New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

12-20-2021, 11:48 PM   #2993
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
First thing is first, trying to bulk while still not being consistent with form and breathing is asking for an injury to occur. Light weight is where these two things are developed. It's hard to concentrate on form and breathing if you can barely handle the weight you are attempting to move. I'd recommend changing gears to more of a cutting or maintenance phase where reps are more high until form and breathing have been ironed out.

It is also a common misunderstanding that lifting heavy weights equates to bulking. Bulking is more of a mind set and having more calories in then out. As long as that is happening you will still "bulk". You can still bulk with high reps as long as mind to muscle connection is present. The mind to muscle connection that I am referring to will not fully be apparent until breathing and form consistencies have been remediated. It is essentially having full control over the muscle group throughout the range of motion and ensuring that you are working all necessary parts (this is where form is huge).

In reference to counting, I've never been big on counting reps. I believe Arnold said "I only start counting when it starts hurting". That is essentially how I lift. Having set rep ranges often leads to laziness to an extent as you are working towards a number. True mental fortitude comes from being able to last past the difficult points.

I can go on and on, but short read would be - lower the weights, increase reps, focus on the squeeze, and move slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzke View Post
Developing mental and physical cues also takes time. Regardless of the weight on my back, my squat will look the same every single time. I think that's the slowest ramp up for new lifters, especially in powerlifting - is learning the details of your body.

The big compound lifts are inherently really complex but look easy. As long as you're not pushing/ramping up the weights too quickly into form breaking down, you're in a good spot.

Like JP10 said too, if i'm doing more of a bodybuilding type training block i'll train more according to how I feel. Could be 5 sets of 10, could be 10x10, or 4x8's. Most powerlifting programs though are very intentionally regimented and i'll follow them more closely.

Yeah, I should clarify it's a bulking routine, but he is at light weight. I tailored a JEFit beginners bulking routine to fit what we have for equipment. So yes, it's for bulking, but he is still working with less weight and most are 3x10 vs the 3x6 that comes in the JEFit plan.

What he has been doing, is if he can complete all three sets of 10 without much of a struggle on the least set, he starts at that same weight the next time for the first set, then bumps up 5 or 10lbs depending on the exercise for the 2cnd or 3rd set. Once he gets completes all 3 sets at the same weight he then starts the bump up process again. Anytime I see him consistently struggle each set with form I move him back down in weight until he shows that he can maintain proper form.

I'll start keeping him to less weight for longer. I also think I might have him record himself so he can go back and watch some of the things he does to start losing form. I try to explain those things, but I don't think he can visualize it very well because he gives me blank stares.

I do think some of it is mental too, sometimes he gets so amped up because a set felt good that his next set he goes into it too fast and I have to tell him to slow down and focus, it's not a race, theres no girls here to try and impress.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 04:46 AM   #2994
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Yeah, I should clarify it's a bulking routine, but he is at light weight. I tailored a JEFit beginners bulking routine to fit what we have for equipment. So yes, it's for bulking, but he is still working with less weight and most are 3x10 vs the 3x6 that comes in the JEFit plan.

What he has been doing, is if he can complete all three sets of 10 without much of a struggle on the least set, he starts at that same weight the next time for the first set, then bumps up 5 or 10lbs depending on the exercise for the 2cnd or 3rd set. Once he gets completes all 3 sets at the same weight he then starts the bump up process again. Anytime I see him consistently struggle each set with form I move him back down in weight until he shows that he can maintain proper form.

I'll start keeping him to less weight for longer. I also think I might have him record himself so he can go back and watch some of the things he does to start losing form. I try to explain those things, but I don't think he can visualize it very well because he gives me blank stares.

I do think some of it is mental too, sometimes he gets so amped up because a set felt good that his next set he goes into it too fast and I have to tell him to slow down and focus, it's not a race, theres no girls here to try and impress.
Just for shits and giggles,whats his diet/nutrition look like and how old is he?
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 12:04 PM   #2995
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
On the topic of body fat percentage estimation, does anyone have experience using the “US Navy” tape measurements and input them into an online calculator? The calculator uses a formula developed by, I assume, the US Navy.

