New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-27-2018, 04:18 AM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Go w/ OEM or aftermarket struts and brakes?

So I was hit with a MASSIVE estimate, my front struts are leaking, I guess due to hitting too many severe potholes, tech recommends changing the rear shocks as well. My brake pads and rotors are at the bare minimum and need replacing also, all 4 are worn. I'm looking at over $5K including tax.

Did anyone do these jobs and have any advice (keep using OEM or recommended aftermarket brands/parts)? I'm over 200,000kms (~124,000 miles) and these are my original brakes/struts/shocks [did I get good life out of them?]. TY.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

I have only tried Koni FSD dampers, and like them over worn OEMs with stock springs. I would say that any variable frequency damper should be on your short list. But they need to be Z4 e89 N54 specific of course.

As for brakes it depends on your application. For light track use you can go far with stock rotors, performance pads and performance brake fluid assuming you get EUR rotors in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
I have only tried Koni FSD dampers, and like them over worn OEMs with stock springs. I would say that any variable frequency damper should be on your short list. But they need to be Z4 e89 N54 specific of course.

As for brakes it depends on your application. For light track use you can go far with stock rotors, performance pads and performance brake fluid assuming you get EUR rotors in Canada.
Tx, I'm not well-versed at all in this area. It's my only car/daily, and no track use. So should I just stick w/ OEMs or are there better yet comparably-priced alternatives? Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 10:52 PM   #4
ray7792
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 35is

For brake pads and rotors, I would definitely not go with OEM. There are many options out there that are cheaper and better than OEMs. Tire rack is a good place to start to check your options, there are many.
No need to get fancy with big brake kits, slotted, or drilled rotors for street applications, it'll just be for aesthetics. Get a pad that is designed to keep noise and dust minimum while working well in cold temps.

If you want to keep the adaptive suspension then you'd need to get the OEM ones. Otherwise get a good aftermarket coilover like KWs, bilstein, H&R, etc. However, with an aftermarket one you'll need to do the EDC (electronic damping control) delete else you'll get an error code. All coilovers are adjustable, so you can keep it at stock height and keep the damping on the softest setting. Although it will be more firm than OEM. Just because a suspension has a higher spring rate and is more firm does not mean it is less comfortable. Stiffer + better damping > soft ride + crappy damping.
But honestly if you don't want to deal with all that stuff like EDC delete, height adjustments, and manual damping adjustments, I would just get the OEMs

my 2 cents, best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Actually high quality coilovers - Ohlins or KW - will ride better than stock, while handling better, IMHO.

Filippo
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 03:05 AM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorelli View Post
Actually high quality coilovers - Ohlins or KW - will ride better than stock, while handling better, IMHO.

Filippo
Are they more $$$$$$? Any links? Tx.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #7
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Are they more $$$$$$? Any links? Tx.
These guys just installed my Ohlins. They specialize in BMW.

Filippo

https://3dmmotorsport.com/collection...road-and-track
      05-30-2018, 11:37 PM   #8
fran_br
Rep
Drives: FF z4 e89

I recommend the ohlins too. You will get the EDC error when you start the car but is the only bad thing. For the brakes.. for a normal use i like OEM.

Regards!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:41 AM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Whoa, USD2570, for 2 struts and 2 shocks? The OEMs are just CAD1572. I dunno if it's worth it for me as I don't track.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Anyway, does it make sense that total cost will be around CAD5,000 (about USD3,900) to have all my suspension and brakes replaced?

I'm confused about the brakes part....Should it just be the old pads replaced...Why do I have to replace everything?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Bump for help pls. tx.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran_br View Post
I recommend the ohlins too. You will get the EDC error when you start the car but is the only bad thing. For the brakes.. for a normal use i like OEM.

Regards!
There are two choices on the errors - spend $$$ on the cancellation units, or just have it coded out remotely. For the latter, there are plenty of people that will remotely code your bmw. You just need a K+DCAN cable, and a Windows machine with Teamviewer installed. When they code your car, you can also have other programmable items done at the same time ...

The programming is cheaper than buying the cancellation units. Just note that you don't want to go to the dealer and get complete software updates, as that will erase the programming. So ... if you decide to go do the programming route, and you have a later model car, suggest you go to BMW and get the latest updates, then have the programming done.

Filippo