New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-09-2022, 08:10 AM   #23
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Now this I would go for. I'm not putting one of those OBD-II readers in my car.
Those stupid thing are so sensitive. You have to drive insanely gentle not to get 'points' To the actual point that people driving around the limits of one would be a hazard on the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 09:41 AM   #24
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
There's something called defensive driving, which would be further taught (and tested) on the add-on course for the license.

Just like how the autobahn works with high beams, and how people are going 300kph on the left lane, but instead of ridiculous speeds, you're talking maybe up to 150mph if possible.
You can already sign up for defensive driving courses. Hell that's almost all the MSF courses are.

People don't have the discipline here.

Not to mention, how does the person taking defensive driving for this license help when people don't have lane discipline and just pull over in front of you doing 70 mph slower because they didn't see you.

If you want to drive fast, go to a track day.

I mean, shit there are tons of guys on here with multiple exotics, go race in the MX5 cup series or something.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 09:52 AM   #25
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:

Not to mention, how does the person taking defensive driving for this license help when people don't have lane discipline and just pull over in front of you doing 70 mph slower because they didn't see you.
If you're driving fast, you can tell when someone is about to pull in front of your lane, I've seen it, and I've avoided accidents. This is what defensive driving is about, you're constantly looking at your mirrors, and the cars to your right and left.

This is already the difference between someone who has taken the course and has not, go take the course yourself and you'll see what they teach you.
      09-12-2022, 10:41 AM   #26
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Quote:

If you're driving fast, you can tell when someone is about to pull in front of your lane, I've seen it, and I've avoided accidents. This is what defensive driving is about, you're constantly looking at your mirrors, and the cars to your right and left.

This is already the difference between someone who has taken the course and has not, go take the course yourself and you'll see what they teach you.
That course won't matter when some fucking douche nozzle is taking selfies or posting on face book and plows into you or blows a stop sign. Sorry bro, no training is going to avoid that type of shit. Which seems to be most accidents these days. It sucks. That's why I will never own another street bike. These phones are the worst fucking things ever. Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #27
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:

I've taken defensive driving, I've taken the MSF course, I've taken the HPDE courses from Hallett and NASA, done track days on sport bikes and in multiple cars.

There is no reason you need to be going 150 on the highway. People always bring up Germany.

1. Their roads are built to a FAR higher standard than ours. Not only the quality, but also the unlimited sections don't have on/off ramps every 3/4 of mile like you see here.
2. EVERYONE there that's gets a drivers license goes through MUCH more strict driver training. And they take it seriously, where the average Amerian driver won't even use their signal or stay out of the fast lane even though they are going 10 under.

You sound like one of those kids who won't go to the track, because you'll find out your aren't as fast as you think.

Last edited by OkieSnuffBox; 09-12-2022 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet3570.00
KevinGS3359.00
      09-12-2022, 04:29 PM   #28
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I've taken defensive driving, I've taken the MSF course, I've taken the HPDE courses from Hallett and NASA, done track days on sport bikes and in multiple cars.

There is no reason you need to be going 150 on the highway. People always bring up Germany.

1. Their roads are built to a FAR higher standard than ours. Not only the quality, but also the unlimited sections don't have on/off ramps every 3/4 of mile like you see here.
2. EVERYONE there that's gets a drivers license goes through MUCH more strict driver training. And they take it seriously, where the average Amerian driver won't even use their signal or stay out of the fast lane even though they are going 10 under.

You sound like one of those kids who won't go to the track, because you'll find out your aren't as fast as you think.
I go to the track a dozen times a summer which is precisely why I'm advocating for the courses lol

Everyone is so scared of speed, when that's not even the problem.

If there's no reason to go 150 on the highway, why do cars have such a high speed limit in NA?

In Quebec where I used to live, you didn't need a license to go racing on the track, anyone with a car that is in good shape can apply and pay the entrance fee.

Moved to Halifax and was told you needed to get a license to race on the track there, so instead of taking the HPDE course to get one, I just told them I had experience on multiple tracks and they tested me for two days on the track and I passed and got one.
Attached Images

Last edited by lens; 09-12-2022 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 09:55 AM   #29
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Agreed...I'd rather see a car master acceleration to 100, than go faster than 100...IF, it's not my track car. I would say, though, speed is a huge factor in most accidents...it is just the physics of the matter. But I do agree, that speed isn't something to be so afraid of. I am safer at 80 than most at 60 because I pay attention always, and know what to do if something is going wrong. That's what, IMO, most don't have...knowledge and attention span to drive fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 01:04 PM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Why? An increased speed limit just means it's more likely that will someone will pull out in front of you or something like that.

Just because you're skilled, doesn't make everyone else on the road more skilled.
Exactly. Speed limits are set for the level of traffic, pedestrians, intersections, sightlines, exits and entries a road has. Speed limits are not a metric for testing suspension performance and tire grip.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 01:07 PM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosoar View Post
Agreed...I'd rather see a car master acceleration to 100, than go faster than 100...IF, it's not my track car. I would say, though, speed is a huge factor in most accidents...it is just the physics of the matter. But I do agree, that speed isn't something to be so afraid of. I am safer at 80 than most at 60 because I pay attention always, and know what to do if something is going wrong. That's what, IMO, most don't have...knowledge and attention span to drive fast.
Better said as "situational awareness". Most bad drivers don't have or have the capability to learn/gain situational awareness.

The best way to teach situational awareness is have each student spend 8 hours as a passenger on a motorcycle with a certified motorcycle instructor at the helm.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 09:42 PM   #32
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

As long as it's not just a way for more free revenue for the gov't...
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 10:13 PM   #33
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

And I should at least get a trophy for not hitting any autocross cones in a Camaro.
      07-11-2023, 08:13 AM   #34
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Yeah sure, get one of those permission slips to drive in "performance" mode and watch your insurance rates

Not sure how such a permission slip would let you break vehicle and traffic laws that are in place for the good of the community.

Lmao!

Besides, in a Parlimentary Monarchy, you're living by permission anyways

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 05:01 PM   #35
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Yeah sure, get one of those permission slips to drive in "performance" mode and watch your insurance rates

Not sure how such a permission slip would let you break vehicle and traffic laws that are in place for the good of the community.

Lmao!

Besides, in a Parlimentary Monarchy, you're living by permission anyways

Good Luck
Easy, my fellow American, I'm part of the same country you are who fought to separate from King George some 248 years ago. Unless, of course, you're responding to some Brit in our midst.

And, the point would be to lower insurance rates due to safer, more capable drivers certified by the state.

But I agree with your intimation that it'll never happen, but a guy can wish.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 07:02 AM   #36
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
A few problems with this. You’re still sharing the road with the luddites and the police would have to enforce two sets of rules which would be more difficult. Not impossible though.
Appreciate 0