New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #45
baldguyj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 e89 35i Sdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax777 View Post
In UK, you are only allowed to drive auto if you pass your test in an auto. Passing the test in manual allows you to drive car with all types of gearbox.
That would be great here, unfortunately drivers’ educations in public schools teach with automatics. I taught my daughters MT and their first cars were MT, one went auto (family thing). Insurance is lsee expensive with the class. Let’s face it; there is a general difference in mentality from NA and the rest of the world. We have no conception of passing lanes, fun of driving… we have to deal with the kids texting for the most part. I have a DTC so I can have fun on the track 4 - 5 times a year and my morning drive before the rest of NA gets up out of bed… (4:30 AM here) Love driving in Europe, which I could rent a Zed when I travel over there!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #46
silverstone_ttlz4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 35i

I had a bit of an elitist attitude about driving MT cars since I'd never owned an automatic and liked the fact that it was becoming less and less common, so I tried really hard to find a pre-owned Z4 with that transmission. Since I couldn't find the combo I wanted that didn't have a DCT, I ended up going that route, and I have been happy with the decision. I am, admittedly, not the best MT driver, so my drives are 100% smoother and I still end up using the car in manual mode to have the control I want as to what gear I am in at any given time. Don't get me wrong, I still miss the extra engagement I had with my MTs, but the next time I buy a car, the decision as to which transmission to get won't be as clear as I thought it was this time around.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 11:01 AM   #47
ericvasania
Eric
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i 2011 & Z4 3.5is 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshifter69 View Post
Sounds like your just in denial. I bet you go around saying that just to make yourself feel better. Or compensate in areas you are inadequate. Or maybe you are an enthusiast after all....
I own a Z4 35is with DCT, use the pedal shifters very often and drive it just like i would drive a manual transmission. In traffic, it does the shifting for me and in crazy mode it shifts way quicker than any Manual or Auto transmission vehicle. Why would the enthusiast in me not want to stick with the DCT?

I also own a BMW S1000XR manual with a quick shifter that i use in crazy mode, because it simply works quicker and adds to more thrill than having to change gears with manually engaging / disengaging the clutch. Fail to understand how this would make me less of an enthusiast when i use both vehicles similarly in crazy mode
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 09:44 PM   #48
nplenzick
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mercedes 300c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvasania View Post
I own a Z4 35is with DCT, use the pedal shifters very often and drive it just like i would drive a manual transmission. In traffic, it does the shifting for me and in crazy mode it shifts way quicker than any Manual or Auto transmission vehicle. Why would the enthusiast in me not want to stick with the DCT?

I also own a BMW S1000XR manual with a quick shifter that i use in crazy mode, because it simply works quicker and adds to more thrill than having to change gears with manually engaging / disengaging the clutch. Fail to understand how this would make me less of an enthusiast when i use both vehicles similarly in crazy mode
Currently have a 35i with DCT and waiting for my 35is to arrive that will have DCT. I just love love love the DCT. Can't find any faults in it. Love charging a corner, braking very late while downshifting. Just can't beat the performance and fun factor. Don't get me wrong, manuals are fun as I've driven every manual you can think of, from Hewland race trans, to Porsche, to Dump Trucks, etc. No one was better with heel and toe then me. However the DCT in this 35i and my brothers Porsche are a pure joy to drive and I doubt that I'll ever own a manual again.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 07:27 PM   #49
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvasania View Post

I'm pretty sure you just beat the record for the oldest post I've ever seen resurrected... Bringing back one that's over a decade old to respond to somebody that was last active 6 years ago is some pretty advanced necromancy.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2022, 10:11 PM   #50
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I'm pretty sure you just beat the record for the oldest post I've ever seen resurrected... Bringing back one that's over a decade old to respond to somebody that was last active 6 years ago is some pretty advanced necromancy.
I will never understand that...what is their deal? Srsly.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 10:42 AM   #51
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Manual vs DCT

Even Porsche thinks it is worth offering manual again.
I will just offer my take.
I probably performed several million heel and toe, double clutch shifts. It is quite satisfying fun to do especially when it allowed me to make a pass during braking on a track day. This was in early Porches, Alfa Romeos, Corvettes et al The habit carried over on street use and I took it for granted. My E89 has the DCT and I do not miss the manual. Now I enjoy the way the DCT does the rev matching if you use the paddles and enables manual gear selection as well.
I would not discourage manual to anyone who wants to practice and perfect the technique, even though they probably won't be able to outperform the DCT.
Appreciate 0