New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-31-2020, 11:05 AM   #23
cooolone2
Second Lieutenant
cooolone2's Avatar
216
Rep
287
Posts

Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NY, USA

iTrader: (0)

The fact the Medical Care Professionals are in need of them, does not replace the need by some in the general public.

There are those who are "sensitive" or at a "high" risk for adverse response if exposed to the virus. Hospital are getting their masks, and the reports of hospitals hording as well doesn't help, just as they are hording the Vents and now they've gobbled up all the Anti-Malaria drugs too. So yes, they need them, but so do others. The same Anti-Malaria drugs has other purposes helping those with "Lupus" for example. Anyways...

And the earlier published reports about them (masks) not helping are actually a bit of disinformation designed to keep the hording at Bay. Is counterintuitive that the one way it (Covid-19) is spread is through droplets expelled while breathing, And the CDC has announced it surviving for long durations in the air and on surfaces, but hey, you don't need those masks. Guess all those in the medical field who've gotten infected weren't wearing masks?

I'm one of those who need them (immuno compromised), and had to go to the Post office to mail something I had no choice but to mail. Was a bit of a weary experience...

I have 2 masks left from a box I bought years ago to use when working on the house, sanding, etc., who would've thought this...

So I wore gloves, sprayed the gloves when done, before even taking them off, washed hands when home, etc., etc. Wore the mask, and kept it when done. Is what it is... Otherwise I'm just hunkered down like everyone else, waiting for the storm to pass.

I read about people discarding them in parking lots of shopping centers or stores... So incredibly wasteful and inconsiderate, hard to understand.

Be Safe if you have to go out there!

Edit to add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I agree with this 100%. But how about wearing one in the supermarket if you have a compromised immune system?
If you're compromised, you should look into delivery services or even pick up... Rather than milling about exposing yourself to others unnecessarily. If there is no choice and you are immuno compromised, I would wear gloves and a mask if interacting with the general public. You can save the mask, just exercise care on removal and storage, use Google. Nitrile or latex gloves should be discarded properly. And washing hands is so important, do not skip this step.

Regards

Last edited by cooolone2; 03-31-2020 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
AlexFL1518.00

      03-31-2020, 11:11 AM   #24
smyles
Captain
363
Rep
908
Posts

Drives: X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I agree with this 100%. But how about wearing one in the supermarket if you have a compromised immune system?
Can't help but ask why wouldn't such person wear it every year during flu season, allergy season, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:18 AM   #25
DocL
Second Lieutenant
DocL's Avatar
United_States
313
Rep
210
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: S Fla

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
The fact the Medical Care Professionals are in need of them, does not replace the need by some in the general public.

There are those who are "sensitive" or at a "high" risk for adverse response if exposed to the virus. Hospital are getting their masks, and the reports of hospitals hording as well doesn't help, just as they are hording the Vents and now they've gobbled up all the Anti-Malaria drugs too. So yes, they need them, but so do others. The same Anti-Malaria drugs has other purposes helping those with "Lupus" for example. Anyways...

And the earlier published reports about them (masks) not helping are actually a bit of disinformation designed to keep the hording at Bay. Is counterintuitive that the one way it (Covid-19) is spread is through droplets expelled while breathing, And the CDC has announced it surviving for long durations in the air and on surfaces, but hey, you don't need those masks. Guess all those in the medical field who've gotten infected weren't wearing masks?

I'm one of those who need them (immuno compromised), and had to go to the Post office to mail something I had no choice but to mail. Was a bit of a weary experience...

I have 2 masks left from a box I bought years ago to use when working on the house, sanding, etc., who would've thought this...

So I wore gloves, sprayed the gloves when done, before even taking them off, washed hands when home, etc., etc. Wore the mask, and kept it when done. Is what it is... Otherwise I'm just hunkered down like everyone else, waiting for the storm to pass.

I read about people discarding them in parking lots of shopping centers or stores... So incredibly wasteful and inconsiderate, hard to understand.

Be Safe if you have to go out there!

Edit to add:



If you're compromised, you should look into delivery services or even pick up... Rather than milling about exposing yourself to others unnecessarily. If there is no choice and you are immuno compromised, I would wear gloves and a mask if interacting with the general public. You can save the mask, just exercise care on removal and storage, use Google. Nitrile or latex gloves should be discarded properly. And washing hands is so important, do not skip this step.

Regards
I just wanted your opinion. I'm a dentist and fortunately know the proper infection control procedures.

Your information is helpful for those here who aren't as well versed as you.

Be safe.
__________________
2018 F80 M3. YMB/BLK. ZCP. Three Pedals.
"Education will never be as expensive as ignorance."