Tape measurements are easy and repeatable. What do all y’all think?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #2996
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
On the topic of body fat percentage estimation, does anyone have experience using the “US Navy” tape measurements and input them into an online calculator? The calculator uses a formula developed by, I assume, the US Navy.

Tape measurements are easy and repeatable. What do all y’all think?
Tape measurements are also very easy to manipulate - if it is from the Navy I wouldn't be surprised to see a tension requirement when taking measurements haha.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      12-22-2021, 12:49 AM   #2997
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgixxer View Post
Just for shits and giggles,whats his diet/nutrition look like and how old is he?
21 years young.

Honestly, not great in the diet/nutrition, but not horrible either. Eats smart enough most of the time for main meals, but boredom snacks on crap all day long. He knows what he needs to do, but doesn't have the self discipline to follow through. It's always "it was just one cookie", but then when I add up those 'one' cookies for the day or the week his eyes get huge when he realizes how much he actually had, but then doesn't change anything. So I point it out to him when he has/had better options and such, but it's up to him to make that choice.

I will admit that our food options here (deployed) make it difficult to stick with eating well. The chow options honestly suck and they rotate the same menu every week, so we are pretty burnt out on the same dried out fish, same dried out chicken, same over-salted greens...

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 2
Oldgixxer1680.50
JP102462.00
      12-22-2021, 03:35 AM   #2998
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
21 years young.

Honestly, not great in the diet/nutrition, but not horrible either. Eats smart enough most of the time for main meals, but boredom snacks on crap all day long. He knows what he needs to do, but doesn't have the self discipline to follow through. It's always "it was just one cookie", but then when I add up those 'one' cookies for the day or the week his eyes get huge when he realizes how much he actually had, but then doesn't change anything. So I point it out to him when he has/had better options and such, but it's up to him to make that choice.

I will admit that our food options here (deployed) make it difficult to stick with eating well. The chow options honestly suck and they rotate the same menu every week, so we are pretty burnt out on the same dried out fish, same dried out chicken, same over-salted greens...
Well,first and foremost I would like to thank you and your training partner for your Service!

Ah,yes being deployed would make things a bit more difficult in regards to getting in all the required protein,carbs etc for bulking and what you listed doesn't seem very appetizing for one meal let alone 7 or 8 lol!
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 06:09 AM   #2999
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
21 years young.

He has to buy in to the change before it will really occur. Things will be slow until he does so. That is just the way it is unfortunately. Although the options may suck with that rotation, receiving proper nutrition from that is definitely doable. Although this may not be too much of a comparison, but when I was at my strongest in college all my roommate and myself would eat were chicken breasts. Two breasts per meal twice a day barely seasoned - we would just do our best with different sauces - this went on for what feels like two years... It definitely wasn't what I wanted to eat, but it was the most efficient manner towards our goal.

Agree with the above, thank you both for your service!
Appreciate 1
Oldgixxer1680.50
      12-22-2021, 11:32 PM   #3000
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well,first and foremost I would like to thank you and your training partner for your Service!

Ah,yes being deployed would make things a bit more difficult in regards to getting in all the required protein,carbs etc for bulking and what you listed doesn't seem very appetizing for one meal let alone 7 or 8 lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
He has to buy in to the change before it will really occur. Things will be slow until he does so. That is just the way it is unfortunately. Although the options may suck with that rotation, receiving proper nutrition from that is definitely doable. Although this may not be too much of a comparison, but when I was at my strongest in college all my roommate and myself would eat were chicken breasts. Two breasts per meal twice a day barely seasoned - we would just do our best with different sauces - this went on for what feels like two years... It definitely wasn't what I wanted to eat, but it was the most efficient manner towards our goal.

Agree with the above, thank you both for your service!
Thanks guys. Almost time to go home

And yes, I agree he hasn't bought into working out or realize the dedication and discipline it takes to achieve what he wants. All I can do is lead the horse to water, I can't make him drink it.

