New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-12-2022, 12:31 PM   #1
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

trunk lid softclose fuse.. is there one? location?

need some help...
Took a look at e89 fuse box diagrams and they are not very helpful.
My trunklid softclose is acting up again. i have already repaired it once before but i guess those wires inside the lid have broken again.

Now i was hoping to find a fuse that powers boot lids closing mechanism. and pull it temporarily to stop softclose opening and closing my trunk lid nonstop while driving.

Is there a fuse for it? If so which one is it? Where can i find it?

Thanks!
      05-12-2022, 03:07 PM   #2
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

My left wire broke some several ago, then right broke couple of years ago.
Not sure where the fuse is. I would just crack on and check the right side.

Whoever made these wires covered up their error. BMW should have called back.
Appreciate 1
KennyP140.50
      05-12-2022, 04:31 PM   #3
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
need some help...
Is there a fuse for it? If so which one is it? Where can i find it?
Fuse 25 supports the Cabrio Top Modul CTM, that is controlling the softclose system.

Name:  Bild1.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  159.7 KB

Why won't you simply repair it again? The broken wires are on the left or on the right.
Appreciate 1
KennyP140.50
      05-12-2022, 09:21 PM   #4
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiZ4 View Post
Why won't you simply repair it again? The broken wires are on the left or on the right.
Im studying software development at university and have many exams coming up right now. Also the garage i do my repairs in and where my soldering equipment and all the tools are is in my hometown that is more than 100km away. Because of this i dont have time to take it apart and repair these wires right now. Maybe in a few weeks time i will have free time to drive back home and deal with it. So i was hoping to pull a fuse and not use my trunk until then. Even if i had time to drive home right now i still would have to drive 1.5 hours and that softclose would actuate open/close in repetition the whole way there. Im worried that 1.5hours of nonstop actuation wouldnt be good for the softclose motors.

Anyway thanks for the information.
I will try fuse 25.
      05-20-2022, 03:29 PM   #5
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
My left wire broke some several ago, then right broke couple of years ago.
Not sure where the fuse is. I would just crack on and check the right side.

Whoever made these wires covered up their error. BMW should have called back.
You were right.. I had to fix left wires last summer... and this time it was the right wires that were broken from exactly the same spot. Repaired them and all is working again.

For people who start having problems with these wires: i suggest not just repairing the left ones but also take the shielding off from the right ones and do a preemptive repair on those aswell. Saves you from taking things apart twice.

Fuse 25 worked. i pulled it right when softclose was pulling lid to close, so that my trunk got closed correctly. And was able to drive home without softclose cycling nonstop.
One thing though... if you pull fuse 25 you will get error messages for the roof module and that roof isnt latched. Most annoying was the continious non stop bonging that error gave in the cabin. But i managed to drown it out with some music. So not that bad.

Also isnt Z4 fusebox like totally overengineered?