Last edited by DocL; 03-31-2020 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #26
DocL
Second Lieutenant
DocL's Avatar
United_States
313
Rep
210
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: S Fla

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Can't help but ask why wouldn't such person wear it every year during flu season, allergy season, etc.?
The flu doesn't seem to be as contagious as this covid19. And most allergies can be controlled by medications.
__________________
2018 F80 M3. YMB/BLK. ZCP. Three Pedals.
"Education will never be as expensive as ignorance."
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:43 AM   #27
smyles
Captain
363
Rep
908
Posts

Drives: X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
The flu doesn't seem to be as contagious as this covid19...
With millions sick every year?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:57 AM   #28
DocL
Second Lieutenant
DocL's Avatar
United_States
313
Rep
210
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: S Fla

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
With millions sick every year?
In a year when all the data has been collaborated I think we'll see the big picture. I was in the camp that this won't be as bad as the Flu in the beginning, however I have changed that belief.
__________________
2018 F80 M3. YMB/BLK. ZCP. Three Pedals.
"Education will never be as expensive as ignorance."
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 12:19 PM   #29
cooolone2
Second Lieutenant
cooolone2's Avatar
216
Rep
287
Posts

Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NY, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Can't help but ask why wouldn't such person wear it every year during flu season, allergy season, etc.?
Probably due to the heightened visibility this virus has brought to the fact that there are some who are more susceptible to the virus, and those with pre-existing health issues that may suffer greater adverse reaction if infected!

Yes, I agree, during the 2017-2018 Flu season, 80,000+ died, 900,000 hospitalized, and estimated 80% infected in the U.S. alone from the Flu. This despite have a vaccine, unfortunately the vaccine only worked on 1/3 of those who recieved it. Coupled with the fact that around only 40% get the vaccine... Well, you can see the issue.

Lastly, the "regular" flu, comparable to Convid-19 is apples to oranges!

Once this Virus passes through its phases and the human genome builds an immunity to it, whether artificially or through natural progression, it will be just another short epitaph in the history of infectious diseases.

But to answer your question... Why are people still going to the beach? Having Corona Parties? Because we all keep these things at arm's length until it happens to them, or someone they love. It's not real, can't happen to me mentality, etc.

I try not to worry about other people and focus on what I can do, to protect myself, and others. I don't focus on things I have no control over (other people).

Regards
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 12:28 PM   #30
smyles
Captain
363
Rep
908
Posts

Drives: X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
..
But to answer your question... Why are people still going to the beach? Having Corona Parties? Because we all keep these things at arm's length until it happens to them, or someone they love. It's not real, can't happen to me mentality, etc.

I try not to worry about other people and focus on what I can do, to protect myself, and others. I don't focus on things I have no control over (other people).
So, if I read you correctly, your decision to use protection this time is due to increased awareness?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #31
infinitekidM2C
Major General
infinitekidM2C's Avatar
United_States
1866
Rep
5,092
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Gloves are more important from what i've heard. That and disinfecting anything you bring home.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 01:14 PM   #32
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
NorthCountryGuy's Avatar
1474
Rep
507
Posts

Drives: M6, E70, E71
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Iím right here...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I agree with this 100%. But how about wearing one in the supermarket if you have a compromised immune system?
I am a 58 yo and have been a well controlled diabetic since my teens. I am in good shape. I am not fearful about working in a busy ED or going to the supermarket. If my defense mechanisms against catching any type of infection were compromised, I wouldnít go to the supermarket or out of my place of residence. Would be like a hemophiliac playing hockey or rugby.
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe Sakhir Orange Metallic / Sakhir Orange \ Black Merino - The Prince
2013 X5 LCI 35i Jet Black / Black SensaTec - The Horse
2013 X5 LCI 35i Space Grey Metallic / Black Nevada // Sport Pkg - Daughterís
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Sonís
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 01:15 PM   #33
aus
Major General
United_States
634
Rep
8,822
Posts

Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountryGuy View Post
You donít need a N95 to go to the supermarket. I donít use one to go to the supermarket. When I intubate a pt. I need a N95. My staff need a N95. We have difficulty getting them. I can think of a few geniused reasons as to why...
Did you get all your cars in 2013 or they just all happened to be 2013 models used??
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 01:24 PM   #34
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
NorthCountryGuy's Avatar
1474
Rep
507
Posts

Drives: M6, E70, E71
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Iím right here...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Did you get all your cars in 2013 or they just all happened to be 2013 models used??
All used as 13ís
First year of the last upgrade for each series (ie E70) so as not to look old looking. Got low mileaged ones. Mint conditioned and all run great. All very inexpensive for what I got. Have a high quality warranty on all of them.
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe Sakhir Orange Metallic / Sakhir Orange \ Black Merino - The Prince
2013 X5 LCI 35i Jet Black / Black SensaTec - The Horse
2013 X5 LCI 35i Space Grey Metallic / Black Nevada // Sport Pkg - Daughterís
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Sonís
Appreciate 2
aus633.50

      03-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #35
qba335i
First Lieutenant
305
Rep
313
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountryGuy View Post
You don't need a N95 to go to the supermarket. I don't use one to go to the supermarket. When I intubate a pt. I need a N95. My staff need a N95. We have difficulty getting them. I can think of a few geniused reasons as to why...
I have many docs in my family and I was advised to wear a mask when I go to the store and change clothes and shower once I get back home.

