New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

12-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #265
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
It was all over the local news. Michigan is going to officially announce it on Tuesday.
Yes, confirmed by local beat writer Matt Maiocco on twitter.

He will coach today and have Michigan press conference Tuesday.

Best case scenario for 49ers. He goes to college and it won't matter how well he does. They don't have to drag out the NFL trade game (they weren't going to get anything substantial for him). Plus he will have a harder time prying away coveted 49er assistants.

Harbaugh gives Michigan instant credibility.

Now see my previous post and pick your coaching choices.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #266
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Pete caroll said that harbaugh made the seahawks better.

I never really thought about it that way, but it's true. NFC west will not be the same w/o him. It's a little upsetting that a man who did so much in his time there is out the door for BS reasons. Life in the nfl...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #267
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Pete caroll said that harbaugh made the seahawks better.

I never really thought about it that way, but it's true. NFC west will not be the same w/o him. It's a little upsetting that a man who did so much in his time there is out the door for BS reasons. Life in the nfl...
Life in life, forget just the NFL.

Lots of people have and will continue to get raw deals. I don't think Harbaugh is blameless though. You have to get along to get on, and he seems to just want to do his thing and can miss the bigger picture. That's fine as long as you produce, but when you don't, the door hits you in the butt quickly.

Think of all the big mouth diva players who somehow can't seem to get that last look when their on field production dies down.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #268
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Post Harbaugh era has officially begun
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 01:54 AM   #269
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

You know you f*cked up, when Seahawk fans are happy to see Harbaugh leaving. Niners front office like say it is hard to get along with Harbaugh. What it comes down to they are too cheap to pay him the $8 mill Michigan is paying him.

Harbaugh got them to 3 NFC championship games, one Super Bowl. One play away from winning that Super Bowl. Upon that success they got a new stadium built.

Good luck Niners, you will need it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #270
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
Now see my previous post and pick your coaching choices.
Not one person on that list is an upgrade.

LOL at Josh McDaniels. Front office can't be that stupid. Wait...I take that back...they did fire Harbaugh.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #271
exotich1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Monte Carlo Blue X5M

Garage List
2011 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Harbaugh's are some of the best coaches in the NFL. Since John Harbaugh has come to Baltimore, the ravens have been in the post season 6 out of 7 times, and have won a super bowl. San Fran you have made a horrible decision by letting Harbaugh go!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #272
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The bad decision was NOT letting Harbaugh go. It was all the things that were not managed well that led to the relationship between coach and management becoming intolerable.

By Sunday there was no other choice to make. The distraction had trickled into the locker room. This is on Harbaugh and management. No one gets a pass and both will be judged by how they do in the future.

Also as good a coach as Harbaugh was remember the saying "for every beautiful woman there is a man tired of sleeping with her". You can change gender as is your preference.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #273
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here an early list from the Sporting News.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...eadid=outbrain
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #274
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Some good things that came out of the final game of the season for the Niners:

1) The win allowed the Niners to end the season on a positive note at 8-8, instead of 7-9.

2) The win allowed Harbaugh to end his career w/the Niners as the only other head coach without a losing season since Seifert left in 1996.

3) The win ended Harbaugh's career w/the Niners with a record (including the post-season) of 49-22-1. Pretty cool, I think, to end his record w/the Niners with 49 wins.

4) With 144 rushing yards, Gore was able to end the season w/a total of 1106 rushing yards; his 8th 1000+ yard rushing season in his 10 years w/the Niners.

5) With 81 receiving yards, Boldin ws able to end the season with a total of 1062 receiving yards; his 7th 1000+ yard receiving season in his 12 years w/the Niners.

Some things to think about following the final game of the season:

1) Where was the Kap who showed up in this game all year?

The fans were led to believe that the reason Harbaugh chose Kap to supplant Smith, a little over 2 years ago, was because Kap was a QB who could run, avoid sacks, pass deep and make something out of nothing, but that QB has been all but non-existent this season -- except in this game. What happened?

2) Will the Niners stick it out w/Kap or try to find a replacement?

I think the answer will depend a lot on who the Niners select as the new head coach. If Harbaugh remained, there's no doubt that he would have stuck w/Kap because he was Kap's mentor; he drafted and picked Kap to start over Smith after all.

However, Kap still has some glaring weaknesses as a QB and the question will be whether the Niners can improve his ability to read defenses, audible and find his receivers quickly enough, as well as pass more accurately and with more "touch" (instead of throwing the heaters that his receivers had trouble hanging onto this year).

The Niners have an easy out of Kap's BIG contract and I would interpret it as a vote of "no confidence" if the Niners sign one or 2 starter eligible QBs in the off-season. If they do, I think Kap will be on a short leash during training camp and pre-seaon and might get benched, if the "backup's perform better than he does, under the new regime and offense scheme.

3) Gore is a FA next year and there's no guarantee that he'll be back.

