E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Are you a smoker?

View Poll Results: Do you smoke in your E90?
HELL NO! 123 91.11%
Not yet-I want to enjoy the new car smell 5 3.70%
Yes with the windows open 7 5.19%
HELL YES!! Its smoky in my E90!! 0 0%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

08-15-2005, 02:32 PM   #23
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:

please don't kill me for being a smoker, the cigarette is already killing me :~
You are so correct!
Be sure to tell your family before u leave this world...
Not to sue cig. company, you knew exactly what u were doing.
Coming from a 32 year smoker that wised up 3 1/2 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2005, 03:56 PM   #24
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Might as well face it, I'm addicted to love. But definitely not cigs, though!!! Screw that. My dad smokes, my sis smokes, and my grandfather smokes those huge cigars, but none of them are allowed near my new E90

P.S. any of you guys that played San Andreas yet, did you hear that radio commercial to vote for that smoking proposition? I think it goes something like you'll be allowed to shoot any smoker before they kill you with their smoke. Ha ha ha ha!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2005, 03:59 PM   #25
Kurupt1811
Private
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

I have an occasional smoke now and then. Usually during exam periods. No smoking in my car though
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2005, 04:03 PM   #26
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurupt1811
I have an occasional smoke now and then. Usually during exam periods. No smoking in my car though
Yeah, me too, usually during a night of intense drinking, I usually have to bum a smoke off one of my friends But that's the only time I swear!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2005, 04:26 PM   #27
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I dunno..ask Peter Jennings...oh wait.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2005, 04:29 PM   #28
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
I dunno..ask Peter Jennings...oh wait.

OOO.. below the belt.
      08-15-2005, 09:37 PM   #29
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I stopped killing myself with cigarettes a long time ago. Now I enjoy a cigar from time to time, but would NEVER smoke in my car. Nor would I allow anyone to smoke in my car. NEVER! And especially not in my mew BMW. Yikes, what a thought!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2005, 11:40 PM   #30
B16309
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

For those of you who do smoke, you just don't realize how it is for someone who doesn't smoke.....when we walk in to one of your houses or one of your cars it's like, YIKES, DAMN, that's some nasty smell. Old cigarette smell can NEVER be gotten rid of. The worst thing is to get a rental car or hotel room where someone has smoked....damn is that nasty....and people that come around you who are smokers....if they knew they smelled like that, they wouldn't.

Sorry for the rant!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 02:16 AM   #31
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B16309
damn is that nasty....and people that come around you who are smokers....if they knew they smelled like that, they wouldn't.
Thing is smokers cannot smell it their lungs are clogged or something?
I smoked 32 years from 12 years old & never had clue of the smell.
One year after I quit my lungs must of open up?
I don't ever remember breathing like I do now. Smell everything now!
I go to the bank & especially post office I can smell everybody
Someone that has been drinking smells as bad as smokers, unreal.
Thing is, people need to wake up on thier own & when they are ready.
For me it was seeing my Dear Uncle dying on life support
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 03:58 AM   #32
kchika
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Evo, E46 M3

HELL NO!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 05:15 AM   #33
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 - 330i Navi, Premium

I used to smoke more than 10 years, but I quit about a year ago and have not been craving.. yet.. But I'm sure I won't smoke a gain.

Here's a tip for smoking in the car though, which came from my smoking experience and also has scieintfic background.

When you try to smoke in the car, smoke when the car's running over at least 30 miles/hour and open the drivers side window a couple of inches at most. In that case the smoke from the cigarette will be vacuumed through the small opening. It's called the Bernoulli's theory and it also explains why the airplane can fly.

Anyway, two things; driving over 30 mph non-stop while smoking with the window open about 2 inches at most.
Tricky thing is when you dust the cigarette try not to burn the rim of the window. You have to put your cigarette into the small gap to remove the ashes.
      08-16-2005, 06:24 AM   #34
MPowerE90
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 2005

NO! It's so disgusting ...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 08:11 AM   #35
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
OOO.. below the belt.
It's my german/italian upbringing. It's a dangerous combination. Guess which part of me is italian? (sorry folks..couldn't help myself)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 09:00 PM   #36
B16309
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Oh, just one more quick thing....my parents smoked when I was growing up and when I would complain about the smoke, they would always say, "stop it, the window is down...it's fine." Well, it wasn't fine. People fool themselves if they think opening (or cracking) the window really helps....the car still ends up smelling like cigarettes...and makes your passengers miserable. NASTY, NASTY!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 05:50 AM   #37
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
even though for me its NO NO smoking in the car i still have the smoking package in the car cos in years to come when we sell the car is open to a bigger market cos smokers and non smokers are eligable to buy the car
      08-18-2005, 07:10 AM   #38
I miss my 325xi
Private
Rep
Drives: '02 325xi(retired)

There is no way I will ever, ever smoke in my car. Not with the windows open or anything at all. Now I just have to apply the same will power to quit smoking. It's kinda pathetic actually, I apply extreme caution to my vehicle, but not to my health.
      08-02-2007, 04:24 AM   #39
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

and i do, occasionally, only with the windows open
leatherette doesnt seem to absorb the smell at all
ive been cutting back a lot lately, though
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 04:38 AM   #40
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfluid View Post

When you try to smoke in the car, smoke when the car's running over at least 30 miles/hour and open the drivers side window a couple of inches at most. In that case the smoke from the cigarette will be vacuumed through the small opening. It's called the Bernoulli's theory and it also explains why the airplane can fly.

