New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
bobmos
Private
Canada
13
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i, 2015 Z4 35i
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Finally Ready To Replace My Tires... New Options?

An old topic. Starting up again in case there are new options for me.

Ready to dump my runflats for regular tires.

My needs are simple. I want a more comfortable ride without sacrificing much in performance. I do not need to extract the most out my tire choice, as I don't push the car. I do want excellent grip in wet and dry, and as little noise as possible.

2015 35i on 19" wheels.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 12:48 AM   #2
KennyP
New Member
KennyP's Avatar
Estonia
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or if you can find older Pilot Super Sport for cheaper.
I went with Pilot Super Sport just as the 4S got launched. I was seriously amazed on my first drive. It seriously transformed the ride: not crashy and much more sharper and more planted feel. Like i can place the car exactly where i want it to be in a turn. No play in steering or floatiness.
Noise level is low too.

They are expensive yes, but they also have a long treadlife... im amazed they havent run out already. Have had them for 2 seasons and still good. For example had Continental sport contact 5 on my previous car before i sold it... They were like driving on gel. Very soft and no feel and i was able to go through them in one season. i did regret buying them deeply. But once you have them you have to live with them until they are done. That made me promice myselt to buy only the best stuff in the future. You cant regret that decision.
Before that Continental experience i was Bridgestone buyer for years, They were good but still Michelin blows them away in almost every category. And they did not last long either.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
jparnes1
Colonel
jparnes1's Avatar
No_Country
191
Rep
2,347
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (1)

You don't want to sacrifice performance, yet you don't push the car. Those two thoughts are mutually exclusive. Get tires that suit you're driving. I would suggest high performance all seasons like Michelin A/S 3. That will save you considerable cost compared to high end summers (which to me sounds like would be overkill for you) and still provide all the drivability you need. They'll also last longer.
__________________
2016 340i XDrive, EBII/black, 6 MT, M Sport, Track Handling, Cold Weather, Tech, Lighting, Driver Assistance Plus.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:50 AM   #4
javis20
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 3.0i Silver
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Central PA

iTrader: (0)

Has anyone tried bridgstone Potenza A380's
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
tommylotto
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW Z4 sDrive28i
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Laguna Hills, CA

iTrader: (0)

When I bought my 2015 CPO Z4 last year it had Pirelli Cinturato Run Flats. I did not like the ride at all. This Z4 is just a weekend toy car for me So, I put on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's. That seemed to be the consensus pick last year. I can say that the ride improvement is very real and the grip much firmer. I do not drive it much. So, I'm not worried about wear life.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:27 PM   #6
bobmos
Private
Canada
13
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i, 2015 Z4 35i
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (0)

off to see the Michelin man tomorrow

cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:25 AM   #7
gds52
Colonel
gds52's Avatar
556
Rep
2,329
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmos View Post
off to see the Michelin man tomorrow

cheers
If you want summer tires, then only MPS4S
Well worth the price with long life and v good wet traction
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #8
bobmos
Private
Canada
13
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i, 2015 Z4 35i
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (0)

So I ordered the Michelin's. The older model still available but at the exact same price, so I obviously went with the new 4S model.

Went on Friday to have them installed. I asked the mechanic to check for bubbles on my old tires as since they were not worn out I figured I would keep them.

Well sure enough he comes after me in the front to tell me that the tires are bubble free, but that they found 2 stress cracks on the inner wheel lip of my right rear wheel...

Dang.

They suggested that I bring it to a local company that can weld this type of crack, and set me up for an appointment this Wednesday... same day service!

Left the tire dealer on my old tires. Called the foreman of my BMW dealer and told him about it. He had me call the service manager. He asked if there was any sign of impact and I said no... then advised me to come in Monday (today) to have a look at it.

They pulled it off and inspected it and it looked clean. Then they did a test on a balancing machine to see if the wheel was perfectly round and it passed all tests with flying colors. They took photos of the wheel and inspection readings and sent them off to the big cheese at BMW warranty approval, and I am now in a waiting period hoping that it is a warranty issue.

The new car warranty expires at the end of this June, so perfect timing. It is the first time that the wheels have been off of this car (15k km's only) so who knows how long those cracks have been there for. My tire pressure sensors have never gone off.

I am leary of doing the weld. I just can't imagine taking a road trip with a compromised wheel. The thought of replacing the wheel at my expense is equally upsetting.

I will wait them out, I guess. The new tires will have to wait a bit.

While I was at the dealer I checked out the new Z4. Very nice, and every bit different from the current one. No more old world BMW charm (my '15 has no GPS or idrive!). I found the trunk very small.\

I would probably consider one, but I would have to drive it first. I really really like the hard top format... had softtops on Porsches in the past the didn't thrill me.

And, most of you probably already knew this, but the one on the showromm floor had Michelin Super Pilot NON RUN FLATS on it. Apparently it comes with some type of foam repair kit.

