New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Exclamation BMW CEO's Dream Machine in the works : BMW Z Spyder Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott26
The Ultimate Dream Machine : BMW Z Spyder Stradale

Now that BMW have commenced the current priority Project-i initiative in developing new concepts for sustainable mobility , now attention turns to the Premium segment , especially where high end luxury is concerned.

With a burgeoning premium compact sector to contend with also BMW are again returning to their previous strategy is bring exciting new premium concepts to the market.

If we look at what was then and scheduled before the world's economy took a turn for the worst there was several projects all in different levels of excitement in development or evaluation.

Just as we have seen the Gran Coupe arise like a Phoenix from the flames of the Concept CS (Phoenix Rising? (Possibly?)). Another project is about to complete it's Lazarus moment .

Norbert Reithofer's "Dream Project"
BMW "Z" Spyder Stradale.

Originally put forward in 2005 when Norbert Reithofer took the reigns of the BMW Group as a highly emotive dream project that embodies the epitome of BMW's values , premium luxury , forward thinking design and great driving dynamics. Two years of feasibility studies and development of ideas came to a close when the economy went into meltdown.

Why not a Roadster?

The term Spyder Stradale is a concept not unknown to BMW , a streamlined version of the 328MM was termed as the Spyder Stradale.

With BMW's apparent use for currently using such grand emotive terms for their new concepts for example "Gran Turismo" and soon "Gran Coupe" and "Shooting Brake" to describe a luxurious way to travel. BMW seem keen on resurrecting the term "Spyder Stradale" for it's new premium high end Sport's car.

With BMW's attention on making such exciting projects that will spawn from the upcoming next generation BMW 1er . They are keen to spread this across to the premium segment , Gran Coupe is one such concept . Spyder Stradale will be another.

BMW see the Spyder Stradale as a car to eject more emotion into the BMW brand at the upper end of the luxury segment in a specific class BMW are well inversed in , some to great success, some to not so great success.

The idea for the Spyder Stradale takes off from the original BMW California Spyder Project, a low driving position , set back towards the rear axle with a heavily raked screen and long hood and short rear overhang.

Form and function is equally important and there is evaluation to present the car when the customer opens the door.

It could be like a scissor style ( a bit too common) , Conventional (never fails) or indeed rear hinged (too Rolls-Royce?)

The return of the Spyder is due in turn to BMW preparing for it's future and without Project-i Spyder Stradale would not exist.

The key is BMW's joint venture with SGL Carbon which will produce components and panels for the mega city vehicles and eventually spread to other BMW models. With the Spyder Stradale being one of the beneficiaries. Because this joint venture is going to be highly cost effective for BMW that future cars will see more mainstream approaches to using carbon fibre in reducing weight in some of today's concepts, tomorrow.

The Spyder Stradale takes off where the Z8 left and retains an aluminium structure , the front of the car will be a mix of steel , aluminium and magnesium. For the passenger area there is an addition of a carbon fibre tub that will be bonded on the aluminium floorplan. The rear cross frames will also be carbon fibre with the rear suspension a mix of aluminium , magnesium and steel.

The original idea of a folding Hardtop is retained with it's two piece folding top being constructed of carbon fibre. The door skins and bonnet will be aluminium with reinforced plastic being used for the front wings and rear bootlid.

Design elements are still in the gestation period but expect a very sport , animalistic front end with signature indicators ( a feature of all up and coming BMW Coupe's and Roadster's) underneath the mainlight units which will be smaller thanks to the latest developments in LED technology.

Efficient Dynamics is never forgetten when we conceive a new BMW and Spyder Stradale is no different. The usual expectations of Stop-Start technology , Brake energy regeneration etc will all be there. But the design of the car will use the same approach as taken with the Vision Efficient Dynamics and use an advanced aerodynamic approach in it's surface treatment. Another up and coming term which will be coming soon is Active Aerodynamics. In the Spyder Stradale because the larger kidney grille allows air into the engine , a smaller scoop underneath the licence plate in the centre conceals a movable front spoiler that moves in direction of airflow. At the rear of the car for the first time in a BMW we will see a Pop-Up Aerodynamic aid which will lift up and then slide out , an additional lip on the top of the spoiler also raises for extra downforce.

The interior is being seen as " An environment that is free of complications or distractions" lightweight bucket seats with a hooded collar can be covered in leather or a range of sustainable materials , Sharkskin is looking to be an unconventional choice in a search for a new luxury.
The dash of the car lives up to the above comment as it is very minimalsitic , larger airvents are removed in place of thin strips across the dash , Z4 like metallic knobs face the drive in the centre of the dash with the dash being more raked at an angle , a central screen sits in the top end for the iDrive control . Entertainment and navigation functions are hidden from view in which could only decribe the dash as minimalistic.

Another factor in the Spyder Stradale's cost effectiveness is the sharing of the backbone and major components from the matrix that spawns the 5,6 and 7 series. The Spyder Stradale could also form the basis of a Two seater Rolls-Royce Roadster in which customers have asked for something more "Intimate" than a Drophead Coupe.