Anyway, two things; driving over 30 mph non-stop while smoking with the window open about 2 inches at most.
Tricky thing is when you dust the cigarette try not to burn the rim of the window. You have to put your cigarette into the small gap to remove the ashes.
This is what I do, with two windows open it doesn't work, it just blows the smoke around the car. BUT with just the driver or pass window, depending on whos smoking, open a couple inches it all gets sucked out. Also with all the windows shut and just the moonroof open works too, safe effect.

Since my gf smokes too, I make sure we take turns while driving, works fine. Non-smokers cant tell, besides the occasional rebel ash that ends up somewhere. I get asked by non-smokers if I smoke in the car, cause it doesn't smell like it.

This is one of the reasons why I always get leather seats, they dont absorb the smell like cloth seats do, and they dont burn.

On another note, I always find it funny if I'm smoking outside at a public place or something and someone who's standing by me starts covering their mouth and giving me dirty looks. You guys should realize that doesn't work, I just blow more smoke your way.

Anyway, I hope I die before I'm old enough to shit myself and have to be fed by someone. I'll end my post with a quote, "It's better to burn out than fade away" Plus with all this smoking talk, I think I'll go have one.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 04:52 AM   #41
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Johnson View Post
This is what I do, with two windows open it doesn't work, it just blows the smoke around the car. BUT with just the driver or pass window, depending on whos smoking, open a couple inches it all gets sucked out. Also with all the windows shut and just the moonroof open works too, safe effect.

Since my gf smokes too, I make sure we take turns while driving, works fine. Non-smokers cant tell, besides the occasional rebel ash that ends up somewhere. I get asked by non-smokers if I smoke in the car, cause it doesn't smell like it.

This is one of the reasons why I always get leather seats, they dont absorb the smell like cloth seats do, and they dont burn.

On another note, I always find it funny if I'm smoking outside at a public place or something and someone who's standing by me starts covering their mouth and giving me dirty looks. You guys should realize that doesn't work, I just blow more smoke your way.

Anyway, I hope I die before I'm old enough to shit myself and have to be fed by someone. I'll end my post with a quote, "It's better to burn out than fade away" Plus with all this smoking talk, I think I'll go have one.
nicely put, if you ever decide to go to any socal meet, id gladly bum you
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #42
AndreTheGeek
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post

and i do, occasionally, only with the windows open
leatherette doesnt seem to absorb the smell at all
ive been cutting back a lot lately, though
It's the headliner that absorbs it, according to a used car dealer - and it's almost impossible for them to get the smell out without ripping out the headliner.

I smoke, but not in my car. On a long trip I make regular stops. It is worth it to keep the smell good. And you don't have those little bits of ash everywhere that blow around. And you don't get that gucky buildup on the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 06:20 AM   #43
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1 View Post
I don't understand how smokers can't "live" the hour or whatever it takes to drive to work. I am addicted to chocolate...I don't eat in my car. How hard is it to just not smoke for a while every day...breath some fresh air.

I will kill anyone who even smokes immediately before getting in my car *errggg*

I don't have my new car smell either... :/ the cars smells like chemical alcohol from idiot people cleaning the fuckup window tint they did...

They can live without it. They lack coping and self control mechanisms due to the addictive BEHAVIOR. People die from withdrawal from Alcohol, benzodiazepines, and a few other substances. Rather nicotine overdose can be quite lethal. People do not die from nicotine withdrawal, rather just become mildly ill due to reversal of chronic physiologic changes.

The substance itself, nicotine, is not addictive - rather the behavior of "smoking" is. It does have a very high TOLERANCE though - meaning if one were to smoke one pack per day for 10 years, and you were to quit for 5 years, after 5 years one day if you took up the habit you would return to 1 pack per day.

People will use this addictive crutch to feed their psychosocial habit, and play into their inability to quit.

For this reason, I am formally creating a research experiment involving bilateral upper limb amputation and cigarette smoking cessation.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 06:29 AM   #44
japac1
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
They can live without it. They lack coping and self control mechanisms due to the addictive BEHAVIOR. People die from withdrawal from Alcohol, benzodiazepines, and a few other substances. Rather nicotine overdose can be quite lethal. People do not die from nicotine withdrawal, rather just become mildly ill due to reversal of chronic physiologic changes.

The substance itself, nicotine, is not addictive - rather the behavior of "smoking" is. It does have a very high TOLERANCE though - meaning if one were to smoke one pack per day for 10 years, and you were to quit for 5 years, after 5 years one day if you took up the habit you would return to 1 pack per day.

People will use this addictive crutch to feed their psychosocial habit, and play into their inability to quit.

For this reason, I am formally creating a research experiment involving bilateral upper limb amputation and cigarette smoking cessation.
I agree, but not sure I agree with your statement that nicotine is not addictive. Although I don't want to split hairs between dependance and tolerance. I blame the tobacco companies for their marketing tricks in the past, but can't see why anyone would want to smoke today. In my work in interventional bronchoscopy, 95% of these patients have lung cancer from smoking. I also don't completely buy into a smokers lack of coping skills. You inhale this drug, like any other, and you pay the price.