New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-29-2022, 08:18 AM   #23
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Me too, just waiting for it to burn in and have to be replaced. OLED is flawed big-time.

LG also won't do the Disney package we wanted, the app won't even load on the TV
I haven't noticed any burn in issues in 2+ years. I heard similar when I bought a plasma close to 20 years ago (as well as people saying plasma TVs dying because the lose gas). One plasma lasted about 14 years and the other (lesser used bedroom) plasma is still going. Doesn't mean it won't happen on the OLED but I think these types of concerns can be overstated and I am not expected the TV to last forever.

I don't watch Disney so sorry no advice on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I didn't realize TV could still have 'burn in' issues...I'm avoiding OLED if that's the case
https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs...tv/reliability
      09-29-2022, 08:42 AM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Me too, just waiting for it to burn in and have to be replaced. OLED is flawed big-time.

LG also won't do the Disney package we wanted, the app won't even load on the TV
Quote:
I didn't realize TV could still have 'burn in' issues...I'm avoiding OLED if that's the case
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I haven't noticed any burn in issues in 2+ years. I heard similar when I bought a plasma close to 20 years ago (as well as people saying plasma TVs dying because the lose gas). One plasma lasted about 14 years and the other (lesser used bedroom) plasma is still going. Doesn't mean it won't happen on the OLED but I think these types of concerns can be overstated and I am not expected the TV to last forever.

I don't watch Disney so sorry no advice on that one.

https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs...tv/reliability
Ah yes. The same burn in claim is still being brought up by the anti-phosphor technology people. This was the same thing that was being claimed with plasma. I've had my Pioneer 141FD for what? Maybe 13 years now. At first it was only being used in my A/V room. I've watched a mix of full screen and programming with the black bars. No sign of uneven wear or defined lines across the screen. I've moved this TV into my family room when I got the A90J. I've had news programming with static logos and tickers running through the screen for hours upon hours. No burn in there either.

Both technologies, OLED and plasma from decent manufacturers, employ techniques such as pixel shifting which moves image in a very subtle way that you don't notice it. The other thing that OLED does...at least my Sony does this is to limit absolute brightness when the electronics detect a very bright image for a set duration which may cause some burn in. This is why I said OLED doesn't do well with absolute brightness.

As I said, if you want the best picture available, OLED is it. If you don't do anything stupid such as set your TV to use the retina burning settings that some manufacturers include to have their TVs pop in the showroom, you'll be fine. In addition, if you buy a TV that has been reviewed by any of the decent sites online, they'll many times post up their calibration settings. This will allow you to set your TV to close to reference picture settings without having to pay for an ISF calibration. Doing so will drastically reduce any risk of burn in. I got calibration settings off the Internet for my TCL and Hisense TVs. And are very happy with the overall picture. But neither compares to my OLED Sony.
Appreciate 1
Tyga113229.00
      09-29-2022, 09:04 AM   #25
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
I haven't had the issue yet, thankfully, but it was all over the Amazon reviews when I bought my TV 2 years ago. I've also had the motherboard replaced, thankfully under warranty, which is common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I haven't noticed any burn in issues in 2+ years. Doesn't mean it won't happen on the OLED but I think these types of concerns can be overstated and I am not expected the TV to last forever.
I haven't noticed any either, but like I said above, it's still a common from the Amazon reviews, and even from independent reviewers who still recommend the TV, but want to warn buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Ah yes. The same burn in claim is still being brought up by the anti-phosphor technology people.
I don't have a dog in this pony show, I bought the TV, but the Amazon reviews prove that it's still an issue, even if you don't believe the reviewers telling you it still exists, but to buy the TV anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 09:13 AM   #26
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I still struggle with regulation LED, the OLED or QLED, whichever one is legit, I forget, is much better but bog stock LED looks absolute shite compared to my plasma. There is this this fake, almost 3D, soap opera look i can't shake no matter what options I play with on my own LED and friends LED.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 09:48 AM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I haven't had the issue yet, thankfully, but it was all over the Amazon reviews when I bought my TV 2 years ago. I've also had the motherboard replaced, thankfully under warranty, which is common.

I haven't noticed any either, but like I said above, it's still a common from the Amazon reviews, and even from independent reviewers who still recommend the TV, but want to warn buyers.

I don't have a dog in this pony show, I bought the TV, but the Amazon reviews prove that it's still an issue, even if you don't believe the reviewers telling you it still exists, but to buy the TV anyway.
Most consumers wouldn't know or care about a decent picture if someone hit them over the head with it. I doubt any of these Amazon reviewers took the time to actually configure the picture of their TVs. It sucks that one has to do this, but it's the nature of what sells in the showroom. The TV with the biggest pop is what everyone thinks is the best picture. Manufacturers know this.

