New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

02-22-2020, 09:03 PM   #1
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Opinions please - investment?

Finally convinced the wife that a watch can be an investment or at a minimum that I can sell for close to what I paid for it. My choices are IWC, Rolex, or Blancpain.

Thoughts on these?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 06:05 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I’m a huge IWC enthusiast they are my absolute favorite watch. My opinion is that right now is not their best collection, though the Port’s u have pictured above are masterpieces that will always be desirable. But not an investment...if buying at auction or used and has one of their significant movements then maybe...but to make that move you’d need to be an expert or have access to an expert and that knowledge wouldn’t be available to most people.

Blancpain is a resurrection, they died then were brought back. Kind of amazing to think a Fifty-Fathom wouldn’t be a sure investment. I also read the fifty-fathom has very expensive maintenance cost. No doubt a fifty fathom is in an elite class and garners and deservedly so - absolute respect.

Then Rolex Daytona (Patek), you know in a way it’s boring. If you by the right model it’s like currency.

That’s my non-expert opinion. But first you need to try them on because you need to make sure the watch fits your wrist and is comfy.

One last thing. I have a smallish wrist. And the IWC rep let me try on a Grande Complication from the 1990’s. And it felt amazing.

Then you really need to assess yellow gold or rose gold. I tend to think right now, white gold and of course platinum are the sure materials.

Though Rolex stainless steel 904 has proven brilliant - whether through marketing I don’t know but Rolex ss are smart buys.
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-23-2020, 06:58 AM   #3
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

First I would figure out where you feel comfortable financially buying one. You have a substantial range price wise. The Blanc can be found used for well under 8k and a gold Daytona will usually set you back 30k +, both being used. What’s a pretty wide spread.
Me I’m a Rolex guy. All their models retain their prices very well and a small few appreciate nicely. S/S models are usually the best bets for retaining or appreciating. PM( precious metals) not so much so. Bought my Submariner ND new about 9 years ago and looking at selling prices now for used models are a good bit higher then what I paid, many over a $1k more.

Some Rolex models now are quite hard to find. SS sports models are nearly impossible to find at authorized dealers now. You can walk into Rolex stores and not see one new stainless sub. I’ve witnessed this myself in Maui last week when I went to a Rolex store, not one new one in stock, they did have some used. New Prices are even going higher now due to this and used are going up now also. There are different theories why Rolex cupboards are bare( supply and demand thing for one) but the fact is prices are rising because of it. If you can find a good used or a new Stainless Rolex at a fair price now is a good time to jump on it. IMO. Good luck and let us know what you finally choose.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 06:58 AM   #4
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

I'm a big Rolex fan, I cannot believe how much they have gone up in value. I bought my Sea Dweller for $3000 24 years ago when my sone was born. I don't know if they will continue to appreciate at the same rate but I know there is a strong collector/used market for them so I suspect you won't lose money, although I can't ever see parting with mine so it's increased value is moot. I wear it almost everyday and it takes a lot of punishment, looks good with jean or formal wear. The one thing to keep in mind is serve, like high end cars they need to have regular maintenance/service. So every 50-10 years I'm out of pocket between $500 and $1000. Happy Hunting, you won't regret it, get your wife one too.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
First I would figure out where you feel comfortable financially buying one. You have a substantial range price wise. The Blanc can be found used for well under 8k and a gold Daytona will usually set you back 30k +, both being used. What’s a pretty wide spread.
Me I’m a Rolex guy. All their models retain their prices very well and a small few appreciate nicely. S/S models are usually the best bets for retaining or appreciating. PM( precious metals) not so much so. Bought my Submariner ND new about 9 years ago and looking at selling prices now for used models are a good bit higher then what I paid, many over a $1k more.

Some Rolex models now are quite hard to find. SS sports models are nearly impossible to find at authorized dealers now. You can walk into Rolex stores and not see one new stainless sub. I’ve witnessed this myself in Maui last week when I went to a Rolex store, not one new one in stock, they did have some used. New Prices are even going higher now due to this and used are going up now also. There are different theories why Rolex cupboards are bare( supply and demand thing for one) but the fact is prices are rising because of it. If you can find a good used or a new Stainless Rolex at a fair price now is a good time to jump on it. IMO. Good luck and let us know what you finally choose.
When I wrote “...kind of amazing a fifty-fathom wouldn’t be a sure investment” I was trying to say they are not an investment and if a watch like that isn’t an investment it says something about a lot of watches, fathoms are excellent diving watches and are an amazing design.

Just to clarify.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      02-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition X-Drive

Garage List
The only precious metal watch in your line up which ‘may’ prove a reasonable investment is the Daytona, but you need to like it, as you’ll be wearing it.

The mad increases in values has not affected precious metal watches, excluding mainly Patek. Most can be bought with a discount.