Sustainable drive trains could feature within the Spyder Stradale as a susbstitute for conventional petrol choices. A Mild or Full Hybrid could be offered with the electric motors being placed alongside the transmission ,as can a variation on BMW's upcoming Hydrogen fuel cell technology. Petrol engines could retain a high performance V8 or indeed a V10 study that BMW considered for the next M5 which would release more than 600 PS, this could either be mated to a conventional automatic transmission or a future 9 speed double clutch transmission.

Since the project has recently got underway and the excitement of such a concept is filling the corridors with excitement it is possible the "Vision" designation could be attatched to this concept , possibly to embody it's German ancestory and debut at next year's IAA in Frankfurt.

A Production car would not arrive until 2014.

What's in a name? The usual suspects have been identified such as Z6 , Z8 , Z9 or even Z10, But the Spyder Stradale designation will remain all it needs is a figure.

There is still plenty of time to Dream.

Scott26
" The dream is going to become a reality"

Last edited by BMW269; 05-16-2010 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Scott... If you were a woman I would love you...

Got to be said though... NINE speed transmission?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Yeah, seems pretty outrageous to me as well... although isn't that what they are going for with concepts like this?
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Yeah, but surely we are getting to the point were some kind of CVT is preferable! Not sure how many gears (out of 9) would be used actually for acceleration, and how many would be used for economical cruising... but heck, my old E24 did with a 3spd box!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

ill take mine with the V10, 9-spd, and sharkskin seats

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Is 2014 too soon to see this introduced in the car?
http://www.gizmag.com/d-drive-redux/15120/
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M1

Is this suppose to be an R8 competitor? Or whatever the R8's predecessor will be?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Good luck to BMW with the project. The sketch is so stylized it could turn into anything, and "stradale" bring to mind Ferrari 250 LM Stradale Speciale by Pininfarina.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiheung View Post
Is 2014 too soon to see this introduced in the car?
http://www.gizmag.com/d-drive-redux/15120/
No, 2014 is not too soon to see lousy reporting. I believe this type of unreliable reporting will still be around at that time.
      05-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

one can still dream
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
No, 2014 is not too soon to see lousy reporting. I believe this type of unreliable reporting will still be around at that time.
Touche - they have gone back on a lot of their initial claims.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

True, we've been duped before but................

This time I believe it is real.

Why?

Well, we ARE seeing the CS concept come to life in the Gran Coupe.

Also, they are building the gorgeous Vision concept etc....

So finally we are seeing BMW return to its roots of delivering exciting vehicles as well as mainstream taxis.........
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
i'll believe it when i see it
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 02:06 AM   #14
v1p3r
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d M-Sport EBII

I too am a bit skeptical, but "ScottXX" has come through too many times to ignore this and pass off as BS. If this does in fact get built, BMW will be to blame for my venture into drug dealing, extortion etc to finance it. LOL. Sounds absolutely awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 03:13 AM   #15
Mpistolis21
Rep
Drives: series 335i E90

Oh my god! It seems to be a new Z8! Or just the SLS killer...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 03:27 AM   #16
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Scott said it is going to be lighter than 1350 kg, it means lighter than 458 Italia, 911 GT2 RS and so closer to MP4-12C which is 1300 kg. And this with a V10.

There is so much happening at BMW and BMW M now.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:53 AM   #17
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
And this with a V10.
I personally would not bank on that V10. An S63-derived V8 seems much more likely.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #18
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

R8 spyder beater??????
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #19
MainDeck
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 E24 6 Series

I think they are coming out with some new concepts right now. Concepts are always fun to look at, but at the same time... I don't know. I just think it's a little silly. Like a game some retailers play. We know these cars will never hit the market. But I guess seeing SOME of the future is better than nothing.
funny facebook status

Last edited by MainDeck; 04-22-2012 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #20
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

They have started a strategy to turn the Vision Connected Drive into a BMW M sports car. Planned for a debut after 2015 , The planned model is expected to be lightweight , powered by a Specially massaged Six Cylinder powerplant with double-clutch transmission. And Active-M Tech (more on that in a months time)

The BMW Board saw the interpretation of the Coupe and were blown away.

i8 is one thing - The Vision Connected Drive is another.
Both are being investigated and evaluated for production.
One thing discussed is the Vision Connected Drive being given a "roof" for a future showing to test the water.

Given the 1er/3er matrix is adaptable for mid engine placement is a benefit to the R&D engineers.

The arrival date procedes that BMW will be able to bring and spread costs of carbon Fibre to a more cost effective level when it is in full mass production. But the plan is to bring a more enthusiast friendly approach to a BMW Sports Car . i8 is tomorrows Vision but not everybody will get behind the wheel . This is for the masses.

It will be a true sports car but it will done the BMW way and no one else's.
Attached Images