New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-18-2022, 10:20 AM   #1
Mbin903
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

New to me Z4

Hello everyone. I just picked up my new to me Z4 on Saturday. I had a few questions. It’s a 2011 35is. Seems to be a great car. Only has 40k miles on it.

One of my questions is, is it possible to add a backup camera to this car? I looked on the website Crutchfield and I think they sell a kit but wasn’t sure.

My other question is, why does the radio and the pop up screen stay on after the car is shut off? Is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 10:32 AM   #2
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbin903 View Post
One of my questions is, is it possible to add a backup camera to this car? I looked on the website Crutchfield and I think they sell a kit but wasn’t sure.
There are boxes that you can fit inline with your screen that'll enable a back-up camera to be displayed, but due to the price I'd personally recommend an MMI box which not only has the back-up camera facility but you also then have the option of Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and this doesn't cost all that much more especially when you consider what this opens up to you.
Full details on how to fit it are here in my How-To video and links to the official website are in the description. Any questions then I'm more than happy to help. I don't sell these, I just do fitting, in the UK, but have fitted a few of these now including my own which I use every day

Quote:
My other question is, why does the radio and the pop up screen stay on after the car is shut off? Is that normal?
Basically, it shouldn't! As soon as you turn off it should stop playing and the screen should go down. Does it go down eventually, say about 15 minutes later?

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
Mbin903
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dave…..
I just got home from the store and went out to look after about 10 minutes, and yes the screen and folded back down. I wonder why it doesn’t do it immediately after the car is powered off? I know absolutely nothing about these cars. I’ve had so many different ones in my life, but never a BMW.

I looked at the video description on the box you were talking about, and saw there are 2 different ones. Either of those do come with a camera?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 12:01 PM   #4
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

You need to hit the stop button TWICE in order to shut the power accessories off with the engine. You'll also notice the dash display goes blank with the second hit.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 12:08 PM   #5
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I looked at the video description on the box you were talking about, and saw there are 2 different ones. Either of those do come with a camera?
Neither come with a camera, but those can be picked up on eBay, Amazon etc very easily. I'd recommend a licence plate surround camera and not a licence plate light camera as they are positioned off centre.
The difference between the two models is that one is standard and the other has a built-in DSP (equaliser). They both connect exactly the same and work in the same way

Quote:
I just got home from the store and went out to look after about 10 minutes, and yes the screen and folded back down. I wonder why it doesn’t do it immediately after the car is powered off? I know absolutely nothing about these cars. I’ve had so many different ones in my life, but never a BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
You need to hit the stop button TWICE in order to shut the power accessories off with the engine. You'll also notice the dash display goes blank with the second hit.
Keyless Entry (Comfort Access) by any chance?

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 12:19 PM   #6
Mbin903
Enlisted Member
Rep

Paris….thank you I’ll have to try that.

Dave….I have no idea if I have keyless or not.
And thank you for the info on the 2 boxes. I’ll probably try to find the camera you’re talking about and pick up a box. So any kind of camera will work?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 12:45 PM   #7
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Paris….thank you I’ll have to try that.

Dave….I have no idea if I have keyless or not.
And thank you for the info on the 2 boxes. I’ll probably try to find the camera you’re talking about and pick up a box. So any kind of camera will work?

Mike
Comfort Access, is where you don't need to press the unlock button on the remote to open the doors. It'll have three raised "slashes" on the door handle. Also you don't need to put the key into the slot to start the car.

As for a camera, this is the sort of one I'd recommend...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20379478371...3ABFBMgJXCpsJg

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 03:30 PM   #8
Mbin903
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dave…..
I guess it does have it because I can lock it and then just stick my fingers under the door handle and it unlocks, and the key can stay in my pocket to start it.