If one doesn't want to deal with the hassle of configuring their TV, then they can pay for a TV that gets it almost right out of the box. My A90J is one such TV where professional reviewers have said the stock settings for the TV is pretty good and allows the buyer to skip an ISF calibration if they don't care about getting everything perfect.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 10:01 AM   #28
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

The family and friends houses i go to, all have their TV's with BLARING contrast, saturation and brightness. Totally blown out reds and whites, eye searing. Absolute shite.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13770.00
      09-29-2022, 10:15 AM   #29
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:

I may be in the minority here, but I would be perfectly happy if my TV were just a TV with one aux HDMI input. I run everything through an AVR and use a Fire Stick for most streaming, so I don't need apps. Especially Sony has a bad habit of doing things a weird way which means the apps won't work on a 10 year old TV or blu-ray player anyway. but a Fire Stick is what, $40? and if that goes obsolete you buy another one and don't have to replace the rest of your infrastructure. In fact, if there were a simple ATSC 3.0 component tuner on the market (is there one? I don't think there was as of about a year ago when I was looking) I would be perfectly fine with literally just a display.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13770.00
      09-29-2022, 10:32 AM   #30
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Most consumers wouldn't know or care about a decent picture if someone hit them over the head with it. I doubt any of these Amazon reviewers took the time to actually configure the picture of their TVs.
Although I agree with you about set-up, that has nothing to do with recognizing ghosting caused by burn-in.

Quote:
If one doesn't want to deal with the hassle of configuring their TV...
I feel sorry for those that don't, dealing with TruMotion and such. I like the process, other than setting up the remote to work with my cable.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 10:37 AM   #31
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Yes OLED is the best when it comes to picture quality. No debate. However it is significantly dimmer and more expensive. I considered OLED long and hard for our basement "theater" since it's basically completely dark.

However after having our smaller QLED TLC upstairs I found the quality to be pretty good. I'm not crazy about having the perfect picture quality or exact colors etc. What bothers me specifically is poor black levels in a dark room and the TLC managed that very well. IMO QLED (or equivalent technology seems everyone has a different name for it) is the best compromise between good black levels and $$. Certain technologies like local dimming I think also help a lot when not going OLED.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 10:38 AM   #32
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
You do know even though you don't watch TV, most people do? That actually makes them normal, and you are...

...different.
I probably am different...

My mind is not polluted with...

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 11:52 AM   #33
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Yes OLED is the best when it comes to picture quality. No debate. However it is significantly dimmer and more expensive. I considered OLED long and hard for our basement "theater" since it's basically completely dark.

However after having our smaller QLED TLC upstairs I found the quality to be pretty good. I'm not crazy about having the perfect picture quality or exact colors etc. What bothers me specifically is poor black levels in a dark room and the TLC managed that very well. IMO QLED (or equivalent technology seems everyone has a different name for it) is the best compromise between good black levels and $$. Certain technologies like local dimming I think also help a lot when not going OLED.
So should I get OLED or LED? I can get a Samsung LED for around $750. The OLED models are like $400 more. Do you think it's worth it?

We have a light of light in our family room where the TV would be situated...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 12:37 PM   #34
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Don't buy online, go see the set, i'm telling you a lot of LED looks rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 12:40 PM   #35
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Although I agree with you about set-up, that has nothing to do with recognizing ghosting caused by burn-in.
Disagree as if they bothered to set up their TV properly the burn in issues being complained about almost certainly wouldn't be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 12:48 PM   #36
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So should I get OLED or LED? I can get a Samsung LED for around $750. The OLED models are like $400 more. Do you think it's worth it?

We have a light of light in our family room where the TV would be situated...
Unless you have huge windows and have southern exposure where sunlight is directly beaming into the room or onto the TV, OLED should be fine. My old 141FD plasma is in my family room with 4 windows with transoms above them. The room has southern exposure so it's pretty bright with my sunroom nearby with huge windows. Don't have any issues with my plasma which has much less Nits of light output than any modern OLED TV.

My Sony A90J has an additional heatsink in the back of the TV which allows Sony to crank up the overall light output of the panel. But this is only for short durations as the electronics will gradually drop the brightness. I say look at professional reviews of TVs you're considering. Compare the total Nits of light output for each TV and then go see it in person at a store to see if the difference in Nits between LCD and OLED is enough to matter for you. In my case, having plasma, OLED, and LCD, I don't miss the higher light output with either the plasma or OLED. The much better picture quality more than makes up for any differences.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 01:37 PM   #37
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

LG OLED is the only answer. Disney+ is great for me :shrug:
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 02:05 PM   #38
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Disagree as if they bothered to set up their TV properly the burn in issues being complained about almost certainly wouldn't be an issue.
Now you've lost me. I'm truly curious as to how setting up the tv differently would keep the pixels from burning-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
LG OLED is the only answer. Disney+ is great for me :shrug:
This is how you do it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 02:10 PM   #39
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

I have a 4k roku, works great
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 02:12 PM   #40
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I went with this one. Reviews are good. My buddy is telling me it's trash so we will see. I cheaped out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 02:31 PM   #41
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:

This is how you do it?
I have the Disney+ app running natively on my LG OLED 65B7 (bedroom TV) LG OLED 65C2 (basement TV) and LG 55UK7700 (patio/hot tub TV) with no issues.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13770.00
      09-29-2022, 02:46 PM   #42
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Who relies on the tv apps??????????? thats bonkers. Get a streamer for goodness sake, firestick or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 02:54 PM   #43
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Who relies on the tv apps??????????? thats bonkers. Get a streamer for goodness sake, firestick or whatever.
I guess those of us that don't watch a lot of TV and don't know much about these things.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 03:29 PM   #44
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Now you've lost me. I'm truly curious as to how setting up the tv differently would keep the pixels from burning-in.
Because by default, most TVs come out from the factory with everything cranked up. To me it's amounts to factory abuse. Other people want to have the unnatural pop with the overblown reds and such. When you're overdriving a pixel, it's going to cause premature wear which is what burn in is.
Appreciate 0