn't an exotic... As long as the carrier has insurance, I'm not really worried
Try Uship, it provides a list of shippers and quotes. All the different shippers will have numerous reviews and listing of their insurance. You can also try DAS shipping. You are probably looking at a minimum $1200.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #26
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
I went with PDQ. $1200, $200 charged to card after pickup, $1000 to driver on delivery in cash/cashiers check.

They have an A+ rating from the BBB and all 5* reviews online. Plus they could guarantee the pick up day that I needed.

I'll update the thread once I have the car back in LA to let everyone know how it went!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #27
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gama7453 View Post
In my experience the best on the business are Intercity Lines, they only use closed carriers but of course is a lot more that 900. I just ship my M4 from LA to Atlanta for 1850.
Shipped multiple Porsche's using Intercity Lines, no problems. Had issues with open trans using other carriers. Just hope that your car is not beneath a car that is leaking fluids..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 05:37 AM   #28
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Quote:
Appreciate the humor... but this is pretty time sensitive as I'll only be in Baltimore from July 17-22 and if I don't get my car shipped to LA at that time, I'll need to book another flight to Baltimore and back just to ship the car..

Law School and Job plans in DC both fell through in the same week, so moving back to sunny Los Angeles for a year at least.

Bummer dude, sorry to see a F80 enthusiast leaving the DMV.

You won't be able to wash her as much as you did in LA
      07-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #29
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude
Quote:
Appreciate the humor... but this is pretty time sensitive as I'll only be in Baltimore from July 17-22 and if I don't get my car shipped to LA at that time, I'll need to book another flight to Baltimore and back just to ship the car..

Law School and Job plans in DC both fell through in the same week, so moving back to sunny Los Angeles for a year at least.

Bummer dude, sorry to see a F80 enthusiast leaving the DMV.

You won't be able to wash her as much as you did in LA
I might be back in a year! I do want to be back on the east coast eventually!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #30
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Auto Shipping companies

I will be moving from east coast to west coast and researching shipping vs selling/buying option.

My best option is to find cheap reliable company. I don't care if it is enclosed or open carrier as long as they don't have reputation of damaging cars while being transported. However, I know shipping from east to west is not going to be cheap.

Would anyone who have dealt with shipping companies before let me know what companies they have used?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #31
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Shipping something as expensive and delicate as your M3 is not something I would look at from a "what's cheapest" perspective. You want to ensure that your investment arrives safely and soundly at the destination with no hassles. I would contact JP Logistics & Motorsports. They are trusted to handle and transport some of the most expensive cars known to man. I know for a fact they would take perfect and meticulous care of transporting your M3 across the country.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #32
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E View Post
Shipping something as expensive and delicate as your M3 is not something I would look at from a "what's cheapest" perspective. You want to ensure that your investment arrives safely and soundly at the destination with no hassles. I would contact JP Logistics & Motorsports. They are trusted to handle and transport some of the most expensive cars known to man. I know for a fact they would take perfect and meticulous care of transporting your M3 across the country.
I appreciate your opinion M3Rage. As much as I know M3 is expensive car to others, for me it is normal fun car that I like to drive. I also wouldn't also consider it an investment as it is a depreciating asset.

By all means I am not saying I will through my car anywhere for cheapest option, but in same time I am not looking to invest in 2k or even 1.5K for shipping a car. I would like something reasonable
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #33
dragonsi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Go to www.montway.com and you can get a shipping quote right away online without needing to talk to anyone. I've probably shipped about 5 cars or so now through them and have always had a decent experience. Keep in mind they are a freight forwarder, so they will contract your job with one of their contacts.

The prices are really reasonable based on the research I had done, if you are looking to find something more inexpensive then I would say try uship.com.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #34
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

As of last Saturday I have finished up a third shipping experience with Bluestar Automovers.
All of the jobs have been flawless and on time, with good contact with the drivers. Rates have always been competitive.

http://www.bluestarautomovers.com/
1-877-445-2583
Yosi is the setup person I've always used.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #35
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

Buy me a one way plane ticket home and I'll gladly drive your car cross country
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #36
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Intercity Lines, Reliable Auto Transport, and JP Logistics are the most consistently recommended in the MANY threads that already exist on this subject and that would have turned up had you Googled "auto shipping site:m3post.com" or similar.

And yes, JP Logistics handled shipping for the most recent Gold Rush Rally on the leg of the trip that the participants took by plane. I watched them unload Aventadors, Veyrons, etc.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #37
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Intercity Lines, Reliable Auto Transport, and JP Logistics are the most consistently recommended in the MANY threads that already exist on this subject and that would have turned up had you Googled "auto shipping site:m3post.com" or similar.

