New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #23
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
Sooner or later, some company is going to release a design where the entire front end is nothing but grille mesh, with lights that just short of shine out from behind it. And it'll probably win 'something or other' of the year for it.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictur...crossover-suv/
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 09:10 PM   #24
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
God help us all.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 12:31 PM   #25
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
VQ motors don't make a god like amount torque at 2k I agree, but a VQ > most inline 4 turbos I owned in terms of power delivery. I am comparing my VQ motors I've owned to the EJ25T in the subaru STI (torque under 3k and turbo lag is horrendous) as well as my 18' x1 28i (good torque for a 4 cylinder turbo).

I've owned a 1995 nissan maxima VQ30DE and a 2007 350z VQ35HR. Both had over 200+ torque at little past 2k-5k levels. For the era they were created, they were great. The amount of torque they have at those levels are similar to current generation turbo 4 motors, slightly less only - however they pulled much harder to redline than today's turbo 4s, which seem to die off quickly due to the small turbos.

Earlier VQ engines (VQ30DE , VQ35DE) had even more torque down low and the curve was shifted more towards left. Later editions of VQ had the torque curve shifted right and rpms increased to allow for higher rpm power (VQ35HR VQ37HR). There's no way i'd prefer the fore to the latter - VQHR motors were the pinnacle of VQ - and those are the "torque less down low" ones.

So no, you do not need to get to stratospheric levels to get to max torque. You'll be at 80-90% of your torque around 2-3k already, maxing out before 5k. The Vq has a FLAT torque curve (as seen on the numerous dynos available) which is better to me than a sh1t ton of torque and then running out of steam like many 4pot turbo cars today. With that said, I agree that the VQ is ancient - but as a winner of multiple engine awards, having ran them north of 170k miles without any failures, I have a soft spot for that motor. Nothing to be excited about today though. I find it a bit ridiculous that this VQ motor is headed towards nearly 3 decades of powering Nissans, ha.

To each his own.
Even with all that, it's still way down on torque at the lower RPMs for such a big and heavy vehicle. The comparison to an STI is poor, those were old-school turbo cars that have survived for far longer than they should have, having to rev-up to 2800-3000 before the turbo really starts to "kick in". Nothing like the modern hot-v setups, the ones mounting the twin scroll a couple inches from the exhaust valves, etc. The STI has to wrap the exhaust headers around the entire engine to meet up with the turbo, which creates a ton of lag. Subaru is notorious for not developing their cars, like the 4EAT that had no place in the WRX, not putting a more powerful engine in the WRX, not putting a 6 speed in the WRX, lack of twin-scrolls, etc. They eventually get around to it, but man it takes them way way longer than it should,

Again, with modern turbo 4s, we are talking 250-300tq at 1500-1700, not 2-3K. Let alone what you can get out of a modern turbo 6 (which is what it should really have). It just leads to a far more drivable car IME.
      06-28-2021, 03:05 AM   #26
jradon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2series

Wow. The interior looks very classy!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #27
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Even with all that, it's still way down on torque at the lower RPMs for such a big and heavy vehicle. The comparison to an STI is poor, those were old-school turbo cars that have survived for far longer than they should have, having to rev-up to 2800-3000 before the turbo really starts to "kick in". Nothing like the modern hot-v setups, the ones mounting the twin scroll a couple inches from the exhaust valves, etc. The STI has to wrap the exhaust headers around the entire engine to meet up with the turbo, which creates a ton of lag. Subaru is notorious for not developing their cars, like the 4EAT that had no place in the WRX, not putting a more powerful engine in the WRX, not putting a 6 speed in the WRX, lack of twin-scrolls, etc. They eventually get around to it, but man it takes them way way longer than it should,

Again, with modern turbo 4s, we are talking 250-300tq at 1500-1700, not 2-3K. Let alone what you can get out of a modern turbo 6 (which is what it should really have). It just leads to a far more drivable car IME.
Of course it's a poor comparison, which is why I compared two vastly diff ones, but you only recalled the STI example. My B48 / 28i does not pull harder than that VQ... I'm not debating the fact that a small turbo would help them (mpg / daily torque), I'm merely saying it's not as bad as you make it out to be. The VQ is not considered a strung out motor with no power until the upper revs like the S65 / or B18 / B16 motors. It's a flat torque curve V6, better than many other NA V6s especially if you compared that V6 torque / power to it's competition the last 20 years. You're right an engine like the B48 motor makes more torque at 1500rpms but the VQ ends up making more torque overall and a lot more horsepower....

Previously they were mounted with the CVT as well (i hate CVT) but that would allow max torque / max hp to be pinned at that rpm soon after coming from a stop.

But yes, I agree it is dated now like I stated before already. It just isn't a lethargic, no torque motor that requires "stratospheric" rpms to get moving. That sounds like the STI, the B18, the S65, etc. Keep in mind the VQ35 is rated up to a 6000lb tow rating on the new Qx60.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 08:37 PM   #28
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
But... it's still just a Nissan.
Infiniti used to have great build quality and engines. Both seem in the past. The leather quality still looks really nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 03:32 AM   #29
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

the V6 is mounted transverse and to one side LOL
      07-12-2021, 09:26 AM   #30
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Good points in this thread. I guess I am the only short person reading it. I have never seen a car with such high head restraints. Looking toward the rear it appears that the driver would have a tiny hole in the middle of the window and the rest of the window is essentially blocked by the hideously tall restraints.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 11:02 AM   #31
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

I'm hoping they move this interior to the other cars
Appreciate 0