New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #1
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Son's "dingdong ditches" caught on camera

So number two son had some friends over last night for an end-of-the-School year sleepover. They had a great time, I did some New York State legal fireworks in the backyard. They took off around 1030 to go walk around the neighborhood. Well they decided to dingdong ditch a few houses in the neighborhood. The house my son buzzed had a camera and the owner posted it on Facebook. Obviously not a federal offense. But I took issue with it because my son's face was posted on the Internet. I took my son to the neighbors house where he apologize profusely and the neighbor seemed like he excepted it. I am hoping they'll take the post down now. I certainly did a lot worse when I was his age. But my face was never posted on the Internet. I'm thinking it was kind of a dick move but it's their property and they can do whatever they want. Opinions? No old farts because I already know what your answer will be.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

No flaming bags of poo?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 3
upstatedoc7559.50
kscarrol8907.50
Murf99314114.00
      06-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Don't give him any ideas.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 07:55 PM   #4
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

I can see both sides. If they have young children or anxious dogs, some kids ding dong ditching them would be super annoying. It serves as a good warning for them and other kids not to do it again.

On the flip side, your kid apologized and they accepted the apology. They should take the post down if asked.

///M
Appreciate 2
      06-26-2021, 07:55 PM   #5
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

My brothers and I used to do this, and then go and hide inside our dad's station wagon; we would laugh our a$$e$ off watching the reactions.
I don't agree with what the neighbor did. If it bothered me that much, I would just talk to you as a parent, and ask that it not happen again. The neighbor overdid the situation with what he/she did.
Appreciate 3
upstatedoc7559.50
overcoil3073.50
      06-26-2021, 08:13 PM   #6
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

As a kid our group did this all the time. We never got caught but I do remember the LAST one we did the people called the cops. As we were walking back home and we walked by the house and saw the cop car outside the house. Scared the shit out of us. We ran back home and we didn't come out for the rest of the day and even after that I think we would avoid going by that house.

Ahhhh... the good ol days with no cellphones or weefee.

Can't really say what I would do today. Never had it happen as I've only lived in condos and a gated community. I probably wouldn't even answer the door without checking the camera first. If I saw it was a bunch of kids I doubt I would do anything. I mean I can understand posting video online to try to identify the perp but in this case what good would that do when no crime was really committed. Unless they are trying to identify the kids to talk to the parents? I'd be way to lazy for that.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7559.50
      06-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
My brothers and I used to do this, and then go and hide inside our dad's station wagon; we would laugh our a$$e$ off watching the reactions.
I don't agree with what the neighbor did. If it bothered me that much, I would just talk to you as a parent, and ask that it not happen again. The neighbor overdid the situation with what he/she did.
this
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 08:25 PM   #8
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Yeah but at the end of the day the owner of the house that had the security cameras more or less got what they wanted, an apology. I think kids should be smart enough to recognize houses often times have cameras now. I'd say that's a pretty good deterrent. Now if said owner doesn't take the video post down, THAT would be a dick move.
Appreciate 3
upstatedoc7559.50
shiftdnb376.50
DETRoadster11462.50
      06-26-2021, 09:17 PM   #9
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
So number two son had some friends over last night for an end-of-the-School year sleepover. They had a great time, I did some New York State legal fireworks in the backyard. They took off around 1030 to go walk around the neighborhood. Well they decided to dingdong ditch a few houses in the neighborhood. The house my son buzzed had a camera and the owner posted it on Facebook. Obviously not a federal offense. But I took issue with it because my son's face was posted on the Internet. I took my son to the neighbors house where he apologize profusely and the neighbor seemed like he excepted it. I am hoping they'll take the post down now. I certainly did a lot worse when I was his age. But my face was never posted on the Internet. I'm thinking it was kind of a dick move but it's their property and they can do whatever they want. Opinions? No old farts because I already know what your answer will be.
Does #2 have social media accounts of his own?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 09:22 PM   #10
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
He does TickTock but does not have FB
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 09:24 PM   #11
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Boys will be boys, and god love 'em for that.
Appreciate 4
upstatedoc7559.50
Germanauto9701.00
King Rudi13154.00
      06-26-2021, 09:29 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Amazing how immature some ppl are, I never did anything of the sort when young, seems very basic to not be a nuisance or worse to others.

That being said, OP did make his son own up to it (but I wonder what would've happened if there was no evidence?), and the cam dude could either take it down or block out the brat's face.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615244.00
      06-26-2021, 09:45 PM   #13
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So it's not that his face is on the internet, rather someone posted evidence of #2 being a #2?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 09:45 PM   #14
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Amazing how immature some ppl are, I never did anything of the sort when young, seems very basic to not be a nuisance or worse to others.

That being said, OP did make his son own up to it (but I wonder what would've happened if there was no evidence?), and the cam dude could either take it down or block out the brat's face.
I don't know if I would call him a brat. Maybe a son of a bitch sometimes.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
King Rudi13154.00
      06-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #15
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

OK, I changed my mind. Old farts feel free to post.
Appreciate 3
M_Six16890.00
Murf99314114.00
King Rudi13154.00
      06-26-2021, 09:52 PM   #16
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So it's not that his face is on the internet, rather someone posted evidence of #2 being a #2?
They posted full frontal of 💩
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 09:56 PM   #17
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There's only two options moving forward.

1. Cosmetic Surgery

Or

2. Paedo Bear drone drops
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      06-26-2021, 10:00 PM   #18
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Cosmetic Surgery

Or

Haircut and a dye job?
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      06-26-2021, 10:22 PM   #19
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

Life's lesson as we are now in the age of information.
It has to suck being a kid these days when simple harmless fun such as ding and dash can't be enjoyed without being posted on the internet. Now, someone watches vid and recognizes, your son, that person knows someone who works at your job, and the video gets passed on and on..

I told my daughter…
A video of a person's actions in public posted on the internet can get them hired or fired. Just like that Central Park Karen lady.
When in public, always try to act like you're on a job interview.
Appreciate 9
M_Six16890.00
upstatedoc7559.50
vreihen1615244.00
Murf99314114.00
TiMSport12796.50
King Rudi13154.00
nyalpine907433.00
Skoidat69280.00
      06-26-2021, 10:22 PM   #20
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Cosmetic Surgery

Or

Haircut and a dye job?
We both know it's #2.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:26 PM   #21
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
I don't know if I would call him a brat. Maybe a son of a bitch sometimes.
Whoa, are you female....or divorced? LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:30 PM   #22
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
OK, I changed my mind. Old farts feel free to post.
"Get off my lawn, kid!"

-Ding and Dash victim

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 4
upstatedoc7559.50
vreihen1615244.00
Murf99314114.00
DETRoadster11462.50