New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-13-2021, 03:28 PM   #1123
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
https://theoutline.com/post/3074/ins...=1&zi=phj4wp4z

here's a bit more on how it works. seems borderline illegal but... i think these groups are based out of sweden or russia or something.
Interesting. I wonder why some don't just jump the gun and buy early. They say buy at 10:00 and you go ahead and buy at 9:55 to avoid the rush.

I can't think of a U.S. law they are breaking and as you said there are plenty of places to set this up where it won't matter.
      01-13-2021, 03:35 PM   #1124
Humdizzle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Interesting. I wonder why some don't just jump the gun and buy early. They say buy at 10:00 and you go ahead and buy at 9:55 to avoid the rush.

I can't think of a U.S. law they are breaking and as you said there are plenty of places to set this up where it won't matter.
they stagger it. the big sharks get the first word on buying and selling, then it trickles down to the smaller fish. You wont know which one they are buying just by checking the market because there are so many small alt-coin brands.

if you sell early you might miss some more profit. they might pump a certain alt coin a few times over a span of months before dumping it.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2015 Silverstone F80 6MT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR
Appreciate 1
David701507.00
      01-13-2021, 04:50 PM   #1125
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:

I am in some groups, but have never participated. They don't tell everyone exactly which Crypto/coin they are going to pump(there are thousands) until the moment before they do the pump. They give warnings before hand up until the time, and then once that time comes they message the group and say the coin to pump. As said, some bigger ups/whales get first privilege when it comes to knowing the coin before the rest of the sheep

Market manipulation/pumping and dumping is illegal, but the crypto markets aren't regulated like the stock market/others so technically it isn't illegal in the crypto scene.
Appreciate 2
David701507.00
Humdizzle2570.50
      01-13-2021, 04:54 PM   #1126
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm for risk if someone can explain who the leader of the market will be and why, what their business plan is (how will they make money), how likely it is and why I should invest in them. Do you know of a company and can answer these questions about them?

I never claimed it won't be enduring or become commonplace, just that I don't understand their business, have any idea who will rise to the top and why so many invest in them and don't seem to understand anything about them.

Most recommend Bitcoin because the stock price continues to go up.

Like him or not, Buffett's statements make a lot of sense. He's not always right but has done well over the long term. -

"Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.”
“Risk comes from not knowing what you are doing.”
“Never invest in a business you cannot understand.”
“The stock market is designed to transfer money from the active to the patient.” - think long term
“There are only two rules for investing.”
Rule 1: Never lose money.
Rule 2: Never forget Rule 1.
You invest money to make money.
Ripple(who uses the crypto XRP in their products)

https://www.crypto-news-flash.com/me...nutzen-ripple/
Appreciate 1
David701507.00
      01-13-2021, 06:08 PM   #1127
Sfvalley135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
No one would care about Bitcoin if the price wasn’t increasing. The question is, what is the price of a bitcoin? How is it valued? If it’s completely based on someone paying you more for it, it’s the greater fool theory and will end in pain .

How is gold valued? What about diamonds? Is it based on how much people are willing to pay ? Or on its scarcity ?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #1128
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

FTFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 06:15 PM   #1129
Sfvalley135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
https://theoutline.com/post/3074/ins...=1&zi=phj4wp4z

here's a bit more on how it works. seems borderline illegal but... i think these groups are based out of sweden or russia or something.

You can find similar groups on facebook telegram tiktok but they pump dump penny stocks.

No sane adult would invest into something that just came out yesterday with no track record or proper research. Crypto is unregulated and you’re on your own.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 06:19 PM   #1130
Sfvalley135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My buddy who is pretty deep in crypto was telling me about how there are discord chats with nearly 250k members. They designate a time to 'pump' a certain currency buy all buying in, posting it all over social media (some even create legitimate looking websites). They get more people to buy in. Then they designate a sell time.

Seems a little ponzi-ish to me but whatever. He made enough profit over a few years to buy an AP watch for himself now. This sort of thing isn't for me though. It can be very stressful to watch charts/stocks all day like a hawk. rather just invest in a low risk ETF.

