New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #23
Oh Captain My Captain
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
I just went a little out of control in a quest to over indulge my wife.
They (wives) do make it fun though don't they?
      02-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #24
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

vintage will you be looking at fitting downpipes for the car?

cant wait for your photos and videos to be posted up !
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #25
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Good news and BAD

Quick review with photos to follow.

First for the BAD: the FMIC is not yet on. Stett made two new brackets modified from the 3 series bracket and one more must be cut from the Machine Shop for the final product. The car will go back in next week for the final fitment and then we will have something truly awesome. Also, the Cold Air just cannot fit no matter how hard they tried - it gets way too tight upfront to make it work without doing some major modification - this sucks but I will live. Does anyone have a great intake filter for the stock airbox??? BMC maybe? Are there any other good alternatives other than dual cones - I refuse to suck hot engine bay air into the system; that defeats the FMIC for goodness sake.

Second, the GOOD: Eisenmann 2x90 Race Exhaust is on and it sounds great - especially when you have your foot jammed in it and the gears change. Is it worth $3,100? For my wife, yes, and I love it too. The sound is melodic to us. Plus, it looks way better all polished up bright stainless mufflers and tips not to mention a significant weight loss. I really hated the way the stock exhaust cans hung down and were ugly visible flat, dirty metal. I know, I know, if I do not post pics it did not happen.

Third, ESS tune: AMAZING, you should all buy it now. It is definitely more power but that is only a small part of the story. The main difference is that the small amount of "lag" that was present at starts and heavy throttle application is COMPLETELY GONE. The engine purrs, the throttle is sensitive but very manageable, and the responsiveness is awesome - BMW should pay ESS for this tune; why can't the awesome Germans do this from the go? This is the best $ for $ purchase for the car - combined with the Eisenmann exhaust - KILLER.

Fourth, Stett Charge/Dual Diverter Pipe: looks really cool as my wife wanted hers powder coated red. It sits under the stock airbox for all of you wondering like I was as a mechanical stump. Again, pics to follow. The super cool thing about this pipe is that it has the inlets for methanol included on the pipe. I do not think we will run methanol as, even for us, that is over the top, but with the Charge Pipe it would be simple, cheap, and add crazy power.

Look, this set up with the FMIC, which is soon to come will be ridiculous - it already is and when we burn our first Porsche or Corvette, I will let you know.

Finally, once the FMIC is on, I doubt that 1 series on this site that claims to be the fastest N54 around will still be true. With these products and the DCT, watch the heck out. I will not drag this car and tear it up but a head to head with a 1 series would be fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #26
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep

cant wait to see pictures!

use BMS drop in filter. it makes a slight gain over stock for sure. I had BMS single cone intake in, the heatsoak makes me took it out a day later.

What kind of gains are you looking with the ESS tune? Granted ESS and JB3 has each pros and cons, I think power wise a JB3 on >map 7 should put down more power.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #27
EandS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

VintageBMW,

Have the ESS folk given you any indication when the DIY software flash for the tune will be available? We prefer being able to add and remove the tune ourselves. At the end of this past September we were in touch with Roman at ESS about this matter and were left with the impression its availability was imminent, but we've heard no more about it. The thought of having to remove the DME and send it to ESS to have anything done for the tune doesn't appeal to us.

We're hugely enjoying reading about all of your various mods. Thanks for sharing.

Best wishes,
Ed
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #28
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

what about the aFe drop in filter - I just looked that up; opinions anybody?

ESS says 60-70 rwhp with the Stage 2 tune - and I do not doubt it; regardless, it is a quality tune that has improved the cars driving characteristics
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #29
Lewis@MWDesign
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.5i 6spd

Quote:
what about the aFe drop in filter - I just looked that up; opinions anybody?

ESS says 60-70 rwhp with the Stage 2 tune - and I do not doubt it; regardless, it is a quality tune that has improved the cars driving characteristics
With the performance mods you are planning on putting in, why not go with the STAGE 3? Just curious as I am going with a similar route as you but planning on doing STAGE 3.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #30
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis@MWDesign View Post
With the performance mods you are planning on putting in, why not go with the STAGE 3? Just curious as I am going with a similar route as you but planning on doing STAGE 3.
I am trying to make sure that no harm comes to the DCT; with the upgrades we have installed the torque is almost to the rated limit of the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #31
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandS View Post
VintageBMW,

Have the ESS folk given you any indication when the DIY software flash for the tune will be available? We prefer being able to add and remove the tune ourselves. At the end of this past September we were in touch with Roman at ESS about this matter and were left with the impression its availability was imminent, but we've heard no more about it. The thought of having to remove the DME and send it to ESS to have anything done for the tune doesn't appeal to us.

We're hugely enjoying reading about all of your various mods. Thanks for sharing.

Best wishes,
Ed
Ed - I will check with Stett Performance because they installed the ESS tune for us. So, I do not know whether it was a simple software download or if they had to ship off the DME. I do not blame you for not wanting to ship off your DME . . . but the ESS tune is really great and I could not recommend it more highly.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #32
ramiles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 2010

Curious what are the rated limits of the Dual Clutch Transmission? What is the margin of strength before it becomes an issues (torque and tires). Am guessing it is a fairly new unit - maybe its fairly robust. Have read about issues with the HPFP, haven't heard any items with the tranny.

Last edited by ramiles; 02-24-2010 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #33
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep

any updates on the fmic??
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #34
Dave Driver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 3.0i Black

Sweet Ride! enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #35
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg-e89 View Post
any updates on the fmic??
YES - the Z4 goes back in on March 13 for a week while we are on vacation. The FMIC will have the final install at that time. We are very excited about it and will post pictures of the sweet mount bracket, tubing, and FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #36
Oh Captain My Captain
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Although I did a double-take with the thumbs-up pose; it appeared that your wife had a freakishly-large left hand.
      03-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #37
Eddie_440i
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Bmw 440i GC

You have find the perfect wife !

Like bmw
Like Tuning
And she looks sweet !

i dont need more ?

Hehe.

I have a 125i now but i am looking on 35IS in blue.

with ESS stage 3

what do you say ?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #38
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Captain My Captain View Post

Although I did a double-take with the thumbs-up pose; it appeared that your wife had a freakishly-large left hand.
yes, the picture with the BMW delivery guy at the Welt does make it look like her left arm and hand are large - very funny stuff

that being said, she is perfect in my eyes and has been since we started dating in 1987
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #39
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_125i View Post
You have find the perfect wife !

Like bmw
Like Tuning
And she looks sweet !

i dont need more ?

Hehe.

I have a 125i now but i am looking on 35IS in blue.

with ESS stage 3

what do you say ?
thanks - I will pass along your comment

yes, go with the ESS tune it is great - for us, the Stage II is plenty; if you are going State 2 or 3 you should probably look at some intake and exhaust mods
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #40
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
thanks - I will pass along your comment

yes, go with the ESS tune it is great - for us, the Stage II is plenty; if you are going State 2 or 3 you should probably look at some intake and exhaust mods
Stage 2 is our most popular tune for the Z435i. Stage 3 requires an aftermarket intercooler and 93 octane. Stage 3 is also much more dependent on fuel quality unlike stage 2 that can run on 91 or 93.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #41
alpha325i
this chick >
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Are you sure about the negative statement you made about the BMS dual cone intake? They have a dyno result

http://www.burgertuning.com/images/filterdyno.jpg

E90 325i - totaled 03/17/10 (R.I.P.)
E92 328i - took delivery 04/02/10
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #42
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am sure. Once the engine heats up, nice and toasty at about 250 degrees F, the dual cone results will suffer greatly. I have no doubt that while the motor is cooler that the dual cones will produce more power because they will suck in more air. So, make sure you race people before the car has warmed up to its normal operating temp. and let her rip. They do sound good with all of that air being sucked in to the cones.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #43
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
So, make sure you race people before the car has warmed up to its normal operating temp. and let her rip.
Then again you shouldn't really rev the engine before it's warmed up to its normal operating temperature, so you're screwed either way
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #44
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
Then again you shouldn't really rev the engine before it's warmed up to its normal operating temperature, so you're screwed either way
yes, you are correct; these companies install dual cones and dyno them with the hood open or engine cold, or both, and then post awesome hp gains. they do sound great and they produce a lot of power until your hood is closed and your car reaches its normal operating temp. I am hoping Dinan will come out with their cold air intake and larger oil cooler for my wife's e89 - they claim they are working on it. That would be really nice plus some Brembo brakes will probably be the last mods, although I am closely eying the ADV1 10.1 wheels - gorgeous and aggressive.
Appreciate 0