New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

03-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #23
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

I don't have any "real" art so maybe I'm not one to comment. But I've asked and have been asked if my wheels are replicas at many car meets. It doesn't offend me. Maybe that's in part because mine are not replicas. I hope I have not offended anyone else but if someone did take offense, I'd apologize as that was of course not my intention. It was just curiosity. I don't think there's shame in owning them, so if they are offended, I think it might say more about them than me.

But maybe that is classless. It could be that it's similar to asking someone how much they make, like implying "do you make enough for afford the real thing"?

For me, like a lot of things, I think it depends on the delivery. If they come off as a snide little shit and they ask "hey is this real?", I'd probably be offended. But if they are more articulate and show genuine interest and the question comes up, I'd really have no problem with it.

I remember one time I was walking next to a car in traffic with a set of CCWs I really wanted and it was the first time I'd seen them in person. I was taking the opportunity to really check them out because I'd only seem them in pictures. I asked the guy "Those wheels look great! Are the real or reps?". His response was "they don't make reps of this model", and his light turned green and he took off. It's possible I offended him but I hope not as it was genuine curiosity.

Someone else mentioned the practicality of owning a replica watch. If someone asks you if the watch is a replica, it may be that they think the watch looks great and if it is in fact a replica, maybe they'd be more inclined to pick one up if it isn't a monumental purchase.

It's really hard to offend me for asking an honest question, though. Maybe I give people a lot of leeway.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #24
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
i have a fake panerai and tag grand carrera and wear them occasionally. my intent isnt to pass them off as real. i also have rolex and others that are real, at some point i may or may not buy the real thing. owning the grand carrera has led me to not want one and the panerai i do want as i like the look.
You aren't the first person I've known who does that. Frankly, I can think of several good reasons for choosing a fake watch.

All the best.

P.S.
Good to see you are still around. Hope things are going well with you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #25
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
i have a fake panerai and tag grand carrera and wear them occasionally. my intent isnt to pass them off as real. i also have rolex and others that are real, at some point i may or may not buy the real thing. owning the grand carrera has led me to not want one and the panerai i do want as i like the look.
Good point - trying out a high quality rep for a while to see if you like it enough to invest in the real McCoy makes sense.
      03-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #26
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
Being fairly new to BMW would someone care to explain to me the big deal about watches and the BMW/watch connection? I see more threads on watches than anything else.
Tony mentioned some good car/watch partnerships...to which I'll add some racing examples - namely, the Rolex 24 hours at Daytona, and the newly formed Tudor United SportsCar Championship. And anyone among us who's seen pictures of Paul Newman rocking his Rolex Daytona back in his early racing days can hardly deny that fast cars and beautiful watches just seem to naturally go together.
      03-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #27
GotEM4
General
Rep
Drives: EM4

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Yeah, but I am a car enthusiast, not a watch enthusiast. More money for track days and tires for me!

Also, as I mentioned in my 2nd post, I was a broke college grad at the time I purchased the replicas... I could care less if it was fake.
Different strokes for different folks. It's usually poor people that have the fake ones (any fake) that can't afford the REAL thing, but more power to you.

I was broke college grad but had a real Tag watch. Sometimes in life, whether you're rich or poor, you have to work hard to get what you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #28
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I guess as long as it's fake and they know it's fake it is fine.

I have a few "replica" watches that were fun to have. They are things I would not pay for if it were real but fun to wear and beat around in. Most are pretty good copies, you would not be able to tell the difference unless you took it off the wrist. It's just fun, almost disposable stuff. $50 for Rolex? Sure, why not. Just throw it away when you're tired of it.
My motto is, it doesn't matter if anyone else can tell if it's fake of not, I/YOU WOULD KNOW! I would feel like a fake, like I'm trying to be something I am not. Either be the person who likes expensive watches or the one that rocks a black G-Shock or Timex and would rather invest in something else. Either way, be real, be true to yourself! JMNSHO

PS. If you want a "Swiss" replica that you would have to open up to determine if it's real, you will pay more than $50, $100....more like $300-500. But they are still not up to par with quality. I bought one while in college and was self consciousness about wearing a fake watch, I already explained that above.
      03-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #29
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Fake watches are adorned by phony people.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #30
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
...But I've asked and have been asked if my wheels are replicas at many car meets. It doesn't offend me. Maybe that's in part because mine are not replicas....

But maybe that is classless. It could be that it's similar to asking someone how much they make, like implying "do you make enough for afford the real thing"?

For me, like a lot of things, I think it depends on the delivery. If they come off as a snide little shit and they ask "hey is this real?", I'd probably be offended. But if they are more articulate and show genuine interest and the question comes up, I'd really have no problem with it.