So your buddy took part in pump & dumps and all you can mention about his assets is a AP watch lol
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2021, 06:22 PM   #1131
Sfvalley135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
I am in some groups, but have never participated. They don't tell everyone exactly which Crypto/coin they are going to pump(there are thousands) until the moment before they do the pump. They give warnings before hand up until the time, and then once that time comes they message the group and say the coin to pump. As said, some bigger ups/whales get first privilege when it comes to knowing the coin before the rest of the sheep

Market manipulation/pumping and dumping is illegal, but the crypto markets aren't regulated like the stock market/others so technically it isn't illegal in the crypto scene.
By the time these telegram groups post the coin they’re pumping it’s already up 20% lol I think they’re just reposting info from another source after they made their own orders.

They can only pump dump shitty projects with low market caps and low volume
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:11 PM   #1132
chassis
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4

Garage List
Quote:
I'm for risk if someone can explain who the leader of the market will be and why, what their business plan is (how will they make money), how likely it is and why I should invest in them. Do you know of a company and can answer these questions about them?

I never claimed it won't be enduring or become commonplace, just that I don't understand their business, have any idea who will rise to the top and why so many invest in them and don't seem to understand anything about them.

Most recommend Bitcoin because the stock price continues to go up.

Like him or not, Buffett's statements make a lot of sense. He's not always right but has done well over the long term. -

"Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.”
“Risk comes from not knowing what you are doing.”
“Never invest in a business you cannot understand.”
“The stock market is designed to transfer money from the active to the patient.” - think long term
“There are only two rules for investing.”
Rule 1: Never lose money.
Rule 2: Never forget Rule 1.
You invest money to make money.
Thanks David70 . What phase of investing are you in? I must have missed it. Decumulation/preservation, or growth?

I try to abide by many of Buffett's guidelines, most of the time. It's also true about Buffett that he admitted to not understanding technology companies. He now has a large AAPL position, so he crossed the bridge at some point in the past. Buffett has said that crypto "won't end well". OK, that's one point of view.

Other billionaires (Miller, Dalio) make more balanced statements. The U.S Federal Reserve posts daily closing values of crypto. It's on the radar.

A while back Tesla and Elon had many detractors. The stock price today suggests the detractors, so far, were wrong. Maybe crypto will make believers out of everyone in 5 years' time.

It could be that crypto and BTC end up on the garbage heap of the financial world. I don't think anyone knows for sure, now. Until it matures a bit, crypto is an experiment and a learning experience for many.

Last edited by chassis; 01-13-2021 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #1133
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfvalley135i View Post
How is gold valued? What about diamonds? Is it based on how much people are willing to pay ? Or on its scarcity ?
Gold is far more stable but is still a greater fool theory and is inferior to real assets like stocks, land, and real estate. Diamonds, same thing. Assigning value to stuff that doesn’t produce anything is speculation and is risky. Gold has such a long history, you can almost put it on its own, but it’s still fundamentally the same as other speculative assets.

Being rare doesn’t mean valuable either.

Again, assets need to produce something to have a valuation that is based on said production. Otherwise, it’s called speculating. You can speculate on anything, but you’re on your own if the music stops.

With a real assets, there is inherent value because they can produce earnings, pays dividends, provide utility, etc.

Gold, Diamonds, Bitcoin, ethereum, etc don’t do anything. They only have value in terms of someone else wanting to pay more than you did. If they don’t, the bottom can fall out quickly. That’s why they are speculative.
Appreciate 1
chassis1827.00
      01-13-2021, 07:50 PM   #1134
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Thanks David70 . What phase of investing are you in? I must have missed it. Decumulation/preservation, or growth?

I try to abide by many of Buffett's guidelines, most of the time. It's also true about Buffett that admitted to not understanding technology companies. He now has a large AAPL position, so he crossed the bridge at some point in the past. Buffett has said that crypto "won't end well". OK, that's one point of view.

Other billionaires (Miller, Dalio) make more balanced statements. The U.S Federal Reserve posts daily closing values of crypto. It's on the radar.

A while back Tesla and Elon had many detractors. The stock price today suggests the detractors, so far, were wrong. Maybe crypto will make believers out of everyone in 5 years' time.

It could be that crypto and BTC end up on the garbage heap of the financial world. I don't think anyone knows for sure, now. Until it matures a bit, crypto is an experiment and a learning experience for many.
Tesla will have to produce earnings to justify its valuation, which has gone completely speculative as well. Tesla will fall if they can’t deliver earnings in a big way in the coming years. Tesla is just another example of how speculation can make prices increase and people can’t get ahead of themselves. It’s not proof Bitcoin has value or not.