Assuming the Niners keep Hyde and Miller, I don't think the Niners will make a strong play to keep Gore. It all depends on how much Gore wants and how much the Niners are willing to pay. At 31 going on 32, Gore still has at least 2-3 solid seasons ahead of him. He's had 8 1000+ yards rushing seasons and his average 4.5 yards per rush has been pretty solid. So, if the Niners don't try to keep him, I doubt he'll have any trouble finding another team to pick him up.

4) Crabtree is also a FA next year and I don't think he'll be back.

Crabtree has generally unperformed as a WR with only a single 1000 yard receiving season in his 6 years with the Niners. His injury last year and the anemic offense this year didn't help but even Boldin was still able to amass over 1000 yards receiving despite the Niners' weak offense this year.

So, I don't see the Niners making a strong play to keep Crabtree "unless" they don't think they can find an acceptable alternative to him in the FA market or via a trade.

5) Thankfully, both Boldin and V. Davis will be back next year to anchor the offense.

Boldin had a solid season this year (again despite the weak offense), but V. Davis all but disappeared. He only had 245 yards receiving in 14 games this season, when he's averaged about 600 yards receiving over the past 9 years. Not sure if this was due to using Davis more as a blocker for run/pass plays (because of the weakness in the offensive line), some change in the use of the TE in the offensive scheme, or some injury or other individual problem.

Whatever the case, the Niners need to get V. Davis more involved in the offense again next year, as he was in the past 3 years when the Niners were much stronger offensively.

It will be interesting to see what the Niners do about all this (and other things) during the off-season.

Last edited by SSW; 12-29-2014 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #275
BKap08
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI

As a Niners fan its absolutely devastating to see Harbaugh gone. The fans and players loved him but the suits in our organization had issues with him.

Reports are saying that Justin Smith is retiring and who knows whats gonna happen with Gore. Both players played HUGE roles for us the past 4 years.

A lot of uncertainty going into next season...if we dont make the playoffs next year this will haunt us for years to come

|2010 E90 LCI 328i|Matte Black grilles|35% Ceramic Tint|Black Chrome Varrstoen ES2|ST Coilovers|Mtech Front Bumper|
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #276
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post
Some good things that came out of the final game of the season for the Niners:

1) The win allowed the Niners to end the season on a positive note at 8-8, instead of 7-9.

2) The win allowed Harbaugh to end his career w/the Niners as the only other head coach without a losing season since Seifert left in 1996.

3) The win ended Harbaugh's career w/the Niners with a record (including the post-season) of 49-22-1. Pretty cool, I think, to end his record w/the Niners with 49 wins.

4) With 144 rushing yards, Gore was able to end the season w/a total of 1106 rushing yards; his 8th 1000+ yard rushing season in his 10 years w/the Niners.

5) With 81 receiving yards, Boldin ws able to end the season with a total of 1062 receiving yards; his 7th 1000+ yard receiving season in his 12 years w/the Niners.

Some things to think about following the final game of the season:

1) Where was the Kap who showed up in this game all year?

The fans were led to believe that the reason Harbaugh chose Kap to supplant Smith, a little over 2 years ago, was because Kap was a QB who could run, avoid sacks, pass deep and make something out of nothing, but that QB has been all but non-existent this season -- except in this game. What happened?

2) Will the Niners stick it out w/Kap or try to find a replacement?

I think the answer will depend a lot on who the Niners select as the new head coach. If Harbaugh remained, there's no doubt that he would have stuck w/Kap because he was Kap's mentor; he drafted and picked Kap to start over Smith after all.

However, Kap still has some glaring weaknesses as a QB and the question will be whether the Niners can improve his ability to read defenses, audible and find his receivers quickly enough, as well as pass more accurately and with more "touch" (instead of throwing the heaters) as he did this year.

The Niners have an easy out of Kap's BIG contract and I would interpret it as a vote of "no confidence" if the Niners sign one or 2 starter eligible QBs in the off-season. If they do, I think Kap will be on a short leash during training camp and pre-seaon and might get benched, if the "backup's perform better than he does, under the new regime and offense scheme.

3) Gore is a FA next year and there's no guarantee that he'll be back.

Assuming the Niners keep Hyde and Miller, I don't think the Niners will make a strong play to keep Gore. It all depends on how much Gore wants and how much the Niners are willing to pay. At 31 going on 32, Gore still has at least 2-3 solid seasons ahead of him. He's had 8 1000+ yards rushing seasons and his average 4.5 yards per rush has been pretty solid. So, if the Niners don't try to keep him, I doubt he'll have any trouble finding another team to pick him up.

4) Crabtree is also a FA next year and I don't think he'll be back.

Crabtree has generally unperformed as a WR with only a single 1000 yard receiving season in his 6 years with the Niners. His injury last year and the anemic offense this year didn't help but even Boldin was still able to amass over 1000 yards receiving despite the Niners' weak offense this year.

