New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-24-2018, 04:23 PM   #45
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Can't stand glasses, but my contact prescription has gotten to the point where I really can't hold my phone far enough from my face to read it clearly without squinting. So next time I'm in for an eye exam, I'm planning to inquire about multifocal contacts. Anyone here had experience with these?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #46
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
My main glasses are Gucci style "GG 1045 ACZ" but I also have a set of Oakley "Crosshair" prescription sunglasses. I can't play golf with glasses (a bi-weekly event) so I have contact lenses I use strictly for golf.
Dig those frames! I haven't played golf in years but I had not thought about stuff like that.
Actually I should add I also use contacts when I go to the shooting range because I want to wear proper eye protection and not just my everyday glasses. It's not a bad idea to also have contacts if you participate in sports often. Having to put glasses under ski goggles for example isn't anything I'd want to do.
      07-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #47
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

I went from the Oakley Carbon Blade Plates(Bought two frames in six years.)

To the Rayban RB8415's:

I couldn't be happier. Even though Luxotica owns all of these companies anyway. They also own the majority of big box eye glass stores like Lenscrafters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #48
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually I should add I also use contacts when I go to the shooting range because I want to wear proper eye protection and not just my everyday glasses. It's not a bad idea to also have contacts if you participate in sports often. Having to put glasses under ski goggles for example isn't anything I'd want to do.
Same thing applies to scuba diving. Even though you can get a custom mask with corrective lenses added, I've never had an issue diving in my contacts.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 05:19 PM   #49
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
Same thing applies to scuba diving. Even though you can get a custom mask with corrective lenses added, I've never had an issue diving in my contacts.
Wifey and I are considering a trip to Bermuda and I was telling her that she can snorkel with her contacts and a good mask. People do it all the time. She was wondering how she'd wear glasses while snorkeling and thought contacts would be out of the question. I don't see why there would be a problem with contacts.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #50
literbikes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G. Telesto M3 w/SO Stitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
I've been going in for the past 3 months having x-rays taken. It has decreased in size each visit so they aren't going to do anything about it. The doc stated yesterday that he could shoot a laser at it and disperse the fluid but since it is going down on it's own he didn't really want to go this route and potentially leave scar tissue.
Please do not let them use the laser to treat the CSR. If your central vision is involved, it will leave you with a scar and a reduction in vision, where doing nothing has been shown to be the better treatment because it can resolve on its own. I know it is frustrating having the irregular vision in the center of your vision, but I have seen many patients that have had the laser decades ago and regretted the outcome. Below is a study that demonstrates this. Sometimes no treatment is the right treatment. You should also avoid steroid creams/inhalers and other steroid products which increase the risk for CSR worsening.

http://eyewiki.aao.org/Central_Serou...ent_Treatments
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #51
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Wifey and I are considering a trip to Bermuda and I was telling her that she can snorkel with her contacts and a good mask. People do it all the time. She was wondering how she'd wear glasses while snorkeling and thought contacts would be out of the question. I don't see why there would be a problem with contacts.
Does your wife wear daily disposable contacts ?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #52
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Does your wife wear daily disposable contacts ?
No, hers are 2-week replacements.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #53
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
I didn't think about the gun range either. Definitely going to need contacts now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
I went from the Oakley Carbon Blade Plates(Bought two frames in six years.)

To the Rayban RB8415's:

I couldn't be happier. Even though Luxotica owns all of these companies anyway. They also own the majority of big box eye glass stores like Lenscrafters.
Daaamn....I really like both of those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by literbikes View Post
Please do not let them use the laser to treat the CSR. If your central vision is involved, it will leave you with a scar and a reduction in vision, where doing nothing has been shown to be the better treatment because it can resolve on its own. I know it is frustrating having the irregular vision in the center of your vision, but I have seen many patients that have had the laser decades ago and regretted the outcome. Below is a study that demonstrates this. Sometimes no treatment is the right treatment. You should also avoid steroid creams/inhalers and other steroid products which increase the risk for CSR worsening.