I’ll definitely look into getting that camera and box. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 03:14 AM   #9
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Dave…..
I guess it does have it because I can lock it and then just stick my fingers under the door handle and it unlocks, and the key can stay in my pocket to start it.
Ahh, yes then that'll explain it. As paris1 said then Alas I don't have that so I'm not used to it's little additional "features"

Quote:
I’ll definitely look into getting that camera and box. Thank you
You won't regret it. Assuming you've got the amplified audio system, then I'd recommend the more expensive box with the built in DSP. I say this because there have been many discussions about this over on the M3 group where members found the bass to be lacking on the normal box, so the manufacturer made this version as well. Now I have the non-amplified system (not available in the US) and I've had no issues with my sound so can only assume it's to do with the amplifier and multi speaker set-ups.
Yes just use the link in the video description and they sort you out

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 03:55 AM   #10
Mbin903
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dave…
How do I know if I have the amplified system? Also I was going to ask how you tell if it has the cd changer or not? I was watching the install video and it was mentioned in it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 08:02 AM   #11
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Dave…
How do I know if I have the amplified system? Also I was going to ask how you tell if it has the cd changer or not? I was watching the install video and it was mentioned in it.
Amplified system - You're in the US, so you have the multi speaker amplified system It was an option in other countries, with the base model being only 6 speakers and no external amplifier, like mine here in the UK.

CD Changer - Go to this site https://bimmer.work/ and enter your VIN. It'll give you all of the specs your Z came with from the factory. What you need to look for are either 672 - CDC Prep or 694 CD Changer.
If you don't have either then you'll need some coding to be done.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 10:52 AM   #12
Mbin903
Enlisted Member
Rep

CD Changer - Go to this site https://bimmer.work/ and enter your VIN. It'll give you all of the specs your Z came with from the factory. What you need to look for are either 672 - CDC Prep or 694 CD Changer.
If you don't have either then you'll need some coding to be done.[/QUOTE]

Yea I went and looked and didn’t have either of those codes
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #13
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Yea I went and looked and didn’t have either of those codes
Then you'll need 672 coded in then, as per the video.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 02:25 PM   #14
surfwooder
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 Z4

Garage List
2008 BMW 328IC  [0.00]
2009 Z4  [0.00]
Hope you're enjoying you Z4. Texas has some great top down days. I used to live in New Orleans, and traveled to Houston, many times in my 97 BMW 329IC. Most of the highways in Texas are really high speed, and people really run out their BMWs. So, at this point in your ownership of the Z4, I'd expect it was driven hard and fast on those Texas highways. I think you should look into changing all the fluids, especially transmission fluid, filter, coolant, and brake fluid. In your boots, I'd also change those salmon relays that control the top motors. If one or the other fail your top will be stuck either up, or down or 1/2 way. The result will be a huge repair bill, only at the dealer. You might want to put some conditioner on all the top and door seals. Use a German product called Gummi Pflege Stift. First wipe down the seals with soapy water, dry, then apply the Gummi. Be sure to apply it to the rear top seal both roof, and deck. That seal to replace cost over $700.00. The seal between the windshield and top is equally important. Check the batter compartment for present, and past flooding. Flooding here could lead to a massive cost for the hydraulic top system. It is also the home of those salmon relays on the hydraulic systems motors and pump. Look throughout the top mechanical joints, clean if dirty, and shoot a little lube on each joint. This will keep the top moving properly. Open and close the top, listen for any noises from the joints. No creeks or grinds should be present. Keep in mind BMW top fixes are expensive. My Z4 is a 2009 3.0 no turbo. I do know you have a turbo, and must watch it. Best of Luck with your Z.
      07-27-2022, 01:44 AM   #15
Mbin903
Enlisted Member
Rep

Surfwoofer…
Thank you for all the info. My car has about 42k miles on it…so the transmission fluid needs to be changed?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 12:21 PM   #16
B21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Quote:
Surfwoofer…
Thank you for all the info. My car has about 42k miles on it…so the transmission fluid needs to be changed?
50-75k miles is recommended for a gearbox oil change…it’s a relatively complicated affair to change…so probably a good Indy or BMW for most folks..

It’s oil plus new pan/filter on N54 E89s..
Appreciate 0