New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-17-2022, 01:48 PM   #23
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

She's actually in a school for gifted kids, on a scholarship, though they thought of not having her at home is very "attractive"
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 02:04 PM   #24
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I believe that CTinline-six can probably elaborate further, but I am under the impression that K-12 schools are required to lock down computers and provide censor tools by federal law. At one point, I believe that it was even codified as a condition of receiving E-Rate funding.

Are they in violation of the law for not blocking those sites? More importantly, are YOU legally on the hook for anything that your minor child does on social media? It's a huge problem in these parts with kids using snapchat and other similar apps to bully others and make bomb threats that seem to be closing schools almost daily in our region.

I can tell you what happens when a teacher in a room of 5th graders tells them to search the web for nun pictures when Net Nanny is malfunctioning, and it isn't pretty when it takes them to OnlyFans fetish sites.....

They are required to block certain sites with adult content, but a lot of it is left up to the state networks. My company worked with several school districts and the range of what they blocked varied greatly, a lot of it depended on what tools they had in place.

The problem is you can't block everything. Kids will Google search their way around to find what they want, and once one finds out what bypasses the filter they all will find it. You can try blocking Google, Youtube, etc, and one school did that, but then there was an uproar by the parents in a matter of days so bad that the superintendent had us return everything back. As much as I can relate, IT in schools is one of those situations where you just can't win, because there are too many constituents who all want different things.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615263.50