New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-21-2023, 02:14 AM   #111
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Did you see the video of a Tesla causing an 8 car 9 injury pile-up while in full self drive? Full self drive is a disaster.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/...td-gr-orig.cnn

or

https://theintercept.com/2023/01/10/...age-autopilot/
HIGHWAY SURVEILLANCE FOOTAGE from Thanksgiving Day shows a Tesla Model S vehicle changing lanes and then abruptly braking in the far-left lane of the San Francisco Bay Bridge, resulting in an eight-vehicle crash. The crash injured nine people, including a 2-year-old child, and blocked traffic on the bridge for over an hour.

Lots of other sources for the same video/info if you don't like those links.
"Musk has said Tesla’s problematic autopilot features are “really the difference between Tesla being worth a lot of money or worth basically zero.”"

i'd like to go further. remember someone called Elizabeth Holmes? either make her a billionaire or make a billionaire go to jail. i don't understand the double standards.
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1605.00
      01-21-2023, 05:17 AM   #112
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Why do you always try to gaslight me? Never said anything about going back to ICE or future of EV. I am just here for the arrogance of EV owners thinking their appliances are the end all be all.

Good your back! Most of us are still on the fence if you are just a barely sentient drone or a Chat GPT bot, we need more data before we can come to a conclusion so thank you for joining the conversation again.

Hmm, see I am siding on the Chat GPT bot side again when you say something so inane as "No one really gives a shit about modifying their car. Especially in today's time" It only takes a few seconds to find there was over 12 BILLION is aftermarket mods sold in 2021 alone (2022 numbers not out yet). I dunno chief, 12 billion sure seems like quite a few nobody's are still interested in modding their rides, receipts below.

Pushing a F32 to beat a Model 3 is not going blow the engine, sorry to burst your bubble and I don't have a F, just an old E70 5500lb tank with 186k miles original engine in it and as I mentioned before, I end up racing at least two Model 3 P's per week there are so many out here and we are ALWAYS dead even with from a light and on the freeway I start walking them at 80. Model 3 P's start sucking after 80. Truth be told I am getting bored of racing them, it always turns out the same since you can do NOTHING to make it faster unless you want to toss your seats. Bummer. Hey how is the performance of a EV after 10 years and 185k miles? How long are those packs rated for again?
(apologies in advance for grammars if you are sentient, testing to see if it throws off your algorithm)
So wait, you have a problem with teslas it seems, not EV's LOL.

I'm not a tesla fanboy. I have one because it's the best EV you can buy today, PERIOD. No ifs ands or buts about it. That's why the model 3/Y are the best selling EV's you can buy today.

As i said in the past, car makers will catch up but not now. I said 5-8 years. Maybe closer to 5 if car makers can do what tesla is doing in terms of performance, for the price they offer, for the network that backs them up. Until this happens, tesla is the front runner and will be for a long time.

The other shit you're talking about isn't relevant. Most people, and especially me, don't give 2 shits about what you're modifying on your F32. It's an old ass platform that NEEDS TO BE MODIFIED to beat a model 3 performance driven by some nerdy 20 year tech guy. The fact you have to justify mods to beat a "soulless EV" is nothing short of laughable.

You do realize as time moves foward your argument turns to shit right? Like i'm not sure if you're understanding this. If this EV movement was a myth, we're on an even playing field.

But this is happening before our eyes and there's really nothing you can say that sides with your argument.

You're basically just whining at this point about this whole EV thing.

That's pretty amusing too.
      01-21-2023, 06:22 AM   #113
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
So wait, you have a problem with teslas it seems, not EV's LOL.

I'm not a tesla fanboy. I have one because it's the best EV you can buy today, PERIOD. No ifs ands or buts about it. That's why the model 3/Y are the best selling EV's you can buy today.

As i said in the past, car makers will catch up but not now. I said 5-8 years. Maybe closer to 5 if car makers can do what tesla is doing in terms of performance, for the price they offer, for the network that backs them up. Until this happens, tesla is the front runner and will be for a long time.

The other shit you're talking about isn't relevant. Most people, and especially me, don't give 2 shits about what you're modifying on your F32. It's an old ass platform that NEEDS TO BE MODIFIED to beat a model 3 performance driven by some nerdy 20 year tech guy. The fact you have to justify mods to beat a "soulless EV" is nothing short of laughable.

You do realize as time moves foward your argument turns to shit right? Like i'm not sure if you're understanding this. If this EV movement was a myth, we're on an even playing field.

But this is happening before our eyes and there's really nothing you can say that sides with your argument.

You're basically just whining at this point about this whole EV thing.

That's pretty amusing too.
I have a quick question. Please be honest. Where do you think EV would be, with the exception of Tesla of course, if all world governments backed off and pulled their influence off of it? Do you think EV production would significantly increase or do you think it would slowly die by the wayside with the exception of some cool, niche markets, like Tesla, and maybe others that came in to try to grab some EV enthusiasts attention?

I would bet everything I own it would die. Gone. I also think auto manufactures, once again with the exception of Tesla and others that wanted to grab the EV enthusiasts, would all celebrate and go back to mostly, if not all ice. This is a government driven business. Kind of like the vaccination. I sell products too bro. I would love nothing more then for every EU country to mandate every home own one of my products.

Tesla may go faster 0 to 60 but I will beat you from Miami to Seattle in a straight up race in a 1969 Camaro. Do you want to try?
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17393.00
________4160.00
      01-21-2023, 06:34 AM   #114
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I have a quick question. Please be honest. Where do you think EV would be, with the exception of Tesla of course, if all world governments backed off and pulled their influence off of it? Do you think EV production would significantly increase or do you think it would slowly die by the wayside with the exception of some cool, niche markets, like Tesla, and maybe others that came in to try to grab some EV enthusiasts attention?

I would bet everything I own it would die. Gone. I also think auto manufactures, once again with the exception of Tesla and others that wanted to grab the EV enthusiasts, would all celebrate and go back to mostly, if not all ice. This is a government driven business. Kind of like the vaccination. I sell products too bro. I would love nothing more then for every EU country to mandate every home own one of my products.

Tesla may go faster 0 to 60 but I will beat you from Miami to Seattle in a straight up race in a 1969 Camaro. Do you want to try?
I don’t talk about politics. Has nothing to do with that.

Judge what we’re experiencing. We’re already in the transition. Doesn’t matter if it’s premature or not, or worse for the environment or not.

I like ev so I don’t mind this. If you guys don’t that’s fine. You’re entitled to hate this. But what can you do about it? NOTHING. Like literally nothing. You can boycott an ev purchase for sure but then you’re stuck with something used ice when they officially ban new car sales on that date.

Is your 69 camaro stock? I’ll take that bet. You’ll lose big time. From low mpg, definite breakdowns because it’s an old ass car, definitely I’ll take that bet.
      01-21-2023, 06:46 AM   #115
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don’t talk about politics. Has nothing to do with that.

Judge what we’re experiencing. We’re already in the transition. Doesn’t matter if it’s premature or not, or worse for the environment or not.

I like ev so I don’t mind this. If you guys don’t that’s fine. You’re entitled to hate this. But what can you do about it? NOTHING. Like literally nothing. You can boycott an ev purchase for sure but then you’re stuck with something used ice when they officially ban new car sales on that date.

Is your 69 camaro stock? I’ll take that bet. You’ll lose big time. From low mpg, definite breakdowns because it’s an old ass car, definitely I’ll take that bet.
I’m not discussing politics either. Don’t put that on me. You are completely ignoring my point. You’re just going with, “well since government already did this. It’s too late.” Then you accuse me of hating it? That’s a total lie. I love Tesla. I don’t like the cars personally because I think they’re ugly but I love Elon musk, and the company he has created. It’s awesome. Pure capitalism. he created a product that drew interest and people came to it and purchased it. Very simple. Economics and capitalism 101.

Address what I asked you. Without government(s) would EV be taking off? I don’t wanna hear that’s irrelevant because it already happened. A simple yes or no answer will suffice and then we can continue the conversation from there. because even know this is being forced on us, I still guarantee the infrastructure and technology won’t keep up and the people are going to be pissed off about it and force the change back to mostly hybrid and ICE vehicles.

There’s no way I would lose that race. You’d have to stop for an hour and a half every time to recharge your car and I would just fill up with gas in three minutes. I would beat you by a day.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17393.00
      01-21-2023, 07:13 AM   #116
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
20-80% doesn’t take 1.5 hours. Just goes to show you don’t know anything about ev.

My last session was 32 minutes. Which, if you’re road tripping, isn’t far off from your usual, going to the bathroom, stretching with the kids, getting snacks and other misc shit. You’ll be out of a pit stop in 20 minutes to my 32 minutes.

You’ll still break down and I’ll win the road trip race.

You lost the argument before you started. Let me know how you’re doing in 5 years time.
      01-21-2023, 07:20 AM   #117
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
20-80% doesn’t take 1.5 hours. Just goes to show you don’t know anything about ev.

My last session was 32 minutes. Which, if you’re road tripping, isn’t far off from your usual, going to the bathroom, stretching with the kids, getting snacks and other misc shit. You’ll be out of a pit stop in 20 minutes to my 32 minutes.

You lost the argument before you started. Let me know how you’re doing in 5 years time.
I drive 40,000 miles a year from my work. There’s a gas station every 15 feet. There are no charging stations. I fully understand EV. I’ve looked into them. There’s no need to hurl insults. No one stops for 30 minutes for a bathroom break. Ever. Even when I went on family trips with dogs, we managed a 10 minute turnaround with fueling, grabbing food, walking the dog and hitting the restrooms. That was a good college try though. The only point you have is the Camaro might break down. Lol. That’s true. But assuming it doesn’t I would still beat you by a day from Miami to Seattle.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17393.00
________4160.00
      01-21-2023, 07:32 AM   #118
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
There’s superchargers everywhere. You’re reaching with your aimless argument.

And I’m even entertaining your road trip example. And you picked a 69 camaro to debate with lmaoooo. You’ll lose the road trip race. I been on road trips. Even with just me and one other person. After 3 hours of driving you’re NOT only taking 10 minutes at a rest stop lol. 20 minutes is average. Not to mention your fatigue while driving 3 hours at a time.

Meanwhile I have autopilot, which I have used, and that takes away a lot of the fatigue you’ll have when driving for a long period of time.

Again where’s the news stating ev is done? Oh wait it’s not. It’s moving faster with each year that passes.

Let’s talk in 1 year increments and I’ll check up on you in 5 years see how you’re doing. Don’t be depressed, because what you hate will come.
      01-21-2023, 08:00 AM   #119
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There’s superchargers everywhere. You’re reaching with your aimless argument.

And I’m even entertaining your road trip example. And you picked a 69 camaro to debate with lmaoooo. You’ll lose the road trip race. I been on road trips. Even with just me and one other person. After 3 hours of driving you’re NOT only taking 10 minutes at a rest stop lol. 20 minutes is average. Not to mention your fatigue while driving 3 hours at a time.

Meanwhile I have autopilot, which I have used, and that takes away a lot of the fatigue you’ll have when driving for a long period of time.

Again where’s the news stating ev is done? Oh wait it’s not. It’s moving faster with each year that passes.

Let’s talk in 1 year increments and I’ll check up on you in 5 years see how you’re doing. Don’t be depressed, because what you hate will come.
Somewhere along the line you missed what I said. I drive 40,000 miles a year. I drive eight hours straight like it’s nothing. I stop twice to fuel and take a leak. Each stop is less than seven minutes. This argument is pointless. You’ve also somehow forgotten that this is all about EV never having a chance if the government didn’t force it on people. That’s what this conversation is really about. It’s being mandated by governments. Not just subsidized. Mandated. You seem to be OK with that. I am not.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17393.00
________4160.00
      01-21-2023, 08:06 AM   #120
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
And there’s the politics lol.

Your example for ev usage is so far fetched I totally get why you used it even though I shot it down. It’s all you have.

But even if that’s the ev number one flaw, the inability to go cross country lmaooooo, as if people are going to buy ev’s for that purpose, that will only get better with time.

And time isn’t on your side. This transition is happening now, and will continue.

Idk how come you can’t understand that.
      01-21-2023, 08:11 AM   #121
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
And there’s the politics lol.

Your example for ev usage is so far fetched I totally get why you used it even though I shot it down. It’s all you have.

But even if that’s the ev number one flaw, the inability to go cross country lmaooooo, as if people are going to buy ev’s for that purpose, that will only get better with time.

And time isn’t on your side. This transition is happening now, and will continue.

Idk how come you can’t understand that.
Sorry if it hurt your feelings. It’s not politics it’s reality. I didn’t mention a politicians name. So if I tell you a state government sets the speed limit are you going to accuse me of being political? Do you see how ridiculous your comment is? State and federal governments do set the speed limits. That’s a fact. It’s not political. The transition is definitely happening now because it’s being forced on companies and citizens of countries by its government(s). Once again, that’s not political it’s a fact. If that bothers you too bad. It’s not just being subsidized it’s being made into law. Without that we wouldn’t even be having this conversation. Do you know why? Because this transition wouldn’t be happening.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 08:14 AM   #122
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
You just said you weren’t talking about politics yet you just spewed a whole political outburst.

Congrats on your defeat. See you in the ev world pretty soon.
      01-21-2023, 08:23 AM   #123
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Sheesh you two.
Appreciate 3
BGM-M3COMP2329.50
________4160.00
kyriian886.00
      01-21-2023, 08:30 AM   #124
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Sheesh you two.

I don’t care really lol. These people do.

I have a tesla so I’m ok with this. They’ll accept reality soon.
      01-21-2023, 08:45 AM   #125
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don’t care really lol. These people do.

I have a tesla so I’m ok with this. They’ll accept reality soon.
Just out of curiosity. Are there any other products that you feel government should pass laws, force on people and therefore pick favorites? Perhaps you could make out a list and share it with us. We know you how feel that way about electric vehicles. Any others?
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17393.00
      01-21-2023, 08:57 AM   #126
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Just out of curiosity. Are there any other products that you feel government should pass laws, force on people and therefore pick favorites? Perhaps you could make out a list and share it with us. We know you how feel that way about electric vehicles. Any others?
A good point, we are swamped with government regulations but this one seems to be over reach. I suspect as governments get emboldened with this they will take further steps to "improve" out lives.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17393.00
      01-21-2023, 09:12 AM   #127
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I thank god I’m still able to get something like a supercar beast, a c8z.

I have a plaid coming. I have both sides covered.

This isn’t difficult to accept. Not sure why you’re having a hard time with this. You have your chance to make a change next election.
      01-21-2023, 09:56 AM   #128
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
A good point, we are swamped with government regulations but this one seems to be over reach. I suspect as governments get emboldened with this they will take further steps to "improve" out lives.
Being run by a den of thieves and not the Milken variety.

"The Pentagon failed a fifth consecutive audit in November, when it could only account for 39 percent of its $3.5 trillion in assets. Nevertheless, the military received $858 billion—a 10 percent budget increase—in the omnibus bill passed late last year."

Some wealthy ass Ukrainians...with a percentage looped back to select Americans.
Anyone denying this can certainly post facts contradicting the theft. Where did/does it actually go?

So sick of ALL the crookedness. Party be damned.
You or I turn in 39% and we'd be under the jail.

Last edited by gonzo; 01-21-2023 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Where, not were
Appreciate 4
Patton2502939.50
Efthreeoh17393.00
Schn3ll480.50
      01-21-2023, 10:02 AM   #129
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I thank god I’m still able to get something like a supercar beast, a c8z.

I have a plaid coming. I have both sides covered.

This isn’t difficult to accept. Not sure why you’re having a hard time with this. You have your chance to make a change next election.
I don’t vote in Germany. Otherwise I would. I still wish you would address the questions I’ve asked you, but you seem to skirt around them and I totally understand because there’s no way for you to address them. You support the interference and favoritism. I got it.

As I’ve said, before, I have no problem with electric vehicles. I think they’re cool. I love how fast they are. I’m pretty bummed out that every Tesla is ugly as hell and most other EV’s are ugly also but that will probably change over time. I’ll consider getting an electric vehicle for my wife who currently drives an X3 for her next car. I like BMWs Xi. SUV. Pretty fast and good looking. Yes I know you guys don’t like the grille but I do. Those must be in pretty high demand because my dealership tells me it’s a one-year wait for the SUV.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 10:10 AM   #130
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Your questions have zero relevance to my point. You’re asking them because you know you’re failing to be successful in this debate.

You just said it yourself you’re not talking about politics but want me to give you my piece on your political assumptions.

I’ll help you out. I don’t care at all of ev is better or worse for the environment. That’s not why I have one and that’s not the reason why I accept this.

I like the idea of it because this is automotive evolution.
      01-21-2023, 10:12 AM   #131
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:

Then there are those of us with no kids & 5 minutes for fuel boom back on the road. Maybe 10 if bathroom break. EV still takes more effort & time regardless is the point.

One thing none of us can ever buy or get back is TIME.

Also, your sig is clearly you looking for attention. Good day
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17393.00
      01-21-2023, 10:13 AM   #132
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Until recently, my wife and I used to road trip at least twice a year, sometime three trips just for recereation. We still on occasion take a 12-hour day trip into the excellent roads that make West Virgina being on the map. End of July 2022 we ripped off an 11-hour day in my new Bronco on the 2nd day I owned it.

Way back in the day we owned a Jeep YJ, and a stripper below the Trim level S. Heat, no AC, canvas top, solid axle up front on leaf springs. Seats were very comfortable. I could easily rip off 8 - 10 hour days in the YJ stopping only for gas and a Miky D's run. Motorcycle runs across the USA, trips South and North, all on top of driving 800 miles per week commuting to my office. We've never stopped for 30 minutes to refuel.

The point is, when people are driving "to get some place" beyond a 300-mile EV range limit and trying to get some place, they do not stop for half an hour to refuel, stretch, eat, blah, blah, blah. They rip off as many miles in the shortest period of time.

I have a past work colleague/friend, Paul, who is a car guy and a big Tesla proponent and owns a Model Y. He and his wife routinely road trip in the mid-Atlantic from Northern Virginia to Southern Virginia and South Carolina to visit his kids. He has explained to me how road tripping in a Tesla works. He's also a GA pilot, so he's programmed to accept fuel limitations and expert on trip planning tied to fuel range; so trip planning is square in the center of his wheelhouse. With the travel destination programmed into Tesla's charging network the network does the recharge planning for you. Tesla's network plans the stops along the pre-determined route and based on the driver chosen parameters of when and how he wants to stop and refuel. Paul says the best recharging plan (meaning shortest recharging time) is to recharge the battery when it reaches 50% state of charge (SOC). At 50% SOC the battery can accept a higher average rate of recharge (to get to 80%), which shortens the time sitting to recharge. Tesla's trip planning knows where and when and at what charger you are going to stop at, so the trip-planning integration function begins to condition the battery (i.e. optimizes the battery temperature) a head of time for the fastest recharge rate based on the battery's SOC when the car arrives at the Tesla charger location. Neat shit! So, for a 700-mile trip as an example, instead of stopping twice at 250-mile increments, Paul will stop three times (at 175 miles increments) with shorter recharging times, thus making the cumulative recharge time for the 700-mile trip shorter. The Tesla network keeps track of your trip as you travel and compensates and corrects for traffic and weather abnormalities and Tesla charger availability. Paul loves it, but being a GA pilot, it plays into his normal state of travel he's used to because he flies a plane.

Me, I just like to drive where and when I want. I like to use a map to plan my own route and stop for gas when I hit an 1/8th of a tank... (yeah, real Boomer shit - )
You’re taking about a cannonball run not a road trip lmaooo

The average rest stop for a 2 hour drive is 15 minutes. I said 20 minutes if you drive 3.

Are you Jeff Gordon where each rest stop has to be done in 2 minutes? You’re not going to the bathroom? Not letting your kids using the bathroom? What about snacks? Wife needs coffee. There’s a line in the rest stop mini mart.

People saying it’ll take 5 minutes for a complete rest stop experience are talking out of their asshole.

But I love the excuses!! Hahaha