Investment - get on lists to buy steel sports Rolex. Otherwise, negotiate hard and minimise the loss you will make. A watch is an object and will depreciate.

For clarity, I own a white gold Sky-Dweller. UK Retail £29,100, I paid £23,000 2015. Then discontinued and a steel version launched. Trade would pay me £17,000, while steels are selling over RRP not much less.

Buy what you like - and remember, your wife may also use the internet
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 09:08 AM   #7
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
If yo buy new, those IWC's will be worth 20% less the day you buy them. And those models you are looking at will be very hard to sell. So they are not an investment.

Don't know much about BP.

Precious metal anything will get killed on resale. They don't sell well new and they sell even worse in resale.

The only watches doing well right now are Patek and Rolex sports watches. And that could end at anytime (usually when the market/economy tanks and free money goes away).

Once you get this into your head, buy what you like and forget about resale.
      02-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Yes, buy what you love and let your estate worry about resale someday. AFAIK, only Rolex holds value well enough to be considered an investment, and mostly for the iconic ones (ss subs and daytona).
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep

one last thought...a Blancpain Fifty-Fathom chronograph. If some told me there was such a piece I would say it was a counterfeit. Not really sure what the purpose of a fifty-f Chrono would be.

of the four watches above I like the yellow gold white face IWC perpetual calendar, moon phase - I wish I knew the year and movement # would be interesting to research that watch. ( checked and that might be rose gold, hmmmm )

Is this not cool ? https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ju...th-a-blue-dial

Last edited by overcoil; 02-23-2020 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #10
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

All great responses, thanks!

I typically buy my watches pre-owned. Did really well with 2tone blue sub - paid $5k 9 years ago.

Always wanted a gold Daytona or president on strap until I got into IWC. Hard decision for sure...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #11
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
All great responses, thanks!

I typically buy my watches pre-owned. Did really well with 2tone blue sub - paid $5k 9 years ago.

Always wanted a gold Daytona or president on strap until I got into IWC. Hard decision for sure...
If going used, then you can do OK with IWC. Make sure you look at them in person before buying. I bought a JLC perpetual grand complication and hated it because I could not read any of the tiny little complications. If I were buying something in the price range you are looking at, it would be a used Lange 1 moon in rose gold. I had one and sold it and regret it.
      02-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
If going used, then you can do OK with IWC. Make sure you look at them in person before buying. I bought a JLC perpetual grand complication and hated it because I could not read any of the tiny little complications. If I were buying something in the price range you are looking at, it would be a used Lange 1 moon in rose gold. I had one and sold it and regret it.
No Roger Smith ?

I now realize why blancpain does a diving chronograph...I think they make their own chrono movement, I understand that a bit rare.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #13
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Your best bet is the Daytona for the least depreciation out of those choices. If you want “investment” then get Rolex SS sport model. You should be able to sell it for atleast 80-90% of MSRP and obviously the longer you keep it, the more value it should have if Rolex continues to limit supply.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:27 PM   #14
overcoil
Major General
Rep

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/an...eid=54e9c094f4
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #15
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Never seem to be that lucky
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 05:44 AM   #16
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

On the whole watches are not a great investment. My Daytona may prove to be the only one to actually appreciate. The Rolex shortage is driving up prices and supporting the pre owned market pretty well from what I’ve seen. My friend is in the jewelry business. He’s had great connections until recently.

That being said, The decline in supply sure keeps the prices firm. Ordered a SS w/Oyster band as a graduation gift for this May and I’ve got not guarantee I can get the watch I want exactly by then.

Although prices are firm I cannot see profiting off a watch in general unless you can buy it significantly under market.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #17
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I might be biased but among those watches , my choice would be Daytona albeit it's not the most sought after model in Daytona model line up
      02-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #18
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

If you buy used, and get good prices used, any of those wont lose too much money. If you buy new, youre most likely never going to recoup close to what you pay. The plus side for the daytona new is it will buy you some goodwill with the AD and they might throw you a SS Sport model for MSRP that you can sell for a markup.

Personally, id go with one of the IWC cause im a sucker for complications.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #19
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Buy the watch you love, not the one you think will be a good investment. Who knows where prices will be or if you’ll ever want to sell it. Some become prized collectibles, others are just as good/pretty and depreciate like rocks.
Appreciate 1
twin fed1175.50
      03-03-2020, 06:54 AM   #20
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

It just dawned on me that if you can come across a brand new Sinn limited edition watches at Watch Buys don't hesitate to buy and then sell it on profit just like Wheeler Dealers
Sinn may not have an appealing name as other watch brands but their limited edition watches sell faster than hot cakes
      03-05-2020, 07:28 AM   #21
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I am an IWC fan but Rolex is always a sure bet.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #22
Really_fat_ninja
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Rolex but none of those are investments