[nice anecdote deleted - TY for sharing....enjoyed reading it]
I wasn't offended, but I think you sense that. Disappointment is probably closer to what I felt. I like to think that I'm better at judging the character of the folks whom I let into my life enough that I'd invite them into my home. So I wasn't just disappointed with them, but also with myself. That I had to waste my time with that kind of person was entirely my own fault. Had I paid closer attention sooner and been more circumspect, I likely would have realized those folks weren't people I want in my life.

All that aside, it's the boorishness that ticked me off. I just don't see that as the sort of question that one asks. Maybe I'm too old fashioned. I know folks feel comfortable asking damn near anything of anyone these days. I know if it were a fake thing that someone complimented, I would be quick to thank them and tell them it's a copy or whatever. If they criticized it, I would accept the critique and share what I do like about it and ask them about similar items that they perhaps do enjoy. After all, if you know that you don't like watch X or artwork X, then you must know enough about the genre to have some that you do like. Maybe I like that too and we do have something in common.

As I said, maybe I'm just too "old school." But isn't that the way civilized people have conversations and freely express their thoughts and opinions.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #31
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotEM4 View Post
Different strokes for different folks. It's usually poor people that have the fake ones (any fake) that can't afford the REAL thing, but more power to you.

I was broke college grad but had a real Tag watch. Sometimes in life, whether you're rich or poor, you have to work hard to get what you want.

If by "poor" you mean folks such as Chinese nationals who don't have good jobs, I'd agree. I'd even agree if you mean Chinese nationals who have good jobs that don't pay as well as the jobs expats in China hold, again, I'd agree. Outside of that, I can't tell you what "people" usually do, poor or not-poor. It makes sense to me that poor folks would buy fakes seeing as the fakes aren't expensive in comparison to many alternatives, and certainly in comparison to the authentic alternative. But plenty of non-poor folks buy fakes too.

Every consultant I have staffed in the PRC (~100 Westerners) has bought at least one fake. Now they may be poor, but they only reason is because they spend every penny they earn. I know it's not because they aren't well paid. To the contrary, they are exceptionally well paid and they are living expense free in the PRC. Indeed, their daily per diem, which is expected just to cover dinner, amounts to about $20K/year and I know damn well they aren't actually spending that much to eat dinner because it's hard to do.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #32
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

It might sound harsh, but I find that if you cannot afford the real thing you probably shouldn't buy it. Fake watches: posers. Fake Louis bag: posers. Fake Gucci belt: posers.

Apologies in advance if this hurts your feelings.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #33
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
It might sound harsh, but I find that if you cannot afford the real thing you probably shouldn't buy it. Fake watches: posers. Fake Louis bag: posers. Fake Gucci belt: posers.

+1

I'd rather wear a cheap genuine watch, than a fake expensive one.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #34
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban15 View Post
fake rolex..? ..aint' going to impress the ladies even if you have an M6 that you own outright..
Are watches really about "impressing" people to begin with?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #35
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Uuuh yeah. Doesn't a casio or swatch keep time just like a rolex or patek?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #36
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotEM4 View Post
would you own and drive a fake M3?....I rest my case!
That's exactly what I was thinking. But then again many if us do buy replica parts for our cars. Either way, I don't like to buy fake products that I wear, that's just me. I'm sure there are tons of great replica stuff out there.
      03-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #37
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Uuuh yeah. Doesn't a casio or swatch keep time just like a rolex or patek?
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #38
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not
Kinda serious.

I think it's all about showing off to some extent. I mean you could just keep time with your cell phone if you really wanted to.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #39
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Don't do it! Set a goal and treat yourself to that special watch for achieving it. In 1998 I had a great year with business and earned an amount of money I always thought of as a serious threshold to exceed. So I bought a Rolex submariner that I always admired as a timeless classic that would be respected forever. I paid $2,800 which was a 15% discount off the MSRP at the time. I have worn that watch almost every day for 16 years and it is still as in style and admired as it was the day I bought it. If fact, even though the new ones have a better bracelet design, there is something about mine being old that makes it special to me. Ive since added a breguet and blancpain flyback crono to my collection, but the submariner reminds me to this day of achieving my goal. As an aside, I could sell that watch used today for about $4,000 after wearing it for 16 years!

Never sell yourself short. Better to wear a classic timex than a fake rolex. A nice watch will win you a LOT of respect, and you will never feel like you are lying to yourself.

Character is how you act when no one is watching. Think about this... How would you explain your fake watch to your 8 year old son?

