New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #89
mike0804
Enlisted Member
mike0804's Avatar
3
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 3.5is
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
I had the last gen Z4M Coupe and it was a great car but never sold well and in great quantity. But what a nice combo (NA I-6+lightweight body) it was.

I personally feel that after the last high rev NA M car goes away (current M3) the raw engine magic will forever be lost with all these new lame turbo I6, V8 models.

All we'll have left is bloated, heavy M luxury cars. M is now for marketing.

"Lame" turbo I6 models? Really?

Ok, I respect everyone's right to an opinion, no matter how idiotic.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #90
Silver-Bolt
Captain
19
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0804 View Post
"Lame" turbo I6 models? Really?

Ok, I respect everyone's right to an opinion, no matter how idiotic.
Actually he has a valid point. The entire BMW line up has become a bloated bunch of luxuary oriented boats. The e36 3-series was the last of the lean cars and it was over weight. Bring back light weight without all the fluff. The M series in my mind should be a hardcore performance line with few creature comforts. BMW should have a secondary line of performance that includes luxury. It will never happen but it's a nice thought.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #91
OrangeOne
Private
3
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 23i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

So rumor has it that the 6cyc tri-turbo will power the new M3, do you guys think it'll power the "eventual" Z4M?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #92
cdeslandes
Captain
cdeslandes's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
676
Posts

Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
Actually he has a valid point. The entire BMW line up has become a bloated bunch of luxuary oriented boats. The e36 3-series was the last of the lean cars and it was over weight. Bring back light weight without all the fluff. The M series in my mind should be a hardcore performance line with few creature comforts. BMW should have a secondary line of performance that includes luxury. It will never happen but it's a nice thought.
Luxury cars sell and are very profitable. Stripped-down sports car don't sell well and are not profitable.
Car manufacturers do the math.
__________________
2010 BMW Z4 s35i
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2013 Volvo XC90
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #93
Silver-Bolt
Captain
19
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
Luxury cars sell and are very profitable. Stripped-down sports car don't sell well and are not profitable.
Car manufacturers do the math.
Well aware of why cars have become bloated tuna boats. I wish we had the option of ordering exactly what we wanted rather than the options bundled together. Those days are long gone. Start with a bare bones car and only add the items you want.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #94
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
BlueZ4AZ's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
902
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
Actually he has a valid point. The entire BMW line up has become a bloated bunch of luxuary oriented boats. The e36 3-series was the last of the lean cars and it was over weight. Bring back light weight without all the fluff. The M series in my mind should be a hardcore performance line with few creature comforts. BMW should have a secondary line of performance that includes luxury. It will never happen but it's a nice thought.
I'm off to breakfast in my blue bloated luxury boat. ....be back soon.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 08-25-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #95
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
BlueZ4AZ's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
902
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
Well aware of why cars have become bloated tuna boats. I wish we had the option of ordering exactly what we wanted rather than the options bundled together. Those days are long gone. Start with a bare bones car and only add the items you want.
Porsche is offering a Boxster variant with lighweight cloth/nylon door handle pulleys. I'm not sure if that is the correct way to solve the weight issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #96
Moo
Gold Member
Moo's Avatar
No_Country
32
Rep
469
Posts

Drives: PSYWGN
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Studio 69

iTrader: (0)

Hi Scott26, any updates at all re: Z4M?

With tuned N54 still?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #97
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
403
Rep
7,877
Posts

Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
Well aware of why cars have become bloated tuna boats. I wish we had the option of ordering exactly what we wanted rather than the options bundled together. Those days are long gone. Start with a bare bones car and only add the items you want.
You got that all wrong ... you can still order the way you like it my friend. I got myself the bare bones m3 see, none of that additional mDrive or the auto transmission etc. etc. Just the 6MT the way the M3 meant to be. And do take my word for it the M3 now in it's 20 st year will be around when we are all gone depend on it. If not on the street or the track in some car show where people will point to it and say "Now there is a car if I ever saw one" or any other Bimmer for that matter.

So you see a boat is still a boat and a car a car all depends on the way you see it, a Bimmer of any type is still the car where you feel the road. Now mind you I've driven boats in my time like the Pontiac Grand Prix now there was a boat I give you that
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #98
sDrive35i
Private
5
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

V10 Z4 ftw!
__________________

2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35i
2010 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #99
Silver-Bolt
Captain
19
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
You got that all wrong ... you can still order the way you like it my friend. I got myself the bare bones m3 see, none of that additional mDrive or the auto transmission etc. etc. Just the 6MT the way the M3 meant to be. And do take my word for it the M3 now in it's 20 st year will be around when we are all gone depend on it. If not on the street or the track in some car show where people will point to it and say "Now there is a car if I ever saw one" or any other Bimmer for that matter.