Again, Bitcoin isn’t like Tesla because the Bitcoin itself isn’t valuable in the same way Tesla produces real products and services. You can argue blockchain has value or digital currencies solve problems, but the Bitcoin itself is nothing.

You are only here because the price is $35,000 from $0. You have no idea why it’s $35,000 or if it’s worth $0 or $5,000,000. There is literally no way to value it because it does nothing. The value could be infinite because it’s only limited by your imagination.

And they say no more can be made? They will find a way...bet it.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 01-13-2021 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 3
P18189.00
chassis1827.00
David701507.00
      01-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #1135
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Gold is far more stable but is still a greater fool theory and is inferior to real assets like stocks, land, and real estate. Diamonds, same thing. Assigning value to stuff that doesn’t produce anything is speculation and is risky. Gold has such a long history, you can almost put it on its own, but it’s still fundamentally the same as other speculative assets.

Being rare doesn’t mean valuable either.

Again, assets need to produce something to have a valuation that is based on said production. Otherwise, it’s called speculating. You can speculate on anything, but you’re on your own if the music stops.

With a real assets, there is inherent value because they can produce earnings, pays dividends, provide utility, etc.

Gold, Diamonds, Bitcoin, ethereum, etc don’t do anything. They only have value in terms of someone else wanting to pay more than you did. If they don’t, the bottom can fall out quickly. That’s why they are speculative.
You have a point in regards to BTC, I.M.O., in a way in that it doesn't have real value beyond speculative, considering its soo slow and expensive to send/use compared to new gen digital currencies that no one will really use it this way like it was originally intended.

Ethereum(smart contracts), XRP(financial remittance, etc) and many others do have a real world use-case value, they do produce something and have technology behind them that provides utility to companies/people, helps save money, tracks validty, etc...

You guys(not you specifically) that are rallying against crypto seem to be missing this part, you just keep thinking all crypto is what Bitcoin is, and that couldn't be further from the truth. Stop thinking only in terms of BTC, it was just the first crypto.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #1136
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post

I try to abide by many of Buffett's guidelines, most of the time. It's also true about Buffett that he admitted to not understanding technology companies. He now has a large AAPL position, so he crossed the bridge at some point in the past. Buffett has said that crypto "won't end well". OK, that's one point of view.

I will always have some part of my portfolio in growth and higher risk investments and I don't agree that anyone should be completely in risky investments or completely in safe investments.

Buffett never said you shouldn't be in tech, just that you should understand what you are investing in. It seems very few understand much about what they are promoting when it comes to crypto. I think the vast majority of the crypto companies will fail, that's my problem with spending much money on any company unless I understand what they are doing and why they will succeed. You see it in the beginning of any new industry or tech, many companies jump in, few last long term.

"A while back Tesla had many detractors" - Every stock has some people that think it is a good buy and other that think it is priced too high. If everyone thought it was a good buy at the current price it would continue to go up. Also, you can add up all of Tesla assets, liabilities, revenue per year, etc. and discuss the value of all of this. Interested in hearing the same conversation on one of the crypto's. "So far the detractors were wrong " -----works well with looking back on anything. I believe their stock is over priced and so does Musk. My reasoning is the profits they need to make in the future to justify their current stock price are massive and competitors are coming quickly that have a lot of advantages over Tesla.

Quote:
Maybe crypto will make believers out of everyone in 5 years' time.
- Not sure why this matters to an investor as it only matters if the ones that are around are the ones you invested in. If you bought 5 companies stocks today, they all go out of business but crypto works, you still lose.

I asked for a crypto company from you that you believe is a good buy and an explanation of why but I think you passed? How do you pick a good crypto company to invest in?

Quote:
I try to abide by many of Buffett's guidelines, most of the time.
I can't see any of Buffett's guidelines that I posted that would ever not follow. Interested in seeing which ones you sometimes don't follow. I'm assuming you sometimes don't understand their business and don't care?

Last edited by David70; 01-14-2021 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #1137
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
You have a point in regards to BTC, I.M.O., in a way in that it doesn't have real value beyond speculative, considering its soo slow and expensive to send/use compared to new gen digital currencies that no one will really use it this way like it was originally intended.

