New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #1
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

How F'd up is this???

So, a buddy of mine just took delivery of a 2022 Mercedes S580 (AMG line) car 3 months ago. MSRP was around $148K.

Last week, he wanted to drive it to Illinois to visit his aging and ailing mother.

About halfway there, somewhere near a tiny town in Arkansas, he had a front tire blow out. So, he begins pulling over to the side of the road. BOOM. A rear tire blows out. He manages to get it towed to a garage station in a town with a population of less than a thousand people.

As it turns out, the mechanic points to another tire that is about to go too (no nails or debris but lots of side-wall bulging). But then the fun begins. They start looking for a replacement set of tires....none can be found. In fact, turns out there isn't a set of tires like this anywhere in the world (staggered set). They called everyone, including Mercedes.

He had to fly out back home to Denver, while his car is going to sit in that shop for months. I told him to call Mercedes back, tell them to send him a check for the car, and tell them where it is to go pick it up.

I can't even imagine, but who on earth is selling a car with no ability to buy replacement tires? This, aside from the fact that 2 brand new tires blew out with the third only miles away from doing the same thing.
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2022, 12:21 PM   #2
Daywalker007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Xdrive

Any idea what caused it?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 12:25 PM   #3
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker007 View Post
Any idea what caused it?
As far as he knows, the tires were probably defective. The mechanic pointed out to lots of sidewall bulging, etc. The car was only 3 months old, and he was just cruising on the Interstate. But that's as much as I know.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 12:30 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I'd seen an article somewhere about cars just sitting at a dealership waiting for tires, for months. Searching I find a little about Tesla's, but I don't think that was the article I'd read. And hell if I can find it now.

I would image
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4046.00
      06-15-2022, 12:34 PM   #5
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I'd seen an article somewhere about cars just sitting at a dealership waiting for tires, for months. Searching I find a little about Tesla's, but I don't think that was the article I'd read. And hell if I can find it now.

I would image
Well crap, my wife and I are about to embark on a road trip ourselves in the M850 Convertible - driving from Boulder, CO to San Francisco and then south along the Pacific Coast Highway, then back via Las Vegas to home. I'm not running the ROFs either, - got a set of all season tires that are not run-flats.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 12:53 PM   #6
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Interesting, my wife had a similar issue with her new NX350 Lexus, tire goes flat within 100 miles of purchase (nail), go back to dealership. Well this is a new model, so it has brand new Bridgestone tires that are specific to it, and this tire is not available for the next 3 months at least. I'm like OK so put a different Bridgestone tire on. No, we can't only this new tire can be installed (which I get from a liability, warranty standpoint). So I'm like are you telling me that if this needs to get replaced an authorized Lexus dealer will let a customer leave with a flat? He was like well sir we can't...I was like OK sir let's cross this bridge if we have to. Fortunately they could patch it. Seriously, how do they not stock a tire designed for a specific car they manufacture and sell and on top of that give you no remedy for the situation...oh I would have scorched the earth...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Not the same but our pirelli scorpions were only 1 yr old when they all started warping. We were in the middle of nowhere georgia at the time - (the day after Christmas) thankfully the tires are a lot more common on our Volvo XC90. Saw a 580 this weekend in my brothers parking garage - stunning cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:04 PM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I was stuck in Monterey (no complaints ) for a week years back waiting on tires. finally was over it and towed the car back to our store and slapped the stock tires on and waited. I think it ended up taking about month till those tires were back in stock and that was all before all these crazy supply chain issues. Seems everything these days is being impacted, sucks! Im sure there are a lot of stories like this right now happening all over with various scenarios

Bummer on your friend OP, hopefully he was able to eventually go see his mother...

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:05 PM   #9
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
I just bought a staggered set for my e90. Selection was terrible and I couldn't buy a set of Michelin anything and couldn't put together a matched performance all season set in any brand across 3 major vendors. The implications of a non-patchable blowout on a remote road trip are real and have me considering hauling a 9" rim with performance tire spare on long trips
Appreciate 1
br2wdc269.50
      06-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #10
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
So, a buddy of mine just took delivery of a 2022 Mercedes S580 (AMG line) car 3 months ago. MSRP was around $148K.

Last week, he wanted to drive it to Illinois to visit his aging and ailing mother.

About halfway there, somewhere near a tiny town in Arkansas, he had a front tire blow out. So, he begins pulling over to the side of the road. BOOM. A rear tire blows out. He manages to get it towed to a garage station in a town with a population of less than a thousand people.

As it turns out, the mechanic points to another tire that is about to go too (no nails or debris but lots of side-wall bulging). But then the fun begins. They start looking for a replacement set of tires....none can be found. In fact, turns out there isn't a set of tires like this anywhere in the world (staggered set). They called everyone, including Mercedes.

He had to fly out back home to Denver, while his car is going to sit in that shop for months. I told him to call Mercedes back, tell them to send him a check for the car, and tell them where it is to go pick it up.

