New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #23
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Having spent some time in my buddies brand new Denali XL (with 8spd tranny) as passenger and driver and also being in the market for a new XC90 for the wife I can tell you it's no comparison between the XC90 and the Denali XL. While fit and finish is a bit improved in the GM SUVs it's still light years away from European offerings. Not to mention a Denali XL is way more expensive than a comparably equipped XC90 and completely not worth it in my opinion. Not a couple grand but like $25k more than a decently loaded XC90. My buddy also had to have the 8spd tranny replaced within 4 months of owning the truck. Yeah it happens but still leaves a bad taste. If the extra cubic feet is mandatory then there really is no way to get around a Yukon.

I've been driving full size SUVs for the past 15 years and have owned both Tahoes and Yukons and once we went European I could never ever go back unless GM makes a massive change.

The current full size SUV in our garage is a Land Cruiser. If you want a top shelf offering the Toyota Land Cruiser is one of the best in my mind. I've been in 15 year old land cruisers that had 200k+ miles on them and they feel tighter than brand new Yukons.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #24
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Having spent some time in my buddies brand new Denali XL (with 8spd tranny) as passenger and driver and also being in the market for a new XC90 for the wife I can tell you it's no comparison between the XC90 and the Denali XL. While fit and finish is a bit improved in the GM SUVs it's still light years away from European offerings. Not to mention a Denali XL is way more expensive than a comparably equipped XC90 and completely not worth it in my opinion. Not a couple grand but like $25k more than a decently loaded XC90. My buddy also had to have the 8spd tranny replaced within 4 months of owning the truck. Yeah it happens but still leaves a bad taste. If the extra cubic feet is mandatory then there really is no way to get around a Yukon.

I've been driving full size SUVs for the past 15 years and have owned both Tahoes and Yukons and once we went European I could never ever go back unless GM makes a massive change.

The current full size SUV in our garage is a Land Cruiser. If you want a top shelf offering the Toyota Land Cruiser is one of the best in my mind. I've been in 15 year old land cruisers that had 200k+ miles on them and they feel tighter than brand new Yukons.
The Chinese spent $11Bn developing the XC90. For that money the thing better be damn nice, which it seems to be.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #25
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Interesting that the XC90 is using a composite, transverse leaf spring rear, just like the Corvette.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #26
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

I personally think the new GM SUV's feel cheap and flimsy. I wouldn't buy one with my money. Also, the biggest difference you're going to get with the Denali is the 6.2 and 8AT rather than 5.3 with the 6AT.

I'd definitely recommend going the Volvo or Audi route.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #27
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
It's true, the GM products just dominate the space segment. Same with the Ford Excursion. Both the American products have the option for second row captain chairs which mean you can pass through the middle to the back seats. SO MUCH easier for the big family rather than passing through like in the Volvo or Q7.

Quality, interior and driving feel will go to the Q7 and Volvo. The Q7 will have a better handling/driving feel IMHO.

The tech on the American will be nearly as good as the Europeans but with less cost and flash. Truly a utilitarian product that will serve you well.
Yeah the second row captains chairs are really nice on the family side of things. I guess this is my principal dilemma, I really want the XC90 but the added space of the big GM machines would be really nice. I think I need to test drive the XC90 and see if I can fit my big ass 2 kid stroller set up in while leaving one of the 3rd row seats up.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #28
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post

This. I can't stress this enough. The Land Cruiser is such a fantastic and overlooked option.

And you are absolutely right, a 200K example will drive better than a new GM Tahoe or Yukon. No joke. Same thing with a Sequoia, really.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #29
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Yeah the second row captains chairs are really nice on the family side of things. I guess this is my principal dilemma, I really want the XC90 but the added space of the big GM machines would be really nice. I think I need to test drive the XC90 and see if I can fit my big ass 2 kid stroller set up in while leaving one of the 3rd row seats up.
Not sure it's a direct comp, but we fit 2 one-kid strollers in the XC60 for my niece and nephew without too much trouble. I'd have to imagine you'd be OK with the XC90.

A few weeks ago I may have stopped at the Audi dealer to test fit my dog's car seat in the back of a TTS. Got some interesting looks at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #30
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Actually, very conveniently Car & Driver just posted SUV comparison test - XC90 vs. X5 vs. Q7 vs. RR sport, guess who got last:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #31
Kidscollege$
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW M4

Garage List
2016 Toyota  [0.00]
2016 Lexus RX350  [0.00]
2015 BMW/M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
It's true, the GM products just dominate the space segment. Same with the Ford Excursion. Both the American products have the option for second row captain chairs which mean you can pass through the middle to the back seats. SO MUCH easier for the big family rather than passing through like in the Volvo or Q7.

Quality, interior and driving feel will go to the Q7 and Volvo. The Q7 will have a better handling/driving feel IMHO.

The tech on the American will be nearly as good as the Europeans but with less cost and flash. Truly a utilitarian product that will serve you well.
Second row captains are fine if you have only 2 kids. We have 3 and when we go on long trips we generally have back end full of luggage and crap. Plus when they are young it can be a pain in the ass getting them in the third row if you have 3 or more kids.
Appreciate 1