New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-10-2022, 02:44 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Does your car randomly throw codes?

I've had my car for a long time and don't want to make it sound like my dash lights up like a Xmas tree everyday, so maybe about 3 times in its long life so far. I figured each time they were nothing and *knock wood* indeed weren't since I parked it and the next day the dash warning's gone, never mind when the warning appeared I didn't feel anything wrong w the car.

I guess it's just typical BMW electronic gremlins? Any anecdotes from you guys?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 02:54 PM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Just because the lights go away the next day doesn't mean nothing happened. Sounds like you didn't bother to check for codes when it happened, so you'll never know. And the codes will go away too after a time. On the other hand, whatever did occur couldn't have been too serious or it would have made itself known sooner or later. Consider yourself lucky and, BTW, "X-mas tree dashes" aren't the exclusive preserve of BMWs. Lots of different makes do it on occasion for one reason or another.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2022, 03:34 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Just because the lights go away the next day doesn't mean nothing happened. Sounds like you didn't bother to check for codes when it happened, so you'll never know. And the codes will go away too after a time. On the other hand, whatever did occur couldn't have been too serious or it would have made itself known sooner or later. Consider yourself lucky and, BTW, "X-mas tree dashes" aren't the exclusive preserve of BMWs. Lots of different makes do it on occasion for one reason or another.
Tx, I understand that; I actually don't have a code reader, just going by the warning lights and referring to my manual to see what it thinks are the problems. The first time I had it checked and the tech said it was nothing, just need to keep an eye on it. This latest one said there were 3 potential prbs and I've checked them all myself and there's nothing wrong, so I'd chalk it to another weird electronic glitch.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Anyone wanna play sleuth?

Ok, so this error msg keeps popping up, it's annoying so will have it checked later this mth. My SA said it's probably nothing, just a call for maintenance, whatever that means but I don't feel anything weird either, car drives great. I note that it only comes up when I start the car and the engine's warm, so not when I cold start; it doesn't pop up suddenly while driving, so it either appears when I start the car or it doesn't.

I've checked the potential prbs according to my manual, and it's not the starter or lights or brake fluid.

(I don't have a reader since there's no pt for me, finding out what the code is and still having to take it to a shop since I'm not DIYing.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 12:57 PM   #5
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

???
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 05:30 PM   #7
JRCKG
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4

Help

What code is this and what does it mean?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 05:40 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCKG View Post
What code is this and what does it mean?
Looks like something to do w your shocks? I'm not near my manual rn.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 06:14 PM   #9
JRCKG
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4

I've looked at the manual and can't find anything for that code icon.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 06:26 PM   #10
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ok, so this error msg keeps popping up, it's annoying so will have it checked later this mth. My SA said it's probably nothing, just a call for maintenance, whatever that means but I don't feel anything weird either, car drives great. I note that it only comes up when I start the car and the engine's warm, so not when I cold start; it doesn't pop up suddenly while driving, so it either appears when I start the car or it doesn't.

I've checked the potential prbs according to my manual, and it's not the starter or lights or brake fluid.

(I don't have a reader since there's no pt for me, finding out what the code is and still having to take it to a shop since I'm not DIYing.)
Based on my reading of the manual, you need to check the brake pads. (although it could just be the sensor broke.)

Gerry
Attached Images

06-23-2022, 07:00 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
Based on my reading of the manual, you need to check the brake pads. (although it could just be the sensor broke.)

Gerry
Tx, it's not that esp after I went in for service recently to change my front brake assembly and also another for a general check-up.

Right now it's looking like some electric gremlin as the car feels perfectly fine *knock wood*. The weird thing is that it comes on when the engine's warm, and if I immediately switch off the engine and restart, it's gone.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 08:25 PM   #12
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Dash lights rarely light up as a result of "electric gremlins". There generally is a cause Maybe this will get you started in the right direction.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1740890
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 05:22 AM   #13
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Quote:
Tx, it's not that esp after I went in for service recently to change my front brake assembly and also another for a general check-up.