I can't even imagine, but who on earth is selling a car with no ability to buy replacement tires? This, aside from the fact that 2 brand new tires blew out with the third only miles away from doing the same thing.
Quote:
As far as he knows, the tires were probably defective. The mechanic pointed out to lots of sidewall bulging, etc. The car was only 3 months old, and he was just cruising on the Interstate. But that's as much as I know.
Look, I have a 2021 BMW X3 in my shop and cant get a steering rack and the vehicle was towed in 12/27. Its the "new normal" now.

I would bet if you check the production date on his Benz it was sitting somewhere for months waiting on chips/trucking carrier/etc and the tires failed due to sitting
Appreciate 2
br2wdc269.50
      06-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #11
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
I just bought a staggered set for my e90. Selection was terrible and I couldn't buy a set of Michelin anything and couldn't put together a matched performance all season set in any brand across 3 major vendors. The implications of a non-patchable blowout on a remote road trip are real and have me considering hauling a 9" rim with performance tire spare on long trips
I have to switch tires on the M3 soon, for the M4 I just went 10mm wider to solve that issue. M3 came with all seasons which I can't wait to get rid of, you couldn't just go up a size?
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2022, 01:18 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Did you mention what were the tires? Crazy and dangerous almost 3 failed at the same time. At least your friend's ok, but time to get some answers. Wow.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
br2wdc269.50
      06-15-2022, 01:22 PM   #13
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Quote:
I have to switch tires on the M3 soon, for the M4 I just went 10mm wider to solve that issue. M3 came with all seasons which I can't wait to get rid of, you couldn't just go up a size?
I didn't explore going wider. The car was new to me with oversized tires and had a handling issue. Before getting into other troubleshooting I wanted to go back to stock tire size (comp rims). The issue disappeared and was likely rear tire rub from body roll during spirited cornering triggering the traction control system. The previous owner had 295s on the rear. I'll probably run 275s next set
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:29 PM   #14
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

TireRack.com shows tires for that car in 20 and 21 in sizes available.
Maybe not the desired brand but would get the car back on the road.

Could also do a tire/wheel combination and then sell the set when the “right” tires are available again.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410873.00
      06-15-2022, 01:31 PM   #15
br2wdc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 LMB

I had the same concern when I decided to get a set of PS4's instead of run flats, and below is the link to the thread that describes different spare tire options/solutions, and you may need to scroll up to see my kit.

It does take some space in the trunk but the peace of mind is worth it given the "remote" scenario you outlined.

But now that you mentioned the "more then one flat" scenario, maybe as a last resort I need to throw in a can of Fix-a-flat

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...9#post26826679

Quote:

2011 E90 M3 | Le Mans Blue | DCT | Slicktop
“The end is inevitable Maverick, your kind is headed for extinction” … “maybe so sir, but not today” – Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick
Previous: 2006 E90 330i | 6MT -- 2001 E39 540i | 6MT -- 1997 E36 M3 | Techno Violet | 5MT
Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933116.00
      06-15-2022, 01:36 PM   #16
NothingButToast
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Well crap, my wife and I are about to embark on a road trip ourselves in the M850 Convertible - driving from Boulder, CO to San Francisco and then south along the Pacific Coast Highway, then back via Las Vegas to home. I'm not running the ROFs either, - got a set of all season tires that are not run-flats.
Unrelated, but nice to see some others in the Denver/Boulder area!

Also did that PCH drive from LA to SF last summer, it was well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:52 PM   #17
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Let's assume he has the nice wheels in 21": Discount Tire has them in stock (Michelin). Then let's assume he didn't get the 21s, but the 20s: also in stock at Discount Tire (Michelin). What kind of nonsense is your friend being fed, and why didn't he spend three minutes looking this up on his phone as he's stranded?
Appreciate 2
2000cs3443.50
Wolf 3352338.50
      06-15-2022, 01:55 PM   #18
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Not a good start for the 22 S580s.

Ours is days from being a lemon. Recurring thermostat/Cooling issues.

I guess their production line is following the path of their F1 team.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:59 PM   #19
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Depending the selling state lemon law and if your friend is serious about it, you friend should look into lemoning the car. They may need to tow the car to a Mercedes dealership (maybe even if the dealership is in a different state vs the state where it was purchased) and leave it there for new tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 02:00 PM   #20
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

All this talk about service issues with new cars and seeing deletions on orders has me highly considering buying my lease out and selling once my warranty is up.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 02:23 PM   #21
Bumper2Bumper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y (G80 On Order)

This is all very interesting. We all know that some tires are difficult to find right now. I agree with searching the internet first. And checking the closes large city tire shops. We just ordered set of staggered very rare and aggressive setup for a 992 Turbo S and they were in stock in days from ordering. But a month ago, you could not get a Tesla tire if you wanted to.

I do know someone with Contis that has had multiple tires blow out the past week. Maybe a production issue if they are same tire.

What I do know is that this is not relevant to lemon law, and is definitely not the dealers fault or any responsibility of the dealer manufacturer.

Owner needs to have the car shipped home till he finds tires, or shipped to a location where there are tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 02:35 PM   #22
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

i mean i know everyone wants the exact tire size brand and star spec.

but youd be suprised how many tires can fit a rim
Appreciate 2