I got a few reusable N95 masks from Home Depot. At this point you must assume that everyone you see has the virus.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 01:43 PM   #36
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
NorthCountryGuy's Avatar
1474
Rep
507
Posts

Drives: M6, E70, E71
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Iím right here...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qba335i View Post
I have many docs in my family and I was advised to wear a mask when I go to the store and change clothes and shower once I get back home.

I got a few reusable N95 masks from Home Depot. At this point you must assume that everyone you see has the virus.
This is true.
There is a difference in dealing with someone who broke their ankle vs. gasping for air and breathing like a race horse. They’re spewing their water vapor at a higher rate and a higher velocity.
But I consider everyone infected.
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe Sakhir Orange Metallic / Sakhir Orange \ Black Merino - The Prince
2013 X5 LCI 35i Jet Black / Black SensaTec - The Horse
2013 X5 LCI 35i Space Grey Metallic / Black Nevada // Sport Pkg - Daughterís
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Sonís
Appreciate 1
qba335i305.00

      03-31-2020, 02:11 PM   #37
KennyFSU
Second Lieutenant
381
Rep
238
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
CDC is now recommending everyone wear masks when leaving their homes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...a6d_story.html
__________________
Past: E36M3
Present: M235xi/12.9 @ 105 (BMS intake)
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 02:33 PM   #38
smyles
Captain
363
Rep
908
Posts

Drives: X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
CDC is now recommending everyone wear masks when leaving their homes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...a6d_story.html
Ugh, from your own link:

Quote:
Officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are considering altering the official guidance to encourage people to take measures to cover their faces amid the coronavirus pandemic, according to a federal official who spoke on the condition of anonymity
And yes, the infamous anonymous sources. Typical WaPo.
Appreciate 2
DocL312.50
David70840.50

      03-31-2020, 03:00 PM   #39
David70
Colonel
United_States
841
Rep
2,020
Posts

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Can't help but ask why wouldn't such person wear it every year during flu season, allergy season, etc.?
For allergies it can be very useful if mowing or doing other things outside during the height of the allergy season. Depends on how bad of a problem you have and what you will be doing.
__________________
2006 Z4M Coupe - Stromung exhaust, ZHP knob, stubby antenna, clutch delay delete
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:03 PM   #40
ny325
Colonel
United_States
615
Rep
2,937
Posts

Drives: Jet Black E90
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Yankee Stadium

iTrader: (0)

Thereís always someone looking to take advantage during a crisis. Itís so unfortunate, and sad. I believe in karma though.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt7059.00

      03-31-2020, 04:18 PM   #41
Rmtt
Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
7059
Rep
2,080
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
Thereís always someone looking to take advantage during a crisis. Itís so unfortunate, and sad. I believe in karma though.
I agree. Just seen the story of the guy from Brooklyn hoarding 80,000 masks along with tons of other stuff.

They said he had enough supplies to outfit a large hospital. He supposedly was selling them at a 700% markup.

POS in my opinion. I hope he gets a special cell-mate!
__________________
Everybody has a gameplan....until they get punched in the mouth.
Appreciate 2
ny325615.00
TrevorM31769.50

      03-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #42
ny325
Colonel
United_States
615
Rep
2,937
Posts

Drives: Jet Black E90
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Yankee Stadium

iTrader: (0)

A very special cell-mate.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt7059.00

      03-31-2020, 06:27 PM   #43
TrevorM3
Major General
1770
Rep
6,479
Posts

Drives: 6.3 AMG
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Are you a healthcare professional? Otherwise, you donít need one. Save it for those on the frontlines.


Goodness gracious.

THANK YOU.


I had to wear one n95 for 12 hours on saturday. And OP probably wants an n95 to go buy bananas at the grocery store. Ffs, people,
Appreciate 4
DocL312.50
RickFLM44787.50
pz6192332.50

      03-31-2020, 08:20 PM   #44
cooolone2
Second Lieutenant
cooolone2's Avatar
216
Rep
287
Posts

Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NY, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
So, if I read you correctly, your decision to use protection this time is due to increased awareness?
Is there a fundamental issue with your reading comprehension? Or did you miss the part where I've worn gloves and a mask?

Awareness is necessary because obviously there are some people who read what they want to see, and miss completely the message written in words!

Same thing happens when people talk... Most people are not really listening because once they hear what they want to hear, their mind is already formulating a response to what was said and miss completely the content of the conversation. This is a proven fact.

Anyways...

/Back to the TV
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST