New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 318d Exclusive

Garage List
Rear Brake Pads Need Changing - Anyone Changed Their Own?

My car has started telling me the rear brake pads need changing very soon.

I've been to local stealership and its the best part of £270!!!!!!!

Now I know this car is a little more advanced than my old Mazda MX-5, but this is crazy money.

Quote : http://www.davidmbell.com/z4/pads_quote.jpg

Has anyone done the change themselves? I've changed discs and pads on my MX-5 before, but the dealer insists that I need to take it to them so that it can be connected to their diagnostics machine to tell the e-brake to release the pads.

Surely I just chock the wheels, or jack the whole thing up, and manually release the brake from in the car?

As for the service light, I've seen video's on how to access the reset menu, I assume as long as I change the wear sensor before I reset it then it will be fine?

Any help much appreciated.

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 318d Exclusive

Garage List
Nobody?
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

I have one of the first 09 model, and have not had to replace them yet. Currently have 42,000 I'm on the car and the the 'puter says then next check is in 10,000 km.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
GunSpeed
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbell View Post
Has anyone done the change themselves? but the dealer insists that I need to take it to them so that it can be connected to their diagnostics machine to tell the e-brake to release the pads.
This is fully correct!! The e-brake has to be put in a certain mode in order to release the pressure on the brakepads. This is only possible when the car is hooked up to the computer... sad but true (bin there, tried it, but failed...)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
GunSpeed
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post
I have one of the first 09 model, and have not had to replace them yet. Currently have 42,000 I'm on the car and the the 'puter says then next check is in 10,000 km.
Wow, my first warning came at 32,000km and replaced them 2,000km later.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
BOGONY
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i cab /2011 535 XI

Too bad you are not in USA
Just had them done under warranty
It appears to be more than a do it yourself job
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Auraraptor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Exx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
This is fully correct!! The e-brake has to be put in a certain mode in order to release the pressure on the brakepads. This is only possible when the car is hooked up to the computer... sad but true (bin there, tried it, but failed...)
Really? Even just having it 'off' won't so it?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
fojd6897
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw E89

I replaced rear brake pad.

Brake calliper remove then,

Turn the brake piston to the clockwise until complete stop with the IPS WL-270S ( below-mentioned tool ).

http://www.levelchrome.com/IPS-WL270...ers_p_102.html
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

The above method looks like it might work, but always danger of damaging seal.

Having studied what little i can find i will be going along the path, jack up vehicle, ebrake off, disconnect plug at calipers, remove motor gearbox assembly, release bleed nipple and screw back piston from the motor drive end. Insert pads, refit motor and plug, replicate on opposite side, then lower vehicle and set ebrake to park then drive carefully. Hopefully the ebrake adjusts to take up slack and finds its new position.

There was some suggestion in a document about the only way to release in an emergency is to remove ebrake motor/gearbox.

Anybody tried this.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #10
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Hi! You are correct! Believe it or not there is no easy way to release the handbrake if it is stuck on! there is a release procedure you described but basically the average motorist is stuffed.
The other issue about a rear DIY brake job is that the cars monitoring system does not know that new pads have been added as the cars release code has not been used, apparently , but not sure, the reason for this is that the motor drive travel is monitored probably so it does not overdrive into the disc when the brakes is off!!!!
I do not mean just resetting the Idrive to set the next replacement interval.
There is a brilliant article which identifies all the new changes for the E89 over the previous models and describes in detail all the operations including the Electric hand brake, roof mechanism etc. You can download as a PDF and store, makes a great reference document. It is on this site as a thread!!!!!

I enjoy doing basic maintenance and even bought a new set of rear pads, now stuffed as I do not have a coding machine. They are on sale for about £120 just for doing this job and nothing else. Only worth buying if the independents start charging a fortune......
Looks like I will have to go to an independent with the right equipment to do the rears but I will do the fronts. The same will be when I need to do the discs which is a long way off!!!

I have checked the E65 sites has they have had this system for years, and it is fitted to lots of other manufacturers,

Last edited by raven333; 08-07-2012 at 04:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
fojd6897
Registered
Rep

[QUOTE=bigendbob;12456718]The above method looks like it might work, but always danger of damaging seal.