So you see a boat is still a boat and a car a car all depends on the way you see it, a Bimmer of any type is still the car where you feel the road. Now mind you I've driven boats in my time like the Pontiac Grand Prix now there was a boat I give you that
Funny part is I bet that big old Grand Prix weighs about the same as a new M3.

Pretty close.
60's Grand Prix weighs 3940lbs.
2011 M3 manual weighs 3726lbs.
1990 e30 M3 weighs 2865lbs.

Last edited by Silver-Bolt; 09-14-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #100
HBspeed
Lieutenant
29
Rep
584
Posts

Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
News about the Z4M should come soon I would think. The 1M seems to be basically sold out already and production ended, so BMW might as well announce their next sporty contender.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #101
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
8
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Belfast

iTrader: (0)

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
News about the Z4M should come soon I would think. The 1M seems to be basically sold out already and production ended, so BMW might as well announce their next sporty contender.
Production hasn't ended and they are actually now planning 4000 units with a possibility of 5000. Production doesn't end until 2012. We have our 1M now but I know people in the UK who won't get theirs until the new year.

Still only 450 RHD to the UK but Japan and Australia now getting more RHD units.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #102
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
403
Rep
7,877
Posts

Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
Funny part is I bet that big old Grand Prix weighs about the same as a new M3.

Pretty close.
60's Grand Prix weighs 3940lbs.
2011 M3 manual weighs 3726lbs.
1990 e30 M3 weighs 2865lbs.
yes good point, however, does sure not feel like an m3 more like a boat. I know I owned one new in 1961
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #103
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
Memphis1's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
1,843
Posts

Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

...
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #104
cdeslandes
Captain
cdeslandes's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
676
Posts

Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
...
The new batmobile?

Hey Memphis, wee you driving on Post Rd today around 5 PM? I saw a blue E89 go by...
__________________
2010 BMW Z4 s35i
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2013 Volvo XC90
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #105
skier
Lieutenant
skier's Avatar
30
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
News about the Z4M should come soon I would think. The 1M seems to be basically sold out already and production ended, so BMW might as well announce their next sporty contender.
I think the car is out already - it's called Z4 3.5is. Scott has not chimed in on the Z4M in quite a while. As far as I would like to see a Z4M, I don't think it's going to happen. Check the the price of a Z4 35is - it easily hits $70K, with few options. What would be the price of a Z4M - $80K for base? I don't think it would sell and perform at this price point, and BMW knows it.

Z4 3.5is is quicker then E93 M3 in 0-60, even according to BMW official numbers. In real world is even quicker - lighter by 500 lb, with more torque. E93 M3 has no chance in a stoplight race. What Z4 lacks is the refined M3 suspension and steering. I own E93 M3, so I speak from personal experience. I also drove the Z4 3.5is over 2,700 miles in Europe last July. Z4 gets nervous and twitchy at 150 miles per hour, but for anything under 100 mph - it's my choice for next car. Low to the ground, long bonnet, beautiful interior.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #106
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
Memphis1's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
1,843
Posts

Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
The new batmobile?

Hey Memphis, wee you driving on Post Rd today around 5 PM? I saw a blue E89 go by...

Maybe, but you wouldn't have been able to make out what kinda car it was, you'd have just seen a blue blur...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #107
cdeslandes
Captain
cdeslandes's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
676
Posts

Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
Maybe, but you wouldn't have been able to make out what kinda car it was, you'd have just seen a blue blur...
Sounds like you drive like I do.
__________________
2010 BMW Z4 s35i
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2013 Volvo XC90
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #108
Jordanpryce
Private
Jordanpryce's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 30i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
I think the car is out already - it's called Z4 3.5is.
No MT = no dice (for me).
__________________
2013 Boxster - 2000 BMW Clownshoe M Coupe - 1998 BMW M3 E36 2015 Macan S Black/Black
Gone: 93 RS America, 75 Carrera, 71 914-6, 65 356C among others
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #109
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
BlueZ4AZ's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
902
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ

iTrader: (0)

No DCT = No dice

..and I will need at least a 375 HP "claim" from BMW. That would mean the car would actually have about 400 HP (since they've underestimated HP on both the 35i and 35is the guess is that the M would be underestimated too)

0-60 in 3.9 or faster will be required.

Lateral G of .97 or better
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #110
skier
Lieutenant
skier's Avatar
30
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanpryce View Post
No MT = no dice (for me).
Maybe for you, but the reality is most BMW buyers dropping south of $70K for a vert prefer DCT (or just auto). I had to order M3 E93 6MT as local dealer had none in stock. Maybe there is some sales in lesser models, but as you climb up in price, MT's are an exception.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST