New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Water leaking into trunk well! #$#!%^#%

This thread was originally about me asking why my toolkit got all rusty...well, this was because it was stored in its usual location next to the battery at the base of the trunk and somehow my car developed a leak so that rainwater would accumulate into the trunk well instead of just falling down harmlessly onto the ground. (What a STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID design.)

Anyway, if you guys experienced this and have solutions, please lemme know. For the record, I 'think' my leak comes from water falling from the rear wall of the trunk; I don't think any of my visible trims are cracked.

EDIT:
So I found out the cause of the corroded tools was cuz the toolkit was sitting on some stagnant water trapped in the area behind the battery bay at the bottom of the trunk. I guess it's from sitting outside when it rains and somehow water is leaking in: the rest of the trunk is not wet so I think it may be seeping in behind the panels. Any help where and how I can plug up all the potential prb areas? I didn't see any damage in the seals lining the trunk lid.

(original)
So I checked my toolkit which is always stored in usual place in the trunk underneath the floor panel/near the battery and I guess it rusted due to accumulating some condensation? over the winter? Just wondering what can be done to fix it/make it look better?
Attached Images

Last edited by tranquility; 05-05-2023 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 05:29 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Buy new ones from dealer?

Shouldnt be expensive.. for sure cheaper than to sandblast and paint the old ones...

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E8...ack/#7184971_2

Moisture does corrode stuff in the boot... when you open it while raining it rains in and so on...

Years ago i had an issue where my third brake light on the boot lid had 3 of its right side LED-s constantly on... while driving and while parked all night.
Electrician found that bootlid harness plug connectors had corroded and voltage was somehow arking to the brakelight wiring, enough to light up 3 led-s but not the whole brake light. Cleaned the connectors and has been working perfectly since. Plug connection is under the boot floor in the rear side of the car... right where rain can get easily in when lid is opened.
      09-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Ok, as an update, I found out that the base of my trunk has been holding some water and it's still there even though it's summer! So that's why my tools have been rusted or whatever. Is the trunk some sort of freaking insulator cuz the water retention is off-the-charts!

Anyway, I've been stuffing napkins in the hole where the toolkit goes (next to the battery) and have been constantly changing out new ones since the water is non-stop! I know that some snow might've fell into the trunk during the past winter but still, seems like a crazy amount of water. Any better solution or suggestions, I dunno how comfortable I feel about removing stuff from/disassembling the trunk.

Knock wood, luckily besides the rusted tools, I don't think any other damage has occurred, but should I be on the lookout for something?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:36 AM   #4
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

This problem has been discussed on the other forum.
When you lift the boot, the rubber seal that runs across the back, the ends have bits of rubber held down by screws. The sealant under those can dry out and allow water in boot. BMW use some kind of mastic that looks like chewing gum.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 03:46 AM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
This problem has been discussed on the other forum.
When you lift the boot, the rubber seal that runs across the back, the ends have bits of rubber held down by screws. The sealant under those can dry out and allow water in boot. BMW use some kind of mastic that looks like chewing gum.
Is this the thread?
https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthr...water+in+trunk

I'll need to ask them there. Tx.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

So I found out the cause was that the toolkit was sitting on some stagnant water trapped in area behind the battery bay at the bottom of the trunk. I guess it's from sitting outside when it rains and somehow water is leaking in: the rest of the trunk is not wet so I think it may be seeping in behind the panels. Any help where and how I can plug up all the potential prb areas? I didn't see any damage in the seals lining the trunk lid.

Last edited by tranquility; 09-25-2021 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Bump to see if any help.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 02:24 PM   #8
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77478
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2021, 05:46 PM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
Tx for the link. I read through all of it but unfortunately only got some clues, some of the pix don't show up and there seems to be many pts of entry where the water could come in.

Anyway, I put some towels to hopefully find out where the water is coming from.

I'm surprised no one else on this board has this prb and can give pointers, darn.

What a stupid design, how hard can it be to keep water out, esp in such a hidden space? That's just asking for trouble, not to mention the ppl bringing up this prb to the techs and they still can't figure it out. Guess this really is a diy/'if you want something done right, gotta do it yourself' kinda deals.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 05:15 AM   #10
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

I actually went and inspected my trunk because of this thread... car stood in the rain for a couple of days aswell giving enough of opportunity for the water to get in.... but nothing... Mine is totally dry which is suprising as my car is rather old early production from 09... would think that seals would start to go, give away and so on.

Last edited by KennyP; 09-28-2021 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 12:07 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
I actually went and inspected my trunk because of this thread... car stood in the rain for a couple of days aswell giving enough of opportunity for the water to get in.... but nothing... Mine is totally dry which is suprising as my car is rather old early prodution from 09... would think that seals would start go give away and so on.
That's the thing, this prb is kinda misleading because it supposedly takes a MASSIVE downpour for the water to seep in. A reg rainfall supposedly is ok, not to mention when techs were told of this specific prb, they went about their sleuthing and presumably started spraying and still couldn't find the prb area themselves.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:46 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

So I tested for where the water could be coming in, lining the hydraulic pump area w different cloths and the blue ones were dry but the yellow ones which are facing the back of the car were moist, so I believe water is coming in from the rearlight casing thereabouts.

The annoying thing is BMW probably knew this was a potential prb since the pump is elevated a bit from the floor so unless the water accumulation is really high, it shouldn't touch and mess w the electrical or whatnot. Still, it's worrying now that I finally know about this issue, but luckily it never affected the car in any way *knock wood*.

Any ideas what to do? In the meantime I'm just putting cloths touching the floor to soak up and wring it everytime it gets wet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #13
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 03-03-2024 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 06:06 PM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

I wish there were pictures, unfortunately I can't follow lol. Tx for the tip though, I replaced the rear right light before but don't think I put it back incorrectly....also replaced the rear brake and reverse lights which were through panels iirc? so I don't think that could be a potential cause?

Funny how the rear right light died, and that is supposedly a symptom of a flooded compartment? I dunno but I definitely need to do more sleuthing.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 03:38 AM   #15
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Bump to see if anyone has a better idea of where exactly the leak prb is located and solutions?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 08:07 PM   #16
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

I got the same issue. 2010 model.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 08:08 PM   #17
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiZ4 View Post
Another source of water are old, damaged rear ventilation flaps on both sides of the trunk. These are mounted from the outside behind the rear bumper and should get renewed, if you have a 2009 or 2010 model.
Robbi, how can I check if the flaps are damaged ? From the inside of the trunk or from the outside ? Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 12:34 AM   #18
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

I've stated in another thread that I believe that the water is coming in from the rear wall but I can't figure out how exactly.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 07:09 AM   #19
javis20
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 3.0i Silver

My leak was coming from a torn boot seal. see here.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #20
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

^Tx, I saw that video before but I think my seals there are ok, so I'm still wondering where the water is coming from.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 12:42 PM   #21
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
^Tx, I saw that video before but I think my seals there are ok, so I'm still wondering where the water is coming from.
Look at this…the rear trunk vents are a problem area…

https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthr...1571712&page=3
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2022, 01:27 PM   #22
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
Look at this…the rear trunk vents are a problem area…

https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthr...1571712&page=3
Tx, this is getting too complicated for me unless someone posted how exactly to dissemble and pinpoint the prb areas. I guess I didn't think these potential prbs through when I got the Z4 as my only car lol. Knock wood, the roof is still fine. For the moment, I'm just gonna keep trying to stuff the rear area and also the base of the floor w rags and periodically dry them out.
Appreciate 0