So, I don't see the Niners making a strong play to keep Crabtree "unless" they don't think they can find an acceptable alternative to him in the FA market or via a trade.

5) Thankfully, both Boldin and V. Davis will be back next year to anchor the offense.

Boldin had a solid season this year (again despite the weak offense), but V. Davis all but disappeared. He only had 245 yards receiving in 14 games this season, when he's averaged about 600 yards receiving over the past 9 years. Not sure if this was due to using Davis more as a blocker for run/pass plays (because of the weakness in the offensive line), some change in the use of the TE in the offensive scheme, or some injury or other individual problem.

Whatever the case, the Niners need to get V. Davis more involved in the offense again next year, as he was in the past 3 years when the Niners were much stronger offensively.

It will be interesting to see what the Niners do about all this (and other things) during the off-season.
Kaepernick stays and they will honestly try to sign Gore, but it will also depend on the new coaching staff. He may want to go elsewhere.

Crabtree is gone. They already have Bolden, Johnson, Patton, and Ellington under contract and there is no room for an expensive number 2 receiver with no deep speed on this team. They will draft a deep threat or try and acquire one.

Davis is the big mystery. No idea what happened this year with him. Hoping for a comeback season next year.

Just hoping they stab away from Josh McDaniel's. No interest in that guy at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #277
marksae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

I know a lot of the focus right now is on Harbaugh leaving, but I'm trying to look at the bigger picture. The roster still has a lot of talent on it. On D, Willis and Bowman should be back, so hopefully they'll both be back to playing at a high level.

On offense, we need to figure out who's going to play at left guard if Iupati leaves. We also need to find a better backup tackle cuz Jonathan Martin has got to go! The lasting image from this season was watching him get beat repeatedly!! The o-line played so much better when Anthony Davis was in. Hopefully he'll be able to stay healthy. Gore needs to be back! He's still got gas left in the tank. Hyde would use another season or two playing along side him.

As much credit as Harbaugh got for the recent success, a lot of it also needs to go to Fangio and the defensive staff. The defense is what carried the team to the 3 deep playoff runs. I'm hoping Fangio and staff stays intact with an overhaul of the offensive staff. Hopefully, whoever they hire, they can get Kap to play more like Russell Wilson.

IG: @gearheadtwins
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #278
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksae View Post
I know a lot of the focus right now is on Harbaugh leaving, but I'm trying to look at the bigger picture. The roster still has a lot of talent on it. On D, Willis and Bowman should be back, so hopefully they'll both be back to playing at a high level.

On offense, we need to figure out who's going to play at left guard if Iupati leaves. We also need to find a better backup tackle cuz Jonathan Martin has got to go! The lasting image from this season was watching him get beat repeatedly!! The o-line played so much better when Anthony Davis was in. Hopefully he'll be able to stay healthy. Gore needs to be back! He's still got gas left in the tank. Hyde would use another season or two playing along side him.

As much credit as Harbaugh got for the recent success, a lot of it also needs to go to Fangio and the defensive staff. The defense is what carried the team to the 3 deep playoff runs. I'm hoping Fangio and staff stays intact with an overhaul of the offensive staff. Hopefully, whoever they hire, they can get Kap to play more like Russell Wilson.
All good points, and I want to keep the defensive staff as well.
They key is Kaepernick must be more effective next year. Also the o-line must play better and the d line will need to bolster smith (if he doesn't retire) and replace McDonald.

Glass half full means defense comes back dominant as always and offense improves.

Glass half empty means age/injuries/addictions prevent players returning to form and no improvement at QB.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #279
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Bring back Singletary
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #280
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Bring back Singletary
I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to suggest that.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 11:25 PM   #281
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Let kap be qb/coach.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #282
exotich1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Monte Carlo Blue X5M

Garage List
2011 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Bring Back Troy Smith! First black quarterback to start for San Francisco!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #283
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotich View Post
Bring Back Troy Smith! First black quarterback to start for San Francisco!
at least Troy isn't a stiff when he runs with the ball. If only he wasn't sick when Kyle Boller went down in Baltimore...Flacco might have been sitting for a while....
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #284
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
They key is Kaepernick must be more effective next year.
He won't be.

He's been on the decline since their Super Bowl run.
      01-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #285
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Niners to interview Mike Shanahan. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 07:48 PM   #286
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Niners to interview Mike Shanahan. Thoughts?
Here was my opinion 12/22
Mike Shanahan- Coaching roots in SF, offensive coach, and has won multiple Super Bowls. Seems to have been on the right side of the RG3 conflict as well. Concern is he had clashes with the front office and is used to having significant control over personnel. May cause the defensive coaching staff to break up. A bit of a retread.

I wouldn't have a big issue with the hire, but the more I think about it, the more I want Fangio. Just would like to know who he is bringing in to run the offense.
Appreciate 0