New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-13-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
e90owner1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Question for anyone in the finance field..

I'm planning on graduating with a Financial Management degree and was wondering if anyone with experience in this would give me some insight. Do you think getting an MBA would be worth it right out of college? or are there opportunities for a BBA?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 04:01 AM   #2
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
You can always go back and get an MBA later. There's a lot of opportunities after you graduate college to get into financial management or finance in general.

Your junior year internship is going to be pretty important, because if you get an offer at the end of the summer, you're all set upon graduation. Firms like BlackRock, Vanguard, etc. all offer really good internships. You can also go into IB or S&T if you want, and all those firms have very good internships as well.

As it stands right now, it depends on what year you are. A lot of firms have cut back their internships, but if the economy improves, things will be business as usual for summer analysts. Good luck!

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

I debated MBA right out of school. Some said they would have rather waiteded to get their MBA later. As mentioned above land a good internship or two. And get an MBA later. Thats what I did. Plus many programs look for 2-3 yrs of experience. Good luck!

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

I'd def say get some work experience....top MBA B-schools look for work experience as well in evaluating your candidacy....besides it gives you great hands on experience in the professional arena along with advancing your product knowledge.

I've been on wall street for a year......I work with credit derivatives, options, swaps, exotics...etc....the amount of information and knowledge I have gained in one year of work is scary. I'm 24....did my bachelors....currently a CFA candidate, MBA school a few years down the road. hopefully they'll still be a finance industry left.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
wellwell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post
I'd def say get some work experience....top MBA B-schools look for work experience as well in evaluating your candidacy....besides it gives you great hands on experience in the professional arena along with advancing your product knowledge.

I've been on wall street for a year......I work with credit derivatives, options, swaps, exotics...etc....the amount of information and knowledge I have gained in one year of work is scary. I'm 24....did my bachelors....currently a CFA candidate, MBA school a few years down the road. hopefully they'll still be a finance industry left.
+1, top 25 mba program or nothing...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

I'm going on to my senior year right now for my undergrad, and so far i have had 3 internships, but I'm not going to lie my family has a few connections which helped me land most of them. Anyhow I have 2 friends that graduated last year (undergrad) and only did one internship while in college, and there not at rock bottom there making pretty decent money for someone right out of college but I've seen people make more.

As for MBA i plan on doing it 2-3 years after I graduate I really want to find a company that will pay for it though..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
e90owner1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks guys, im going into my junior year next year, and I am required to do an internship to graduate, so I'll be doing that next summer or so. I hope that can help me get on my feet.
Appreciate 0