I remember the days of eating nothing but chicken breasts and rice. The gf is on a health kick back home and has been kickin ass at the 75Hard challenge. She's lost roughly 20lbs (she didnt have much to lose) and has gained about 12 back in muscle. Now that she seems to enjoy the fit and healthy life I'm excited to get back to good healthy food and I'm planning to put together a PRx garage gym and hit it hard before summer.

Appreciate 2
Oldgixxer1680.50
JP102462.00
      01-04-2022, 10:20 AM   #3001
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
After a brief hiatus I picked up where I left off training and dragged myself back into the gym Monday. Switched things up quite a bit with some unconventional training and now hitting each body-part twice a week with Sunday as my day off.

Nutrition has been adjusted accordingly. Doing split-sessions at 4am and then back for the second round at 3pm has made me realize how fucking old and decrepit I am. I'll either make some decent gains with newfound motivation or I'll fizzle out within a few weeks.

Stay tuned....
Been kinda dead in here so.....
Following up on this post from a few weeks ago,the switch-up in training has been successful. Motivation is back,although I'm pretty tired and needing a nap or two throughout the day from the split sessions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 12:24 PM   #3002
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Been kinda dead in here so.....
Following up on this post from a few weeks ago,the switch-up in training has been successful. Motivation is back,although I'm pretty tired and needing a nap or two throughout the day from the split sessions.
Looking mean!

I've been stuck at home with Covid since Wednesday. Only rough day was Thursday in which I felt run down so I just rested. Have managed to get a workout in everyday since Thursday though. Basically just full body with minimum weights for about 30-40mins following by a 3-5mile run. Can't wait to get back in the gym once my quarantine is over!
Appreciate 1
Oldgixxer1680.50
      01-09-2022, 02:33 PM   #3003
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Gym and pool day. Worked lats, traps, tris and biceps with dumbbells to strengthen and rehab. Increased yardage in the pool. Everything felt good, while noting a clicking in the shoulder.

Although I want to keep increasing pool yardage I will probably stay with the low level of 200yds and continue strengthening the shoulder with weights for the rest of the pool season. The risk vs. reward scenario for a re-injury is not attractive to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 04:41 AM   #3004
LauraUnger
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Sports day

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Gym and pool day. Worked lats, traps, tris and biceps with dumbbells to strengthen and rehab. Increased yardage in the pool. Everything felt good, while noting a clicking in the shoulder.

Although I want to keep increasing pool yardage I will probably stay with the low level of 200yds and continue strengthening the shoulder with weights for the rest of the pool season. The risk vs. reward scenario for a re-injury is not attractive to me.
I was at the gym today, because my back was hurting after the car. So let me tell you, it's worth it, especially 3-4 times a week. The first day is biceps and back, the second day is triceps and shoulders, the third day is legs and running.

Last edited by LauraUnger; 01-13-2022 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      01-11-2022, 06:49 AM   #3005
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraUnger View Post
:палец:
What Russian finger in gym?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 06:53 AM   #3006
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Finally back in the gym this week after my quarantine last week. Lost probably 5lbs last week - was exercising daily, but all lean movement followed by 4-5mile runs. Appetite wasn't great last week either. Going to continue to control the diet this week, feeling pretty lean. Yesterday I hit shoulders and biceps. This morning was back and triceps. Each day followed with 2500m on the rowing machine, 15mins of abs, and 75 flights on the stairs.

Trying to get back down to 180lb right now. I was 195lb beginning of last week. 188lb by Friday, probably less then that now. Older I get the less I care about a lot of mass.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      01-16-2022, 06:45 PM   #3007
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Gym day. Did stationary bike, dumbbells and swim. The shoulder rehab is coming along fine. I can feel strength increasing in the shoulders from dumbbell workouts. Pool yardage feels good. I will stick with this regimen and not increase weight or yardage, because it seems like I have a good thing going. Come on spring!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 06:37 AM   #3008
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Managed to make it to the gym both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was chest day, Sunday was back and triceps. Each day followed by rowing, abs, and stairs. Been pushing the weight as of recent and filling back out. I started looking at what I was doing last week and the week prior, reducing calories a little to aggressively, so over the weekend I ate a little more on purpose. No unhealthy foods, just a lot of healthy foods and high protein. Going to try to take it slow and steady with the weight reduction as I want to maintain all the muscle that I possibly can. So I still have the 180lb goal in mind, but I am going to take my time getting there. If I really pushed myself I could've probably got there this week, but would've lost a good bit of muscle along the way.