Ethereum(smart contracts), XRP(financial remittance, etc) and many others do have a real world use-case value, they do produce something and have technology behind them that provides utility to companies/people, helps save money, tracks validty, etc...

You guys(not you specifically) that are rallying against crypto seem to be missing this part, you just keep thinking all crypto is what Bitcoin is, and that couldn't be further from the truth. Stop thinking only in terms of BTC, it was just the first crypto.
You guys (not you specifically), talk about crypto in general terms and saying it is a good place to invest your money but saying an industry is a good place to invest is missing the point. There are winners and losers in every industry and we shouldn't be talking about crypto in general as an investment and should instead be talking about who the winners and losers will be and why. As you said specific companies in this industry seem to have at least a reasonable plan, this by itself doesn't mean they will succeed but at least it makes sense to try to discuss them.

Being a crypto doesn't get the company a pass on coming up with a plan to bring in money, produce real goods/services, pay their bills and have profit remaining.
      01-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #1138
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You guys (not you specifically), talk about crypto in general terms and saying it is a good place to invest your money but saying an industry is a good place to invest is missing the point. There are winners and losers in every industry and we shouldn't be talking about crypto in general as an investment and should instead be talking about who the winners and losers will be and why. As you said specific companies in this industry seem to have at least a reasonable plan, this by itself doesn't mean they will succeed but at least it makes sense to try to discuss them.

Being a crypto doesn't get the company a pass on coming up with a plan to bring in money, produce real goods/services, pay their bills and have profit remaining.
Exactly right, and why my money in crypto is in the few companies that have a solid and working business plan and are currently being used or tested, like the companies I linked before.
Appreciate 1
David701507.00
      01-15-2021, 09:59 AM   #1139
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Don't forget your password. The BTC market is possibly the biggest scam in history.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55645408

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 2
P18189.00
jmg11262.00
      01-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #1140
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Don't forget your password. The BTC market is possibly the biggest scam in history.

There are people who have made lots of money in crypto so it cant be said to be a scam per say. I mean look at all the BTC millionaires blowing all the profits on cars in Dubai.

I think crypto technologies definitely have a future. Not sure about BTC even tho I own some. Also own ETH and XRP. Never because I thought it was viable or would go mainstream but just because people keep pumping money into it and if you're higher up on the pyramid you make money.

As someone who has worked in security for a long time BTC will eventually get compromised unless it is offline. Bet on that.
Appreciate 1
JasonDot276.50
      01-15-2021, 10:22 AM   #1141
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
There are people who have made lots of money in crypto so it cant be said to be a scam per say. I mean look at all the BTC millionaires blowing all the profits on cars in Dubai.

I think crypto technologies definitely have a future. Not sure about BTC even tho I own some. Also own ETH and XRP. Never because I thought it was viable or would go mainstream but just because people keep pumping money into it and if you're higher up on the pyramid you make money.

As someone who has worked in security for a long time BTC will eventually get compromised unless it is offline. Bet on that.
Completely disagree that this is a way to tell if something is a scam or not.

Strange that you seem to believe what you are invested in is literally a pyramid scheme and that's part of what draws you to it as you don't believe it is viable?
      01-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #1142
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Completely disagree that this is a way to tell if something is a scam or not.

Strange that you seem to believe what you are invested in is literally a pyramid scheme and that's part of what draws you to it as you don't believe it is viable?
Making money is what draws me to it. Im not forcing people to keep buying in at $35-40k. My total cash investment into crypto was about $500 and its a lot lot more than that now.

Technically one could say the whole US economy is a pyramid scheme.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #1143
jmg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, i3 LCI, VW Atlas

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post

I don't know if I could live with myself losing that. I might just bury my head in the sand for years!
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:56 AM   #1144
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

you guys do know that the distribution of btc is heavily in the hands of whales..
pump dump rinse repeat
this is what happens when the space is unregulated
and this Ponzi has excellent marketing as well
people continuously rotate in as destroyed investors rotate out
the only thing Ive found of utility in this sector is cross border movement of $
which of course in the long run govn will not allow to continue unregulated
ethereum fees are way too high
contract bugs and hacks can literally destroy your principle in ethereum defi
whole sector is in BETA and more than half of coins (and Im being generous) are ponzis
Appreciate 0