http://eyewiki.aao.org/Central_Serou...ent_Treatments
I appreciate your input here greatly! This is my third go around with CSR and now that I think about it, I do recall being ill the week before the two times prior and taking steroids. I just recently had a respiratory infection and was prescribed Prednisone. Oddly enough the same Dr. that I saw the last 2 times told me to not let anyone do anything regarding my CSR as it would go away on it's own, but this time he wanted to shoot a laser at it if it wasn't better in 3 months. The only reason I went in this time is to was to have my eyes checked and they kept making a big deal about the CSR. I knew that I needed glasses but I honestly think it was a way for them to bill my insurance 3 more times before writing my script for glasses. Now that I've done my own research on it, have my glasses on the way and script in hand; I won't be going back to this place. There was some elitist attitude issues from the ladies that worked in there as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #54
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Can't stand glasses, but my contact prescription has gotten to the point where I really can't hold my phone far enough from my face to read it clearly without squinting. So next time I'm in for an eye exam, I'm planning to inquire about multifocal contacts. Anyone here had experience with these?
You mean the bifocal on the "outer rim" of the lens for closer vision. Hand raised. Just like you see the classic older lined bifocal glasses, periodically you see my tilting my head up/down to get increased close-up power. Similar to what was written about the progressives, as long as your contacts are fitted well to the center of your eyeball, it works rather well.

For reference, I have -4.00 with a +1.25 on the outer edges.
Appreciate 1
JamesWWIII2932.00
      07-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #55
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
You mean the bifocal on the "outer rim" of the lens for closer vision.
Nope. Multifocal lenses are supposedly an advancement in this type of contact technology. I’m not entirely clear on the difference, but apparently bifocal contacts are yesterday’s news.

https://www.coastal.com/thelook/how-...contacts-work/
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #56
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope. Multifocal lenses are supposedly an advancement in this type of contact technology. I’m not entirely clear on the difference, but apparently bifocal contacts are yesterday’s news.

https://www.coastal.com/thelook/how-...contacts-work/
OK, I have the Bifocal because I don't have any issue with mid-range vision, so I only need 2 rings of differing powers.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #57
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update: Picked up the glasses today. There is definitely going to be an adjustment period. In the past hour, I have walked in to the fender of the car, a door frame and damn near wiped completely out walking up 3 steps. I have also come to realize that I have been doing a shitty job shaving. I am completely enamored with the fact that I can see, but these progressive lenses have me a bit discombobulated.

Very happy with the frames. They are lightweight and very comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #58
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I picked mine up yesterday, with the line. I'm thinking that I might actually prefer the bifocal area to be on the TOP of the lens. When I want to read something small (drug bottle, label on alcohol, etc) I am generally holding it below neck level, and already tilting my head down. That naturally changes my focal point to the TOP of the lens.

It was humorous, at least to myself: last night I flipped the glasses over just to see if this had merit. I know I can still catch a falling object with or without lens
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      08-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #59
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I picked mine up yesterday, with the line. I'm thinking that I might actually prefer the bifocal area to be on the TOP of the lens. When I want to read something small (drug bottle, label on alcohol, etc) I am generally holding it below neck level, and already tilting my head down. That naturally changes my focal point to the TOP of the lens.

It was humorous, at least to myself: last night I flipped the glasses over just to see if this had merit. I know I can still catch a falling object with or without lens
I was just thinking about that same thing a little while ago. I look down more than I look up.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:28 AM   #60
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Four years later.....

Time for new frames. What's everybody's favorite style and frames? Had some Persol that I had my eye on and now they are discontinued.

These are at the top of the list at the moment.

https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/eyeglass...42?panel=false

Last edited by King Rudi; 04-15-2021 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 08:00 AM   #61
Capt Crunch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Bought these from a consignment shop. Never seen anything like them and they are very comfortable/swank as hell.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      04-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #62
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
First lesson you will learn like the rest of us had to - ordering from the Dr's office means you just paid 5 times more than you needed to. I did the same thing. Now I use online places and get great service and great options and don't worry about losing/breaking my $150-$500 glass they saddle you with. Get your eye exam, ask for your prescription, and shop away.
      04-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #63
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crunch View Post
Bought these from a consignment shop. Never seen anything like them and they are very comfortable/swank as hell.
Those are bad ass!! You are correct, they are swanky as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
First lesson you will learn like the rest of us had to - ordering from the Dr's office means you just paid 5 times more than you needed to. I did the same thing. Now I use online places and get great service and great options and don't worry about losing/breaking my $150-$500 glass they saddle you with. Get your eye exam, ask for your prescription, and shop away.
This is only my second pair. Lesson in the process of being learned. After they had me dilated yesterday, plus adorning a mask, I was asked to try on what glasses they had in their limited selection. First, how am I supposed to see what the frames look like on my face if I can't take my mask off. Number B, how can I see what the frames look like if I'm so dilated that I can't see anything.

Told the lady that was assisting me that I'd look online and find frames that I liked. She instantly gave me her email address to send a link to so they could get them and then hit my inusrance....er, I mean sell them to me.

Got on a few different web-sites and quickly saw how much cheaper stuff is online and I can virtually try on the frames...without a mask on....SOLD!
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15581.00
vreihen1614906.00