This morning was Shoulders and Biceps. Overall a good day, sore as shit from the weekend because I have been busting ass in there. Same as before, rowing, abs, and stairs to follow. I've been really going for broke on the rowing machine where the stairs is more so my endurance cardio. Rowed 2450m in 10 minutes yesterday - 2:03/500m pace. Felt pretty damn good about that - until I looked up Ceoncept2 record holders lol.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      01-18-2022, 08:26 AM   #3009
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Another solid day in the gym. I hurt my knee beginning on last year which took maybe a few months of rehab before it was back to 100%. I do an abundance of cardio daily, but due to the knee injury I have basically not lifted legs for months now. With that said I am definitely no chicken (skinny legs), my legs are probably the strongest looking muscle on me due to the amount I row, run, bike, and use the stairs. My upper body is thrashed from the last few days so I decided to lift legs keep close eye on form as to not rehash my knee injury. Leg day went pretty well! Started with leg extensions and straight leg deadlifts (lightweight) to start and warm up. Hammer squats coupled with ab work. Weighted lunges with hip thrusts. Finished with a burnout of heavy leg extensions and explosive lunges coupled with abs. Afterwards did 10mins on the cycle at high intensity and 15 mins on the stairs.

Legs are already pretty sore, but hope to keep this lighter weight progression going as long as my knees hold up!
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      01-19-2022, 10:50 AM   #3010
AustinZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i SMG

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Wife is stopping teaching her gym classes that she's been doing for 5 year now so she's training with me. Got on the bodyspace app and started doing Jaime Eason's 12 week trainer. Wife is already broken and we're not even to leg day yet...this is going to be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 02:12 AM   #3011
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Running is going to be annoying with gloves, thicker jacket and woolcap on. First you need it to tolerate the low temps and later you would drop it because its too hot...

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:40 AM   #3012
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinZ4 View Post
Wife is stopping teaching her gym classes that she's been doing for 5 year now so she's training with me. Got on the bodyspace app and started doing Jaime Eason's 12 week trainer. Wife is already broken and we're not even to leg day yet...this is going to be awesome.
That girl is ripped!! My wife is a big fan of beachbody. She does 9 week control freak and their 60 or 90 day fix program. I like that they stress the importance of stretching in that program. Not only do they ensure they properly stretch following the work out, but they also do a controlled stretch before bed. Leads to reduced soreness while maintaining flexibility as you put on muscle mass. Goodluck to both you and your wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Running is going to be annoying with gloves, thicker jacket and woolcap on. First you need it to tolerate the low temps and later you would drop it because its too hot...
Coldest I have to run down here in Charleston is 32°F luckily. In that temp I am in a sweatshirt and shorts - initially I am chilly, but by mile 2 my blood is pumping. Usually pretty dang warm come mile 5.

As far as my workouts go, yesterday was arms day. Today was chest day. Weight is coming down in a controlled manner. Legs are sore as heck from 2 days ago. I'd like a 6-pack this year, currently just a 2-pack. Need to stay aggressive and diligent!
Appreciate 2
Dang3r12503.00
      01-23-2022, 02:59 PM   #3013
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Gym and pool day. Stationary bike + dumbbells work on shoulders + 400 yds swim. Everything feels good. The shoulder is coming along however it feels like there will be some lasting clicking/scar tissue. Hopefully nothing that limits activity.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 06:40 AM   #3014
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Made it to the gym the last 5 days. Back/triceps Sunday - awful lift, just felt sh*tty in there. Followed that by 9 holes on the course. Monday was Shoulders/triceps. Tuesday Chest. Wednesday Legs. Today was back/biceps. Core is leaning out nicely so I can't complain there. Have been really good with the diet as well - 3 solid meals a day, snaking has been minimal (healthy ones if anything like hardboiled eggs).

Weekends are my enemy, but I also wouldn't trade them to achieve my goal faster. Gotta just keep pushing!
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50