And yes, JP Logistics handled shipping for the most recent Gold Rush Rally on the leg of the trip that the participants took by plane. I watched them unload Aventadors, Veyrons, etc.
Yes, I've seen these threads and I agree that they are the most recommended here. But they are not cost effective for me. If I will pay 2k for shipping it, I am better off selling it and buying another one when I settle down
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 11:02 AM   #38
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65-M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post

Yes, I've seen these threads and I agree that they are the most recommended here. But they are not cost effective for me. If I will pay 2k for shipping it, I am better off selling it and buying another one when I settle down
If $2K isn't cost-effective for you, then you're probably better off driving or else paying someone else to do so. The less reputable shipping companies subcontract out to God knows who and then it can become difficult to track your car, find out what's going on if they're late on pickup or delivery, or make a claim if there's an incident. But there's no logic whatsoever in your idea of selling locally and buying another one when you get where you're going. You're very unlikely to find the exact car you want if you're on any kind of timeframe, and even if you did, the chances of your total cost on that whole exercise being less than the marginal cost of a better shipping company are zero. Sales tax alone will likely be more than that assuming you're going somewhere that has it, and then there's PPI and registration costs and whatever maintenance might happen to be due on the next car. Unless of course you buy a lesser valued M3 the next time around.

But that said, if an extra $1K or so over what you would be willing to pay for shipping is a dealbreaker, make sure you never own an M3 out of warranty. And probably keep a close eye on your tire tread depth and rotor thickness so you can plan way ahead for those too....

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 12-09-2015 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #39
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9uwu View Post
Buy me a one way plane ticket home and I'll gladly drive your car cross country
This. Just look up how much a one way flight ticket would cost you. I would buy a ticket and drive the car myself. The country can be crossed in 3 days stopping at hotels.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #40
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S65-M3 View Post
I appreciate your opinion M3Rage. As much as I know M3 is expensive car to others, for me it is normal fun car that I like to drive. I also wouldn't also consider it an investment as it is a depreciating asset.

By all means I am not saying I will through my car anywhere for cheapest option, but in same time I am not looking to invest in 2k or even 1.5K for shipping a car. I would like something reasonable
I am not talking about the M3 as a typical investment that will yield you any sort of monetary profits. It was more along the lines of investing to have one of the best driving experiences out there for the money. If you aren't willing to spend around 2k for shipping then you are in for a world of trouble should there be an issue with a "cheaper" company. The reason JP Logistics is priced the way it is is because they own their own transportation fleet. They give you the white glove treatment when it comes to caring for and transporting your car meticulously. Cheaper options subcontract out to some of the most dodgy and unreliable companies to transport your car. They won't treat your car with care or respect and you will be stuck on the other end of the country not knowing where your car is, what condition it is in, and how it is being treated.

If you really are that concerned about spending 2K and you don't much care for keeping your car due to the particular specs it has, just sell it off and get a different one at your destination.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #41
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S65-M3 View Post
I will be moving from east coast to west coast and researching shipping vs selling/buying option.

My best option is to find cheap reliable company. I don't care if it is enclosed or open carrier as long as they don't have reputation of damaging cars while being transported. However, I know shipping from east to west is not going to be cheap.

Would anyone who have dealt with shipping companies before let me know what companies they have used?

Thanks
United Road Transport- special moves department... They are already a BMW certified carrier and they have the appropiate tie downs and hooks that are required by BMW manufacturing... Enclosed as well... Get ready to spend at least $1200 for coast to coast at a minimum and up to $2k...

If it were me, I'd drive the car or pay someone to drive it! Cheaper and safer... Good conditioning for the engine as well...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #42
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3,E36M3,957GTS,E39M5S2

Bought and shipped an E36 M3 from Cali to Ohio for $750 with Quicken Auto Transport, PM for contact if you want. Also shipped one of my employees cars to San Antonio for $700 and shipped an E30 track project from AL to OH for $600. All without any issues. From my experience don't use an online broker, you will get harassed for months!
      12-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #43
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x View Post
United Road Transport- special moves department... They are already a BMW certified carrier and they have the appropiate tie downs and hooks that are required by BMW manufacturing... Enclosed as well... Get ready to spend at least $1200 for coast to coast at a minimum and up to $2k...

If it were me, I'd drive the car or pay someone to drive it! Cheaper and safer... Good conditioning for the engine as well...
How long does it take to drive from east to west considering I would drive only 10 to 12hrs a day?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 12:02 AM   #44
Efini
Silent Service
Rep

I am having a car shipped as we speak. i used uship and ended up going with montway. should be receiving the car by next tuesday. they were early on pickup and have been communicating with me very well. definitely check out montway.
Appreciate 0