New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-24-2022, 11:40 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Did your Z4 driver side windshield wiper come w the wind deflector?

I dunno what it's called exactly but I think that's its function. Always bothered me that my old dealership tech guys probably stole the thing off of mine, and I didn't realize until much much later.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 01:53 AM   #2
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

I think it's called an airfoil.

Bosch 61612151749

Can get them on FCP Euro or elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 01:58 AM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanhoag View Post
I think it's called an airfoil.

Bosch 61612151749

Can get them on FCP Euro or elsewhere.
I googled but it only shows up as a wiper set? If so, it's not what I'm talking about: which is a rectangular piece that attaches to the wiper arm, so it's separate from the wiper blade.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 02:31 AM   #4
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Are you talking about the black piece I've pointed to with the blue arrow? If so, that comes with the Bosch OEM wiper blades. I don't think it can be purchased as a separate part.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:04 AM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanhoag View Post
Are you talking about the black piece I've pointed to with the blue arrow? If so, that comes with the Bosch OEM wiper blades. I don't think it can be purchased as a separate part.
No, it's not part of the wiper blade, it's attached by clipping part to the actual metal wiper arm, from my recollection. So, doesn't matter what blades I replace, I can still retain and use that piece.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:30 AM   #6
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ah okay. Not sure then!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 04:35 AM   #7
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

For some reason i thought that Bosch wipers did not have that airfoil and because of that i have always bought BMW branded OE wiper sets for my Z4.
Now i know better. Next time i will order Bosch.

Also i have never tried detaching that airfoil. Its part of the new wiper set on the original Bmw wipers just like on the Bosch product mentioned.
      07-25-2022, 04:47 AM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Does anyone have a clear pic of that airfoil? Just seems like something in front of the rubber blade part?

Interesting, but we're not talking about the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:08 PM   #9
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
We are talking about the same thing. It is a curved metal airfoil attached to the driver side wiper arm. It is attached with clips and locked in place with a couple screws. So while it could be removed and replaced, I've never known anyone to attempt it.

You can view it at realoem.com https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_1601. It is number '2' in the image. The arm and the airfoil are a single component. You will note that it is grayed out in the image and not listed at the bottom as it is no longer available separately. It is only available as a set (item 8) of both arms (items 2 and 4).

Back when this style arm was the most common, you could buy just the rubber inserts (item 5). They cost about $8 a pair the last time I was able to find them.

If you buy the set from BMW it will be in the $50-60 range (or more). The BMW part is actually made by Bosch and is available online for about half that with Bosch branding instead of BMW branding.

Gerry
      07-25-2022, 03:30 PM   #10
B21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
We are talking about the same thing. It is a curved metal airfoil attached to the driver side wiper arm. It is attached with clips and locked in place with a couple screws. So while it could be removed and replaced, I've never known anyone to attempt it.

You can view it at realoem.com https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_1601. It is number '2' in the image. The arm and the airfoil are a single component. You will note that it is grayed out in the image and not listed at the bottom as it is no longer available separately. It is only available as a set (item 8) of both arms (items 2 and 4).

Back when this style arm was the most common, you could buy just the rubber inserts (item 5). They cost about $8 a pair the last time I was able to find them.

If you buy the set from BMW it will be in the $50-60 range (or more). The BMW part is actually made by Bosch and is available online for about half that with Bosch branding instead of BMW branding.

Gerry
AFAIK although Bosch make many parts for BMW the wiper blades from Bosch are not OE BMW parts with a Bosch label…

I’ve tried the Bosch versions and then fresh BMW ones..whether it’s a placebo but the BMW wiped more clearly , were quieter andlrss judder…

I’ve used many parts that were clearly BMW parts with a deleted BMW logo but I don’t think this is the case on this item…
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 06:35 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

No guys, again, it is NOT the same thing, the thing that got 'stolen' off of mine is not the whole length of the wiper, it's probably 1/3 or 1/4 in length, is rectangular and sits on TOP of the wiper arm. I wish I had relevant photos but unfortunately they are too far away and can't see it at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 09:47 PM   #12
GerryC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
AFAIK although Bosch make many parts for BMW the wiper blades from Bosch are not OE BMW parts with a Bosch label…

I’ve tried the Bosch versions and then fresh BMW ones..whether it’s a placebo but the BMW wiped more clearly , were quieter andlrss judder…

I’ve used many parts that were clearly BMW parts with a deleted BMW logo but I don’t think this is the case on this item…
Bosch is the OE supplier for the wiper arms on the Z4. I'm assuming they are the only one due to the low volume production of the Z4. (I've only found references to Bosch wipers for the Z4 with a single part number.)

You can buy Genuine BMW or Bosch OE and they are the same part with different branding. But you have to be sure you're getting the OE part.

Bosch also makes many other wipers, some of which are designed to fit a range of cars (it broadens the market and reduces Bosch's costs). A few of these may be labeled for and fit the Z4 but they would not be the same as the OE part. Those would be classified as OEM -- manufactured by the OE manufacturer but not the OE part.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between OE and OEM parts. It gets more complicated on models like the 3er and 5er sedans. With their high volume BMW has had multiple OE suppliers for the same part. This can lead to multiple part numbers for essentially the same (interchangeable) part. My last 330i had 3 different suppliers for wipers, Bosch, Valeo, and one other. Usually I just bought whichever one was cheaper at the time. A few times it was the dealer.

I've had good and not so good luck with both Genuine and OE parts.

There are also aftermarket wipers that are available. I would buy them years ago when I had a Chevy S-10. But I've never tried them on my BMWs. But the local parts store says they have Trico and Rain-X arms that will fit the Z4. They're probably OK, but they're not much cheaper so there's no compelling reason to try them.

Gerry
      07-26-2022, 09:57 PM   #13
GerryC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
No guys, again, it is NOT the same thing, the thing that got 'stolen' off of mine is not the whole length of the wiper, it's probably 1/3 or 1/4 in length, is rectangular and sits on TOP of the wiper arm. I wish I had relevant photos but unfortunately they are too far away and can't see it at all.
OK. I'll accept that it is not what you have on your car. But what I linked to in realoem.com is the BMW part. And from what I can tell searching realoem, it was the same part for the entire run of the E89.

Since yours is different I can only assume that at some point someone replaced the original wipers with an aftermarket wiper. It's not a big deal but it makes it pretty much impossible for anyone on this board to identify it.

The only way to move forward would be if you could find a logo and part number on your wiper. Then someone here might be able to track it down.

Gerry
      07-26-2022, 10:05 PM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
OK. I'll accept that it is not what you have on your car. But what I linked to in realoem.com is the BMW part. And from what I can tell searching realoem, it was the same part for the entire run of the E89.

Since yours is different I can only assume that at some point someone replaced the original wipers with an aftermarket wiper. It's not a big deal but it makes it pretty much impossible for anyone on this board to identify it.

The only way to move forward would be if you could find a logo and part number on your wiper. Then someone here might be able to track it down.

Gerry
Thanks for sleuthing, I'm disappointed I didn't get a good pic of the thing. It was OEM afaik since it came w the car new. It's no biggie, I've lived ages w/o it, just irked me that those bums stole it and I didn't notice till too late.
Appreciate 0