That makes me feel better about giving up the run flats.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #9
Z4EDH
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: BMW Z4 3.5IS
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: El Dorado Hills

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmos View Post
So I ordered the Michelin's. The older model still available but at the exact same price, so I obviously went with the new 4S model.

Went on Friday to have them installed. I asked the mechanic to check for bubbles on my old tires as since they were not worn out I figured I would keep them.

Well sure enough he comes after me in the front to tell me that the tires are bubble free, but that they found 2 stress cracks on the inner wheel lip of my right rear wheel...

Dang.

They suggested that I bring it to a local company that can weld this type of crack, and set me up for an appointment this Wednesday... same day service!

Left the tire dealer on my old tires. Called the foreman of my BMW dealer and told him about it. He had me call the service manager. He asked if there was any sign of impact and I said no... then advised me to come in Monday (today) to have a look at it.

They pulled it off and inspected it and it looked clean. Then they did a test on a balancing machine to see if the wheel was perfectly round and it passed all tests with flying colors. They took photos of the wheel and inspection readings and sent them off to the big cheese at BMW warranty approval, and I am now in a waiting period hoping that it is a warranty issue.

The new car warranty expires at the end of this June, so perfect timing. It is the first time that the wheels have been off of this car (15k km's only) so who knows how long those cracks have been there for. My tire pressure sensors have never gone off.

I am leary of doing the weld. I just can't imagine taking a road trip with a compromised wheel. The thought of replacing the wheel at my expense is equally upsetting.

I will wait them out, I guess. The new tires will have to wait a bit.

While I was at the dealer I checked out the new Z4. Very nice, and every bit different from the current one. No more old world BMW charm (my '15 has no GPS or idrive!). I found the trunk very small.\

I would probably consider one, but I would have to drive it first. I really really like the hard top format... had softtops on Porsches in the past the didn't thrill me.

And, most of you probably already knew this, but the one on the showromm floor had Michelin Super Pilot NON RUN FLATS on it. Apparently it comes with some type of foam repair kit.

That makes me feel better about giving up the run flats.

I have 19 inch style 326 and the two rears each had small cracks but no bend damage. My understanding is, if done correctly, welding should last the life of the wheel.

They cut a “v channel” around the crack, drill a whole at the end of the crack and weld in the gap, and in my case did new powder coating after.

These rims are KNOWN for cracking, and assuming they weren’t bent, as you stated above, my assumption is BMW will cover it.

Mine is out of BMW warranty and currently under 3rd party, so I had to handle my repairs. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
bobmos
Private
Canada
13
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i, 2015 Z4 35i
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Lo and behold BMW called me this morning to tell me that the replacement was approved yesterday, a new wheel was ordered, and that it was in!

Had it installed then drove to my tire guy to have the Michelins put on.

First impression shows them to be smooth and quiet, and ... more supple on the cracks and bumps on our lovely Montreal roads.

My former Bridgestone Potenza rears were pretty much toast. The fronts were barely half worn. I saved them. If anyone here local needs them I will be happy to oblige. I can't imagine using them again.

Let me know.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
paris1
Lieutenant
37
Rep
577
Posts

Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern Calif.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmos View Post
My former Bridgestone Potenza rears were pretty much toast. The fronts were barely half worn.
Just to be clear, you are aware that this is typical wear on a Z4 and that your Michelins will do the same? I just plan on replacing the rears when the fronts are half worn out. That's the only way to even remotely come close to evening out the tire life on a staggered setup. Only problem is when you put new rears on you'll exceed the 3mm tread depth differential that the DSC needs to operate properly and it will be overly sensitive in corners until you get some wear on the new rears. PITA! I will never buy another car with staggered wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #12
Lurcher
Lieutenant
Lurcher's Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: 2012 z4
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Plano, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
I will never buy another car with staggered wheels.
You can just go with a square set-up.... Everything is a compromise...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #13
M3X3Z3
Enlisted Member
M3X3Z3's Avatar
South Africa
2
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Johannesburg

iTrader: (0)

After 9 years of bumping and bashing over bad roads, I called a time out on the run flats with half tread depth

Went down to 18" rims from the stock 19" ones and put on non run flat Michelin Pilot Sports. all of which resulted in a much more comfortable ride and sigmificantly less road noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #14
Lurcher
Lieutenant
Lurcher's Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: 2012 z4
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Plano, TX

iTrader: (0)

Why I stay with my 18" and MPSs....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #15
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
35
Rep
229
Posts

Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tupelo, MS.

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
If you want summer tires, then only MPS4S
Well worth the price with long life and v good wet traction
I was about to post the same thing. Not only is the dry performance amazing, but the wet performance will also amaze you!!


With the roads wet I can still get on it pretty hard without spinning a tire. This alone is worth the price of the tires since you will have all that grip in the rain.
Appreciate 1
gds52555.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST