New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-28-2009, 04:16 AM   #1
lux good
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i & Q5 2.0 TSFI

Is it just me!!??

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the standard stereo is just fine??
Ok it distorts when turned right up, but even with the roof down mine is absolutely fine.
It aint going to win any prizes for quality at some boy racers convention, blaring out (c)rap music till your ears bleed
However in years to come i will be able to hear my wife nagging at me...while the guys with upgrades with be visiting the doctors complaining of tinitus.

Conclusion : Listen to the beautiful note the car makes instead.....and shoot the wife

Last edited by lux good; 10-28-2009 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux good View Post
Ok it distorts when turned right up, but even with the roof down mine is aboslutely fine.
It aint going to win any prizes for quality at some boy racers convention, blaring out (c)rap music till your ears bleed
However in years to come i will be able to hear my wife nagging at me...while the guys with upgrades with be visiting the doctors complaining of tinitus.

Conclusion : Listen to the beautiful note the car makes instead.....and shoot the wife
Yep...it's just you.

Jokes apart, I've opted for the 'business' system as most seem to complain about the quality of the stock system and mention that it's almost pointless with the roof down.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

I do recommend upgrading! So worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
SquireG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4-SDrive35i

The standard radio blows chunks. On the other hand, 2 grand for the upgraded sound system is way too much and I will live with my standard system and or maybe have an amp installed in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
bingee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Angry

Got to agree....it's just you! I can't believe I spent nearly 60k and am stuck with this lousy stereo. Theres not much you can do either if you are like me and refuse to change the OEM head unit-at least I can't get any answers or solutions to such. I test drove another car with the premium system and found another at a port I had delivered with every option I wanted except the premium stereo. I thought to myself, how much of a difference can the premium stereo be to the standard stereo...WORLDS different!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
rchaas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 SDrive3.5i

Garage List
2009 Z4 35i  [0.00]
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
I'm with the original poster. I think the stock system sounds fine with the top up, especially playing my ipod.

With top down, its somewhat inadequate, but there is just too much background noise to really enjoy any music in a serious fashion anyway! So for spirited top down motoring, I let the engine sing. With the top up, i am fine with it.

R
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

with the top up and cd or ipod it is okay - with radio or top down it is inadequate
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
DrJason
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
with the top up and cd or ipod it is okay - with radio or top down it is inadequate
agreed (I would add top down at low speed it is ok)

I have the HD radio which is also ok
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
I only ever listen to the radio anyway, so the standard stereo is fine for me. I did fiddle around with the bass and treble settings quite a bit after I got the car and now it sounds fine with the roof on or off Can't see the roof being off again till around..... next April
      10-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchaas View Post
With top down, its somewhat inadequate, but there is just too much background noise to really enjoy any music in a serious fashion anyway! So for spirited top down motoring, I let the engine sing. With the top up, i am fine with it.

R
Yep, completely agree.
      10-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

It's crap!

As someone who has to listen to music and produce it, I actually like a boggo standard system to get a sense of the real world for production and mixes but this stereo is very poor in the volume department.

As soon as I turn it up and the loud bits kick in the volume drops right away. Seems to be some sort of digital limiting to stop the amp clipping and sending a clipped signal to the speakers.

The rear speakers may as well not exist either.

I didn't think it would be great but not this bad. I honestly thought it would at least be something half decent. As I say I like a fairly standard set up for the already mentioned reasons but even my wifes old Micra had a better sound set up and the standard system in my cheaply made Celica was vastly superior.

I feel a bit short changed on this to be honest. Though my wifes new
Msport badge nonsense 1 series has a rather poor stereo as well. Seems to be a BMW cost exercise and a way of selling extra kit.

Santa better be nice this year.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Ok it distorts when turned right up, but even with the roof down mine is absolutely fine.

Well after I ordered my car and it finally came in I was a bit hesitant to walk in and see it because I did not order the premium sound. For that much, I felt that is better money spent on a new home theatre system. But after I gave it a shot, and driving it with top down and playing a concert DVD, the non-premium isn't so bad after all. I am happy I saved the extra $$. I am quite happy and with it using my iPod both top up or down. No need to go deaf loud.
      10-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
uslic001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 s35i Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
I only ever listen to the radio anyway, so the standard stereo is fine for me. I did fiddle around with the bass and treble settings quite a bit after I got the car and now it sounds fine with the roof on or off Can't see the roof being off again till around..... next April
Sorry to hear you will have the top up till April. I got to drive with my top down last night at 8pm with a beautiful moon out and it was wonderful.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Yes

It is definitely just you.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
lux good
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
It is definitely just you.

Don't think so...seems to be split on this.
I think the younger ones aren't happy with the std system, maybe i'm in the 'more mature' category....!!??

Maybe i'm missing something here, as i only listen to my ipod....is the radio that much worse??
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #16
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Quote:

Maybe i'm missing something here, as i only listen to my ipod....is the radio that much worse??
Funny you should say that. When I asked my dealer to show me a car with an upgraded stereo system, he mumbled some comment about the stereo not sounding as good as with CD etc. I simply dismissed it at the time thinking that he was pointing out the obvious; FM quality will never be as good as CD.

But perhaps there was more to it? Seems that lots are complaining about the stock stereo, especially when they listen to the radio. Could it be that the radio in the stock stereo is particularly poor, where as listening to CD or MPG files is fine?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #17
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X1 35i M-sport

What kills me is people bitching about the upgraded sound system. I have the premium sound and think that it's awesome, and well worth the money (and I've built MANY very high end systems). Yes, you could build better, but you can't integrate better...

Prev: 09 Z4 35i Black w/white napa leather & every option possible =)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #18
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't think so...seems to be split on this.
I think the younger ones aren't happy with the std system, maybe i'm in the 'more mature' category....!!??

Split? How are your calculating a split? No one responded and said the base stereo was acceptable with both the top up or down and playing any one of the stereo, iPod or CD.

Play the radio going 60-75 mph and then report back to us and let us know what you think.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #19
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:

Last edited by Memphis1; 10-30-2009 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 04:17 AM   #20
lux good
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
sorry, don't know how to embed videos.

Haha.....brilliant!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 04:23 AM   #21
lux good
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Split? How are your calculating a split? No one responded and said the base stereo was acceptable with both the top up or down and playing any one of the stereo, iPod or CD.

Play the radio going 60-75 mph and then report back to us and let us know what you think.
Read 'em again, seems that there are some of us that think it's fine!!??
Like i said i do really have the ipod on so that looks like it's not as bad as the radio. When i've had the foof down on the motorway doing 80mph i can still hear the music...ok it's not fantastic, but my piont is the standard system is adequate if you don't want bleeding ears!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #22
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Read 'em again, seems that there are some of us that think it's fine!!??
Like i said i do really have the ipod on so that looks like it's not as bad as the radio. When i've had the foof down on the motorway doing 80mph i can still hear the music...ok it's not fantastic, but my piont is the standard system is adequate if you don't want bleeding ears!!

Split/no split/majorty/minority Either way, the only opinion that matters to me is my own. The standard system sucks. If it were satisfactory, we would't have posts where people are griping about it. The standard system is not doing it for me. I will soon get an amp.

But I do enjoy the satisfaction of not having paid BMW $2000 for the premium system. Not to diminish anyone that has the premium system. It's all about what each of us is willing to pay for each option.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 10-30-2009 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0