Right now it's looking like some electric gremlin as the car feels perfectly fine *knock wood*. The weird thing is that it comes on when the engine's warm, and if I immediately switch off the engine and restart, it's gone.
Which dash lights are you referring too?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 05:56 AM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
Which dash lights are you referring too?
Please see my #4 post, the red (!) and the red car on hoist.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 07:08 AM   #15
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Please see my #4 post, the red (!) and the red car on hoist.
Indicates that a service item is due soon, if you scroll through it will then tell you of the various servicing areas..oil, front brakes, rear brakes etc what is required in more detail..👌
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 07:56 AM   #16
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Indicates that a service item is due soon, if you scroll through it will then tell you of the various servicing areas..oil, front brakes, rear brakes etc what is required in more detail..👌
Tx, but that's unfortunately not the same thing me thinks. That is the general info area, whereas my red warnings just pop up when I start the car, so nothing to do w accessing that service section.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 08:07 AM   #17
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Tx, but that's unfortunately not the same thing me thinks. That is the general info area, whereas my red warnings just pop up when I start the car, so nothing to do w accessing that service section.
I believe what you are seeing is the prompt to remind you to check…this is a precursor to later warnings..there is a 3 level set of progressive warnings..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 03:37 PM   #18
surfwooder
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 Z4

Garage List
2008 BMW 328IC  [0.00]
2009 Z4  [0.00]
If you really want to resolve this issue, call around and find a local auto parts store that will read your codes. A good code reader will reveal what codes are open on your car. Here in the U.S. Auto Zone, will read those codes, and advise you for free. Since I own 2 BMWs I own a Foxwell 510 Elite programmed for BMWs. It hasn't been wrong yet. You can also clear the codes, restart, and see what ones return. I check both BMWs on the first of the month. The code reader will also register a new battery.
      06-24-2022, 04:15 PM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I believe what you are seeing is the prompt to remind you to check…this is a precursor to later warnings..there is a 3 level set of progressive warnings..
I hope so, but when I go into the service menu, the hoist is only yellow (vs my warning in red), so I suspect they are referring to different things. I'm still going w the glitch theory but am checking w my dealer. Tx for your input.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 05:41 PM   #20
B21
Captain
Rep

FWIW on these cars I’m not a great believer in glitches…I’ve done about 50k miles in my 2 E89s over 7 years and messed around with many of the various systems…usually if it pings a fault it’s usually true with two caveats..

A failing battery generates all sorts of spurious faults …it’s usually the first advice to change if mysterious faults come and go..

Sometimes the faults reported by one ECU are caused by a fault elsewhere..

As others said arguably a decent code reader or code reader app such as Bimmergeeks Protool is your first ‘wrench’ in your E89 toolkit…
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 05:48 PM   #21
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
FWIW on these cars I’m not a great believer in glitches…I’ve done about 50k miles in my 2 E89s over 7 years and messed around with many of the various systems…usually if it pings a fault it’s usually true with two caveats..

A failing battery generates all sorts of spurious faults …it’s usually the first advice to change if mysterious faults come and go..

Sometimes the faults reported by one ECU are caused by a fault elsewhere..

As others said arguably a decent code reader or code reader app such as Bimmergeeks Protool is your first ‘wrench’ in your E89 toolkit…
This is sound advice. However, I've encountered an electric glitch from years past that eventually went away after a while (the interior lighting and HVAC didn't work sometimes when I started the car and I had to counter by 'inventing' a new way to start the car that I deemed the 'T-Fix', basically the reverse way of starting the car, i.e. press the start button and then the brake).

You may be right about the battery, apparently while it's still in great shape, it's only 50% charged, maybe that is the culprit.

I personally have no need for a code reader since I'm not a wrencher and will need to take it to the shop anyway.
Appreciate 0