New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-03-2023, 01:48 PM   #1
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Drivers seat heating question

So here's a strange one for you.....
My Drivers seat heating switch is remaining active after shutdown. By that I mean that I'll leave the seat heater on setting one (but any would still do this), switch off and get out and lock the car. Now I know that all systems should shut down automatically after 15 minutes. If I return after this time period and I turn the car on again the LED for the drivers seat heating will light up immediately and start heating again. Now I'm also getting a High Battery Discharge warning with this as well, so something is remaining active when it shouldn't be.
It's only doing it for the drivers seat as the passenger one is working as it should.

Now I did try and sort this myself, there are no codes coming up but I did think it may be an issue with the seat control module so I got a replacment and it's still doing it.

Any ideas anyone?....

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 07:27 PM   #2
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i X1 35i

Perhaps the switch is stuck with a bit of dirty or something and reacts that the button is being pressed. The switch is set up as momentary to activate the module, so if the switch thinks it's pressed, it will keep activating... does the seat heat in at max? I think you push the button multiple time to decrease heat...I don't remember since I don't use seat heat
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 10:04 AM   #3
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCW View Post
Perhaps the switch is stuck with a bit of dirty or something and reacts that the button is being pressed. The switch is set up as momentary to activate the module, so if the switch thinks it's pressed, it will keep activating... does the seat heat in at max? I think you push the button multiple time to decrease heat...I don't remember since I don't use seat heat
Sorry for the delay in responding.
So after extensive research I've found nothing!! I've replaced the seat control module but it's still the same. The seat will come back on at whatever setting it was left at, so can't be a sticky button, and I can control it with the button with no problem.
So to stop me from depleting the battery I just need to remember to switch the drivers seat off before I switch off, for now anyway.
I've had INPA do a fault check, nothing and I've even had it on ISTA and still nothing is detected as faulty, so I'm a little stuck now.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 03:27 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I think it remembers the seat heater setting, but if you're saying that the seat remains heated or that it's somehow draining power, then I dunno.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 06:28 PM   #5
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep

I would pull the fuse for seat heat and then monitor amp draw to see if it is really the seat heat staying on.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 10:04 PM   #6
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

Mine remembers the seat setting for a bit between starts.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 03:57 AM   #7
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So it's not remaining switched on (no heat in the seat when I get back to it), but it is remembering the last used heat setting. This shouldn't be happening beyond 15 minutes as all systems should shut down after this time. So if it's remembering the heat setting beyond this time (drivers seat only) then whatever is remembering is faulty. The problem here is determining which module this is. It can't be the JBE as that supplies power for both seats from the same fuse. So it could be a canbus issue.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 10:01 AM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I honestly don't recall how long it's supposed to remember the heat setting, but I've never had a prb w battery drain. I thought it was a convenience thing that it remembered. *shrug*
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 04:24 PM   #9
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

Yes mine remembers seat setting for a little bit but is not actually heating.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 05:41 PM   #10
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep

According to the Manual...

Press the button once for each tem‐
perature level.
The maximum temperature is reached when
three LEDs are lit.
If the trip is continued within approx. 15 mi‐
nutes, the seat heating is activated automati‐
cally with the temperature set last.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Z4 Seat heat.pdf (192.6 KB, 23 views)
Appreciate 2