Last edited by NewM3driver; 03-07-2014 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #40
GotEM4
General
Rep
Drives: EM4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
If by "poor" you mean folks such as Chinese nationals who don't have good jobs, I'd agree. I'd even agree if you mean Chinese nationals who have good jobs that don't pay as well as the jobs expats in China hold, again, I'd agree. Outside of that, I can't tell you what "people" usually do, poor or not-poor. It makes sense to me that poor folks would buy fakes seeing as the fakes aren't expensive in comparison to many alternatives, and certainly in comparison to the authentic alternative. But plenty of non-poor folks buy fakes too.

Every consultant I have staffed in the PRC (~100 Westerners) has bought at least one fake. Now they may be poor, but they only reason is because they spend every penny they earn. I know it's not because they aren't well paid. To the contrary, they are exceptionally well paid and they are living expense free in the PRC. Indeed, their daily per diem, which is expected just to cover dinner, amounts to about $20K/year and I know damn well they aren't actually spending that much to eat dinner because it's hard to do.

All the best.
when I mentioned people, it's a general term pertaining to ANY. Did not particularly insinuate Chinese people nor did I mentioned it. I understand that non-poor folks buy fakes too, which is why I termed it "usually", so I didn't use the word "Only". Yes, I am not down playing not buying fakes, but I was making a statement, given we are in a BMW M4 forum which a lot of people who will buy them have some sort of high-class taste. Just think, would you like to be seen driving a bugatti sporting a fake watch? just saying...

For some peeps who literally thought I was for real that there is a fake M3, I was basically trying to prove a point that why would you want anything fake when you can get the real thing! I can spot a fake whether it's boobs, purse, shoes or watch a mile away! (figuratively speaking of course).

So, for those who do buy fake stuff...good for you....just don't flaunt it like it's real cause you are just basically pretending...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 01:06 AM   #41
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post

ah so naive, standing on the shoulders of others and pointing a finger. everything you know came from someone else? do you really question it? with these comments its obvious not an original thinker.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 01:11 AM   #42
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
no, people arent impressed by watches unless they know about watches. most normal people have no idea how much a specific watch costs.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 01:24 AM   #43
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

I think it's pretty amazing how far replicas have come. This topic got me thinking and I started browsing youtube and I found this video comparing an authentic Rolex to several replicas. I'll be honest, all of those replicas except for the first one look immaculate to me, especially the one with the same color scheme as the authentic.

Personally I don't care about watches so I'd never buy a watch like this real or fake. But it's interesting nonetheless.

Looking from the outside in, I'm struggling to rationalize why the authentic costs $10,000 while these replicas cost maybe $100 or $200 (or even less). I don't understand where all of that $10,000 is in materials and labor. It appears, at first glance, that $9000 of that is just profit margin and brand inflation. But again this really isn't my field of expertise so I'll defer to those who collect watches regularly.

It almost seemed like the reviewer was struggling to come up with sensible reasons for why the authentic rolex costs so much more than the replicas.

Look at the replica at 4:44 and compare it to the authentic watch at the end.

Edit (merged posts):

The one at 6:14 is even better.

He keeps talking about how the "crown guards overlap the bottom of the crown" on the fake @ 6:14 compared to the real one shown at the end. What's he talking about?

He also claims the magnification of the date is the highest on the authentic. I don't see that at all. They all look similar (at least from the video).

The replica at 6:14 uses an "eta movement" which, from my cursory google search, appears to be a movement that's used in some respectable (albeit not necessarily high end) watch brands like breitling.

I will say though as a casual observer, the very first replica shown in the video looks absolutely awful. I'm really focusing on the replica shown at 6:14.

Just to be clear, I'm not at all criticizing anyone who spends $10,000 on an authentic submariner. In the past, I used to question people spending money on what I deemed to be a waste, but I realized how arrogant that point of view was (thanks to many useful posts from people like tony20009 and others!) because placing value on luxury non-essentials is necessarily arbitrary.

Last edited by NemesisX; 03-08-2014 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 03:31 AM   #44
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Well this thread turned out about how I imagined with a mixed bag of well balanced and DB replies.
I think we sometimes forget just how lucky we are, a different spin of the cosmic roulette wheel and any of us could have ended up working a farm in remote China or scrabbling round a rubbish tip in Africa looking for lunch. I don't think we have a right to our good fortune so it seems a bit arrogant of some to slam people who buy a cheap version of something they could not otherwise afford.
If an expensive watch does it for you then brilliant, if you can't or don't want to pay big $$$ for one then is always:
http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/forum.php
I have a replica IWC, I really like the look of it and wear it ever day. No one has ever asked me if its real and I doubt anyone ever will. No one cares what watch someone else wears.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 03-08-2014 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 0