I think, there are no problems, It's just dust cover.
Attached Images

Last edited by fojd6897; 08-10-2012 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
raven333
Private First Class
Rep

Hi! Even reading the last post does not tell you how to change the rear pads....
A word of warning to those removing the dust covers....
On my last 6 series I had to refurbish one of my callipers, replacing all of the rubber grommets, piston and the dust cap.
Everyone thought that the dust cap was the same across all the models BUT BMW have used a new method to secure the dust cap to the piston and judging by the above diagrams it is the same approach on the newer models including the E89.
It is very difficult unless you have a special tool (no surprise there it being BMW ). The pistons are different sizes front to rear so you need two special tools. Moral if your dust covers are in good condition then leave alone just give them a clean.....even the rubber grommets are a real pig to change!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Its interesting to see that pic from the service manual. Looks like those cutouts are intended to allow the piston to be screwed back in.
I think the initial problem is backing off the pads to clear a worn disc, so i'm tempted to go the route of removing the motor gear assembly, then gently turn the shaft sticking out of caliper to retract the piston. Might have to bleed off some brake fluid via bleed nipple. The differences document seems to suggest that the ebrake will reset itself on new pads.
The only way i can think this works is that the electrics sees a current change to motor when it stalls due to brake application, so telling computer the brake is applied. The document also suggests a retension when brakes cool, so again motor runs until it hits a pre determined stall current then cuts out.
Will find out soon as one pad as 2mm left. According the the service that supposed to be good for another 14000 miles!

Well just looked at the new brake pads i have. The piston cutouts could be to engage into the pads that have small pins sticking out, perhaps to stop rotation of piston when the ebrake operates.

Last edited by bigendbob; 01-01-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Can't you take it to an independent shop? It'll probably be cheaper than the dealership.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
raven333
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
Its interesting to see that pic from the service manual. Looks like those cutouts are intended to allow the piston to be screwed back in.
I think the initial problem is backing off the pads to clear a worn disc, so i'm tempted to go the route of removing the motor gear assembly, then gently turn the shaft sticking out of caliper to retract the piston. Might have to bleed off some brake fluid via bleed nipple. The differences document seems to suggest that the ebrake will reset itself on new pads.
The only way i can think this works is that the electrics sees a current change to motor when it stalls due to brake application, so telling computer the brake is applied. The document also suggests a retension when brakes cool, so again motor runs until it hits a pre determined stall current then cuts out.
Will find out soon as one pad as 2mm left. According the the service that supposed to be good for another 14000 miles!

Well just looked at the new brake pads i have. The piston cutouts could be to engage into the pads that have small pins sticking out, perhaps to stop rotation of piston when the ebrake operates.
I normally do all my own pad and disc changes, even bought a rear set of pads as they wear quite quickly only to find you need to code the car. There is a very interesting PDF on here within one of the threads which describes many operations on the car, especially the parking brake and how to change the pads!!!! Fair to say doing what you suggested not the right way, but there is a company selling a tool which electronically backs of the piston in order to change the pads!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

link to pdf link mentioned earlier

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...highlight=0500

The p0500 has the e-brake data.
      01-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Whats needed is this;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autel-EBS3...item337ce9a9eb
Might be a worthwhile investment.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #18
haspi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SDrive35i

Just got a similar quote from dealer, 450+tax....

I love the car but these moments make me think it was a mistake to keep it after the warranty expiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbell View Post
My car has started telling me the rear brake pads need changing very soon.

I've been to local stealership and its the best part of £270!!!!!!!

Now I know this car is a little more advanced than my old Mazda MX-5, but this is crazy money.

Quote : http://www.davidmbell.com/z4/pads_quote.jpg

Has anyone done the change themselves? I've changed discs and pads on my MX-5 before, but the dealer insists that I need to take it to them so that it can be connected to their diagnostics machine to tell the e-brake to release the pads.

Surely I just chock the wheels, or jack the whole thing up, and manually release the brake from in the car?

As for the service light, I've seen video's on how to access the reset menu, I assume as long as I change the wear sensor before I reset it then it will be fine?

Any help much appreciated.

David
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 02:03 AM   #19
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haspi View Post
Just got a similar quote from dealer, 450+tax....

I love the car but these moments make me think it was a mistake to keep it after the warranty expiration.
DIY for cost of pads with this helpful post.
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843020
      07-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #20
ZettVier
Rep
Drives: Z4-E89

How about that:

Dealerstealer are very quick with replacing parts.
1.if the sensor has had no contact with the brakedisk, there is no need to replace the sensor.
2. why buy original BMW pads? I bought mine from ATE.
3. check your pads and disk by yourselve and don't "believe" your display.

Last edited by ZettVier; 07-02-2014 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #21
fojd6897
Registered
Rep

rewind brake piston

I am using this tool to rewind brake piston, now.

AUTEL EBS301
ttp://www.autel.us/Products/ebs301.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #22
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fojd6897 View Post
I am using this tool to rewind brake piston, now.

AUTEL EBS301
ttp://www.autel.us/Products/ebs301.htm
No e-tool required.
use 6mm hex with a ratchet in the back of the motor.

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843020